Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

I have changed on my T7: new tires: Bridgestone AX 41 Adv, akra exhaust (without DB killer😜) crash bars, front and back, raised buddy, tail tidy changed, handlebar risers, other hand protection, adjustable brake and clutch lever, foam handles, heated grips, "240 w" LED fog light, headlight protector, stronger carter protection, radiator protector, Side protectection on the engine, led flashing lights, K&N air filter (with foam)E8084A67-C66C-4756-B747-A0E5E108B809.thumb.jpeg.a0e0b0ae5a9a61b28bf57d424b7f44c1.jpeg, chain guide, aluminum chain protector, Front and back springs replaced by Reiger, and a few more things ... Now i think its enough 1f609.png?_nc_eui2=AeHMJ2RLAg5yo2inqBUU6😉

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, John said:

I have changed on my T7: new tires: Bridgestone AX 41 Adv, akra exhaust (without DB killer😜) crash bars, front and back, raised buddy, tail tidy changed, handlebar risers, other hand protection, adjustable brake and clutch lever, foam handles, heated grips, "240 w" LED fog light, headlight protector, stronger carter protection, radiator protector, Side protectection on the engine, led flashing lights, K&N air filter (with foam)E8084A67-C66C-4756-B747-A0E5E108B809.thumb.jpeg.a0e0b0ae5a9a61b28bf57d424b7f44c1.jpeg, chain guide, aluminum chain protector, Front and back springs replaced by Reiger, and a few more things ... Now i think its enough 1f609.png?_nc_eui2=AeHMJ2RLAg5yo2inqBUU6😉

Top man. Looks ace. Cracking job

• Like 2

hi rich, 

thanks for sharing your experience. 

i am surprised to learn you are now sitting lower with a stiffer spring. i would have thought the contrary would happen even with fewer preload clicks. 

according to my dealer the complete oehlins shock made for the t7 is equipped with a 70 kg/nm spring.

will have to contact our man from switzerland erey to ask him for details.  he postet his new setup 21st of january.

cheers,

wolf

On 1/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, erey said:

Ohlins installation. No test, no setup. My wheels are on the way for the tubeless upgrade

IMG_20200121_170657.jpg

IMG_20200121_172946.jpg

IMG_20200121_173002.jpg

salut from germany,

nice conversion! please tell me the details of the spring. my yamaha dealer says the original spring in the shock oehlins makes for the t7 has a 70 kg/nm rate. is yours the same? and if yours is ordered in a stronger version would you be kind enough to tell me your body weight incl. equipment (if it‘s not a secret) ?!

are you also happy now with sag and behaviour?

thanks in advance,

cheers,

wolf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Do you have pictures of the tail tidy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyubsdell said:

salut from germany,

nice conversion! please tell me the details of the spring. my yamaha dealer says the original spring in the shock oehlins makes for the t7 has a 70 kg/nm rate. is yours the same? and if yours is ordered in a stronger version would you be kind enough to tell me your body weight incl. equipment (if it‘s not a secret) ?!

thanks in advance,

cheers,

wolf

Hi Wolf

I'm 71kg without equipment. The rate is the same as the OEM 70kg/nm. No sag setup yet. My bike is still waiting for the new tubeless wheels.

Cheers

Eric

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyubsdell said:

salut from germany,

thanks in advance,

cheers,

wolf

The standard spring is rated at 70Nm which is suitable for a 65 to 70kg person . I have gone for a 90Nm from the advice of Rally raid products (see their website for the explanation).

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

I weigh 14 stone or 89kg. With the original spring I had to wind in 22 clicks of preload to get the rider sag anywhere near right. Adding more preload raises the height of the bike on its suspension. The spring does not change length, it just raises where the bike sits. With the new spring I only had to use 4 or 5 clicks of preload the get the rider sag correct (60mm or 30% of the total shock stroke of 200mm). Because I have much less preload the bike now sits lower. It feels so much more plush.

Here's an explanation from a Google search:

An unladen, fully extended fork (or shock) spring WILL compress when preload is added.

However, under yours and the bike’s weight, when preload is added the spring in the forks and shock do not compress. The spring remains the same length, but the forks and shock themselves actually extend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If anyone is confused about this, think of it this way. Less preload always makes the bike sit lower on its suspension with no rider on it. When my feet are on the ground my bike isn't taking the weight of it by definition. Hence with a heavier weight spring with less preload to get the correct rider sag, my feet are flatter on the ground than with a lighter spring and loads more preload which would have made it higher (without my full weight as I'm touching the ground) and me on my tip toes.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rich TT said:

The standard spring is rated at 70Nm which is suitable for a 65 to 70kg person . I have gone for a 90Nm from the advice of Rally raid products (see their website for the explanation).

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

I weigh 14 stone or 89kg. With the original spring I had to wind in 22 clicks of preload to get the rider sag anywhere near right. Adding more preload raises the height of the bike on its suspension. The spring does not change length, it just raises where the bike sits. With the new spring I only had to use 4 or 5 clicks of preload the get the rider sag correct (60mm or 30% of the total shock stroke of 200mm). Because I have much less preload the bike now sits lower. It feels so much more plush.

Here's an explanation from a Google search:

An unladen, fully extended fork (or shock) spring WILL compress when preload is added.

However, under yours and the bike’s weight, when preload is added the spring in the forks and shock do not compress. The spring remains the same length, but the forks and shock themselves actually extend.

I have spoken to John at rally raid and interesting is that he suggested the 90nm for my weight as well.. But I weigh 104kg.. Don't do off road and light luggage or no luggage at all.. Wonder if I should order the 95nm.. Hmmm. 

I'll check again just to be sure before I push the button. 

• Like 1

For me it's clear, so it looks like I should change the spring one day. I weight more than 90 kg.  Anyway  the good thing is that I'm tall and I have no problem to put my feet on the ground.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I have spoken to John at rally raid and interesting is that he suggested the 90nm for my weight as well.. But I weigh 104kg.. Don't do off road and light luggage or no luggage at all.. Wonder if I should order the 95nm.. Hmmm. 

I'll check again just to be sure before I push the button. 

Rider(up to 70kg) with max 50kg luggage.................................................80N/mm

Rider(up to 80kg) with max 50kg luggage.................................................85N/mm

Rider(up to 90kg) with light passenger and/or 15kg luggage..................90N/mm

Rider(up to 100kg) with passenger and/or 30kg luggage.........................95N/mm

With light luggage you may be good with 95...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, al700 said:

Rider(up to 70kg) with max 50kg luggage.................................................80N/mm

Rider(up to 80kg) with max 50kg luggage.................................................85N/mm

Rider(up to 90kg) with light passenger and/or 15kg luggage..................90N/mm

Rider(up to 100kg) with passenger and/or 30kg luggage.........................95N/mm

With light luggage you may be good with 95...

I have read that but I am a bit confused... Should the 90nm be enough for me as it could handle 90kg plus passenger? 

On 2/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, Rich TT said:

If anyone is confused about this, think of it this way. Less preload always makes the bike sit lower on its suspension with no rider on it. When my feet are on the ground my bike isn't taking the weight of it by definition. Hence with a heavier weight spring with less preload to get the correct rider sag, my feet are flatter on the ground than with a lighter spring and loads more preload which would have made it higher (without my full weight as I'm touching the ground) and me on my tip toes.

Cheers

Rich

This depends on if the heavier spring is the same length as the original and if it's a linear or a progressive rate spring. How does your static sag compare between the 2 springs? 

A lot of people get confused by static sag. If you don't have enough it generally means your spring is too soft, and if you have too much it means your spring may be too stiff for your weight. Note that static sag is always checked after setting the race (rider) sag.  

When you say your bike now sits lower without your weight on it, it could mean that your new spring is too stiff for your weight. Unless of course, you have the correct static sag now and you didn't have before with the standard soft spring making your bike sit higher than it should.

@Rich TT

Edited by Whitey66
added info

1 minute ago, John said:

91F66E1A-A417-4125-9444-3C83209E5691.jpeg

Thats from AliExpress no?

Work well?

Easy instalation?

Thanks for the pic

Today I made 2 inch copy rox riser for my t7 ı am 172cm and it is more comfortable than standart one because clutch and brake a little far away from me now it is perfect.it is aliexpress product same as rox riser good quality clutch cable is allright a little tight full turn right.

20200202_150335_HDR.jpg

20200202_150326_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/1/2020 at 11:43 PM, Lupan said:

Thats from AliExpress no?

Work well?

Easy instalation?

Thanks for the pic

Is is from the original Rallypack from yamaha, which i have changed a bit ;-) Works perfect. For the installation you need to remove the buddy and upper part of the mudguard en use 2 bolts with a flat hat.

Few bits fitted last night......

T7 Rally tail tidy:

610465703_20200206_231315558_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.1f14d0c77ecf684754e29d57ff8b4de5.jpg

Touratech master cylinder guard:

448766773_20200206_231336476_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.03f408f04706e46e1d4792ab36fbf3cb.jpg

Touratech chain guard:

1475155211_20200206_231304577_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.b288d88993fe5c88b2f2cd4b5c1e0fcc.jpg

Touratech ABS sensor guard (much like jewellery, has limited practical value!)

697160764_20200206_231323243_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.7a8b255d425aaa436340e25b7254723b.jpg

...and still more bits to fit over the weekend!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What´s the width and the lenght of the tail tidy?

What you decide for exhaust?

Nice first mods by the way 😉

• Thanks 1

Hi @Lupan, thanks for the 👍!

The width of the tail tidy is 104mm.

Length is approximately approximately 162mm overall to the bottom edge.  This is measured from the bottom of the license plate light.

My UK road legal plate (which is roughly 228mm x 178mm) overhangs  about this much!:

IMG_2136.thumb.jpg.89dd036545823c56e843699d85a247e8.jpg

Hope that helps.

I haven't decided on an exhaust yet, but I am liking the look of the 'Max Torque Cans' oval titanium with 'GP Pro' outlet like this one: 

Titanium-Oval-GP-Outlet.jpg 

Cheers, Mike

Edited by CReamflourish

Touratech lower engine and  upper fairing crash bars fitted :20200208_122355607_iOS.thumb.jpg.3849fa29e62c1746f4bec2801f9a8e19.jpg

Fitted these:

20200208_122428650_iOS.thumb.jpg.3960338ff2014ac57a3f2c16ed8ea839.jpg

Symtec Heat Demon grip heater kit with new Renthal grips fitted:

20200209_204817694_iOS.thumb.jpg.4921e38149049e2fa2a28bf6f2d716b7.jpg

Gave her a bath in ACF-50!

20200208_122412215_iOS.thumb.jpg.6e20784ba86de505303afb67688a8a6f.jpg

Also fitted LED flashers and an LED flasher relay, but they are not fully connected yet. I've got some Indy leads on order to scavenge the plugs off so I can do a tidy job of it and do away with the bullet connectors.

• Like 4

Thanks for the pics, i'm going to order the Tail tidy and tri to fit with a Chinese signals...

I like the mivv, probably is that one that i'm going to buy... Titanium and carbon end cap for 358 € at you're house...

• Like 1