Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Installed Pivot Pegz MK4 🙂

20220715_151523.jpg.ea0c6a717452a96c58690884da006fe3.jpg

Installation was straightforward, I mounted them "lowered".

Compared to stock pegs, this is only about 8mm lower (estimated, not measured). See the following photo showing my professional alignment tool:

20220715_153549.jpg.fdf672b68efffec6a37410c5c5ea52d0.jpg

Brake pedal had the same height as my OEM pegs, so you can see these aren't much lower.

Didn't make a testride yet, since I struggled with my new Acerbis Euro5 Skid. Will post some info on it in the skid plate monster thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Compared to stock pegs, this is only about 8mm lower (estimated, not measured). See the following photo showing my professional alignment tool:

Brake pedal had the same height as my OEM pegs, so you can see these aren't much lower.

Didn't make a testride yet, since I struggled with my new Acerbis Euro5 Skid. Will post some info on it in the skid plate monster thread.

Bigger pegs make for a better ride while standing and I stand all the time under 50mph/80kph ( It is legal to stand in my state on road. Some US states have laws against standing and Canada.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Bigger pegs make for a better ride while standing and I stand all the time under 50mph/80kph ( It is legal to stand in my state on road. Some US states have laws against standing and Canada.

I also enjoy standing, but only from time to time. The OEM pegs were too small for me, even when seated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I also enjoy standing, but only from time to time. The OEM pegs were too small for me, even when seated.

3 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I prefer standing to sitting on the T7. I have to figure out a "rear view mirror". Going to post that question now to the group.

• Like 1

Hi Niel,

I have started angling one of the stock mirrors to see where I’ve been on the pegs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gone2seed said:

Hi Niel,

I have started angling one of the stock mirrors to see where I’ve been on the pegs.

That does work but that mirror will get loose from the movement and of course will flop down just as I get on the freeway.... That and having to literally look straight down to see the mirror = taking eyes off the rough road I am traveling. 

• Like 1

Yesterday ; pulled the front apart and revalved the race tech gold valves.

Lots of videos out there  to show you how.

The   recommended  valving had forks jarring  the grips    on expansion joints.

Hydraulic lock.

Will not go into the expletives that resulted from bigger bumps!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Running (3) .10X17 on top of the recommended stack.

Much better. 

(3) .10x 17

.10x15

.15x13

.15x11

.15x11

Edited by gone2seed

Tighten ‘em up mine don’t slip.

Gotta agree tho, nothing worse than having it slip down just when Ya need it!

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Let us know how you like them!  I have heard good things once you are use to them.  Also, if you feel the 8mm lower position please. 

• Like 1

Changing the rear tire going back to the more aggressive Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T. One of those times the tire almost fell onto the rim. Changing tires in summertime is so much easier than winter. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Long test ride with Pivot Pegz MK4 onroad.

I found it very easy getting accustomed with them. Shifting gears is much more comfortable! The bigger size is really nice for me. 

Standing on the pegs is not a problem at all for me, the pivoting action is actually great and allows you to move back and forth really smooth.

Idiotically, I parked the bike close to a friend's car on a slight slope (sideways). Put her on the center stand.

You know what happened when I put her off the stand later!

Car severely scratched and dented, crash bars scratched, handguards slightly scratched.

Right peg slightly scratched (the nice polish had to come off...), foot brake lever slightly bent (could bend it back). Right mirror completely damaged.

Positive:

- Crash bars are still in fully working order AND did their job

- Acerbis X-Factors did their job again

- plastics etc are completely fine

- I can buy new foldable mirrors

55 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I found it very easy getting accustomed with them. Shifting gears is much more comfortable! The bigger size is really nice for me. 

Standing on the pegs is not a problem at all for me, the pivoting action is actually great and allows you to move back and forth really smooth.

Idiotically, I parked the bike close to a friend's car on a slight slope (sideways). Put her on the center stand.

Car severely scratched and dented, crash bars scratched, handguards slightly scratched.

Right peg slightly scratched (the nice polish had to come off...), foot brake lever slightly bent (could bend it back). Right mirror completely damaged.

Positive:

Well that sucks. Sorry that happened. We all have better ways to spend our money than on “oops”. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 12:15 PM, gonebiken said:

Changing the rear tire going back to the more aggressive Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T. One of those times the tire almost fell onto the rim. Changing tires in summertime is so much easier than winter. 

image.jpg

I have to change my front tire this week. Thanks for the reminder to set it out in the sun. 

Made some panniers.

20220716_185441.jpg

20220716_190919.jpg

20220716_191322.jpg

20220716_185500.jpg

• Like 4
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

On 7/16/2022 at 5:15 AM, gonebiken said:

Changing the rear tire going back to the more aggressive Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T.

Does it howl much onroad?

On 7/16/2022 at 3:33 AM, NeilW said:

That does work but that mirror will get loose from the movement and of course will flop down just as I get on the freeway.... That and having to literally look straight down to see the mirror = taking eyes off the rough road I am traveling. 

You remember that crazy helmet they brought out a few years back with a cam in the rear and an LCD display above your eyes?  I had one look at it and thought, Big Distraction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winddown said:

Does it howl much onroad?

Cant speak for him, but now that my Motoz ADV has a few thousand kms on, oh boy does it howl!!  not terrible until 90km/h, gets pretty loud after that, sounds like a truck with mudders, lol

Ive ran all sorts of tires up to full on knobbies on my DR and Id say this big 150 Motoz on the T7 is the loudest at this mileage, great tire thought😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddiscdn said:

Cant speak for him, but now that my Motoz ADV has a few thousand kms on, oh boy does it howl!!  not terrible until 90km/h, gets pretty loud after that, sounds like a truck with mudders, lol

Ive ran all sorts of tires up to full on knobbies on my DR and Id say this big 150 Motoz on the T7 is the loudest at this mileage, great tire thought😆

I ride with ear plugs and still it’s loud. It should be named  “the howler”. Putting it back on mainly to use it up a bit. I really liked the Anakee Wild except the tread pattern causes it to push the tire out when you get on the throttle while leaned over.  Adventure riding is newish to me so finding what I like and what I don’t like yet. 

Currently trying to decide which to try next Rallz or the Adventure.

Edited by gonebiken
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Positive:

We’ve all been there. It’s how we learn. 

You should see mine. Plastics scratched, cracked and skillfully plastic welded.  Windshield scratched when it fell against a support pole of a parking shade structure outside my apartment. Dented and scratched gas tank - first day on dirt I dumped it on a rock and didn’t have crash bars yet. Rims scratched from tire changes without rim protectors. I think I’ve accurately described my intended use of the bike 😂

When I purchased the T it’s main attraction was the low cost and simplicity compared to some others. About the same I’d end up spending on a dirt bike. So I decided I’d treat it about the same - receives equal amounts of tlc and abuse. It exists for my pleasure. I’ve had street bikes that I wouldn’t even let get wet. The T is not that kind of bike to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gonebiken said:

We’ve all been there. It’s how we learn. 

You should see mine. Plastics scratched, cracked and skillfully plastic welded.  Windshield scratched when it fell against a support pole of a parking shade structure outside my apartment. Dented and scratched gas tank - first day on dirt I dumped it on a rock and didn’t have crash bars yet. Rims scratched from tire changes without rim protectors. I think I’ve accurately described my intended use of the bike 😂

When I purchased the T it’s main attraction was the low cost and simplicity compared to some others. About the same I’d end up spending on a dirt bike. So I decided I’d treat it about the same - receives equal amounts of tlc and abuse. It exists for my pleasure. I’ve had street bikes that I wouldn’t even let get wet. The T is not that kind of bike to me. 

So true buddy!

Every injury on our bikes contributes to our experience and can be worn with pride 😁

The day before I had been to Off-the-road.de (practically in my neighbourhood). The guy said "you can't protect the bike from everything, some parts just WILL get damaged, unless you ride strictly onroad".

This seems true to me.

So I'll just leave the marks on her and hope people think "wow, cool guy, he's done some tough offroad stuff, look at those scratches!" 😉

But one thing's for sure: I have learned my part how and where to park my bike... will avoid putting it onto the center stand in such "sidehill" situations. Was a dumb idea anyway, because it's not too stable when getting it off the center stand due to its high COG.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, gonebiken said:

image.jpg

Did you go with the 150 or 140? I have a 140 in storage from another bike and been debating on using it on the t7

Added as racks and changed the oem pirellis for some motoz street tires. I am leaving friday for a 5k mile street trip. Also added atlas throttle lock.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, Lewie said:

Replacement flasher relay fitted in preparation for a set of inset front led’s

possibly looking for something LED for the rear 

image.jpg

I have these front and rear and they work great.  Nice and tucked in and safe, and surprisingly bright.

Edit: Later I saw you found these didn't fit?  I used mine with the flat inside pieces from the stock signals as a washer, then the plastic nut the indicators came with and that configuration fit perfectly in the stock indicator holes.  

Edited by Wintersdark

On 7/15/2022 at 10:20 AM, NeilW said:

And Canada?  Hmmm?  I can't say I've ever heard of that here as a Canadian.  I stand all the time riding.  

Not to say you're wrong, of course; I do lots of illegal things I've never been called on, but I've never even heard of anyone getting a ticket for standing while riding.