Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

4 hours ago, advsquid said:

Did you remove the snorkel entirely? I've heard of people cutting down a little bit of material on the air filter side 

Installing the Funnelweb pre-filter wholly replaces the snorkel; it fits in where the snorkel attaches.

I've removed snorkels from CP2's in the past - along with a lot of ecu flashing and tuning for my MT07.  I don't really like cutting stuff.  You can just pull the snorkel out, it's rubber; removing it is non-destructive so you can just pop it back in later if you feel so inclined.  

The problem I have with the snorkel is that it causes your air filter to plug up initially just around the bottom, then slowly chokes the engine as the plugging works it's way upwards.  There's only a VERY small gap between the bottom of the snorkel and the bottom of the air filter, so incoming air has a very restricted path particularly as the filter degrades. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Installing the Funnelweb pre-filter wholly replaces the snorkel; it fits in where the snorkel attaches.

I've removed snorkels from CP2's in the past - along with a lot of ecu flashing and tuning for my MT07.  I don't really like cutting stuff.  You can just pull the snorkel out, it's rubber; removing it is non-destructive so you can just pop it back in later if you feel so inclined.  

The problem I have with the snorkel is that it causes your air filter to plug up initially just around the bottom, then slowly chokes the engine as the plugging works it's way upwards.  There's only a VERY small gap between the bottom of the snorkel and the bottom of the air filter, so incoming air has a very restricted path particularly as the filter degrades. 

do you have a link or a part number for the funnelweb pre filter?

2 hours ago, Landshark said:

What is the on road vs. off road rating on that overly aggressive looking tire?  Looks so nice.

Also I know a lot of people say a lot of things about different tires, and each person reacts differently to different contact patches. I come from a road racing background with a mix of trials riding and flat track. So I enjoy high speeds and sliding. I figured this tire was designed for high speed Dakar terrains, it would check all the boxes I needed. 

That being said I am not a professional, I do feel like I can push this tire to its boundaries and then some. I would be more than willing to give a tire review if you would like. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kedo Parts USA said:

Also I know a lot of people say a lot of things about different tires, and each person reacts differently to different contact patches. I come from a road racing background with a mix of trials riding and flat track. So I enjoy high speeds and sliding. I figured this tire was designed for high speed Dakar terrains, it would check all the boxes I needed. 

That being said I am not a professional, I do feel like I can push this tire to its boundaries and then some. I would be more than willing to give a tire review if you would like. 

Yes please do review it in the tire and wheel section! 

• Like 3

On 5/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

IMG_20220507_175155.jpg.62d8cdfd765637f1c168db3538f7d22b.jpg

The orange handlebars look great! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kedo Parts USA said:

Sure.  You make great reviews.  And I'd like to hear more about this tire for sure.  Thanks for offering.  

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 3

On 5/10/2022 at 7:16 PM, NeilW said:

For those that don't know, taking off the T7 tank is really easy. After all the plastic surrounding the tank, only two bolts hold the tank in place. Slide it back and lift it a little to undo a connector and the vent.  It looks scary but truly isn't.

I agree tank removal is easy, but I had to remove the four vertical bolts securing the tank's rear mount to the frame in order to remove my tank. Removing just the two rubber mounted bolts that secure the tank to the mount doesn't leave enough room to lift the rear of the tank clear of the mount and then slide it rearward off the front isolators.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Redneckj said:

do you have a link or a part number for the funnelweb pre filter?

Yeah, I linked it above when I mentioned ordering it: 

FWF511.jpg

FWF 511 Tenere 700 Airbox Pre Filter 2020 / 22

Copied that link and pasted, was FULL of forum redirect stuff, so if this doesn't work, just flip back a page.

If you're in NA, you'll need to email them to get one.  They will send them here, but not via the online store.

• Like 2

Grip puppies installed, along with a throttle rocker (different name, but same manufacturer as crampbuster).

Thanks @Wintersdark (if I remember correctly) for the hint. Those puppies are great. Much thicker grip, so that I had to readjust the brake levers closer to the bars. Very nice, beefy feel, quickly adopted.

The throttle rocker fits over the grip puppies (ok, but not perfectly).

I followed the described in the following video, worked great. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Removed  my Evap canister yesterday as I have had a number of hard starts after it was stood in the sun. While I was busy I checked my airfilter and saw it was a lot dustier than I  thought it would be, but after 6000km of mostly gravel roads it was expected, so I ordered a BMC filter to replace it. I know a lot of people wil say that cotton  gauze filters are not good for dust, but I have never had dust in an airbox with them. I have however had dust in an airbox using a paper filter and this time was no exception.

20220514_145958.jpg

20220514_145841.jpg

Edited by Sparx
Add pictures
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

Or put the bike in first gear plus a stick or plank through the spokes to block movement.
Then you just need some leverage.

I just watched a video where a guy stands on the foot brake and leans over the bike and easily undoes the nut. So simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Added an auxiliary light bracket and 2" LED lights. 

20220517_103202.jpg

• Like 4

Second test ride with grip puppies.

I love these things! Zero cramps any more, the bigger diameter feels even better today. Lever reach is not an issue at all, throttle control is way smoother now as well.

Paid 24€ (before I found out that a Dutch shop is even cheaper), best bang for the buck so far.

• Like 4

I took these old shoes off.  Mitas E 10.  

20220519_130522.jpg.0610bb572279f974830ab1bc53f5a9df.jpg

Then installed a Kenda Big Block.

20220519_153202.jpg.ce655981c8beb118dba0cd47c0929a48.jpg

20220519_163249.jpg.8b1e9591900698b62208400fe3ee36ae.jpg

Isn't she purdy?

20220519_161646.jpg.dc7c92602cc3eab9da7ed73109e62455.jpg

• Like 6

On 5/17/2022 at 11:06 AM, Tenerider said:

Second test ride with grip puppies.

I love these things! Zero cramps any more, the bigger diameter feels even better today. Lever reach is not an issue at all, throttle control is way smoother now as well.

Paid 24€ (before I found out that a Dutch shop is even cheaper), best bang for the buck so far.

Right?  They're a little weird at first, as they're so girthy, but you quickly get used to them and then your hands and wrists are so much more comfortable, and the larger diameter makes precise throttle control easier.  They're also great for not being thermally conductive in cold weather, and for holding temperature better when you've got heated grips but take your hands off the bars.  

I only somewhat recently learned about these myself, and absolutely adore them now.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I took these old shoes off.  Mitas E 10.  

20220519_130522.jpg.0610bb572279f974830ab1bc53f5a9df.jpg

Then installed a Kenda Big Block.

20220519_153202.jpg.ce655981c8beb118dba0cd47c0929a48.jpg

20220519_163249.jpg.8b1e9591900698b62208400fe3ee36ae.jpg

Isn't she purdy?

20220519_161646.jpg.dc7c92602cc3eab9da7ed73109e62455.jpg

The Kenda is surprisingly similar to the Mitas, though I expect a great deal cheaper.   How do they compare?

It must be tyre day, changed out my front Motoz tractionator adventure for a Golentyre GT823KH, off road I was pretty happy with the Motoz but on road it was awful and got worse as time went on it scollaped badly and was very squirmy I had very little confidence on wet roads so its gone and Goldentyre is the replacement, the compound seems very hard on the new tyre, a good choice, we will see.

IMG_20220520_120509472.jpg

IMG_20220520_120426741.jpg

IMG_20220520_120447805.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

The Kenda is surprisingly similar to the Mitas, though I expect a great deal cheaper.   How do they compare?

If I remember correctly, The Kenda was less expensive.  But I believe the Kenda is more road worthy so I'm hoping for more mileage from these.  We'll see.  I could have used the E10 for the full 5000 km but they are worn for what I use the bike for.  I'll let you know how the Kenda performs as soon as I get a ride in.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, Redneckj said:

Jeff Bezos delivered the Uni pre-filter.  Oiled up and installed.  Should be good for negative 1 horsepower.  

9E95D1B2-2E57-49B2-8BC0-A1A0EB352299.jpeg

Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Are you using the spring inside the Unifilter?

Thanks

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

42 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Are you using the spring inside the Unifilter?

Thanks

I haven't installed mine yet but if you don't, it will probably collapse on acceleration and cut off your air supply. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I haven't installed mine yet but if you don't, it will probably collapse on acceleration and cut off your air supply. 

Thanks. I kind of figured that but wasn't sure.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Yeah I left the spring in there. It's a little tricky to install it but that's the price I'm paying for "universal" 😁

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Stevoh said:

It must be tyre day, changed out my front Motoz tractionator adventure for a Golentyre GT823KH, off road I was pretty happy with the Motoz but on road it was awful and got worse as time went on it scollaped badly and was very squirmy I had very little confidence on wet roads so its gone and Goldentyre is the replacement, the compound seems very hard on the new tyre, a good choice, we will see.

I've run those "Fatty" fronts for years on my dirtbike, great tire. I felt the same about my MotoZ Tractionator (RallZ) on the front. The rear is great, the front, not so much. Please post up initial and long term impressions on your new front in the tire section when you get a chance.  Might be the next front I try after I wear out a new Dunlop Trailmax Mission. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Well , I decided I was going to take a stand at making a radiator guard. If I was to buy one I would probably go with the Factory Yamaha accessory. But mine is working pretty good. Took heavy stainless steel screen and did this.....

I might play with it a bit but fit like factory

IMG_20220520_133750398.jpg

IMG_20220520_133722655.jpg

• Like 9

Shock spring compressor. Just installed an 80 Km Rally Raid spring on my shock. An hour to fabricate a spring compressor and ten minutes to change the spring. Sag was way to off on the rear. Testing this weekend and will be interesting to see how the moto handles now. 7A349234-DA82-48E6-BE57-5341E429B8E2.jpeg.7ae2905332a30e67552a6cbfb1ebf5dc.jpeg

• Like 8