Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

58 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

Do you mean Motoz Tractionator Adventure?

No!  Motoz Tractionator Rallz

They are like the Adventure, just a bit more aggressive for offroad.  Although to look at them there can't be much in it?

TRX_Front_Rear.jpg

TRACTIONATOR RALLZ Based on the popular Tractionator Adventure but with more aggressive off-road traction in all weather extremes. Off-road Performance with reasonable on-road manners. Tested and...
Edited by winddown

1 hour ago, winddown said:

No, from the pix he posted I believe he has the Adventure, they are very similar though

https://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-adventure/

https://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-rallz-2/

Yes, sorry, I know a few guys running the rallz front and back, very happy with their performance, best ask DazR.

Steer clear of the Tractionator Adventure front, it's rubbish, rear Tractionator Adventure is awesome, I'm on my second.

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, winddown said:

I wonder how the RALLZ version would be on the road?

Anyone running the TRACTIONATOR RALLZ?

This might help you.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

13 hours ago, AZJW said:

This might help you.

Cheers, a good thread on the subject.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine has a set of RallZ on a KTM 1190, and they're great.  Absolutely unreal in the dirt, so good.  They're fine enough on the road, but they're loud.  

The Adventure is basically a slightly more road friendly and longer lived Rallz, sacrificing some grip both due to the spacing of the tread blocks and because the Adventures run a harder compound for longer life.  As others have said, the Adventure front is... eh.  I've got one, and it's ok on the road, but it's pretty wobbly when you get onto the side of the tire at all, definitely not confidence inspiring.  I like the Dual Venture front a lot more - the Dual Venture front is actually designed as a replacement for the Adventure front; it's a dual direction reversible Adventure 2.0 tire, basically.

I've got a set of GPS's on my T7 right now, and I'm strongly thinking of going with a DV Front and RallZ rear next.  It'll be a while, though, these GPS tires get insane mileage.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2022 at 3:49 PM, Tenerider said:

Mounted one of these:

23640-000_web_blank_01.jpg

Die geniale Motorradspiegel-Reihe, die im Winkel und in der Armlänge stufenlos einstellbar ist. Bei Bedarf können die Spiegelkörper komplett...

...and dismounted it after 0 km / 2 minutes.

They vibrate a lot more than OEM mirrors when only touching them, are smaller, and due to convex glass offer a strange view (these aren't aspheric).

Problem here is you need certified mirrors with a so-called E-Mark (Germany...).

This doesn't mean they are being tested or whatever, they're just "certified" due to their theoretical specs.

I think I'm done with folding mirrors, all other models I found seem to be actual vibrators as well.

And I don't like the look of double take mirrors.

Maybe I'll just carry a 17mm wrench for and stick with OEM.

Just swing the OEM mirrors in over the bars.  It works really well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

A buddy of mine has a set of RallZ on a KTM 1190, and they're great.  Absolutely unreal in the dirt, so good.  They're fine enough on the road, but they're loud.  

The Adventure is basically a slightly more road friendly and longer lived Rallz, sacrificing some grip both due to the spacing of the tread blocks and because the Adventures run a harder compound for longer life.  As others have said, the Adventure front is... eh.  I've got one, and it's ok on the road, but it's pretty wobbly when you get onto the side of the tire at all, definitely not confidence inspiring.  I like the Dual Venture front a lot more - the Dual Venture front is actually designed as a replacement for the Adventure front; it's a dual direction reversible Adventure 2.0 tire, basically.

I've got a set of GPS's on my T7 right now, and I'm strongly thinking of going with a DV Front and RallZ rear next.  It'll be a while, though, these GPS tires get insane mileage.

I took off a 10000 mile GPS and installed the Rallz rear and  Dual Venture front. You are correct, on the road the Rallz is noisy, but not terrible. On dirt and gravel it is a great tire...far better than the GPS. (as you would expect) Was in Colorado a couple weeks back for 750 mile trip and it rocked - even on some twisty pavement. Must bne the rubber compound. I have 1600 miles on it and I'm guessing 5000 miles max. The DV front is good, better than the Shinko 804 I had prior. I am debating trying am Adventure next.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sracer said:

I took off a 10000 mile GPS and installed the Rallz rear and  Dual Venture front. You are correct, on the road the Rallz is noisy, but not terrible. On dirt and gravel it is a great tire...far better than the GPS. (as you would expect) Was in Colorado a couple weeks back for 750 mile trip and it rocked - even on some twisty pavement. Must bne the rubber compound. I have 1600 miles on it and I'm guessing 5000 miles max. The DV front is good, better than the Shinko 804 I had prior. I am debating trying am Adventure next.

That's the alternative for me, too.  Definitely a DV front, but it's a question of RallZ vs Adventure rear.  I run a lot of pavement miles, and while I'm not really concerned with how quiet the tires are on pavement, I do need them to survive significant pavement miles while I'm getting to the fun places.  There's not a lot of dirt nearby.   But man.  Watching what that 1190 can do with Rallz?  It's a damn powerful bike, and still gets very little wheelspin even when he really gives it the beans.  

People always say stuff like "anything more than 25HP is wheel spin" and that may be true on a little, light dirt bike, but on a big heavy adventure bike with the right tires you can put a LOT of power down.  

• Like 3

After yesterday's handlebar riser flip, I just reinstalled the side panels, set up the bars correctly and adjusted throttle free play.

Looking forward to a test ride with the new setup 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

New rear led indicators 

285D062C-C0B1-4896-B1BA-C2B3CCB5458B.jpeg

Great looks!

I finally settled on crash bars, I went with the SW-motech.  Not too shabby.  I still hate that it mounts on an engine lug though.

And I fitted the Mitas Rally star tires.  The 140/80 fit perfectly.  I am very happy with the grip.

IMG_20220724_144638_417[1].jpg

IMG_20220724_144704_831[1].jpg

IMG_20220724_100004_993[1].jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, katana said:

I finally settled on crash bars, I went with the SW-motech.  Not too shabby.  I still hate that it mounts on an engine lug though.

And I fitted the Mitas Rally star tires.  The 140/80 fit perfectly.  I am very happy with the grip.

8 hours ago, katana said:

I crashed hard down hard on the right side at 30mph. It was a slam down and not a slide. My SW Motech didn't budge. Good product 

sw-motech-crash-bars-review-yamaha-Te%CC

SW-Motech Crash Bars Review: The Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project bike gets some proper protection from on- and off-road errors.

• Like 4

Very simple Tomtom holder to the nav bar.

Two pipe clamps! 🤣

IMG_20220725_192217_8.jpg.2c83a3cf454d390dfcea48f898384f89.jpg

IMG_20220725_192206_1.jpg.19dad53282a9ddff7b5c87c6993cb27a.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 12:49 AM, Tenerider said:

Installed Pivot Pegz MK4 🙂

20220715_151523.jpg.ea0c6a717452a96c58690884da006fe3.jpg

Installation was straightforward, I mounted them "lowered".

Compared to stock pegs, this is only about 8mm lower (estimated, not measured). See the following photo showing my professional alignment tool:

Brake pedal had the same height as my OEM pegs, so you can see these aren't much lower.

I don't how you lowered them?  But I got a set and just fitted them straight on, I'll test them soon.  I bought them as much for the blacktop as the dirt, the OEM ones were just a little too small for my 10-1/2 size foot.

1262597697_t7PIVOTPEGZ-3-.jpg.0b5bc4b4829168d858fda59553f8c1d6.jpg

117019050_t7PIVOTPEGZ-2.jpg.81c2a34206297596a71049aa7d53f829.jpg

Grabbed some OEM tank grips too.  I'll fit them when the weather warms up.

1195825761_T7TANKGRIPS.jpg.03e01c5da6ef65363d23cf4d0a450e2f.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, winddown said:

I don't how you lowered them?  But I got a set and just fitted them straight on, I'll test them soon.  I bought them as much for the blacktop as the dirt, the OEM ones were just a little too small for my 10-1/2 size foot.

1262597697_t7PIVOTPEGZ-3-.jpg.0b5bc4b4829168d858fda59553f8c1d6.jpg

117019050_t7PIVOTPEGZ-2.jpg.81c2a34206297596a71049aa7d53f829.jpg

Grabbed some OEM tank grips too.  I'll fit them when the weather warms up.

1195825761_T7TANKGRIPS.jpg.03e01c5da6ef65363d23cf4d0a450e2f.jpg

Got the OEM pads as well, they're good.

Regarding the lowering mod: Just swap the axles, see here:

2066055283_PivotPegzLoweringInstructions.jpg.71a4d1fe8bbf831cbc5583b6f8bedee4.jpg.b6b7c73c559673bb40cab98e769b99e0.jpg

59 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Got the OEM pads as well, they're good.

Regarding the lowering mod: Just swap the axles, see here:

So whatz the benefit in lowering them?  Better access to the levers?  Better body position?

1 hour ago, winddown said:

So whatz the benefit in lowering them?  Better access to the levers?  Better body position?

Yes, at least for me and my long legs! It sets them back and down, but only a little bit.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:21 PM, Tenerider said:

After yesterday's handlebar riser flip, I just reinstalled the side panels, set up the bars correctly and adjusted throttle free play.

Looking forward to a test ride with the new setup 🙃

Flip the riders forwards?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, winddown said:

Consider the bike is designed around a "average sized" rider.  This generally means around a 5'8" rider (if that). 

When you're taller, it alters your leg position when seated, and your shoulder height while standing.  

Lowering the pegs lets you lower your body position while standing (effectively putting on handlebar risers but only while standing) which is very nice, and the straightened legs help both reduce load when transitioning between seated and standing and just generally improve knee comfort while seated. 

Whenever people talk about height and bikes, they focus on the least important aspect (ability to flat foot / getting on or off the bike) and completely ignore how it is to actually ride, which is odd when even small changes in height (or more specifically leg length) have dramatic impacts.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Flip the riders forwards?

I call it the "Bret Tkacs mod", it puts the bars roughly 1cm closer to the front/dash. Noticeable better when standing, less "gripping down", more "gripping up front".

The bike feels a little bit more nimble, too (reacts better to steering input - in a good way).

8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Lowering the pegs lets you lower your body position while standing ...

help both reduce load when transitioning between seated and standing

Well there you have it, who would have thought.  Yes my old knees struggle sometimes transitioning between sitting and standing, I'll definitely lower them.

Since we're on the topic of 'secret knowledge',

1/  how do you maintain a steady grip on the throttle standing, while not 'modulating' it over the bumps?  Also

2/ I find it difficult to take sharper corners standing, it's like I can't get the bars to turn far enough.  Should I be lowering my upper body, elbows out and all that?

• Like 1