Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

28 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

raised brake and gear levers a bit.

What do you mean with "raised"?
Normally they are standard way too high and i lowered mine already on my way back from the dealer after picking him up and lowered them even more when i got used to the bike.

20 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

What do you mean with "raised"?
Normally they are standard way too high and i lowered mine already on my way back from the dealer after picking him up and lowered them even more when i got used to the bike.

The foot levers. I had set them the same height as the pegs before. Ok onroad, but I don't like it when standing, especially the shifting lever. Will do a test ride later today and see if it's better. My offroad coaches recommended it.

5 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

The foot levers. I had set them the same height as the pegs before. Ok onroad, but I don't like it when standing, especially the shifting lever. Will do a test ride later today and see if it's better. My offroad coaches recommended it.

My mistake, i read "brake lever" but failed to also focus on the shift lever and in my head filled in clutch lever :classic_blush:
Raising those levers for offroad use is indeed mostly needed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

My mistake, i read "brake lever" but failed to also focus on the shift lever and in my head filled in clutch lever :classic_blush:
Raising those levers for offroad use is indeed mostly needed.

😄 I think "shifting lever" may also be confusing, since most people use the clutch lever for shifting as well. We both know of course it's not really needed for that 😉

16 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Installed ride it brake and clutch levers.

How do you like them so far? Thats what I have and like them quite a bit.

Recently I put on the Camel side stand HD spring, Camel fork protectors and Galfer rear pads from Camel as well.  I haven't ridden it yet (damn covid...) but I am hoping to pick up some rear brake feel.

20220912_084805_resized.jpg.ce47b3d1f24ed85c865ff48df7841002.jpg

20220912_084846_resized.jpg.e478bffef50ae5b9c547145f2cd648d9.jpg

20220912_085033_resized.jpg.bc38eb4f11ea975099585596319c953e.jpg

Has anyone been able to grease the rear caliper slides under the rubber boots? I imagine I will have to remove the caliper to do this (I didn't remove the tire just for the pads) But I probably will wait until I need to remove the rear tire. They slide, but not as smooth as I would like them to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DT675 said:

Recently I put on the Camel side stand HD spring, Camel fork protectors and Galfer rear pads from Camel as well.  I haven't ridden it yet (damn covid...) but I am hoping to pick up some rear brake feel.

20220912_084805_resized.jpg.ce47b3d1f24ed85c865ff48df7841002.jpg

20220912_084846_resized.jpg.e478bffef50ae5b9c547145f2cd648d9.jpg

20220912_085033_resized.jpg.bc38eb4f11ea975099585596319c953e.jpg

Has anyone been able to grease the rear caliper slides under the rubber boots? I imagine I will have to remove the caliper to do this (I didn't remove the tire just for the pads) But I probably will wait until I need to remove the rear tire. They slide, but not as smooth as I would like them to be.

The first time I touched the rear brake entering a dirt corner after changing out the worn OEM pads with Galfers, it locked up. I smiled, then realized it was time to recalibrate my brain to having an effective rear brake. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

The first time I touched the rear brake entering a dirt corner after changing out the worn OEM pads with Galfers, it locked up. I smiled, then realized it was time to recalibrate my brain to having an effective rear brake. Enjoy!

Ha. Agreed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdub53 said:

Holy bananas I have rear brakes! I thought the pedal was so spongy, probably because I had to put all my weight on it to get the bike to slow before.  Tonight I accidentally barked the rear tire a couple times on the pavement before I got my brain recalibrated! 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 8:12 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

My mistake, i read "brake lever" ...

I lowered my brake and clutch levers but found them awkward to use in traffic and on the Hway so I brought them back up.  If you are standing up all the time I get it, but I don't stand all that much doing the crusey gravel roads around here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, winddown said:

I lowered my brake and clutch levers but found them awkward to use in traffic and on the Hway so I brought them back up.  If you are standing up all the time I get it, but I don't stand all that much doing the crusey gravel roads around here.

True. On such a bike, compromises need to be made. Mine are neither perfect for road riding (but not affecting my road riding comfort a lot), nor perfect for standing (especially noticeable in rough sections).

Bret Tkacs made a great video on handlebar ergonomics, I mostly followed his advice.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 9:43 AM, DT675 said:

How do you like them so far? Thats what I have and like them quite a bit.

Haven't ridden the bike with them yet. I had to go out of town. 

Swapped for 16t. Had to ride to a friend’s house about 10 miles away to use his impact driver. Then tighten and ride home. 
Haven’t test ridden yet. Will in a few hours. Had to hammer it on. Is they normal?  I thought it would slide on. What is your experience with a new front sprocket being tight to get on?

update- Went for a 20 mile freeway ride. The bike was just calmer and quieter at freeway speeds. Glad I made the change.
2B65BB2C-987D-4A3E-ABAB-914E91CC0002.jpeg.be47a387f8a3caddbe67cf68b8f14198.jpeg

Edited by NeilW
update

I have not replaced my T7's sprocket, but hammering any countershaft sprocket on does not sound right at all.  I've never had to do that on any make or model bike before, street or dirt. 😬

• Like 2

I put a Yamaha 16T sprocket on (from a MT-07) and it fit perfect

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

7 hours ago, NeilW said:

Had to hammer it on

Using a hammer to tap it on or hammering it on are two different things.
I also did that change and also needed to tap it on like there was a burr not removed properly, when i changed it later back to a 15T it just came off.
Now i'm running 15/45 and i like that better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Using a hammer to tap it on or hammering it on are two different things.
I also did that change and also needed to tap it on like there was a burr not removed properly, when i changed it later back to a 15T it just came off.
Now i'm running 15/45 and i like that better.

FYI the JT manufacturer said if it doesn’t slide on to return it. Too late for me. But I like the way the bike rides with the 16t to it is there for a while. 

• Like 1

I got this Kedo part, its a fuel cap holder meant to be mounted on a kedo dash bracket that I did not need.  My install method is a little gimmickey to say the least but fully functional.  Im not interested in the aftermarket hinged fuel caps, so this solution works for me.  I could probably at least turn the zip-ties around so it looks a little better maybe...

20220913_203113_resized.jpg.071d8e173709e1361d960d8490650248.jpg

20220913_203126_resized.jpg.83539e204af8b64079d4ad8b69b3a69a.jpg

Edited by DT675
  • Like 3

On 9/14/2022 at 9:31 AM, DT675 said:

I got this Kedo part, its a fuel cap holder meant to be mounted on a kedo dash bracket that I did not need.  My install method is a little gimmickey to say the least but fully functional.  Im not interested in the aftermarket hinged fuel caps, so this solution works for me.  I could probably at least turn the zip-ties around so it looks a little better maybe...

20220913_203113_resized.jpg.071d8e173709e1361d960d8490650248.jpg

20220913_203126_resized.jpg.83539e204af8b64079d4ad8b69b3a69a.jpg

Not interested in a hinged cap?  Why not?  I mean, I'm not railing on that they're the One True Path, just curious as I've been waffling about grabbing one of the T7Rally caps for ages.  They look the same, and reuse the existing lock and such, so I'm not seeing a disadvantage? 

Is there something I'm missing?

Nah, I don't think you're missing anything.  Its just a personal preference thing. Id perfer to just get it out of the way since its kinda big.  I have hinged caps on other bikes and I certainly dont have a problem with them.  Although the part that swings out of the way is tiny compared to our caps.

I just looked at their video, Its certainly a compeling part.

3 hours ago, DT675 said:

Nah, I don't think you're missing anything.  Its just a personal preference thing. Id perfer to just get it out of the way since its kinda big.  I have hinged caps on other bikes and I certainly dont have a problem with them.  Although the part that swings out of the way is tiny compared to our caps.

I just looked at their video, Its certainly a compeling part.

I tried someone's printed hinge with 3m tape for $10- didn't hold. Just went back to putting the cap on top of the ignition switch - safe, out of the wind, won't fall, etc.

• Like 3

I recently installed the Doubletake Adventure Mirrors. No picture because they're not T7-specific except for the right-hand thread adapter. I like their location and the mirrors themselves better than OEM, and I thought the stock mirrors were good. The main reasons I installed them were for increased mirror positioning options and thinking they will be less prone to breaking the clutch and front brake lever mounts in a tip-over. Someday I'll get real handguards.

Actually installed today - R&G Racing Side Rails.

Write-up with pictures - here

Edited by Boondocker
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 5:01 PM, NeilW said:

I tried someone's printed hinge with 3m tape for $10- didn't hold. Just went back to putting the cap on top of the ignition switch - safe, out of the wind, won't fall, etc.

Oh god I'd never use one affixed with tape.  I'd never be able to trust it. 

No, the T7 Rally cap is aluminum, and has a proper hinge assembly that's permanently bolted onto the bike:

https://t7rally.com/shop/ols/products/tenere-700-t7-hinged-fuel-cap-kit

Edited by Wintersdark