Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Installed the Camel minimalist rear rack. Fit and finish are perfect!

Drained the 10W fork oil that HyperPro included with their spring kit.  Replaced it with 7.5w Motul for oil.  Also took out the spring guide this time when I set the oil height to 110mm. 

C05C38A8-2FC2-46FB-A4F4-FA70382F9E9E.jpeg

51C89DEE-C189-4371-B47D-DF584E1492EF.jpeg

62AE2FF0-5EE6-42CE-818A-A669976C1BBF.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/16/2022 at 11:20 AM, NeilW said:

I just watched a video where a guy stands on the foot brake and leans over the bike and easily undoes the nut. So simple. 

This is the method Yamaha recommends in there fine service manual. Push on rear brake and undo the nut. 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:54 PM, Landshark said:

I took these old shoes off. Mitas E 10.  

Then installed a Kenda Big Block.

I'd love to hear your impression on the Big Blocks when you get some time on them!  I put a set of them on my "little ADV bike" and like them alot.  Traction is good and so far they are fairly quiet on the highway.  However that bike is more off-road oriented than my T7 and I think they are not going to last very long.

• Like 1

Painted the door, window and frames of the sleeping place for the bikes.
Also ordered a set of Heidenau K60 Ranger for my ScanBaltic trip. They where out of stock but ordered only no expected date to have them back in stock.
I still have a month before i have to change them, 2nd and 3th of July is the weekend i get the bike ready.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Painted the door, window and frames of the sleeping place for the bikes.
Also ordered a set of Heidenau K60 Ranger for my ScanBaltic trip. They where out of stock but ordered only no expected date to have them back in stock.
I still have a month before i have to change them, 2nd and 3th of July is the weekend i get the bike ready.

Ray, I hope you'll keep us updated along the trip.

I think I could accompany you during your last stage, if you like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Ray, I hope you'll keep us updated along the trip.

I think I could accompany you during your last stage, if you like.

I will post a few short blogs on my site and afterwards i will make a story with movies like i did with the Balkan trip last year and the Italy trip in 2020.
Let's exchange phone numbers so we can app about riding the last bit together.

• Like 2

Almost forgot:

Adjusted throttle free play (removed 99% of previous slack) and removed the pillion strap from my rally seat.

Throttle control has improved a lot, feels less snatchy, more precise, more direct.

And my butt feels better when sitting close to my steel horse's tail end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DT675 said:

I'd love to hear your impression on the Big Blocks when you get some time on them!  I put a set of them on my "little ADV bike" and like them alot.  Traction is good and so far they are fairly quiet on the highway.  However that bike is more off-road oriented than my T7 and I think they are not going to last very long.

OK.  I'll post a report here.  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, advsquid said:

Yeah I left the spring in there. It's a little tricky to install it but that's the price I'm paying for "universal" 😁

Looks like it works as intended.

IMG_20220522_091719823.jpg

• Like 4

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Took off all my farkles ready to put them on my World Raid on Wednesday.  Took the opportunity to break down the Barkbusters and spray the metalwork black, they do look nice in black.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LeighA said:

Took off all my farkles ready to put them on my World Raid on Wednesday.  Took the opportunity to break down the Barkbusters and spray the metalwork black, they do look nice in black.

Roll on Wednesday 

• Like 1

My first service is Friday and then it's off to Suspension Improvements for a set of racetech fork springs, gold valves, and this. 

WILBERS.jpg.7c63f08a641138907119b0a3294d3e6a.jpg

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, Tenerider said:

Almost forgot:

Adjusted throttle free play (removed 99% of previous slack) and removed the pillion strap from my rally seat.

Throttle control has improved a lot, feels less snatchy, more precise, more direct.

And my butt feels better when sitting close to my steel horse's tail end.

Hi @Tenerider how did you manage to get rid of that slack? I tried the adjustment in the cable, but still find quite a slack in the throttle response. Some space before it picks up.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:11 AM, DT675 said:

I'd love to hear your on the Big Blocks when you get some time on them!  I put a set of them on my "little ADV bike" and like them alot.  Traction is good and so far they are fairly quiet on the highway.  However that bike is more off-road oriented than my T7 and I think they are not going to last very long.

I rode the bike for about 65 km or so on several rode surface types.  The tire is a bit "lumpy" feeling as you lean the bike into a corner on pavement.  On pavement they hook up well and feel well planted.  Now if the pavement is wet, this tire may slip in a corner situation whereas you are accelerating hard.  Easy to manage if you're careful.

On the gravel roads this tire hooks up real well.  Hardly any slip even under heavy acceleration.  Good on cornering with only a bit of controlled wheel slide.  Gives the bike a stable feel on gravel.  

Overall, I like the tire so far.

No doubt this tire will do well in mud.  It's aggressive.  But will it last?  We'll see.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ludo_the_genius said:

Hi @Tenerider how did you manage to get rid of that slack? I tried the adjustment in the cable, but still find quite a slack in the throttle response. Some space before it picks up.

I adjusted the free play on adjuster on engine's left side (throttle body side, see service manual 3-29 below). Didn't touch the barrel adjuster in the cable. I have zero play only when handlebars are fully turned right (-> maximum tension on the throttle wire). If you rotate it left (or even straight forward), there is again some slack 😕

image.png.14578f9d00020947afd080125ff7660e.png

Edited by Tenerider

Got my newly sprung forks reinstalled, and popped in the Funnelweb pre-filter:

20220524_164915.jpg.66f0bf2194b0363ef5f12d8da5ddcc60.jpg

Then took her out for a 300km twisties ride to get a feel for how it changes things.  No power difference between the pre-filter and snorkel, but having form springs for my weigh sure helps prevent dive when braking and feels MUCH better into corners.  Gonna have to soften the compression some before going offroad, though.  Was great carving twisties but will be pretty rough in the dirt as it is.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Landshark said:

I rode the bike for about 65 km or so on several rode surface types.  The tire is a bit "lumpy" feeling as you lean the bike into a corner on pavement.  On pavement they hook up well and feel well planted.  Now if the pavement is wet, this tire may slip in a corner situation whereas you are accelerating hard.  Easy to manage if you're careful.

On the gravel roads this tire hooks up real well.  Hardly any slip even under heavy acceleration.  Good on cornering with only a bit of controlled wheel slide.  Gives the bike a stable feel on gravel.  

Overall, I like the tire so far.

No doubt this tire will do well in mud.  It's aggressive.  But will it last?  We'll see.  

Pretty similar to my thoughts. I have them on a KTM 390 Adventure and was surprised at their good road handling attributes for a knobby tire. The only area I found them to be slippery is through a corner of hard packed dirt with a light dusting on top. Almost had my back tire pass up the front in those situations. But I expect that most other tires would be slippery in that situation too but maybe just a little bit more with these. 

That and unfortunately my rear is wearing pretty fast.  That might be the deal killer putting a set of these on my T7.

• Like 1

Hello Guys,

I have assembled engine protection parts from ACERBIS.

Perfect fit, easy to install, good look and the price is ok.

Link:

acerbis_xpower_crankbase_p.jpg

Rivestimento carter motore contro usura, urti, abrasioni per contatto stivali, fango, sabbia e detriti Lato destro: protezione coperchio frizione, pompa dell’acqua ...

IMG_20220525_195222.jpg

IMG_20220525_195235.jpg

• Like 4

And I have made my own luggage plate for my Kriega OS 18 Bags.

These are cutting boards made of plastic. I have drilled 4 holes in my Adventure Spec

Side Racks and fixed the plates with screws. 

Regards

Sigi

IMG_20220525_195249.jpg

IMG_20220525_195512.jpg

• Like 3

People are funny... one is worrying the bike will overheat and asking for options to cool it more and the other close the engine up with covers keeping the heat more inside.

One tries to shed as much weight as possible and others keep adding and adding.

Not a complain, just an observation....

• Like 4

Just now, Ray Ride4life said:

People are funny... one is worrying the bike will overheat and asking for options to cool it more and the other close the engine up with covers keeping the heat more inside.

One tries to shed as much weight as possible and others keep adding and adding.

Not a complain, just an observation....

You are quite correct. I like my creature comforts and setting into riding forest roads and avoiding highly technical trails, weight really isn’t a factor for me. 

Good observation! I want to protect the engine. I've already seen what a contact with a rock can damage. These protectors have vents, so temperature shouldn't be an issue.
Just a thought and solution I wanted to share...

3 hours ago, Sigi said:
Good observation! I want to protect the engine. I've already seen what a contact with a rock can damage. These protectors have vents, so temperature shouldn't be an issue.
Just a thought and solution I wanted to share...

if you talk about off-roading a crash bar would protect better [depending on witch one] than that.  but hay i understand you do you.

5 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

that's what the fan is for lol.   How did we ever survive with those old air-cooled dinosaurs?  I remember once going through a locust swarm in SA on a kwaka 1000, I didn't realize until I got into Albany in WA, like 2000km later, that they had clogged all the cooling fins.  It was Autumn though.

• Like 1