Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I really want a second front wheel assembly.  I spend a lot of time changing front tires for different circumstances, and I'd like it to not suck so much.  Even with a changer, those stiff walled 21" adv fronts are *work* to change.  

Kitting the T7 up for a nice fun off-road training course at a local MX track.  Aggressive front tire (the GPS rear is absolutely fine), mirrors, windshield, luggage all off.  Pretty excited to get professional training!

I picked up a set of Excel with Haan billet hubs for $1600AUD. I bought new discs an abs rings for about $450. Now have the luxury of 2 different types of tyres.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I am lying on the bed in a hotel in Namibia after completing a 10 day safari in a Ford Ranger with Mrs 101. 7 days in SA next then back to Oz for some riding.

I have a new set of tyres to go on the spare wheels so that will be number 1 priority.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I really want a second front wheel assembly.  I spend a lot of time changing front tires for different circumstances, and I'd like it to not suck so much.  Even with a changer, those stiff walled 21" adv fronts are *work* to change.  

Kitting the T7 up for a nice fun off-road training course at a local MX track.  Aggressive front tire (the GPS rear is absolutely fine), mirrors, windshield, luggage all off.  Pretty excited to get professional training!

Which course are you doing? There's a 1-day Enduro Park Canada course that's coming by Edmonton in June that I was thinking about possibly trying out.

wrs wind screen and side wind deflectors

camel adv 1 finger clutch bracket for OEM crash bars

gilles tooling shift lever rod support

OEM skid plate euro 5

20230524_194113(1).jpg

20230524_194103(1).jpg

20230524_160130(1).jpg

20230524_160157(1).jpg

20230524_160144(1).jpg

Edited by NicoNicoNii
  • Like 1

Did a bit of weight reduction on the rotor today. Shaved up 0.38lbs.

20230521_155845.jpg

1 hour ago, Andre92 said:

20230521_155845.jpg

If you would wash your rims, could loose another 0.38lbs, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Andre92 said:

20230521_155845.jpg

@Andre92 just curious what kind of riding you are doing that shaving weight will help. I have resigned myself to gravel roads for sight seeing. Loving all my "creature comforts"

• Like 1

I hope you engineered the weight reduction. It would be very nasty for a stress fracture to appear.

• Like 2

Mods complete. Ready for adventure. 

Previous owner:
Heated grips.                             $65
Renthal Fatbars handlebar.     $90
Adjustable handlebar risers.  $60
Lowering link (20mm)             $40
Lower seat.                               $155
High mount exhaust.               $750
LED turn signals.                     $65
Skid plate.                                 $210
Rear rack.                                 $120
Tidy Tail.                                   $120

Me:
Top box.                                $184.19
Crash bars.                           $108.29
LED driving lights.               $30
LED light bar mount.           $10.21
High mount front fender.    $178.26
Rekluse clutch.                    $708.71
Chain guide.                         $39.95
Throttle lock.                        $55.50
Rear ABS bypass (brake line) $20
USB power plug w/meter.  $13
6.1 Gallon Acerbis tank.     $365.73
Locking cap.                         $39.15
Crossbar GPS mount.         $21.58
Headlight guard.                  $33.58

20230521_210308.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, Windblown said:

Agree to a point. I'd much rather get stuck at low speed in dirt than crash at high speed on pavement for sure. I prefer avoiding either even more.   

I suspect also that a lot of T7 riders never come here, this is like the diehard forum and lots here are right into offroad.  Look at all the members with tire changers, who buys a tire changer?  Diehard offroaders and guys that race.  Mud?  I'd ride through it if I absolutely had to but If there's been heavy rains I put off riding for 2 or 3 days.  That's street as well, where I live up in the foothills most of the roads are twisty and gravel wash on the blacktop is not uncommon. 

I'm glad I hung around long enough to figure out exactly what I want to do on the bike, so I didn't waste time and money on things that would degrade my riding experience.  The T7 is the perfect adv bike for me, no doubt, but the wrong set of tires for my riding habits and it becomes something else entirely.   That's the beauty of the bike isn't it.  It could suit nearly any rider regardless of where they want to go on it.

Trouble is I also have a little suzuki 4x4 and camping in winter here is a chilling experience without a freezer suit, which I take, and sleep in too lol.  Summer will see some trips out camping on the T7 though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Popawilly said:

Mods complete. Ready for adventure. 

You should look into the Scotts damper on the tripleclamp moto mount, a piece of cake to install and a real game changer on and off road, especially offroad.   Only issue might be the tank you have but they probably factored that in when they designed it. 

6 hours ago, NeilW said:

@Andre92 just curious what kind of riding you are doing that shaving weight will help. I have resigned myself to gravel roads for sight seeing. Loving all my "creature comforts"

I ride it like a dirtbike basically, I throw it around a lot so the lighter the better. Just seeing how light I can get it and having fun doing it!

1 hour ago, Andre92 said:

I ride it like a dirtbike basically, I throw it around a lot so the lighter the better. Just seeing how light I can get it and having fun doing it!

Awesome that we can both enjoy the same bike at opposite ends of the weight spectrum. 21# added for the tail rack and locking case, center stand 10#, etc etc, but I did go tubeless and although I didn't weigh my HD tubes I figure I saved 3+ # that way 🙂

2 hours ago, Danrides said:

People add all these things on to their bike, I'm like why...

Less is more on the T7.

For me, I am done with technical single track riding at high speed. Did that for many years, was fun when I was 50 and 60 but now I am 71 and I enjoy the dirt on the backroads to take me to scenery. Different strokes for different folks. I now enjoy my creature comforts - to include a cup holder and highway pegs 🙂

I am loving every ride probably as much as those that strip it down and ride it like they stole it.  Nice part about the T7 and me is that if I make a wrong turn and end up in technical stuff, my technical chops and the bike will get me through it without a scratch.  I just choose the scenic routes now. We are both winners for our styles. 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2023 at 12:03 AM, NeilW said:

I have the Rabaconda street tire changer. When I got the hang of it I can take off a tire and remount a different tire in under 10 minutes. And easy. Not hard and frustrating. I shocked myself when I mounted the Heidenau K60 scout REAR  in about 3 minutes. Couldn’t believe I did it and it was that easy.   Rabaconda is about $650. How much is a front wheel assembly ? 

I've got an olmax motors changer, which is like the rabaconda without the ratchet.  It takes more space, as I have it mounted on a table, but no ratchet doesn't really matter as I can just walk around.  The problem is the tool (which is identical, a butler head) can be challenging to get into a very stiff walled 90/90 21, specifically the second half when removing.  See: motoz tires, which are so stiff you can basically run them flat.  The rears are very fast and easy as the rim width gives lots of room to play with the tubes etc, but I almost never change rears. 

No idea for the whole front wheel assembly.  Brand new would be absurdly expensive, given the cost of rotors and whatnot, but I'd like to find a used rim at a reasonable cost so I can switch back and forth in just the time it takes to remove and replace a wheel.  

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, TeneRico700 said:

Which course are you doing? There's a 1-day Enduro Park Canada course that's coming by Edmonton in June that I was thinking about possibly trying out.

Blackfoot Motorsports here in Calgary is doing the GS training course: 

Canada's #1 Motorcycle Dealership and eCommerce Store

There's several dates, the first being Monday (when I'm going) but iirc there's 4-5 more dates too.  $350.

Training is done at the Wild Rose MX park that's pretty much next door to the Blackfoot hotel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Let’s try the sheepy

120A1311-B03A-4772-9F7E-F39DB1BE8512.jpeg

Sheepy with the temps we’re having? Roasted chestnuts anyone?😂😂🍺

• Haha 3

I found a best location for the Scottoiler. There is no interference with the right side cover but needed to make a bracket with 3D printer.

PXL_20230527_073108630.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/26/2023 at 10:23 AM, Danrides said:

People add all these things on to their bike, I'm like why...

Less is more on the T7.

Because the bike is pretty ordinary without them, with decent mods it becomes awesome, like it would have been if it hadn't been built to a price point to generate max sales.  Things like center stands and decent pipes used to be standard on bigger bikes, Decent suspension and stuff like dampers and crashbars standard on high end adventure bikes.   If I had wanted something light to just cane around in the dirt on I wouldn't have bought a T7

Edited by winddown

6 minutes ago, winddown said:

Because the bike is pretty ordinary without them, with decent mods it becomes awesome, like it would have been if it hadn't been built to a price point to generate max sales.  Things like center stands and decent pipes used to be standard on bigger bikes, Decent suspension and stuff like dampers and crashbars standard on high end adventure bikes.   If I had wanted something light to just cane around in the dirt on I wouldn't have bought a T7

I agree it needs upgrades, thus why mine has Ohlins, Full exhaust system and tune, numerous Camel ADV upgrades.

I was more getting at why people add all the racks, random parts that just weigh it down. the beauty of the bike is its simplicity.

If I wanted a loaded bike for touring I'd buy a GS 1250 ADV because it's better in everyway for more road orientated riding.

Horses for courses, I'm not suggesting anyone's doing it wrong, I'd just pick something else if i was gunna do it that way.

• Like 2

Ran a throttle body sync yesterday, prolnS10 did a great job with the instructional post: 

My bike was at 2500 miles and I found it way, way out. C1 was 8 and C2 was 16. Set them both set to 13-14 and it’s unbelievable how much better it runs. My last sync was on a 1200 triumph twin at 3k and it was out a smidge, not a massive gap like my T7. 

Had me grinning ear-to-ear power sliding 2nd gear on the street. Tip ins and roll ons are silky smooth now, no wonder the owners manual has a sync required at 600 miles.

And I couldn’t help thinking, damn this little CP2 is great; how much fun could a stripped down MT7 be. 

IMG_1492.jpeg

• Like 4

Damage was done. 
but found a solid way to remove a completely stuck db killer.

82F7D6B0-7F54-482C-9C2B-D53176B2D250.jpeg

00C33F1F-96FE-46AD-A493-1AC7434DE0D9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2023 at 3:28 AM, Danrides said:

I agree it needs upgrades, thus why mine has Ohlins, Full exhaust system and tune, numerous Camel ADV upgrades.

I was more getting at why people add all the racks, random parts that just weigh it down. the beauty of the bike is its simplicity.

If I wanted a loaded bike for touring I'd buy a GS 1250 ADV because it's better in everyway for more road orientated riding.

Horses for courses, I'm not suggesting anyone's doing it wrong, I'd just pick something else if i was gunna do it that way.

Ohlins upgrade, Full exhaust and tune, sounds like you bought it for powering around the streets on?  I put a Wilbers on mine and upgraded the forks but only so it would handle better in the dirt, I put on the titanium slip on can so it would be lighter and the pipe would be out of harms way in a fall.  Like you say, horses for courses, I put Mosko bags on for basic tools and a coffee thermos etc but I don't do long runs.   I think a lot of people load them up because they do long runs but don't want to be on a heavy 'occasionally' unreliable beast like the GS.  The GS fully loaded weighs a ton, and costs a lot more 😄