Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

11 hours ago, DWEL700 said:

Hi Rich, congrats on finding your inner mechanic. 🙂 

It is fun installing all the bits available to us for this awesome ride.

can you tell me where you found that brake extension? Looks like it is just larger not  the stepped up design that I am not a fan of.

I believe those are the Touratech footpegs, brake pedal extension and water pump cover.

Just installed mine last week.

20201109_172851.jpg

14 hours ago, CGras said:

Reinstalled the stock rear on the T7 today. Was tired of the spray from the rear wheel on all of my luggage and the angle of the license plate was too steep to be legal as well

So, when are you going to advertise this piece of vanity? 😉 "form over function" that's Harley mentality 🤑

16 hours ago, DWEL700 said:

Hi Rich, congrats on finding your inner mechanic. 🙂 

It is fun installing all the bits available to us for this awesome ride.

can you tell me where you found that brake extension? Looks like it is just larger not  the stepped up design that I am not a fan of.

Hey man, it's Touratech.  Not a huge huge fan of all things Touratech but the pegs and the brake pedal looked simple and solid... and they are the water pump (a 3rd of the price of the sw motech jobby) and brake doof protector also from there.  Installation of all 4 dirt simple... although the pegs were my first add on and I made a 5 course meal of the first one, the 2nd took a tenth of the time.  When I tested the bike,  first thing I thought was "those are far too small and have to be changed "... 

Installed the AXP skid plate. Had to do a modification or two due to a conflict with the OEM center stand and another for the issue a lot of people notice  with the water pump cover hitting your boot or contacting the engine but otherwise, I am happy with it. Being HDPE mods are easy!I replaced the aluminum skid plate on my WR250 with a HDPE one for a reduction in the reflected noise and it worked good.

2126192420_T7skidplate.thumb.jpeg.2be0844afcd5d148ac8215b3a506e7bf.jpeg

Since I am not using this bike as a dirt bike, I don't expect any issues with my mods, especially since I intend to get some engine covers installed soon anyway.

19 minutes ago, wncrider said:

Installed the AXP skid plate. Had to do a modification or two due to a conflict with the OEM center stand and another for the issue a lot of people notice  with the water pump cover hitting your boot or contacting the engine but otherwise, I am happy with it. Being HDPE mods are easy!I replaced the aluminum skid plate on my WR250 with a HDPE one for a reduction in the reflected noise and it worked good.

2126192420_T7skidplate.thumb.jpeg.2be0844afcd5d148ac8215b3a506e7bf.jpeg

Since I am not using this bike as a dirt bike, I don't expect any issues with my mods, especially since I intend to get some engine covers installed soon anyway.

What mod and can you show what you had to do for the OEM center stand? Thanks. 

husky123 - I figured someone would ask that, so I was prepared with pictures!

Keep in mind, I am not using this as a dirt bike but as a travel bike. In the photo below, the rectangular piece protects the side stand switch but needs to be removed to allow the center stand to go up and down. I will probably just let the side stand switch remain, since I know how to bypass it easily on the road if it gets damaged. The curved piece is over the water pump and even the video from AXP seems to imply most folks end up cutting that off due to interference with your boot on the break.

The bigger chunk is when I committed heresy to some of the forum members! 😉 The AXP is one of the minority of aftermarket skid plates offering protection of the rear linkage. But it required removing the center stand to install, a chore I knew how to do (thanks UtahJack!) but did not want to do. Plus, it adds two more hard-to-reach Allen or Socket head screws to remove for oil changes. I opted to make oil changes easier. I whacked off some the linkage protection, leaving a short piece of the angle down to deflect any possible hits, sort of like the Outback Motech skid plate. Which removes the necessity of the extra support and screws. I showed that in the 2nd picture. I am unlikely to need that extra protection and most skid plates don't offer it anyway. 

520090059_Skidplatepieces.thumb.jpeg.c09f7141e5adeaa66360b828b322da3a.jpeg

711852594_skidplatemod.thumb.jpeg.51916ea22ebf7d46faf56f92301690b4.jpeg

I am happy with the result and its nice to be able to modify it with a jig saw! 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor

I cut the lower part of the tanks of this T7, changed the external angle so that it is possible to bend much more in non-sandy soils, tightened the sump guard, rebuilt the fuel pump housing, re-welded all this aluminum and tested.
Ah, on the right side we have also created the housing for the Monza Tech electric water pump which will work together with the mechanical pump.
Enough for today. 😄 

FB_IMG_1605048190039.thumb.jpg.4dad39b1efa4a909c74a517b9165364e.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wncrider said:

Installed the AXP skid plate. Had to do a modification or two due to a conflict with the OEM center stand and another for the issue a lot of people notice  with the water pump cover hitting your boot or contacting the engine but otherwise, I am happy with it.

I have the same skid plate. I added a piece of 3M sticky back foam on the skid plate where it touches the waterpump. Fits nice and provides good protection. I also run one of these on a 500 EXCF, good stuff.

• Like 1

I went off road this weekend with my ADV Rider pals. Another T700 (Felipe) with me, mostly BMW GSA and a KTM 500. One female rider on a GSA 1200.

That is me down at 3:04. I went down 3 times. Last one on hard terrain and that hurt. The other two were on the sand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Firebolter said:

I have the same skid plate. I added a piece of 3M sticky back foam on the skid plate where it touches the waterpump. Fits nice and provides good protection. I also run one of these on a 500 EXCF, good stuff.

I did the same with some sticky back weatherstripping I had laying around. Will do fine until I get the engine covers. 

1 hour ago, REDHORSECA said:

That is me down at 3:04. I went down 3 times. Last one on hard terrain and that hurt. The other two were on the sand.

Good to hear you're ok mate. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gpmucci said:

I cut the lower part of the tanks of this T7, changed the external angle so that it is possible to bend much more in non-sandy soils, tightened the sump guard, rebuilt the fuel pump housing, re-welded all this aluminum and tested.
Ah, on the right side we have also created the housing for the Monza Tech electric water pump which will work together with the mechanical pump.
Enough for today. 😄 

can we..um.. get more pics?? 👀

5 hours ago, gpmucci said:

Enough for today. 😄 

Wow! Did you create those parts in the work stands also? If so, that's incredible skill.

• Supporting Vendor
8 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

can we..um.. get more pics?? 👀

Sure, I will write a story in the "race" section.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
6 hours ago, Marc said:

Wow! Did you create those parts in the work stands also? If so, that's incredible skill.

Sure.It's a racing T7 named Olivia.
It, "she" should race the 2021 Africa Eco Race, but the race is cancelled.

176kg ( real) 32 ltrs. 

IMG_3679.JPG

• Like 2

I received my Rally Raid components yesterday. Took the linkage apart and greased the bolts, then threw the new shock on. Easy enough. Open cartridge is going in probably saturday.

I'm also working on wiring all my GPS and stuff on the bike. I think i can hide my eastern beaver box under one of the side panels, gotta give that a try as under the seat is a crappy place for it. I might start up a thread when i get serious on that project. Right now i am trying to fit my Zumo locking mount and hondo perfect squeeze on the 12mm bar.....

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWEL700 said:

OU812, looks like you are missing a fastener on your left fork cover.

well well... look at that, thanks!

Edited by OU812

Yes I have them on as well but in the top pic it looks to be missing. Hmm strange.

• Thanks 1

installed aluminum handles ‘cause sooner or later, ‘gonna have to pick this pig up.6F30FD5A-D2E1-4A5E-B06D-10D10DD14C4A.thumb.jpeg.4a4d8ba3140691a392fa2d431c56142e.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OU812 said:

Installed my $20 🇨🇦 axle sliders... link   a good fit, cleans up the front nicely!

Just ordered a set from Mad Hornets $23 on AMZ.  I've already torn off the bottom screw on both sides from crashing, good thing I replaced them with nylon bolts to shear off easily without damaging the lower fork legs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gone2seed said:

installed aluminum handles ‘cause sooner or later, ‘gonna have to pick this pig up.6F30FD5A-D2E1-4A5E-B06D-10D10DD14C4A.thumb.jpeg.4a4d8ba3140691a392fa2d431c56142e.jpeg

Where’d you get those handles??