Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

My Trimpleclamp moto /scotts damper arrived and I was looking over the installation instructions.  They are quite simple, there are 4 screws and oddly the two that attach the damper to the upper aluminium bracket are only 15mm long?  The bracket has a thread depth of 20mm and after you drop the screws into the damper only about 4mm protrudes to screw down into the bracket?  How can this be?

Check out the pic, it's insane.  I have emailed trippleclamp moto for an explanation but either way I am sure I'll use longer screws.

T-CLAMP SCREW-02.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:53 AM, Wintersdark said:

1/ Tenerider's absolutely right as the primary thing there: loose grip on the bars, more weight on the pegs.  I'll also add: grip down onto the bars, ideally in line with the forks - your wrists should be straight. Keep your elbows high, don't let them come down. So bounces up from the front end push the throttle into your hand, vs. causing you to twist the throttle.  So when you stand, you're going to want to reposition your hands, not keep the hold you had when sitting down.  

The end result is that impacts up on the front wheel can more readily be absorbed through your shoulders and elbows instead of your (significantly more fragile and throttle controlling) wrists.  Thus your elbows and shoulders work with your knees as a suspension for your body, and voila! "Weightless Rider" (See also: Bret Tkacs as mentioned below)

Yeah; was just curious if you were flipping them forwards, or back.  

I've a long history of wanting my bars moved back, just because of being very tall and prefering an upright posture, and initially I'd done that on my T7.  It kind of helped, because with the stock configuration when standing I was excessively bent over and it was exhausting to ride standing, so before mods I really couldn't stand on the bike for more than a minute or so.  Tkacs' video about geometry was really helpful there, mostly because he highlights how a wider base on the rider triangle adds stability when standing.... And thus my risers, which got my body into a more neutral position allowing me to stand, but it also reduced the stability I had while standing.  And that's something I'd definitely noticed, where when I'm standing but in a relaxed position (less "attack position" and more just standing) balancing my weight forwards and backwards was quite challenging.  

Once I got the lowered pegs, that helped immensely, and I've been considering flipping my risers forwards.  Just haven't had time yet with doing absolutely insane hours all summer.  

I am 5’10”. I have risers and I have rotated the bars slightly forward not for comfort but for better angle on the brake and clutch levers because I stand most of the time. When standing and riding over gravel roads I am using the very light grip of my pinky ring and middle fingers with my index finger on the brake (and clutch) levers with my thumbs not gripping at all. They are just a backstop for the pulling backwards with my outside three fingers. So I am actually not “gripping” most of the time. If I hit a rough rocky aces then my thumbs get more involved. I never get arm pump because I never “squeeze” the grips. This works for me, your mileage may vary. 
oh and when I am on paved roads I am using a crampbuster and in the freeway I am using the Atlas throttle lock. 

• Like 3

Picked up some new indicators from Camel since the LED strips I had were barely visible. Bright, but there just isn't enough real estate lighting up. These are much better. But...with the OG Camel adv high exhaust and Tusk fender eliminator, the rear right side indicator is getting roasted. Even with the guard. So I drilled some holes in the guard, cut up a beer can, and safety wired it up. It stopped (I think haha) the melting. 

image.jpeg.b6d02e9933b586688a6506d10de77a21.jpeg

• Like 3

Added a heidenau ranger front tire.

Edited by S.Ga.Rider
  • Like 1

Tubed

20220805_133741.jpg

• Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

16 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

Which side racks are they mate?

AS

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

5 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Nice paint job!

Camouflaged, bought used.

20220713_163556.jpg

20220624-183300.jpg

• Like 6
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

39 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

I added a set of Woody’s wheels with MotoZ Rallz tires.  

828E65E0-2FA8-44C7-A546-A297A102FE30.jpeg

4472B7FE-FBA8-46E4-AA07-7D256B23F258.jpeg

099C6068-A3F8-4707-A189-0C0E28E33B41.jpeg

What's the advantage of the Woody's Wheels?

4 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

What's the advantage of the Woody's Wheels?

woody’s wheels  are as  bullet proof as you can get, first and foremost.   Stock Front wheels bend easy.   Rear is a 3 1/2”.  I can run a 140 or 150 equally the same on a 3 1/2” wheel. 

second, I can have a set of dirt wheels and a set of street wheels.   I consider a tire like the stock pirelli’s a street tire.  Mount up a set of Anakee’s or a set of stock tires on the stock wheels.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put on a shinko 705 rear. new clutch kit and changed the oil/filter and coolant.

3 hours ago, Redneckj said:

woody’s wheels  are as  bullet proof as you can get, first and foremost.   Stock Front wheels bend easy.   Rear is a 3 1/2”.  I can run a 140 or 150 equally the same on a 3 1/2” wheel. 

second, I can have a set of dirt wheels and a set of street wheels.   I consider a tire like the stock pirelli’s a street tire.  Mount up a set of Anakee’s or a set of stock tires on the stock wheels.   

Yeah; I get the appeal of multiple wheels for sure - I'd much rather do that than changing tires so damn often.  I was just wondering what the specific gain was - going to a narrower rim makes sense.

22 hours ago, Redneckj said:

I invested in a set of Woody's wheels. Love them. Fitted them with Dunlop knobbies (908RR - Rear, 606 - Front) and have E-07+'s on the stock wheels. Kept the Woody's tubed, and the stockers tubeless. Takes about 30 min to swap out. Changed my gearing as well to a 47 rear (16-46, 16-47) which helps a bit in the rugged stuff. The 908RR is a 150 as I purchased it before I made the wheel set purchase, but the next tire will be a 140. Not sure I would have purchased the Woody's set if I had known how much riding I'm NOT doing this year, but next year promises to be a big year with some BDR rides planned.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I'm done! Last mod finally completed. See yah.

20220809_165435.jpg

• Like 3
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

2 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

20220809_165435.jpg

What is it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

What is it?

I think the single disk brake!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

20220809_165435.jpg

Final mod? You "fib" like the rest of us....and sure, we all believe you, really we do 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just 6 days after ordering my very nice rack and grab bars arrived in the UK from Australia 🇦🇺...excellent quality,  perfect fit and looks great! 

20220808_162138.jpg

• Like 3

Added some cheap ($5) comfort trick. I used to do that to all my previous bikes. It's a tennis racquet over grip.

PXL_20220810_215811823.jpg

PXL_20220810_215756493.jpg

• Like 6