Noel McCutcheon

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

thumbnail.jpeg

Your bike looks great blacked out 😃

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

1 hour ago, ch4kk said:

@johnnygolucky To be quite honest, I wouldn't recommend these china-made levers... it's very obvious they are not manufactured to the same precise standards as the japanese/european options. I'll be looking out towards Zeta/ASV for a change soon.

They look good, I must say 🙂 but there's so much play between all the various pieces. I'm not talking about cable free play, here, mind you... taking the "ball end" of the lever and moving it vertically, I'd say it'd be able to move ~1cm.

Links below if you want to give it a go... at least they're cheap! 😉

Tenere 700 Short Adjustable Brake Clutch Levers

YAMAHA TENERE 700 XTZ700 Motorcycle Brake Clutch Levers Tire Value Cap

I bough these and am happy with the quality for the money. The fit is good but they do have some vertical movement as well.

s-l400.jpg

Description: 1.Condition: 100% Guarantee Brand New 2.Position lever adjustment stainless steel fasteners. 3.Hydraulic and Clutch Brake 4.High Quality Long Life And Durability 5.Hard Anodized Finish.

• Like 2

Just remember the bolt that secures the original clutch lever has a metal sleeve/ bush around it..you need to re use this on the after market levers. Its fairly obvious,  but just so you know!! Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

I had my dealer wire in my new Garmin Zumo XT sat nav which I’ve had mounted on a Donner Tech Mount. The mount I purchased had to be cut down because I have the Camel Bobble Head Stays fitted but I think it all looks very tidy. 

2EA5B8E7-C68E-4F2B-8D77-CC3171B8772B.jpeg

CAE66D41-C5C2-4FB6-924D-EEF7C6648229.jpeg

• Like 2

I installed a battery tender quick disconnect clipped on my old gps mount and ordered a set of Trippleclamp case savers. 

15988046295051801382699489159314.jpg

15988046842658348133439473457285.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_20200830_113559.thumb.jpg.c9547e2bb7b4e1697db07a09c4770e33.jpginstalled ralle moto steering damper and healtech quickshifter... 

IMG_20200829_143637.thumb.jpg.f5ed517420c8c39ce3958301619b4383.jpg

• Like 4

@Aleksandar13 Have you spent any time with the steering damper yet? I’m interested in knowing how you like this. I plan to ride quite a bit of street AND dirt roads that are often very sandy. I’d really like to keep a more street oriented tire but help out the front end from washing out in the sand and i think this might be the best key to do just that. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 12:15 AM, johnnygolucky said:

You wont believe the difference. The stock tires are great street tires. Really good actually. But much of my riding is off-road. And these RallyZ are just awesome. Took about 20-30 minutes to get familiar with how the bike handles on pavement with them. Very different. You can feel them when leaned over a bit. Not bad, just different. I wont be racing twists not hem but I didnt buy them for that. I'd keep the stock street tires on for that. But once you are familiar the tradeoff of perhaps a little less security on tar is overwhelmingly positive when going on dirt. Today I was BLASTING at 40-60 mph down dirt, loose with random holes and washed over half buried rocks and the grip on these is just incredible. Confidence, including breaking. ABS off and I could lock and drift when I needed it to. 

If your focus is street, the stock tires are great. If it's speed on dirt, these are the ticket. 

Tire choice will likely be a very big deal to me. I plan to spend the fall just riding the bike to see where i end up the most on between tarmac and dirt. Then agonize all winter on the the best tires to suit my needs. I just did a 175 mile ride on nearly all dirt/sand and definitely wasn’t overly excited with the front tire. But that’s not going to be a typical ride day for me either. Anyway, should be fun to try out new skins!

I read your ride report above, I'm glad you like the bike as much as you do! You were VERY skeptical of this bike doing the job you need it to do!  And I agree with your skepticism and your report- I too couldn’t believe how big and heavily and tall it seemed (compared to my slew of off-road bikes I've had in the past) but once the wheels start turning all that goes away and the fun begins! 

21 minutes ago, DT675 said:

@Aleksandar13 Have you spent any time with the steering damper yet? I’m interested in knowing how you like this. I plan to ride quite a bit of street AND dirt roads that are often very sandy. I’d really like to keep a more street oriented tire but help out the front end from washing out in the sand and i think this might be the best key to do just that. 

I can't comment how this will improve the off-road capability of the bike as I have never been off road... I've spent another 2h in the saddle today and was riding my home route which is always a bit of a blast.. 😅🏍️💨... For me it is worth it as it made the bike easier to ride on the limit and much smoother on corner entry, hard braking and also high speed.. Very happy with the product although it took me a month or two to part with the money... 🤣😅

Hope this helps. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Tire choice will likely be a very big deal to me. I plan to spend the fall just riding the bike to see where i end up the most on between tarmac and dirt. Then agonize all winter on the the best tires to suit my needs. I just did a 175 mile ride on nearly all dirt/sand and definitely wasn’t overly excited with the front tire. But that’s not going to be a typical ride day for me either. Anyway, should be fun to try out new skins!

I read your ride report above, I'm glad you like the bike as much as you do! You were VERY skeptical of this bike doing the job you need it to do!  And I agree with your skepticism and your report- I too couldn’t believe how big and heavily and tall it seemed (compared to my slew of off-road bikes I've had in the past) but once the wheels start turning all that goes away and the fun begins! 

Agreed. I'm still uneasy about it being so big and heavy. Just moving it around the shop is work and can't imagine what's it's going to be like when it goes down. But once it's moving it does well. Again, I know that I need a big for long distance so I accept the fact that bike will be heavier and bigger than anything I've ever owned and this is about as small and as light as a adventure bike gets. The motor is fantastic. I really love the power band. And I'll be putting on a heavier rear spring as it bottoms pretty quick. Other than that, the tires just made the bike. The stock tires are fantastic on the road. Very planted. But when it's a little wet in dirt they're dangerous and being I live in the PNW, it's wet. Most of the year. These RallyZ just changed the 700 form being a big road bike to a big dirt bike that can still do long pavement. Just like that. And that's what I was hoping for. Strictly dirt/quick pavement spirts? 500EXC. 

I'm now just shy of 2k miles so I did an oil change to full synthetic Mobil 1 and got my tusk pannier set on and installed a top case. Tommorow begins a decent trip to hit the Beartooth highway and maybe some sections of the Idaho bdr. Still a bit up in the air about this ride, which is fun but also annoying because I'm so terrible at planning haha.

It's now a big brother set up to my drz basically.

IMG_20200831_173710.thumb.jpg.ea222797325da7ccacf456af4d9f83a5.jpgIMG_20200831_173659.thumb.jpg.d7f70031546314e8949c7b517e4ba0fa.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 4:31 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

installed ralle moto steering damper and healtech quickshifter... 

hey mate, i was eyeballing the healtech too! how's your experience so far? i'm particularly concerned about downshifts as that seems to be when most quickshifters struggle to work smoothly. is there a need/recommendation for the bike to be in a particular rev range for it to work well?

2 hours ago, ch4kk said:

hey mate, i was eyeballing the healtech too! how's your experience so far? i'm particularly concerned about downshifts as that seems to be when most quickshifters struggle to work smoothly. is there a need/recommendation for the bike to be in a particular rev range for it to work well?

Quickshifter is only for shifting up, downshifting is  done as per usual with the clutch. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 6:57 PM, Great Escape said:

Just remember the bolt that secures the original clutch lever has a metal sleeve/ bush around it..you need to re use this on the after market levers. Its fairly obvious,  but just so you know!! Cheers,  Steve 

I bolted the new one in without it at first. Was very obvious something was wrong 🧐

Today I installed Acerbis X-Factor handguards and ProTaper EVO Adventure Handlebars! 

20200901_123431.jpg

• Like 1

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

On 8/22/2020 at 10:41 PM, helipilotxtz700 said:

Installed the new Arrow Titanium exhaust and road down to Happy Camp California! We found bigfoot!

20200822_125557.jpg

Huh.  How about that.   96 and Greyback Rd.  I ride there often (I'm in Eureka).  You must be in super south Oregon?

Ummm.... this is an awkward question since we're strangers,  but I'm still waiting on my T7.  Do you think there's any chance we could meet and I could throw a leg over yours and *maybe* do 5 pavement miles on it?  I've never sat on one.  I've been trying to meet with the one guy around here who bought one but he's perpetually busy...

Unrelated,  my wife used to work rotor for Cal Ore out of Brookings.

Edited by MeefZah
  • Like 1

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

On 8/16/2020 at 6:27 AM, Seventh Son said:

Thanks for showing these pics.  I bought a set of Cycra Pro Bend CRM mounts last week, but ended up returning them because I could not get the right-side bar clamp mount fitted around the brake reservoir.  Was disappointing, but now I see from your pics that your bar clamp mounts are slightly different than the ones I got.  Below are the ones I bought and returned.  The issue is the clamp that mounts directly to the handlebars does not push the main deflector bar far enough out to clear the brake reservoir. 

What's odd is that someone else several pages back (I think it was Davey) was able to mount the ones that I could not.  Wondering how he did it?  Anyway, I ended up installing an older set of Enduro Engineering guards that I had laying around and just bought new black plastic deflectors to go with them.  But it's good to know that if I want to install the Cycra Pro Bends at some point in the future that your specific model is the one to go with. 

cyc_10_crm_rac_pac_nat_whi.jpg

Ready for serious protection? Grab the Cycra CRM Racer Pack Handguards for your 1 1/8 inch bars and ride knowing your hands and controls will be well taken care of. The CRM Racer Pack is a kit that contains everything you need to mount a set of CRM handguards onto your motorcycle or ATV with...

Sorry to nudge your post from a few weeks ago, but I'm just sort of going through the thread.  Won't help you but might help someone else. 

The CRMs have spacers that push out the bar mount about an inch; they are included in the package.  They are black cylindrical steel, and require a different bolt to mount the bar mount to the handguard.  By using the spacers, the CRMs should fit over the brake master cylinder and hose.  Cycra's instructions don't show this, which is aggravating.  But the parts are there.

Edit, I see in a later post @ch4kk noted this as well.  Sorry.  Carry on...

Edited by MeefZah
  • Like 1

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

1 hour ago, MeefZah said:

Huh.  How about that.   96 and Greyback Rd.  I ride there often (I'm in Eureka).  You must be in super south Oregon?

Ummm.... this is an awkward question since we're strangers,  but I'm still waiting on my T7.  Do you think there's any chance we could meet and I could throw a leg over yours and *maybe* do 5 pavement miles on it?  I've never sat on one.  I've been trying to meet with the one guy around here who bought one but he's perpetually busy...

Unrelated,  my wife used to work rotor for Cal Ore out of Brookings.

Unfortunately with my Schedule planning anything is very tough! I just came home from a fire in Northern Oregon and looks like ill be heading back in a day or so! Other wise yes we could meet up! I'll keep you posted and try and get you on the T7! What do you ride now! I live in Medford Oregon! 

20200829_185543.jpg

• Like 2

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

34 minutes ago, MeefZah said:

Sorry to nudge your post from a few weeks ago, but I'm just sort of going through the thread.  Won't help you but might help someone else. 

The CRMs have spacers that push out the bar mount about an inch; they are included in the package.  They are black cylindrical steel, and require a different bolt to mount the bar mount to the handguard.  By using the spacers, the CRMs should fit over the brake master cylinder and hose.  Cycra's instructions don't show this, which is aggravating.  But the parts are there.

Edit, I see in a later post @ch4kk noted this as well.  Sorry.  Carry on...

Hi there, no problem.  I tried installing the Cycras using the included barrel spacers but still had the brake line directly in the way, but as you noted, it looks like @ch4kk worked it out by repositioning the brake line.  If I decide to change out my handguards I will give the CRM's another shot. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

Unfortunately with my Schedule planning anything is very tough! I just came home from a fire in Northern Oregon and looks like ill be heading back in a day or so! Other wise yes we could meet up! I'll keep you posted and try and get you on the T7! What do you ride now! I live in Medford Oregon! 

20200829_185543.jpg

Thank you!  

I have a 2012 V-Strom 650 that I actually just bought. 

Long story short, I've had a series of ADV bikes over the past decade or so (KLR, DR, V-Stroms, Super Tenere, AT).  Most recent long term one was a 2018 V-Strom 1000 that I bought new and put 28k on.  I sold it (and a 2008 Wr250R) last month to set aside the funds for a new Tenere 700.  Obviously getting a Tenere 700 isn't super easy.  I've got one on order, due in around October-ish, so while I'm waiting I picked up this "beater" (actually quite nice) V-Strom 650 to keep on riding.  I planned on selling it once the Tenere arrived but honestly I kinda like it... I may keep it.

Even though I've ordered and paid the deposit, I still really want to get a fast ride on a T7.  I've bought a few bikes without benefit of a demo ride in the past and really didn't like them much... I don't think the T7 will fall into that category, but it can't hurt to be sure.  I can always cancel the order if that happens.

Maybe if our schedules jive I can buy you lunch at Taylor's in Cave Junction and we can do a meet and greet and super short demo ride?  I am off through the week, mostly; and work 13 hr shifts Fri, Sat, Sun.  

Be safe if you're attached to the FF efforts.  I was a volunteer FF/ part time medic for the past 20 years, actually my certs just lapsed in 2018.  Still in public safety with 24 years and counting (sigh) full time law enforcement. 

Again, thanks for the generosity and trust.

-Mark

PS I was just up in your neck of the woods a few days ago, in the Rogue-Sis NF, checking out the vertical signed portion of NF 4402... that would be a phenomenal T7 route!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by MeefZah
  • Like 2

Just ordered the Genuine Yamaha Headlight protector.  Like that one the best as it seems to be the only one that sorta wraps underneath a little to protect the running lights.

Was gonna ask one of you fine folks across the pond to see if you can get one from your local dealer, but then found it on ebay, with express shipping, so I pulled the trigger.

Man, just about everything is here now.  One piece left in the puzzle of parts I haven't solved quite yet is the tail tidy and turn signals.  Had a good look at the bike in the garage last night and immediately envisioned a few trick solutions.

When I get some free time I'll take it all apart and make it reality.  Still waiting on other parts to arrive anyway.

I'm one of those guys to maximize my labor time.  I hate doing stuff twice, so as long as I'm taking apart the bike, might as well get it all done at once 🙂

At least I managed to finish the rendering!!!

🙂

- Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

Just ordered the Genuine Yamaha Headlight protector.  Like that one the best as it seems to be the only one that sorta wraps underneath a little to protect the running lights.

Was gonna ask one of you fine folks across the pond to see if you can get one from your local dealer, but then found it on ebay, with express shipping, so I pulled the trigger.

Man, just about everything is here now.  One piece left in the puzzle of parts I haven't solved quite yet is the tail tidy and turn signals.  Had a good look at the bike in the garage last night and immediately envisioned a few trick solutions.

When I get some free time I'll take it all apart and make it reality.  Still waiting on other parts to arrive anyway.

I'm one of those guys to maximize my labor time.  I hate doing stuff twice, so as long as I'm taking apart the bike, might as well get it all done at once 🙂

At least I managed to finish the rendering!!!

🙂

- Paul

I've got the genuine Yamaha one and it's quality especially the 1/2 turn quick release 4 bolts. It takes all of 10 to 2o seconds to remove and clean inside the protector and the lens itself. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

I've got the genuine Yamaha one and it's quality especially the 1/2 turn quick release 4 bolts. It takes all of 10 to 2o seconds to remove and clean inside the protector and the lens itself. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Rich

Yes, those quick release bolts are a great feature!  I looked into other guards, but none of them seemed to bend underneath like the Yamaha Accessory one, and for some reason, I like the look of that.  Seems more "finished" than to have it just stop at the bottom.

• Like 2