Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

I saw a couple of posts regarding throttlebody sync being off and even though I had no reason to check mine I decided to break out a set of gauges and check it while entertaining myself doing some other odds and ends on the bike.  As I suspected, it was  close enough for government work.  Going to go with Rule#2 on this one - "Don't fix what ain't broke".

20230326_114510.jpg.637ba3c5a2b8bc7b508e41489dfbe85d.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Lewie said:

Would be great if it could be fitted without the need to drill a hole

The slightly larger one that adds grab handles can be mounted without a hole.  I've got this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003922391757

Basically, you either need to mount to the underseat bolts  (can be complicated depending on what other stuff you've got going on down there, such as tail tidy etc) or use both the luggage bolts.  There's another model that attaches to the underseat bolts but it's more expensive.  Personally, I prefer this one as the grab handles are extremely useful.

Edit: A big side effect of these is that the grab handles also help push your soft luggage off the bike's plastics.  

Edited by Wintersdark

On 3/27/2023 at 2:09 AM, Windblown said:

I saw a couple of posts regarding throttlebody sync being off and even though I had no reason to check mine I decided to break out a set of gauges and check it while entertaining myself doing some other odds and ends on the bike.  As I suspected, it was  close enough for government work.  Going to go with Rule#2 on this one - "Don't fix what ain't broke".

I have a nice set of gauges too, Those little pipes you plug onto, are they easily/obviously visible on the inlets or do you have to pull plastic off to get at them?  Pix?? 

33 minutes ago, winddown said:

I have a nice set of gauges too, Those little pipes you plug onto, are they easily/obviously visible on the inlets or do you have to pull plastic off to get at them?  Pix?? 

You'll need to pull the plastics and tank loose to get to things.

On the left side it's best to T into the line at the sensor. If you attach directly to the throttle body and bypass the sensor the bike is going to run like crap, particularly when still cold. 

20230328_173601.jpg.e7c282523a3aecc71e66e18922ed9ac6.jpg

On the right side you have to pull a cap. Long needle nose pliers are your friend. It's deeper in there than it appears to be in the photo.

20230328_173737.jpg.8d5cc2a0cade7b07537c5e4f1e8208e8.jpg

Here's a video I ran across somewhere on here about the job. You can skip the first 7 minutes or so unless you want a refresher on how to pull the tank.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Refresher?  I've never taken the tank off lol.  It's a little involved but not overly so.  I'll suss it one one rainy day when I have nothing else on the cards.

Thanks for the write up, pix and video 🙂  All saved out for future reference.

I save all useful stuff as web archives in firefox and vids via a downloaded. 

000p.jpg.ae450665248a75230b5c73457f3ebfad.jpg

Edited by winddown
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 3:51 PM, Wintersdark said:

Finally finished my Tall Boy With Broken Knees (6'4") mods, by installing a likely highly controversial set of 20mm lowering links(Edit: Controversial given the Tall Rally seat that is; lowering links are a pretty normal thing for short people), and lifting the forms back up to stock height (where previously lowered as far as they could go)

Total ergo setup now:

* Tall Rally Seat - 41mm raised seat

* Bosleys 30mm lowered pegs

* Handlebar risers up 36mm and forwards 36mm

* Rear 20mm lowering links

* Forks at stock height

End result, when seated (compared to stock): Seat height +21mm, bars up and forward 36, pegs down 30mm).  Seat to peg difference +57mm, or 2¼”, shoulders to grips +36mm forward, 5mm down.  

Standing: shoulders to grips +36mm forwards, 66mm up.

Thus I've got sportier handlebar positioning when seated; effectively forwards and lowered. Easier handlebar position offroad, significantly raised and moved forwards to open up stability and allow me to actually stand straight upright to relax(this was impossible stock, I had to hunch over).  And finally and crucially for me, a massively opened up pegs-to-seat gap easing seated->standing transitions and reducing pressure on my knees from being all cramped up when seated (stock).  

Wonderful.

How about some pics of this setup?  Sounds great. Preferable (if you can swing it) with you on it.  

On 3/26/2023 at 8:04 AM, e010584 said:

AliExpress.

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find the exact same one.

19 hours ago, Goody Boy said:

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find the exact same one.

Link provided as follows:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802340578166.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.35.1ee51802fzq7Wp&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

but, as noted, I added the slots as it only came with a couple small holes on either side of the back edge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, e010584 said:

Link provided as follows:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802340578166.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.35.1ee51802fzq7Wp&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

but, as noted, I added the slots as it only came with a couple small holes on either side of the back edge.

Oh okay. Then I've seen them. At least I know it's possible to add additional slots. Thanks, mate.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 4:30 PM, roygilbo said:

How about some pics of this setup?  Sounds great. Preferable (if you can swing it) with you on it.  

Sure.  20230330_151817.jpg.25ab5da4d42d163d1ce6a04ad62d15f8.jpg20230330_151811.jpg.f80f61f40a7fe5a292f4b5be689a4fb4.jpg

As I said, big chonky boi, 6'4" 300lb.  Even standing straight up, lots of room between me and the bars, so really stable.  There is room for the bars to be rotated forwards as well without putting the grips at a bad angle, but that's been unnecessary.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Sure.  20230330_151817.jpg.25ab5da4d42d163d1ce6a04ad62d15f8.jpg20230330_151811.jpg.f80f61f40a7fe5a292f4b5be689a4fb4.jpg

As I said, big chonky boi, 6'4" 300lb.  Even standing straight up, lots of room between me and the bars, so really stable.  There is room for the bars to be rotated forwards as well without putting the grips at a bad angle, but that's been unnecessary.

Looks great!  I think you have the ergonomics down pat!  BTW, I have the same OBR ADV Gear Grip Mitts (along with their Tool Roll and Crash Bar Storage Bags).  Great products. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Looks great!  I think you have the ergonomics down pat!  BTW, I have the same OBR ADV Gear Grip Mitts (along with their Tool Roll and Crash Bar Storage Bags).  Great products. 

They're invaluable for winter riding here; it's crazy how much of a difference they make to keeping your hands warm.  Used to need heated gloves as well as grips when it's below freezing, not anymore.  Even down at -25C heated grips and the Grip Mitts do the job just fine.  And keeping the hands dry, of course - they go on the Tracer for road trips to cover for that.  Much easier to keep the hands warm when they're dry, and no amount of "waterproof gloves" seems to do that anywhere near as well.

I've not tried their other products - already had other bags - but frankly I'd buy them in a heartbeat.  My grip mitts have been through multiple hard crashes on pavement and rocks, and they've held up amazingly well.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

They're invaluable for winter riding here; it's crazy how much of a difference they make to keeping your hands warm.  Used to need heated gloves as well as grips when it's below freezing, not anymore.  Even down at -25C heated grips and the Grip Mitts do the job just fine.  And keeping the hands dry, of course - they go on the Tracer for road trips to cover for that.  Much easier to keep the hands warm when they're dry, and no amount of "waterproof gloves" seems to do that anywhere near as well.

I've not tried their other products - already had other bags - but frankly I'd buy them in a heartbeat.  My grip mitts have been through multiple hard crashes on pavement and rocks, and they've held up amazingly well.  

Hope to make a trip out your way one of these summers.  If you are ever coming to the island, ping me and we can go for a ride.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I am looking to get their Fender Bag and their Extras Pouch (1 or 2).  All the product I have bought from them stood up on my 13 day trip to the Yukon (last August, so didn't take the Mitts).  The Crash Bar Storage Bags fit perfectly with my SW Motech Lower crash bars.  

• Like 1

Fitting Goodridge brake lines to my 2019. Quality is typical Goodridge awesomeness. Would recommend. They took a little while to arrive because they are made to order but we’ll worth the wait 👌👍

Took the T7 on a track day at Mallory Park in the pissing down rain all day. Bike rocks. Enjoyed going past two track day bikes with full wets on.... I should know better at my age 😜

PXL_20230331_110721418.jpg

PXL_20230331_110737043.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 6

Yesterday, the weather here in Kent was atrocious, Atlantic Storm Mathias blew in and gave 70Mph gusts, sideways rain, and generally awful riding conditions.

Luckily 🙄 this coincided with my annual service booked at my local dealer in Folkestome, which happens to be on the coast, perfectly placed to catch the worst of the storm....

Heated Gloves ( Furygan ) on, wrapped in my bad weather gear  I made the short trip, and apart from being stuck at an Esso filling station for 30 Minutes awaiting the AA to reinflate my front tyre, after the forecourt pump malfuncitioned and let all the air out... the trip went well.

5000 Miles covered and full annual service plus fitting new chain with 15 tooth Yamaha sprocket ( and a new rear just to be completist.. ) along with a 525 Gold X-RING chain from DID, and a Yamaha Rally Spec OEM Sump Guard/Bash Plate. 

The gearing suits my 90% Road riding, dropping revs by around 700 at 70MPH - cruisng at 5000 now gives me 75/79 MPH, the tacho not being super accurate to read whilst at 45 degrees of lean trying to go in a straight line and keeping to one lane ( mostly ) on the way home.

T7 now ready for Spring/Summer trips, looking and feeling great !

Edited by Spelldrummer
spelling
  • Like 2

Added a weatherproof case to my China rack, works with the tail bag installed too.

It’s a little too much Sanford & Son for the Starbucks crowd but it works. 

My next project is removing the giant TENERE from the tank and fairings. I’ll surely f*ck the tank up removing the clear but I learn most things the hard way.  

And I absolutely hate stickers or identifiable marking on anything. Yes officer, it’s that damn kid again flying by my mailbox on a blue bike that had giant TENERE lettering on its side. I’d prefer the offended to say WTF was that. 

057F9A8A-21BE-4B15-AA61-D4A6EF078DEF.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dibles said:

Fitting Goodridge brake lines to my 2019. Quality is typical Goodridge awesomeness. Would recommend. They took a little while to arrive because they are made to order but we’ll worth the wait 👌👍

😬😫🙈

Spoke to soon! Front kit went on no problems. Rear kit 3 of the 4 lines supplied are no good. Lines don't line up, banjo bolts either wrong angle and direction. Line from master cylinder to rigid line impedes the swing arm, even if it would fit. Such a faff as bike needs quite a lot of dismantling to fit the rear kit. 

IMG_6243 2.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/24/2023 at 7:02 PM, gerbuuu said:

Installed this monstrosity.

Test wasn’t conclusive because there was so much wind.

almost more wind from the side than front 🙃

ABB991C1-0E0B-414A-B078-4E9021293CB1.jpeg

E99ADBB6-339A-4020-A503-6D049C0895DD.jpeg

still getting a lot of buffeting.

Unless I bend forward enough to just be behind te screen. Then its ok.

realy not liking how much it restricts my view.

Same mistakes kept being made.
Higher/bigger screens are not of the best answer to buffeting, lower screens often do a better job.
I had a small but manageable amount of buffeting and since i get my rally seat i'm sitting a bit higher and more in the wind and the buffeting is almost gone.
I don't expect it to be gone completely because i have a helmet with a peak and there is a lot of difference depending on the wind direction plus it's now cold and cold air is denser.
In summer it's quieter and less resistant.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2023 at 2:39 PM, random1781 said:

This used to be the only tire I'd use, but that was on a bigger bike and before I did any serious dirt, so it's been a while. Been thinking about giving them a shot again but that center strip has held me back. Looking forward to your thoughts on it!

@Prestone did you mount the Ranger yourself? Wondering how it is compared to the Scout.

7 minutes ago, gerbuuu said:

still getting a lot of buffeting.

Unless I bend forward enough to just be behind te screen. Then its ok.

realy not liking how much it restricts my view.

I have a touring bike and the T7. I have never liked looking through a shield. Bugs build up quick. Shortly there are small scratches and swirls. I prefer to look over the shield. Especially in rain there is rain on the wind shield and rain on my face shield. 
If you have no buffeting when standing then go low not high. Just my two cents. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Higher/bigger screens are not of the best answer to buffeting, lower screens often do a better job.
I had a small but manageable amount of buffeting and since i get my rally seat i'm sitting a bit higher and more in the wind and the buffeting is almost gone.
I don't expect it to be gone completely because i have a helmet with a peak and there is a lot of difference depending on the wind direction plus it's now cold and cold air is denser.

Strong agree here.  Buffetting sucks when you've got irregular airflow hitting your helmet.  If you lift your butt (to raise your head) or lower the windscreen (to lower the disturbed air) and get your face out of the dirty air it fixes things right up.  

As a tall guy, I've found it's basically impossible to get a big enough windscreen unless I'm on some mammoth bagger with a barn door in front, but most bikes with windscreens are designed for smaller people and where the dirty air would go over their head, it catches me directly in the face.  Simply mounting a lower windscreen/taller seat gets constant clean air on my head and shoulders, which allows me to just lean into the wind and expend zero energy, while the dirty air on my chest isn't noticeable.  

8 hours ago, NeilW said:

I have never liked looking through a shield. Bugs build up quick. Shortly there are small scratches and swirls. I prefer to look over the shield. 

If you have no buffeting when standing then go low not high. Just my two cents. 

Absolutely a great way to decide high or low right there!  And yeah, looking through a windscreen is looking through two layers of plastic, both of which are going to accumulate bugs/swirls/dust.  It's horrible.  Hard no for this guy; I will NOT keep a windscreen that is in my line of sight looking forwards.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Exactly what I keep saying. I have a rally seat, but for my short torso I needed the Puig Sport screen.

Looks great and reduces buffeting at least by 80%.

Only downside: Smartphone isn't fully protected against wind, rain and mud any more 😁

• Like 1