Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Off-road mode?

al700

On 1/23/2021 at 5:14 AM, NeverMetThePope said:

I'm just testing a switchable ABS delete using a relay switch to bypass the fuse. 

Turns out you can bypass either the 20amp or the 30amp fuse. Neither affect the dash. 

It's a work in progress but seems to work so far. 

IMG-20210123-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20210123-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20210123-WA0019.jpeg

Any update on how this mod has been working out?? I’m only just past break in but am dying for either an on the fly switch and/or one that won’t reset when I turn the key off. Thanks!

It's working fine. It's a hack, but it works.

I've thrown a couple of engine warning lights since, which don't seem related (can't recall the codes now) which I brought on while I was experimenting with pulling different fuses and running the bike in gear on the centerstand, rather than riding. I suspect prolonged loss of traction on the rear and subsequent mismatch in recorded wheel speed will make it pack a sad, but seems okay. Neither code brought me to a standstill. 

You can't turn it back on, on the fly, unless you turn the ignition off fully and restart the engine. Which you can do while rolling with the clutch in.

It's saved me a couple of times when I've forgotten to engage the factory off road mode and found myself on a steep gravel downhill. 

As long as you've got an OBD2 reader, you should be sweet. Although I do wonder if they boys and girls who are just disconnecting the rear brake from the ABS unit might just have a simpler and more effective solution. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2020 at 12:13 PM, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

ABS Delete isn't that straight forward with any of the modern bikes. You'll get fault lights trying to use a single resistor. FTECU develops ABS Delete blocks that you plug into the ABS module itself, but there is no control through the ECU whatsoever for the ABS system on any Yamaha models. 

Until they develop an ABS Delete kit for these bikes, riders will unfortunately be stuck with the ABS control provided through the stock dash.

Does the FTECU keep all instrumentation correct and no abs light?  I want to remove all abs components and go to simple YZ style braking. 

• 1 month later...