Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

On 8/19/2022 at 8:48 AM, DT675 said:

@UtahJack @Tenerider Thanks for the suggestions.  The Grab-ons look thin enought to do the trick.  I have heated grips though so they woud have to be easily removable hopfully without destroying them.  And Im guessing if that were the case they would probably spin?  Anyone had these *with heated grips?  I suppose at $12 I could put a set on per summer and just toss them in the fall too.

I use grip puppies with heated grips on both my bikes.  It works just fine.  They take a bit longer to heat up (an extra minute or two), but they carry just as much heat once they do.  

They absolutely do not spin.  In fact, I've always removed them (they last about 2-3 years with winter riding) for replacement simply by cutting them off, because they grip so well.  Putting them on is... Fun, if you don't have access to compressed air - but if you don't have at least a small compressor you really ought to get one for tires if nothing else. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I use grip puppies with heated grips on both my bikes.  It works just fine.  They take a bit longer to heat up (an extra minute or two), but they carry just as much heat once they do.  

They absolutely do not spin.  In fact, I've always removed them (they last about 2-3 years with winter riding) for replacement simply by cutting them off, because they grip so well.  Putting them on is... Fun, if you don't have access to compressed air - but if you don't have at least a small compressor you really ought to get one for tires if nothing else. 

I used a long metallic rod, stretching them around the grips. Found a YT video, some guy used a long screwdriver, works good. But you need some elbow grease and patience and soapy water as lubricant 😂

Just finished fitting my new Mosko Moto Reckless 40 (actually Reckless 54, cos I went with the 22l tailbag) to the bike. Biggest task was fixing 3M protective film to the side panels. Doesn't look great but it'll do the job.

Had to exchange the pillion pegs for those Kriega/Off-The-Road strap anchors, since the lower right strap was too close to the exhaust pipe for my liking. Should be fine now:

20220828_153707.jpg.d211417759735460a87bccbee30bbce2.jpg

I decided not to mount the included (!!!) heat shield. I guess the fabric won't be able to touch the exhaust as long as the side bags are inserted (even when the bike lies on top of the luggage):

20220828_153718.jpg.42a136073c1edfd0c0efee03e2e6b81b.jpg

Inserting those drybags into the harness is not an easy task. But I guess once there occurs some marring on the still sticky material, it will be easier.

I used the narrow option for the side wings, looks like that:

20220828_154035.jpg.208e6b215a5577185a78349e9f1f2a7d.jpg

I might go for the wide option, but mainly it would place the wings lower. Tested it by provisionally mounting one wing "wide", one "narrow" and found the wide setting had no advantages on my rack.

Time will tell if this rack/bag combo works as expected, or if another mounting solution is needed.

Design and craftsmanship on the Mosko stuff is great. I'll use it for longer trips, camping equipment will be very minimalistic or I might even skip it completely and book a hotel/B&B. It's Central Europe, so you're almost everywhere close to civilization (sadly).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Just finished fitting my new Mosko Moto Reckless 40 (actually Reckless 54, cos I went with the 22l tailbag) to the bike. Biggest task was fixing 3M protective film to the side panels. Doesn't look great but it'll do the job.

Had to exchange the pillion pegs for those Kriega/Off-The-Road strap anchors, since the lower right strap was too close to the exhaust pipe for my liking. Should be fine now:

20220828_153707.jpg.d211417759735460a87bccbee30bbce2.jpg

I decided not to mount the included (!!!) heat shield. I guess the fabric won't be able to touch the exhaust as long as the side bags are inserted (even when the bike lies on top of the luggage):

20220828_153718.jpg.42a136073c1edfd0c0efee03e2e6b81b.jpg

Inserting those drybags into the harness is not an easy task. But I guess once there occurs some marring on the still sticky material, it will be easier.

I used the narrow option for the side wings, looks like that:

20220828_154035.jpg.208e6b215a5577185a78349e9f1f2a7d.jpg

I might go for the wide option, but mainly it would place the wings lower. Tested it by provisionally mounting one wing "wide", one "narrow" and found the wide setting had no advantages on my rack.

Time will tell if this rack/bag combo works as expected, or if another mounting solution is needed.

Design and craftsmanship on the Mosko stuff is great. I'll use it for longer trips, camping equipment will be very minimalistic or I might even skip it completely and book a hotel/B&B. It's Central Europe, so you're almost everywhere close to civilization (sadly).

I'm gearing up my 80's for another trip in a few weeks - the Mosko stuff just works: figure out a few personalized setups and hacks, and you're golden. FWIW I use the heat-shield, and clear plastic,  and everything looks as new a year later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thepointchris said:

I'm gearing up my 80's for another trip in a few weeks - the Mosko stuff just works: figure out a few personalized setups and hacks, and you're golden. FWIW I use the heat-shield, and clear plastic,  and everything looks as new a year later.

Thanks! Maybe I should think again about using that heat shield 🙂

Fitted a new rear tire, went with a STR again as I am happy with the grip and mileage I got out of the first one. Also gave it a bath as I am getting ready for an upcoming trip.

20220827_160202.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/17/2022 at 3:28 AM, Tenerider said:

Installed my new Mosko Nomax:

20220817_102831.jpg.899d39117fdfd01ac7b3c7f9055cb6c8.jpg

20220817_102856.jpg.22df569b7cfca95fdd231f6db9577987.jpg

20220817_102934.jpg.95b23c55cb3500f4efc299385c9ef680.jpg

Quite happy with the fit and mounting. No limitations when seating or standing.

VERY good quality, tough materials, the organizing features are great.

Oooh, I really like this.  I've been looking about for a tank bag for some time now but I'm very choosy - I do not want a clear plastic sleeve on top, and I want something short.  This looks just perfect for me. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Oooh, I really like this.  I've been looking about for a tank bag for some time now but I'm very choosy - I do not want a clear plastic sleeve on top, and I want something short.  This looks just perfect for me. 

I am testing one now. Only rode with it once and I really liked all its features. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Same for me! I hate those plastic sleeves which only get ugly.

This one is really great, that's what I wrote in my review on the Mosko website:

The Nomax is just amazingly well designed. I was a bit sceptical about the layers at first, but loved them after 10 minutes.
Due to the beavertail, this is probably the most versatile tank bag ever. When not stuffed to the max, it's really small. Its features make it the perfect one-day trip bag, since hydration is so well implemented. The vast amount of inside pockets won't let your stuff tumble around as in other tank bags, things are always where you expect them to be. Saves time and protects your gear!
It won't get in your way when standing on the pegs, really important for me. Fitting it to my T7 was no problem, it stays securely in its place - although the Ténéré has an annoyingly fat filler cap.
The mesh backpack straps are just perfect.
I just can't find a single downpoint on this bag.

Quite a fanboy 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tenerider said:

although the Ténéré has an annoyingly fat filler cap.

This was something I'd specifically worried about.  Glad it's not a problem.

I'm waffling between the Nomax and the Gnome - I don't need big and the included hydration bladder and lower price tag are appealing.  It's a non-starter now regardless as everything is apparently out of stock and Mosko gear is wierdly hard to find in Canada.

Switched out the ceramic ice tank with a black one and i like it way better like this. gonna add some decals here and there but i have not decides yet. it triggers me that the tenere 700 decal on the side fairing is not parallel to the blue sticker on the bottom of the fairing...this needs to change.

spacer.png

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 6

The muffler is not quite parallel to the side panel.... pitiful (wink)!

Edited by Hibobb
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Kowalski said:

Switched out the ceramic ice tank with a black one and i like it way better like this. gonna add some decals here and there but i have not decides yet. it triggers me that the tenere 700 decal on the side fairing is not parallel to the blue sticker on the bottom of the fairing...this needs to change.

spacer.png

love the Akro

Edited by Lewie

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

The muffler is not quite parallel to the side panel.... pitiful (wink)!

That will get sorted soon, the Akra will leave me 😄

spacer.png

• Like 1

Retuned my suspension according to @NomadSweden's recommendations in his video:

I weigh 85kg trail-ready, bike has crash bars and center stand.

Initially I was riding stock settings except a little less comp damping on the front (10 instead of 11, not much of a difference) and 20 clicks preload on the rear (stock: 10) for 30% sag. New settings:

Screenshot_20220831-142254_YouTube.jpg.ecec426fca9fbd1624cdd2dea230decd.jpg

I removed two clicks of preload for compensating for the "harder" (which means more dampened) compression on the rear. Dunno if this makes much sense, but it feels good so far.

Observations: Very comfy on small road imperfections. Rougher, directer response on bigger potholes, feels harder but also more planted, less shakey. This is true for double tracks as well (having only ridden a very short stretch).

Cornering is improved on small twisty roads, as far as I can tell.

Overall it's not as comfortable, but gives better feedback onroad. I guess it will feel much "safer" offroad, as far as I can tell by now.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

Added matt black deflectors and standard windscreen dark smoked. Both parts from WRS and same size as original. This was just for looks 🙂 Very happy with the result

wrs1.jpg.efab86cbf938f62d9d6a0dda1090a8c8.jpg

• Like 4

Installed  the Twalcom side by side instrument cluster relocation mount to add Garmin Montana 700i side by side.  Review to come

the Montana is very heavy and always bending down on the Ram mount in bouncy terrain. Now it is fixed. Literally. 

644E1C4F-525A-487E-A487-3531F8B4A65C.jpeg

55820184-E793-4F7A-AA47-55ED93767ACD.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, NeilW said:

Installed  the Twalcom side by side instrument cluster relocation mount to add Garmin Montana 700i side by side.  Review to come

the Montana is very heavy and always bending down on the Ram mount in bouncy terrain. Now it is fixed. Literally. 

644E1C4F-525A-487E-A487-3531F8B4A65C.jpeg

55820184-E793-4F7A-AA47-55ED93767ACD.jpeg

Looks good but can it do landscape?

3 minutes ago, kainic said:

No. It mounts portrait only from the factory but if you are handy you could figure out a way to lay it sideways - sticking out in the right side.  

16 hours ago, kainic said:

Well I imagine if had screen rotation activated, and laid the bike on its side...

Edited by winddown
  • Haha 3

Pro Taper Evo High bend:

Good morning T-7 riders. Just wanted to give a heads up on a product that claims to fit the T-7 but DOES NOT. It's the Pro Taper Evo Adventure High bar. This product will not fit without re-routing all of your cables and electric and then I'm not even sure. I love Pro Taper, have used then for years on my YZF450's. The description said that High bend is the recommended bar for the BMW and T-7. Anyone have any positive experience with these bars before I send them back.

• Thanks 1

Knocked out the @Camel ADV rally bend along with a Leo Vince decat. It's weird hacksawing a bike.

PXL_20220911_190854361.jpg.360907adda9c787edf390157dbf6f53f.jpg

Also swapped out the Outback Motortek rack for the Adventure Spec rack, but I need some additional hardware for it to work on the exhaust side.

• Like 4

advgoats.com

Oil change

New Chain and sprocketset

New brakefluid

Installed GB Racing engine protectorset

Adjusted the suspension (Nomad Sweden style)

Ready for a week of travel towards TET Sweden

• Like 1

Semi-decent clean-up, Camel ADV One Finger Clutch installed, raised brake and gear levers a bit.