Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Harley Pan America

Marc

On 2/25/2021 at 1:40 PM, Louis said:

I don't think I will ever have one in my garage, but  finally harley is going in a better direction.....I think this model will become a cult-like classic, simply because it's so ugly. 

Agreed on both counts & must admit, there’s a curious (small) part of me that would be keen to throw a leg over one before chucking anymore sh*t at it.  If for no other reason just to satisfy that curiosity.

It is a motorcycle after all. 

• Like 2

who needs a Pan Amrican --- this lad seems to do okay----   🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cstatman said:

who needs a Pan Amrican --- this lad seems to do okay----   🙂

I don't imagine the back pain hi must have after a day of ride!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Here's a video of the journalists on a test. Interesting, could be a better bike than we thought, if it is reliable that is. So nice features too.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Yeah... a BMW rider who says another bike has a lack of quality. Good one.

33 minutes ago, Rocky_Mtn_T7 said:

After seeing this Pan American Owner video, I think reliable is the key word here.

Oh and the end of the video is the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kAFtQaVoIk

Well, that's a typical Harley with the typical Harley troubles.  However, I didn't know the first thing about the T7 when I bought it so this may have happened to me too.  But, Yamaha makes a pretty good product and I wasn't too worried.  And the Yamaha has been totally satisfactory for me. 

What a big disappointment for that fellow.   I'd like to hear from others who own one.

• Supporting Vendor

Mine showed up in June and I've gotten a few rides in on it. Lots of tech, gobs of power over 5k rpm but is a bit lacking for low-end grunt. I haven't had any reliability issues, that been said, I only have 1000km on it. I buzzed around a bit with my girlfriend on the back, it's a great bike for 2-up. I've ridden it a bit offroad, as expected, it's a handful. I'm undecided if I'll keep it after we're done making parts for it. We'll see how I feel after I put some more miles on it.

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

It's always better to hear an honest review from an actual owner and what they have first hand experienced with on any bike. I have always taken the reviews from journalists with a grain of salt. Most of them have just a days ride on a bike at best and they usually have nothing but good things to say because the manufacturers are paying for them to give a so called good "honest" review of their bike. They know if they give any kind of negative review they won't be asked to come back for another review. So they just stick to the things they liked about the bike and stay away from any negative comments. I hope RyanF9 gets a chance to review a Pan American since he one of the few that gives honest reviews. If a product sucks, he says so and doesn't b.s. about it. Even if it is something Foutnine.ca sells on their website. But I kind of doubt it since most manufacturers don't like honest reviews. Unless someone let's him ride their personal Pan American? It's always nice to see a none sugar coated review of any product. Unfortunately most journalists will never do that so they can keep their jobs, and keep writing fluff pieces on every bike they test ride. It is funny to see a journalist point out useless positive points on a bike because he doesn't really like the bike or have anything good things to say, lol.

I test rode one, It felt grand as a road bike but I would not fancy taking it off the road. The handlebars felt very flimsy and I don't reckon they'd survive a fall without bending.

A riding buddy of mine is a HD mechanic (ex RAC man who is anal about doing things right) has said that every single one that has come in has been riddled with fault codes and been a pig to start before delivery to customers.

As well as this, there is a Mk 2 version coming in a couple of months to rectify a couple of issues and customers are not to be informed. 

Edited by electric_monk

On 1/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, Landshark said:

Well, that's a typical Harley with the typical Harley troubles.  However, I didn't know the first thing about the T7 when I bought it so this may have happened to me too.  But, Yamaha makes a pretty good product and I wasn't too worried.  And the Yamaha has been totally satisfactory for me. 

What a big disappointment for that fellow.   I'd like to hear from others who own one.

That sucks for that guy.  He has a much better attitude than I would have in that situation.

It is good to see another option for big adventure bikes.  Huge Harley customer base to draw from, but if it's not reliable it will be a failure for sure.  Hopefully they will get things sorted.  

• Like 1

I wonder if the ergonomics on the Pan Am are beer-belly-compliant - or if you even need to grow one to be able to ride it.

At least in Europe it's required for other Harleys (by law, I think, not sure if it is for ergonomical reasons).

Anyway - I actually think it's less ugly than a GS.

• 2 months later...

I crossed one on the road today and I don't seriously find it uglier than the most sold BMW or the big KTM. It's no beauty, but it's not the ugliest out there either. 

And I do think it can be a serious challenge for the fat BMW. It's got lots of stuff, it seems to be equipped with what "people want" (not us, otherwise we wouldn't ride a T7 that prides in not being equipped 😆) and all this at a competitive price tag.

I'd like to test ride it. Once rode a 1200 GS and just thought "wow, this is something I'd never ever buy myself. Wtf is this!?". But that's a personal opinion- and I own a Sportster, which was my most ridden bike before I got the T7.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

One of the better comparison videos of the Pan Am vs BMW 1250 GS vs KTM 1290 Super ADV, for true adventure riding.