Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New Mexico BDR - Sections 1 and 2 Solot

Eric W.

Hi all,

I've done some research on the NMBDR, including a gents daily log (on another site).  I'm planning a trip to NM this summer and would like to do at least sections 1 and 2.  My normal partners in crime are iffy at this point so I may be doing this solo.  The remoteness of the route doesn't bother me at all but I am looking for some insight.  Here are some details

- I'm an experienced tourer but want to see some of the sights up close and not from afar

- My ADV skills should be considered around "adequate".  I grew up in the dirt and spent 10 years on an 1150GS with some ADV riding.  I'm not a  dual sport purist  nor do I wish to become one.  The most technical riding I have been on was the GS on a day route, as part of a led group through some mountains.  For perspective, those guys were on KTMs/Husky's, etc.  The track was double mostly, single at times, with water crossings and a couple of technical, rocky portions.  I made it through ok but they definitely had to wait on me and I definitely don't want to relive that experience.  Just not my cup of tea.

- Things I don't do: anything more than easy/moderate sand and NO technical rocky portions.  I just don't have the skills and again, not my idea of fun.  I'm more into the scenic views than technical riding.

Sections 1 and 2 look like they are right up my alley, but I don't mind hitting the tarmac for miles to avoid the things mentioned above.  

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

@Eric W. Have you taken this trip yet and if so, can you do a write up on the route?   Now that I'm back living in AZ, I'll be wanting to explore the neighboring states BDRs. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Hey!

Sadly I have not.  My T700 seems to stay in the shop and I haven't been able to rely on planning  a tour on it.  I spoke with two sources though:  1) BDR said the southern NMBDR is one of the tamest BDR's there is and 2) a friend of a friend just completed the  entire NMBDR on his R1250GS along with a guy on a CRF250.  Apparently the big GS had no issues keeping up with the CRF.  I was told the only thing to watch out for was rain storms in the summer which creates muddy conditions.  Hope this helps and happy trails!

Eric 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:13 AM, AZJW said:

@Eric W. Have you taken this trip yet and if so, can you do a write up on the route?   Now that I'm back living in AZ, I'll be wanting to explore the neighboring states BDRs. 

Have you checked out

BDR-crest-facebook-230.jpg

This website provides you with GPS tracks, information, and planning tools for each Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR).

Obviously tons of good info there about their route.  They have a video too for each one.  I'm sure there are some Youtube vids too of the route.

I've been watching a bunch of them for the CABDR I'm thinking of doing later this year. 

Off topic but they have a Youtube vid of the 10 routes and how the BDR organization came to be.   Really cool watch.

J

Edited by Goldentaco