Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Euro 5 Chat

NomadLad

Hi Guys,

I’ve got a deposit down (€500) on a 2021 Tenere 700. I’m honestly considering abandoning my deposit and buying a second hand ‘19/‘20 model.

The more I read, the more I feel like the Euro 5 is going to be restrictive for my plans. I’m not simply talking about the engine etc, because I know it’s barely a noticeable difference in stock form from Euro 4. But I’m bothered by the extra ECU monitoring systems that will stop me from altering fuel maps, flashing ECU etc, also the physical problems that the second Cat on the headers will cause... waiting for new bash plates to be developed etc.

The whole reason I’m getting a Tenere is to make it my long term TET & off-road bike... it’s pretty annoying being limited to an almost stock bike that’s been choked and shackled for the road when you’re planning to put it through hell off road

What do you guys think? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NomadLad said:

Hi Guys,

I’ve got a deposit down (€500) on a 2021 Tenere 700. I’m honestly considering abandoning my deposit and buying a second hand ‘19/‘20 model.

The more I read, the more I feel like the Euro 5 is going to be restrictive for my plans. I’m not simply talking about the engine etc, because I know it’s barely a noticeable difference in stock form from Euro 4. But I’m bothered by the extra ECU monitoring systems that will stop me from altering fuel maps, flashing ECU etc, also the physical problems that the second Cat on the headers will cause... waiting for new bash plates to be developed etc.

The whole reason I’m getting a Tenere is to make it my long term TET & off-road bike... it’s pretty annoying being limited to an almost stock bike that’s been choked and shackled for the road when you’re planning to put it through hell off road

What do you guys think? 

I'm happy with my €4 T7 but I've read a couple of test reviews on the €5 tracer and also the mt07 and they said there's no difference in power noticeable. I'm very curious about the new 2021 engine. I look forward to the first stories about it. 

Cheers Nick! 

• Like 1

Well, that was my thinking too. So, as soon as I knew (the dealer told me) back in November, I bought the bike. I tend to use it the same way  as you, and I love the bike for being simple. Progress is good, generally. But in this case (euro5 for motorcycles), it's just too much. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NickT7 said:

I'm happy with my €4 T7 but I've read a couple of test reviews on the €5 tracer and also the mt07 and they said there's no difference in power noticeable. I'm very curious about the new 2021 engine. I look forward to the first stories about it. 

Cheers Nick! 

Cheers Nick, yeah so far I’ve seen no criticisms. 

Out of excitement, today I read through the owners manual for the €5 model, and it actually mentions the extra sensors etc that feed data to then ECU. Basically any modifications to do with air, fuel, exhaust (ie removal of one of the cats or 02 sensor) could throw up faults. 

the first things I would be doing with the bike would be, pre-filter, more open intake/air box, aftermarket end can, bash plate.... all of which pose potential issues with €5 model. I’ve got some thinking to do!

Edited by NomadLad
  • Like 2

Another part of me thinks that this is the new model going forward, so there will be work-arounds... but at the same time, I have a 2016 tiger 800 XCA and it has restrictions for manipulating the Fuellng with power commanders etc, which haven’t really been worked around yet, without flashing the ECU

There shouldn’t be much difference except the different cat by the header and altered  settings on ECU, 

EU 4 bikes will be the same just on a another setting and we managed to deal with that easily, from what ive picked up there are no more sensors and air pipes that current units, do let it put you off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NomadLad said:

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think? 

Do you have any source stating that there's an added ECU monitoring system on the EURO5 one?
I've been looking around and not found any evidence that are supporting that statement?

14 minutes ago, SimplyDan said:

Do you have any source stating that there's an added ECU monitoring system on the EURO5 one?
I've been looking around and not found any evidence that are supporting that statement?

Both of these attached files are excerpts from the 2021 Euro 5 Tenere 700 owners manual

705DAF97-D99C-44D6-ACFD-60890C425AF9.jpeg

8F2E2A48-A329-4D8D-B50C-8B7A4F6CBAF4.jpeg

5 minutes ago, NomadLad said:

Both of these attached files are excerpts from the 2021 Euro 5 Tenere 700 owners manual

To be honest, in clear text that statement doesn't say much other then that the exhaust and emission values are being monitored by the ECU.

Sounds more like a disclaimer as I doubt for example that changing suspension parts would interfere with the emission control 😉

Rest is all speculations until it's been clearly stated by Yamaha or one of their representatives.

Also FYI, The particular statement you've referred to in the manual is in all new 2021 Yamaha motorcycle manuals.

I believe part of the Euro5 homologation is non-switchable ABS. This may be a problem for some.

• Dislike 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I expect if you want to remove the stock cat you won't have any problem with this. The earlier headers should bolt of just fine and I expect someone will produce and electrical solution. Simple emulators for the sensors whatever they may be. Getting a 2020 one might be easier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canzvt said:

I believe part of the Euro5 homologation is non-switchable ABS. This may be a problem for some.

ABS functionality is unchanged between the Euro4 and Euro5 version of the Ténéré. Still has the possibility to disable it and it’ll activate again the next time you turn off the engine.

Edited by SimplyDan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Canzvt said:

The Euro 5 models have the exact same ABS system as the Euro 4 models. You can switch it off anytime you like provided you are standing still.

Edited by Doc Brown

19 hours ago, NomadLad said:

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think? 

I have exactly the same fears. I have also a Euro 5 on order. My plans are also the same. I need a reliable TET bike. I had planned to remove the OEM header and replace it with a race header without catalytic converter. But it seems that will be impossible.

18 hours ago, NomadLad said:

the first things I would be doing with the bike would be, pre-filter, more open intake/air box, aftermarket end can, bash plate.... all of which pose potential issues with €5 model. I’ve got some thinking to do!

Same here... I have already ordered some parts 😞

15 hours ago, NomadLad said:

I double checked and above text is not contained in the Eur4 models owners manual.

13 hours ago, luke2152 said:

I expect if you want to remove the stock cat you won't have any problem with this. The earlier headers should bolt of just fine and I expect someone will produce and electrical solution. Simple emulators for the sensors whatever they may be. Getting a 2020 one might be easier.

Hope you are right, but I doubt it. Why would they extra mention that in the owners manual?

27 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I have exactly the same fears. I have also a Euro 5 on order. My plans are also the same. I need a reliable TET bike. I had planned to remove the OEM header and replace it with a race header without catalytic converter. But it seems that will be impossible.

Same here... I have already ordered some parts 😞

I double checked and above text is not contained in the Eur4 models owners manual.

Hope you are right, but I doubt it. Why would they extra mention that in the owners manual?

Yeah its a tough one. I'm close to pulling the plug and going for a different bike... whether it be a barely used Euro 4 Tenere 700 or Austrian competitor.... or possibly a 10 year old trail bike for half the price (spending the rest on a rally kit and upgrades).

When I test rode the Ténéré I really liked it, but what I liked the most was how much potential I could see and feel in it... it seems possible that Yamaha have tied the hands of owners when trying to unlock half of that potential on Euro 5+ bikes.

11 minutes ago, NomadLad said:

Yeah its a tough one. I'm close to pulling the plug and going for a different bike... whether it be a barely used Euro 4 Tenere 700 or Austrian competitor.... or possibly a 10 year old trail bike for half the price (spending the rest on a rally kit and upgrades).

When I test rode the Ténéré I really liked it, but what I liked the most was how much potential I could see and feel in it... it seems possible that Yamaha have tied the hands of owners when trying to unlock half of that potential on Euro 5+ bikes.

Problem I have is, there are zero used ones where I live. My buddy has bought the last available Euro 4 from our dealer. I am not amused but it seems I have to live with it. It may take some time and tuners will have found a work around, that's for sure. I will hide the ugly exhaust behind the bash plate. I checked the 21 Rally owners manual and found it is the same bash plate as before....

Looks really like Yamaha engineers wer really on budget when I see this!
tenere-700-2021-skidplate-2-png.2833794

There is no way any existing skidplate will fit with this monster!
Tracer 700 looks more polished!
Nouveauté 2020 : Yamaha Tracer 700, à fleur de pot – Moto-Station

Edited by didier

1 minute ago, didier said:

Looks really like Yamaha engineers wer really on budget when I see this!
tenere-700-2021-skidplate-2-png.2833794

There is no way any existing skidplate will fit with this monster!

This Bart Simpson style engineering kills the good looks. I’m still waiting my bike to be delivered, not going to be happy when I see this.

15 minutes ago, Wizna said:

This Bart Simpson style engineering kills the good looks. I’m still waiting my bike to be delivered, not going to be happy when I see this.

Same here. But it seems the original Yamaha skid plate (the one that is standard on the Rally) will fit.

No worries, in a few months time there will be skidplates that will cover all this and will not be seen.

• Like 1

I really would not worry about it, the last thing that Yamaha want is to produce a EU5 variety. They being told to, all the tuners and non genuine components have got around EU 3-4 and 5 is not gonna be an issue.

This is the 2021 Tenere.

Edited by johnneyflyguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as far as I know only difference is the extra cat on the header pipes. 

otherwise bike and everything is the same. 

if it potentially bothers you so much you can just get decat headers so that bashplates will fit + maybe less ugly. 

should not be a big deal actually this euro 5 t7.