Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

The Stoltec Moto Tenere 700 Build Thread

Stoltec Moto

• Supporting Vendor
Stoltec Moto

<Yawwwwwwwn>

Wakey wakey from the mid-winter's slumber.  Preoccupation with other projects has delayed this build thread for too long.  Despite 2+ feet of snow on the ground, spring isn't too far away, and it's time to kick this into high gear.  Plus, I need capture the things I've already done...before CRS settles in and I forget.  Posting on the internet has turned into a chore the past couple years for me, so please...engage with us on this post and keep the content flowing.  Lest I get sidetracked...again!

We'll start this thread with a minor history lesson.  Our Tenere 700 days actually go all the way back to the Tenere 1200 as-released here in the US back in 2011.  I had a couple friends at the time who fled from #sportbikelife to the big 'ol girl, and subsequently, fell in love.  Frankly, so did I.  Turns out, after we dialed in the suspension, that bike could really hustle.  Despite the 600 lb curb weight, it could run down much smaller/faster bikes on the right roads.  All the while being comfortable as hell.  I still dig it's purposeful good looks and the lack of a beak.

Fast forward a few years, we fell into the MT-09, XSR900, FJ-09, MT-10 hole - hard!  For good reason, too.  Yamaha knocked it out of the park on those bikes and they have been a (very) steady stream of business since 2013.  Tuning Yamahas has turned into our bread and butter, so as soon as the T7 was teased, we were instantly intrigued.  In fact, I'll admit, a little too intrigued.  We had a 'good' source within Yamaha who insisted that the T7 wasn't far off from a US release (-joke's on you, Stoltec!), so we sold our project FZ-10 in order to make room for the new project.  Turns out that was more than a little premature.

So when the Tenere 700 was announced for the rest of the world, I'll be honest - I was more than a little irritated.  From my self-centered point of view, I was miffed that our European and Australian brothers would have earlier access to the bike for development.  It's hard to remain in business when others have a substantial head start.  But be that as it may, we put a deposit down when the US pre-order was announced.  Figured it would still be a kick ass bike to challenge the orange wave from Austria.

And then COVID hit in March.  No one wants to relive 2020, so I'll spare the details and leave it at "things were uncertain".  Not so much for Stoltec Moto, but for motorcycling in general.  Leading up to 2020, motorcycle sales were (generally) cratering and aftermarket sales were waning (although lagging the sales curve).  Many theories abound, but that's a story for another day.  So, we did what any apocalypse-fearing motorcyclist would do, and we postponed our pre-order to re-evaluate at a later date.  And, as we now now, social distancing coupled with summer and an unprecedented in-flow of government stimulus boosted the motorcycle market.  2020 ended up blowing our projections out of the water...so what the hell, roll the dice with the baby Tenere!

Every post needs a picture, so here's an obligatory short on the first day.

Day1bike.jpg.a36151cefb3aa37cea9f485a71195d10.jpg

And for proof, note the mileage on the cluster...

Day1.thumb.jpg.e031065553570ac187f02633e6a2d843.jpg

And like all good things, it'll never be this clean again.  I'd be lying if a little piece of me didn't die when the first spec of dust hit this adventure bike...

• Like 5

961362084_468x60Stoltec.png.007fa8bc922e0e30cea1cde037ff2aa2.png

stoltecmoto.com | 610.252.7232

DT675

Great story! Buried in snow or not,  below 0 temperatures or not, I’m pumped for spring!  Can’t wait for the 1st ride of 2021!

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
Stoltec Moto
On 2/10/2021 at 11:41 PM, DT675 said:

Great story! Buried in snow or not,  below 0 temperatures or not, I’m pumped for spring!  Can’t wait for the 1st ride of 2021!

It takes a special breed to live in MN.  I can deal with snow snow, but personally, I can't handle subzero temps.  20's are as low as I'm comfortable these days.  I have a Socal heart...

worncog

Glad to see you are part of the game for the T7. Your Penske valves and associated bits turned my S10 into a canyon carving ticket maker! But I digress. Glad to see you have a T7 in hand and look forward to what Stoltec brings forth. 

• Like 2
  • Supporting Vendor
Stoltec Moto

I've been around Yamaha's matte black paints enough to appreciate them for their pros and cons.  They look great in the sun with a subtle metallic flake.  However, they show every Godforsaken fingerprint, bug, and oily smudge.  More annoyingly, they scratch easily and fixing with the traditional compound/wax materials means the surface never looks the same again (i.e. 'polished').  So, you end up having to do everything to keep a uniform look.

At this point you're probably wondering why in the hell anyone would really care about a little wear and tear on an ADVENTURE bike.  Fair point, but respectfully, pipe down in the peanut gallery.  My German heritage and a touch of OCD won't let me adopt that way of thinking.  Until the bike takes its first dirt nap, anyway.

So, the solution:  Tech Specs!  No rocket science here, and because I'm late to the party, I didn't even have to make any patterns for this kit (as we've done on the various FZ-09 iterations).  And, frankly, the patterns are pretty good.  Everything fits and looks great on the bike!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Opted out of the tail section bits - mostly because I have other plans and didn't want to add unnecessary weight.  But, yeah, it looks and feels good while riding! 

Normally at this point, I'd divert your attention to another post for some introductory pricing or a group buy.  Since I'm truly late to that party as well, we won't be doing that.  But...if there is demand, we'll entertain it.  So...post up if you're interested.  Otherwise, see here:

https://stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/tenere700/20-tenere-700-tech-specs-tank-grips/

• Supporting Vendor
Stoltec Moto

I should have added this to the first post for those in the TL;DR camp (guilty as charged, at times): 

Either way, I'm still totally impressed with this bike even after a few months of ownership.  I've had the pleasure of owning a ton of bikes throughout the years, and we've had the luck of working on a good variety, as well.  Spoiled is a good descriptor.  And yet, this bike continues to meet or exceed my expectations in so many areas.  Ergonomics are great, the 21" front doesn't inhibit on-road handling AT ALL, the tires are a good great 'upgrade' to have from the factory, and the engine is really quite excellent.

Frankly, my opinion of the engine is was continues to surprise me the most.  As I mentioned in the video, I'm likely the only person on earth who didn't love the FZ-07.  It was more than capable, very well put together, and in general, very well sorted and balanced.  But still, our long-term project just never inspired me.  Coming into the T7, I was cautiously optimistic that the engine would be better in this chassis.  At least, that's what I convinced myself of when writing that $10K check.  Luckily for me, I was pretty much spot on.

Of course, the engine is more or less than same as the MT-07.  But the shorter final drive gearing is just what the doctor called for...and is responsible for my love.  Whether trolling around local backroads, the city, or loose surfaces, it just works.  My initial impression was that the gearing made the engine a little vibey for the highway, but I'm ready to rewrite that opinion.  Either the engine loosened up during break-in or I've gotten used to it.  Either way, I have no issues with it at 80 mph.  That says a lot considering this machine is down 75+ hp over my other bikes.  It doesn't hurt that the intake and exhaust sound great for factory parts.   Definitely a bit more soul than the -07 bikes have.  Not enough to be obnoxious (only Ducati has figured out how to make a loud factory bike), but soulful all the same.  Aside from dropping some weight, I personally wouldn't change the muffler for the sake of sound.  Good job Yamaha!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...