Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

8 minutes ago, winddown said:

Ohlins upgrade, Full exhaust and tune, sounds like you bought it for powering around the streets on?  I put a Wilbers on mine and upgraded the forks but only so it would handle better in the dirt, I put on the titanium slip on can so it would be lighter and the pipe would be out of harms way in a fall.  Like you say, horses for courses, I put Mosko bags on for basic tools and a coffee thermos etc but I don't do long runs.   I think a lot of people load them up because they do long runs but don't want to be on a heavy 'occasionally' unreliable beast like the GS.  The GS fully loaded weighs a ton, and costs a lot more 😄

I ride 70% off-road, the 30% is commuting and riding to the trails here on the PNW18A991ED-7BFF-4D0F-A73F-97B4D764BC2F.jpeg.8a3d1c70b7afe9bd5798d04bffa2883d.jpeg

• Like 1

ECU relocation from @farreachoutfitters

shipping time was less than a week from Canada to Germany.
(no sponsorship, agreement or else, payed full price with shipping.)

IMG_20230528_152710.jpg

IMG_20230528_152707.jpg

IMG_20230528_152704.jpg

IMG_20230528_152653.jpg

• Like 1

After thinking about a High fender for quite a while, I saw the new ‘Extreme’ Edition T7 and the OEM High Fender tipped me over the edge, purchased from Flitwick Mc’s here in UK.

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1077.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks good - was a previous statement correct? The white does not exactly match the bike ? If you don’t mind how much was the kit

3 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Looks good - was a previous statement correct? The white does not exactly match the bike ? If you don’t mind how much was the kit

Would also be interested in the colour match - as I found, mine doesn't match my '21 Intensity White (none-Rally model).

Fitted a new rear tyre, decided to give GOLDENTYRE GT723,  140/80/18 a go, not bad was my initial thoughts.

Damn close to the swingarm but🤔🤔.

IMG_20230529_133005971_MP.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

Fitted a new rear tyre, decided to give GOLDENTYRE GT723,  140/80/18 a go, not bad was my initial thoughts.

Damn close to the swingarm but🤔🤔.

IMG_20230529_133005971_MP.jpg

Really close... with mud or when catching a rock in the thread it might become a problem.

But then the thread is relatively wide spaced, so it should not happen too often.

Didn't expect a 140/80 tire to have such a big diameter on OEM rims!

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

The colour is White Plastic, not painted, so no does not match 'Pearl' White paint of bike, however you need to look closely !

I paid £262 from Flitwick MC's Ebay store, next Day delivery and 25 Minutes to fit, even for me as a dedicated 'non-mechanic' 

Edited by Spelldrummer
  • Like 1

I've been running 140s the last 2 tyres and this wasn't an issue, I'm considering pulling it off, it's actually contacting the swingarm at times!

Edited by Stevoh
  • Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Stevoh said:

I've been running 140s the last 2 tyres and this wasn't an issue, I'm considering pulling it off, it's actually contacting the swingarm at times!

This might fix that oversize 140! 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Did my off-road training course.   

Wow.

Learned a LOT, god a lot of really good practice in - it's absolutely true that the university of YouTube and just going and doing can get you far, but having a professional coach there to critique small technical failures is invaluable.  Progressed more in that 8 hours than I have over hundreds of kilometers ridden.

But.  Good lord.  I've had a lot of full day rides in the dirt, so I thought I knew what to expect in terms of physical demands.  I was wrong.  8 hours spent doing technical exercises in full gear in the sun where brutal. 

We did several laps on a minibike track which one may think is easy, but even on the T7 a track designed for 50-100cc minibikes is TIGHT. The mix in a full Enduro track...  It's real work.  I'm so damn glad I was on a 450lb T7 instead of a big GS or 1290 Super Adventure.  Not gonna lie, I glared enviously at the one guy on a tiny 250 KTM more than once.  

Did really well, up to the last two hours where exhaustion lead to two stupid, unnecessary drops, one training in ruts where I just wasn't moving enough to counterbalance, and one just doing a stupid, normal uturn on flat hard ground.  There's definitely a point where the body just says "Nah, bro, I'm not doing that.  Time for a nap." The upside is at that level of exhaustion there's no energy to spare on embarrassment.

I liked the overall method of training, though.  Just ride a track as is, do specific training relevant to that track, then ride the track again afterwards so you directly use those skills and really see your progression first hand.  

Jumping the T7 is super fun.  I mean, I've had wheels off the ground from bumps and berms and such riding normally, but actually taking it off big designed MX jumps and getting serious air is WILD fun. 

But... Wow.  It's the next day now, and I can only barely stand.  What a workout that was. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Did my off-road training course.   

Wow.

Learned a LOT, god a lot of really good practice in - it's absolutely true that the university of YouTube and just going and doing can get you far, but having a professional coach there to critique small technical failures is invaluable.  Progressed more in that 8 hours than I have over hundreds of kilometers ridden.

But.  Good lord.  I've had a lot of full day rides in the dirt, so I thought I knew what to expect in terms of physical demands.  I was wrong.  8 hours spent doing technical exercises in full gear in the sun where brutal. 

We did several laps on a minibike track which one may think is easy, but even on the T7 a track designed for 50-100cc minibikes is TIGHT. The mix in a full Enduro track...  It's real work.  I'm so damn glad I was on a 450lb T7 instead of a big GS or 1290 Super Adventure.  Not gonna lie, I glared enviously at the one guy on a tiny 250 KTM more than once.  

Did really well, up to the last two hours where exhaustion lead to two stupid, unnecessary drops, one training in ruts where I just wasn't moving enough to counterbalance, and one just doing a stupid, normal uturn on flat hard ground.  There's definitely a point where the body just says "Nah, bro, I'm not doing that.  Time for a nap." The upside is at that level of exhaustion there's no energy to spare on embarrassment.

I liked the overall method of training, though.  Just ride a track as is, do specific training relevant to that track, then ride the track again afterwards so you directly use those skills and really see your progression first hand.  

Jumping the T7 is super fun.  I mean, I've had wheels off the ground from bumps and berms and such riding normally, but actually taking it off big designed MX jumps and getting serious air is WILD fun. 

But... Wow.  It's the next day now, and I can only barely stand.  What a workout that was. 

Sounds like a lot of fun. Did they help you pick it up 🙂 ?

I got my off road education doing 8000 miles of technical off roading on a Honda XR 250.  It was brand new when I bought it and in the first 6 months it was so scratched and dented from all the drops it looked like a 30 year old bike.. I didn't do any dirt for 8 years until I got the T7.  All the experience from the smaller bike transferred to the T7- thankfully.  The biggest transition issue with my muscle memory is the slow tight turning radius. The XR 250 is about 145cm and the T7 is 163. The T7 in tight single track is like turning the Titanic  vrs a speed boat - IMHO.  

Glad you took the training- the experience will keep your confidence up and the rubber side up too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

Sounds like a lot of fun. Did they help you pick it up 🙂 ?

I got my off road education doing 8000 miles of technical off roading on a Honda XR 250.  It was brand new when I bought it and in the first 6 months it was so scratched and dented from all the drops it looked like a 30 year old bike.. I didn't do any dirt for 8 years until I got the T7.  All the experience from the smaller bike transferred to the T7- thankfully.  The biggest transition issue with my muscle memory is the slow tight turning radius. The XR 250 is about 145cm and the T7 is 163. The T7 in tight single track is like turning the Titanic  vrs a speed boat - IMHO.  

Glad you took the training- the experience will keep your confidence up and the rubber side up too!

Yeah, there where two instructors and 12 of us students, and the only bike not dropped during the day was the little 250.  At least two people every time, which I'm thankful for.  For all the praise I'll heap on the T7, it's a much harder bike to lift than a GS.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, there where two instructors and 12 of us students, and the only bike not dropped during the day was the little 250.  At least two people every time, which I'm thankful for.  For all the praise I'll heap on the T7, it's a much harder bike to lift than a GS.  

Yes our T7 lays flatter when it naps.

• Like 3

On 5/28/2023 at 2:46 PM, JJS209 said:

ECU relocation from @farreachoutfitters

shipping time was less than a week from Canada to Germany.
(no sponsorship, agreement or else, payed full price with shipping.)

IMG_20230528_152710.jpg

IMG_20230528_152707.jpg

IMG_20230528_152704.jpg

IMG_20230528_152653.jpg

So what are your thoughts? Worth the effort?

5 hours ago, kainic said:

So what are your thoughts? Worth the effort?

Please forgive my ignorance. Why move it? I have never seen anyone complain about where the ECU is located and I am on a lot of forums. Have I missed something?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NeilW said:

Please forgive my ignorance. Why move it? I have never seen anyone complain about where the ECU is located and I am on a lot of forums. Have I missed something?

I recall someone mentioning damaging the ECU in a crash (or perhaps they were just concerned it could get damaged).  The relocation position would be more secure in a crash but given the number of T700s that have been dumped repeatedly without issue I don't think it warrants being too concerned about. I suspect the OEM position for it runs a fair bit cooler which may be the reason Yamaha opted to put it where it is. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Windblown said:

I recall someone mentioning damaging the ECU in a crash (or perhaps they were just concerned it could get damaged).  The relocation position would be more secure in a crash but given the number of T700s that have been dumped repeatedly without issue I don't think it warrants being too concerned about. I suspect the OEM position for it runs a fair bit cooler which may be the reason Yamaha opted to put it where it is. 

Apparently the guy that sells them had his damaged in a fall. freak accident? YMMV

A bit like moving your radiator in case a rock hits it.  We could grab those side mount ones off the old Honda VFR and mod the side plastics and blah blah blah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kainic said:

Apparently the guy that sells them had his damaged in a fall. freak accident? YMMV

I'd way, WAY sooner just run a set of Heed rear crash bars and call it a day.  I mean, I suppose between my rear bars and the grab rails, a particularly pokey rock in exactly the right place with substantial force could physically damage it, but that would be an EXTREMELY freak accident, and once you start worrying about things like that, well, there's no end in sight. 

Seems silly to me, but to each their own.

• Like 3

New graphics @wink_graphics

new tower bracket

GPS holder bar clamp

Bar ends weight

alluminum bolts and washers @probolts  Captain America shield 

Frame guards - Arcebis 

and my new park bike - I finally finish it.  #weekendprojects 

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0722.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0721.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

20230522_191413.jpeg

20230520_153819.jpeg

20230520_154735.jpeg

20230520_160233.jpeg

20230520_165544.jpeg

20230520_163951.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_20230331_170836_089.jpeg

thumbnail_20230331_163638.jpeg

20230522_192641.jpeg

20230522_192650.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

Edited by pvflyer
  • Like 4

ordered some serious graphics, from upshift

2019 - 2023 YAMAHA TENERE 700 GRAPHICS KIT - RALLY BLUE - Upshift Online  Inc.

and a pair of acerbis upper fork protectors

Protezione Acerbis Upper Fork Covers Black Spedizione Gratuita

• Like 4