Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

37 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Are those ProGrip 714s? I had those on my WR and loved them. Is the grip length similar to OEM so you don’t have to mod anything?

Yeah they are, good grips had em on a few bikes now and easily trimmed to whatever length you need 👍

@ch4kk forgot to add I had to trim about 5mm off the throttle tube.

• Premium Member

Is that T7 Rally screen risers I see there JB ?? 

If so, what like, been thinking about them for a while, just no sure if I need them or not. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyboxer said:

Took her out for a spin 3A441E2C-7786-448A-9223-7CC8C9F7CB41.thumb.jpeg.2b256650284cc33cbcb853babf8c2489.jpeg

Hey JB, out for a spin........

or do you mean a rest (lay down) 😉🤪

On 8/16/2020 at 8:24 AM, vagrant318 said:

Id like to see a full pic of your bike- is that a vinyl wrap from somewhere?

It's a wrap I had a local guy make for me.  Marpat urban camo with unit emblems from my father, myself, and two of my son's.  Sorry I don't have a good pic of just the bike.

IMG_4214.JPG

• Like 2

Took mine out for a 300-mile ride yesterday.

The pic is from the first couple miles of the NEBDR, which starts in Hancock, NY. 

T7-HDR-2 copy.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 4

I rode it!!!

Doc cleared me to ride "one of my street bikes with upright seating position and windscreen"...FINALLY!!!

Still won't let me race until October, but still...this is a WIN for me!  Was the first one to get it in Vegas that I know of on June 6th, and it just sat in my garage until recently.  Fitted the Yamaha Low Accessory seat and off I went!

Did phase one of "my break-in procedure" - changed the oil and filter after 50 miles, then next day rode 200 miles on the second stage of my break-in.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

118102542_1002604213511245_3092228106067672755_n.thumb.jpg.b278d43beec66e538a06e0631b528656.jpg

79853772_117871505_703611473524800_7151619069852411267_n(1).thumb.jpg.047a11f90339d701bc5aaea021b3fd37.jpg

117767710_709706962913086_8347265998681360218_n.thumb.jpg.2c5af113d4777e990bd8b8dccf465697.jpg

It's magical!  Can't wait to get started on the build!

🙂

- Paul

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 5

• Moderators
1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

I rode it!!!

Doc cleared me to ride "one of my street bikes with upright seating position and windscreen"...FINALLY!!!

Still won't let me race until October, but still...this is a WIN for me!  Was the first one to get it in Vegas that I know of on June 6th, and it just sat in my garage until recently.  Fitted the Yamaha Low Accessory seat and off I went!

Did phase one of "my break-in procedure" - changed the oil and filter after 50 miles, then next day rode 200 miles on the second stage of my break-in.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

118102542_1002604213511245_3092228106067672755_n.thumb.jpg.b278d43beec66e538a06e0631b528656.jpg

79853772_117871505_703611473524800_7151619069852411267_n(1).thumb.jpg.047a11f90339d701bc5aaea021b3fd37.jpg

117767710_709706962913086_8347265998681360218_n.thumb.jpg.2c5af113d4777e990bd8b8dccf465697.jpg

It's magical!  Can't wait to get started on the build!

🙂

- Paul

Great to hear Paul! Glad you got the green light, cheers. 

• Thanks 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

I mounted new TKC80 tires and did my 600 mile oil change this afternoon. 

• Like 1

Fitted the SW Motech engine guard today. I think it was designed for a zombie apocalypse. Very substantial. 

20200819_160407.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Started to add some decals from decalmoto tonight. 500 micron. Some decals need some trimming, but quite easy to put on

thumbnail_IMG_1295.jpg

• Like 2

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever 

Finished up the Decals this morning

IMG_1297.jpg

• Like 3

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever 

On 4/3/2020 at 8:55 PM, Allen Kelly said:

Locked up with bits to add to the bike.

Hi everyone, I suppose being in lock down as they call it, it gives us time to do all the accessories   that we normally save for those miserable rainy days. So today I removed the standard muffler and added a Barrett muffler (another Australian engineering company) along with their pannier racks. The muffler and the left side went on like a finger in a glove but I had to do a little engineering of my own to get the right side fitting with the B&B tail rack just so I can open the rack when needed. All good and filled in the day nicely. After completing the task I sat on my shed stool with a cold Iron Jack and admired my handy work. I was at that point very satisfied but then I noticed the Givi tool box I purchased years ago and never got around to using. While having a sip I thought that might just fit on those racks nicely. And it did. Now I’m extremely satisfied. Cheers all.  

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

will the rear seat come off with that rack in place?

• Like 3

All the gear & no idea. I'm either going to make my seat more comfortable or completely ruin it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained....🙂

20200822_182510.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bruce Monighan said:

will the rear seat come off with that rack in place?

Also, who's pannier racks are those?  Nice tight fit

24 minutes ago, DT675 said:

@pgeldz I’m curious why you changed the oil at only 50 miles?  

I do a special break-in.

0-20 miles (in this case 50) - I accelerate HARD up to 7,000 RPM, then let it engine brake back down.  I do it in 2nd gear, than again in 3rd, again in 4th, and again in 5th.

I believe it gets everything seated properly.

Oil change right away, because running it hard could create microscopic metal shavings, and you don't want them going through your motor 

50-300 miles - I run it to 8500 RPM as the RPM limit, in all kinds of riding, never being at constant throttle. Use engine braking whenever I can.

300 miles - change oil

300-1000 miles - take it to redline often, always varying RPM.  Use engine braking whenever I can.

1000 miles - Change to high quality full synthetic oil, And ride it however I want.

It's a hybrid method between the owners manual, and the Motoman method.

Broke-in every bike I've ever had like this, and they consistently make incredible HP and run great.

🙂

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 1

Installed my new Camel-ADV Gut Guard.  Well built piece of hardware, but I made one mistake.  I had the dealer install the center stand BEFORE I began the install.  The only reason that is a problem, is the additional support that Camel/Cory added for the rear of the guard, requires a small hanger, that is on a pretty beefy bolt.  That bolt is too long to fit into position, because of a bracket on the right side, supporting the center stand (there's a part of the exhaust pipe very close to the nylock nut on the other so no chance of slipping the bolt in from the other side).  I had to remove 4 bolts from the right side of the center stand, in order to remove the bracket, to get the new Camel bolt/hanger installed.  This was a one time issue, as any removal I need to do, like for oil changes, will not require the same amount of effort. 

**** Not at all a criticism of the Camel Gut Guard **** 
This is an amazing and beautiful piece of metalwork, just a cautionary message, in case anyone else was planning on the Camel Gut Guard, and the Center Stand... at the very least, put the Camel hanger on first !!

20200822_175104-1.jpg

20200822_175050.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmptyM said:

20200822_175050.jpg

Totally agree. Ive got the same Camel skid and it's absolute awesome. Quality piece and love that it totally protects the rear linkage. 

1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

I do a special break-in.

0-20 miles (in this case 50) - I accelerate HARD up to 7,000 RPM, then let it engine brake back down.  I do it in 2nd gear, than again in 3rd, again in 4th, and again in 5th.

I believe it gets everything seated properly.

Oil change right away, because running it hard could create microscopic metal shavings, and you don't want them going through your motor 

50-300 miles - I run it to 8500 RPM as the RPM limit, in all kinds of riding, never being at constant throttle. Use engine braking whenever I can.

300 miles - change oil

300-1000 miles - take it to redline often, always varying RPM.  Use engine braking whenever I can.

1000 miles - Change to high quality full synthetic oil, And ride it however I want.

It's a hybrid method between the owners manual, and the Motoman method.

Broke-in every bike I've ever had like this, and they consistently make incredible HP and run great.

🙂

"It's a hybrid method between the owners manual, and the Motoman method."

Not at all saying what you did is wrong, as there's many schools of thought on the break in of bikes. But I dont know what manual you got, but there literally isn't anything in the Yamaha brake in recommendations that mirror how you did yours in the manual that came with my bike. LOL

Edited by johnnygolucky

27 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

"It's a hybrid method between the owners manual, and the Motoman method."

Not at all saying what you did is wrong, as there's many schools of thought on the break in of bikes. But I dont know what manual you got, but there literally isn't anything in the Yamaha brake in recommendations that mirror how you did yours in the manual that came with my bike. LOL

Yamaha manuals usually say don't go over 6K rpm for the first 600-1000 miles, and vary RPM's.

That's why I called mine a hybrid method between that, and the Motoman method.

The Motoman method is something like take it to Redline HARD and letting the engine decelerate back down, back up, back down for 20 miles, take it home, change oil and filters, etc.

My procedure is sorta a mix of both 🙂

My procedure is similar to yours, but definitely a few small differences. I do my 1st oil change at about 200 miles. I may not accelerate quite as hard as maybe you do but that 200 miles is all- accelerate, de-accelerate, repeat.  I like lots of big de-acceleration.  Creates less heat.  I don’t really watch the rpms but keep them from getting too high. I consider it broken in at about 600 or so miles and switch to synthetic. (That’s likely over 2 million revolutions)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DT675 said:

My procedure is similar to yours, but definitely a few small differences. I do my 1st oil change at about 200 miles. I may not accelerate quite as hard as maybe you do but that 200 miles is all- accelerate, de-accelerate, repeat.  I like lots of big de-acceleration.  Creates less heat.  I don’t really watch the rpms but keep them from getting too high. I consider it broken in at about 600 or so miles and switch to synthetic. (That’s likely over 2 million revolutions)

I do similar as you. Just dumped my oil at 220. It's the first 100 miles that the shaving come from and most of the break in is. Will change it again with dino at 600 and then full synthetic at 1,500. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

Yamaha manuals usually say don't go over 6K rpm for the first 600-1000 miles, and vary RPM's.

That's why I called mine a hybrid method between that, and the Motoman method.

The Motoman method is something like take it to Redline HARD and letting the engine decelerate back down, back up, back down for 20 miles, take it home, change oil and filters, etc.

My procedure is sorta a mix of both 🙂

Factually, the manual says specifically for break in "avoid prolonged operation obove 5,000 RPM's" for the first 600 miles. Dump the oil and filter at 600. Then "avoid prolonged operation above 6,000 RPM's" until you hit 1,000 miles. After 1,000 miles ride as you do. 

I didn't follow it either. lol

• Like 1

Installed the new Arrow Titanium exhaust and rode down to Happy Camp California! We found bigfoot!

20200822_125557.jpg

Edited by helipilotxtz700
  • Like 3

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

7 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

Factually, the manual says specifically for break in "avoid prolonged operation obove 5,000 RPM's" for the first 600 miles. Dump the oil and filter at 600. Then "avoid prolonged operation above 6,000 RPM's" until you hit 1,000 miles. After 1,000 miles ride as you do. 

I didn't follow it either. lol

I knew it was something close to that, haha.