Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Mosko Moto tank bag mounting:

"Could you post some photos of the attaching points, both on the lower side and on the forks ?

I had issues with positioning as the left-over strap, when bundled up, would interfere with my knees and annoy the living crap out of me.

I'm 6"tall and for me it was really uncomfortable."

TankBag.thumb.jpeg.bd9161c5516ad145165ea3e86cf84883.jpeg

I tried attaching to the frame and did not like the angle or the fact the buckle was rubbing on the tank. I looped the attachment on the bottom of this guard thing (whatever it is called) on both sides and am much happier with the result. The excess strap is only mildly irritating at the moment but as soon as I am sure this arrangement works, I might just cut off the excess!

Edited by wncrider

On 11/11/2020 at 11:43 AM, OU812 said:

He sells to the U.S... might take awhile with the pandemic but he's a solid guy, no worries.

I'm in no hurry. Do you know how to get ahold of him not through Facebook? I googled what I thought might be his bus name but didn't come up with anything. 

8 hours ago, DT675 said:

I'm in no hurry. Do you know how to get ahold of him not through Facebook? I googled what I thought might be his bus name but didn't come up with anything. 

Pm sent with Bosleys info.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, Goldentaco said:

Installed Baja Designs S2Pro on the Rugged Roads fork mount bracket. I love the light output on these.  At 50% with low beam they fill in the field of view well enough to actually corner at night.  The stock High beam is actually pretty good and penetrates well ahead but the overall light output of the stock lights lacks in filling in the ditches and is barely adequate to corner at night safely at normal riding speeds.

But holy Shet are these S2Pros bright at 100%.  With High beam and the S2 Pros at full power its like riding in the daytime.  The entire field of view is lit the F up.  It's great I can corner twisties in pitch black at normal daytime speed.  Only a little detail is missing ie small variations in road surface.  All the hardware and cabling is top notch.  The lights come with a universal wiring harness and a panel mount lighted On/Off switch.  I used their Motorcycle Squadron/S2 Skene dimmer harness with handlebar mounted On/Off switch ( Red pushbutton LH side). It mounts on the left mirror bracket lock screw.

8D837A41-875F-4F7B-8B03-355F4C7EAFEE.jpeg.be6157d09797e86cdb38cb3d0e8d609a.jpeg

Hey Taco, how was the installation of the Baja Designs S2 Pro lights? 

Is it a plug and play install?  Do you happen to have a link to the lights?  Seem like there are several different S2 Pro lights on BD's website.

I'm considering adding some aux lights but I really don't like doing electrical work unless it's simple and straightforward.  I did install front/rear LED turn signals awhile ago and while it took me awhile to do, it wasn't too bad, and they came out great.

5 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

Hey Taco, how was the installation of the Baja Designs S2 Pro lights? 

Is it a plug and play install?  Do you happen to have a link to the lights?  Seem like there are several different S2 Pro lights on BD's website.

I'm considering adding some aux lights but I really don't like doing electrical work unless it's simple and straightforward.  I did install front/rear LED turn signals awhile ago and while it took me awhile to do, it wasn't too bad, and they came out great.

It is Plug and play for the most part.

Rugged Roads mount slots are smaller then the BD S2 mount bolt.  Just have to open them up a bit. 

BD S2Pro have over 2x higher output than the Sports (2450 lumens vs 1130 lumens).  Both versions come in a few different lens configurations (spot both, spot and cornering, cornering both, work scene etc) and white or colored lens.  I ordered the driving combo: as it has a spot and a wide angle "cornering" light.  I set them up ( hard to tell from the pic) with the spot on the inside and the cornering lens on the outside.  No matter how you mount the led housing, you can remove and replace the glass lens and bezel so the output is where you want and writing is right side up.  Just decide what you want your Aux lights to do

One thing to note: if you order the particular light you want in the Pair option, it 's roughly $10 less than ordering two of the lights.  You get a Universal wiring harness designed for a automobile mounting scenario with a panel mounted lighted ON/Off switch.  If you order Two lights only, you only get the lights, no harness and it's more expensive...go figure.

What I ordered:

baja-designs-new-logo.jpg

Baja Designs offers high performance LED lights and light bars for off road trucks, UTVs, and ATVs. Baja Designs is The Scientists of Lighting, contact us today for more info!

baja-designs-new-logo.jpg

Baja Designs offers high performance LED lights and light bars for off road trucks, UTVs, and ATVs. Baja Designs is The Scientists of Lighting, contact us today for more info!

If you are going to go with their prewired Squadron/S2 harness with Skene dimmer follow my post on this thread. Page 4

You can read through the thread but it will confuse the Hell out of you because you don't need to do any of what is described to use the Skene as long as you are cool with 2 light output options...say a Low beam output 50% or whatever and a Highbeam triggered 100%(or whatever level you want) output.  The crib notes version is Don't connect the Skene White wire to the High beam as instructed.  Connect the Skene Yellow wire to the High beam ( OEM headlight connector Yellow) wire  then re-program the Position "A" of the Skene Yellow wire "switch" to 100%.  On Low beam, the Skene Yellow wire will see +12v.  On High Beam, the Skene Yellow wire will see 0.88 v or "Ground".  

648237_8b692ba4b9664668adc629104c7b8a97~

See also the Baja Design's response in this thread for clarification on how they prewired the harness.  Near end of page 2.

adv_og_logo.png

I'll look at my bike when I get home and hopefully can report back with some helpful info

Follow Skene's instructions on programming the controller just know when they say "trigger the High Beam" the assumption is the White wire is receiving +12v.  Make a spare wire, slip it into the supplied BD splice ( but don't snap the enclosure shut it's a pain to get back open) and tap the wire/White wire to the battery + terminal for each time the Skene instructions says to trigger the "High Beam".  

The kit doesn't come with any Positaps.  It has a different wire tap fitting.  The fitting is a little bulky to use on our harness but "would" work.  I like the simplicity of the Positaps better so You may want to order some 16-18 Positaps.  I found a 6pak on Amazon.

Also, the BD Skene dimmer harness is measured up so the Skene controller mounts up under a fairing and the Handlebar switch fits on the Left Mirror lock bolt.  If you want to locate the Skene dimmer under the seat you'll have to hack the harness up or source all the bits separately.  There's plenty of room to mount it on the Right or Left hand side under the tank lobes. 

If you think a phone conversation would help PM me and I can discuss it further.  If you can do the LED blinkers you can do this.  

J

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, Matth said:

Hi buddy

looks awesome. What rear tyre are you running?

Michelin Anakee Wild

16052988687380.jpg

16052989105911.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goldentaco said:

Follow Skene's instructions on programming the controller just know when they say "trigger the High Beam" the assumption is the White wire is receiving +12v.  Make a spare wire, slip it into the supplied BD splice ( but don't snap the enclosure shut it's a pain to get back open) and tap the wire/White wire to the battery + terminal for each time the Skene instructions says to trigger the "High Beam".  

The kit doesn't come with any Positaps.  It has a different wire tap fitting.  The fitting is a little bulky to use on our harness but "would" work.  I like the simplicity of the Positaps better so You may want to order some 16-18 Positaps.  I found a 6pak on Amazon.

Also, the BD Skene dimmer harness is measured up so the Skene controller mounts up under a fairing and the Handlebar switch fits on the Left Mirror lock bolt.  If you want to locate the Skene dimmer under the seat you'll have to hack the harness up or source all the bits separately.  There's plenty of room to mount it on the Right or Left hand side under the tank lobes. 

If you think a phone conversation would help PM me and I can discuss it further.  If you can do the LED blinkers you can do this.  

J

Thank you for the detailed response.  Looks like I have some reading to do.  Thanks for making yourself available.  I will PM you when I have more questions. 

So is there an award for lamest or dumbest modification to a T7? If so, may I enter my bike... Turned old sleeping pad foam into hand wind-breaks. "Have" to make a 4-hour ride tomorrow in sub-freezing temperatures. Don't have grip warmers (yet). I think these will actually work!

20201113_185441.jpg

20201113_185454.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Got my bike lowered by 1 inch, and got a custom front and rear suspension installed and dialed in by Full Factory Offroad in Colorado. 
Man, the bike feels great, and totally dialed in for my weight and riding style! 

F46FA6B4-8AF4-4E24-A4BA-6799785FA8EF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 5:04 PM, Goldentaco said:

Installed Baja Designs S2Pro on the Rugged Roads fork mount bracket. I love the light output on these.  At 50% with low beam they fill in the field of view well enough to actually corner at night.  The stock High beam is actually pretty good and penetrates well ahead but the overall light output of the stock lights lacks in filling in the ditches and is barely adequate to corner at night safely at normal riding speeds.

But holy Shet are these S2Pros bright at 100%.  With High beam and the S2 Pros at full power its like riding in the daytime.  The entire field of view is lit the F up.  It's great I can corner twisties in pitch black at normal daytime speed.  Only a little detail is missing ie small variations in road surface.  All the hardware and cabling is top notch.  The lights come with a universal wiring harness and a panel mount lighted On/Off switch.  I used their Motorcycle Squadron/S2 Skene dimmer harness with handlebar mounted On/Off switch ( Red pushbutton LH side). It mounts on the left mirror bracket lock screw.

8D837A41-875F-4F7B-8B03-355F4C7EAFEE.jpeg.be6157d09797e86cdb38cb3d0e8d609a.jpeg

Removed the stock mirrors which I actually liked and added some Rottweiler Performance Quick flip mounts with the CRC Arrow lenses to my Cycra Probend Ultra CRMs.  These eliminated ALL of the buffeting caused by the stock mirrors.  They are ultra adjustable and the clarity in the lenses is great.  The field of view is smaller than the stock stalks but the elimination of the turbulence far outweighs any issue there.  This position is the Middle position and gives you a similar viewing angle as the OEM mirrors.  I can click them out one more notch and rotate the lens 180 deg and between the two mirrors you can almost see directly behind you!  They're super solid and there's just enough room to mount them so they're out of the way in all three positions.

F6EE4801-BC9E-4C45-B6AE-76E33F6FB53B.jpeg.d4851668ecb5d19f93bbb39a46c96430.jpeg

2A7E5687-D394-4826-8125-BE406EA8B28E.jpeg.55fdacdfa8ed84bfa28883556d339988.jpeg

While were at it, The Cycra Probend Ultra CRM's are great but I had to make an adapter to fit the stock bars.  Thread in the handlebar is M16 1.5 so I bought an M16 bolt Zinc coated from the LHS.  I drilled the center to fit the M10 end bolt supplied with Cycra's expanding nut thing.  Drilled 25mm, tapped it and the handguards just clear the ASV levers.  With the stock bar end weight, they wouldn't clear the ASV levers.  With no weight they clear.  With the hex head bolt as a spacer, the levers just clear. 

J

Do you have any action pics of the lights at night?

2 hours ago, Moto said:

So is there an award for lamest or dumbest modification to a T7?

20201113_185441.jpg

I give up, you win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, JohnfromDP said:

Do you have any action pics of the lights at night?

I don't but I can try to get something this weekend.

J

I bought mine, rode her home and put a few bits and bobs on whilst watching the Masters. The joy of not having a missus is working on the bike in the lounge. Still have bobble head and AS crash bars to lob on. Kinda hoping she gets back out of the patio door with the BBs on; would be a pony start to the day tomorrow to have to take those off before the ride to work. 

20201114_210228.jpg

Edited by rich
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Moto said:

So is there an award for lamest or dumbest modification to a T7? If so, may I enter my bike... Turned old sleeping pad foam into hand wind-breaks. "Have" to make a 4-hour ride tomorrow in sub-freezing temperatures. Don't have grip warmers (yet). I think these will actually work!

20201113_185441.jpg

20201113_185454.jpg

I didn't want to put heated grips on so I just use these  covers, cost about 30 bucks in Australia & Velcro on takes about 1 minute to install.

IMG_3550.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have heated grips but they are not sufficient when you ride at speed since the outside of the hand is cold while the inside is hot ... wind protection goes a long way and I am also thinking about muffs.

I heard that some of the heated gloves have only the outside of hand and fingers covered by the heating element. 

There will not be a lot of riding left up in Canada this year so I guess I will shop during the winter months. 🙂 

44 minutes ago, MGG said:

I have heated grips but they are not sufficient when you ride at speed since the outside of the hand is cold while the inside is hot ... wind protection goes a long way and I am also thinking about muffs.

I heard that some of the heated gloves have only the outside of hand and fingers covered by the heating element. 

There will not be a lot of riding left up in Canada this year so I guess I will shop during the winter months. 🙂 

Heated gloves + heated grips = warm hands BTW.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

A few piccies... what makes me smile is that I'm a mechanical numpty... I have been riding bikes for like 40 years (dirt bikes as a kid, through proper sports bikes and back to KTM 990, Transalps and now T7)... 2 years ago I did my first oil change,  always never trusted myself with anything mechanical.  So when I read some of the posts on here, about 3D printing this, drilling that, proper MacGyver stuff, I'm "wtf? No way man... I have an old Stanley tool box from the 90's, and it once took me 4 holes in brick to realise I had my new drill on reverse "... (if you lean hard enough,  it'll go in)... anyways, thanks to you chaps and YouTube I spent a  lovely evening and morning 'pimping my ride'... there were moments that should have been filmed cause you wouldn't believe how cack handed I am... but I got there in the end. And nothing fell off on the way to work. 

20201114_171030.jpg

20201115_104009.jpg

Edited by rich
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hi Rich, congrats on finding your inner mechanic. 🙂 

It is fun installing all the bits available to us for this awesome ride.

can you tell me where you found that brake extension? Looks like it is just larger not  the stepped up design that I am not a fan of.

18 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

IMG-20201115-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20201115-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20201115-WA0004.jpg

Today, from sunrise I've been riding in very similar conditions on my Dr650 which is equipped with much better off road tires than my T7. It was fun🙂.

• Like 1

Mud always wins in the end.

BlastSept22Blackwater.jpg

THE BLACKWATER 100 SET THE STAGE FOR EXTREME OFF-ROAD RACING- WORLD WIDE.

You clear the creek crossing an the spectators throw empties at you!

You slide into the mud ; Fans throw empties at you.

What could be more fair?

Edited by gone2seed
because

1 hour ago, gone2seed said:

Mud always wins in the end.

BlastSept22Blackwater.jpg

THE BLACKWATER 100 SET THE STAGE FOR EXTREME OFF-ROAD RACING- WORLD WIDE.

You clear the creek crossing an the spectators throw empties at you!

You slide into the mud ; Fans throw empties at you.

What could be more fair?

Truth, even chicks  lose with the mud.😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1