Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

1 hour ago, zaskar said:

Hardcore!  Pretty cool though, to be able to do things like that yourself.

he also posted how to do so. so you can do it your self as well 😛

as for on topic. garage called and said my bike is done.  got some hyperpro suspention. openspring front and there top of line rear unit.

[thy only do the front as i dont have a clue how to do those]

so technical all i did is bring the bike and got to pick it up saturday

cant wait to drive once again.. as most of the salt hopefully will be washed away.

10 hours ago, Stefos said:

The good thing i assume from this, is that the adjustable screen mechanism broke off since it was 3D printed and not fabricated from aluminum. As far as I can see no other damage to the original mounting bracket and screen.  

Yeah, that's right; some smart person out there.

I didn't even notice the screen coming off. I would have fixed it back on but the yool kit didn't have a 4mm Allen key. It does now!

Ordered another screen adjuster from the other supplier £29.99. 

• Like 1

I rode the entire big bend park and surrounding area back in 2005 on DRZ400S with two other friends. Camped at the Rio Grande village. Some good riding in the area.

• Like 1

Installed the Camel Anti-Bobble head....it works! And I think it took more time to watch the video than to do the work. Adjusted the throttle to eliminate slack. Went for a ride now that the snow is gone!

• Like 1

Now the Weather has broken here in Kent UK, 16 Degrees C - Yay !

Yesterday during lockdown, I need cat food, so popped up to the shop 400 Metres away, but somehow managed to get totally lost and after 50 Miles of riding around Est Kent managed to find my way to the shop and home...phew...Hahaha it was great to be out.

Today I need to purchase Milk, I am thinking I may get lost again for a few miles...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Fitted a 2nd hand XT1200 OEM power socket to complement the other one.

I think the accessory plug which I connected this to has a 10amp rating, whereas the T7 power socket is only 2amp .

I upgraded that to 10amp before I had to use my electric pump to inflate the rear wheel after I got my first rear wheel puncture at only 1,000 miles 😞

20210223_233639.jpg

• Like 1

First thing, finished today, was having Cogent Dynamics suspension folks lower my fork springs and rear shock by 1".  They are perfectly capable of doing a full blown suspension upgrade but since I don't do any hard core off road and the stock suspension was working OK for me, they simply installed shorter fork springs and a shorter rear Ohlins spring. Both are slightly stiffer than the stock springs to approximate the performance of the stock, which works fine for me.  Some custom machining was required but it really made a difference in sitting on the bike!

Sure glad there is a CamelADV shorter side stand on my work bench ready to install! The stock one will barely deploy, requiring a little tilting to the right! That will be tomorrow's post.

IMG_2929.thumb.jpeg.ad52740b8619239f71c7fd1fcbb7b952.jpeg

Second item, actually done last week after I removed my forks to deliver them to Cogent, was installation of the side rubber pads from AliExpress. The official Yamaha ones are not even shown on the US site as available and cost about 20% of the ones I found on the European venders site. Look fine to me and should work!

IMG_2924.thumb.jpeg.13ab5f12eaf37737f1f6a4b4e530c552.jpeg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Southcoastbiker said:

Made my own skid plate from fibreglass carbon Kevlar. I used the existing bash plate as a template I had an extension of aluminium to protect the rear shock on the existing aluminium plate. I ground down the rivets and used cardboard and plasticine to get the finished shape.  I then covered the whole lot with wide masking tape, then used wax and my wife’s hairspray as a release. Layed up one layer of biaxial and 2 layers of carbon Kevlar. Next day I released it from the plug and layed up more biaxial and Kevlar on the inside when this was hard I trimmed everything gave the outside a coat of clear epoxy the inside a coat of grey epoxy paint and sprinkled some paint chips. 2 coats of polyurethane to finish.  I had the polyurethane and epoxy paint other than that the cost was less than $100. 

23F2AFB6-A80B-49F3-BF29-544EA140511C.jpeg

A148BE90-F5DF-45CE-BF17-0255712B4114.jpeg

6E69B071-CA2A-46B6-8802-AC8E6D7FBAE0.jpeg

60BEA2BF-BFF3-439C-BF09-43D34853DC93.jpeg

Nicely done!

Who's tool tube are you running, and how did you mount it? I need something like that, but haven't found a tube that I liked. Your's looks like what I need.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

eBay 

they come in 2 sizes the thinner one is inside the rear guard. If you get one the thread is very coarse I attached the cap with shock cord so I don’t lose it 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:56 PM, wncrider said:

Second item, actually done last week after I removed my forks to deliver them to Cogent, was installation of the side rubber pads from AliExpress. The official Yamaha ones are not even shown on the US site as available and cost about 20% of the ones I found on the European venders site. Look fine to me and should work!

IMG_2924.thumb.jpeg.13ab5f12eaf37737f1f6a4b4e530c552.jpeg

I've seen these as well. 

Curious to how they feel? Rubbery and plush to sink into with your knees or hard? Good grip? And as important I'm curious to the quality of the adhesive. 

6 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

I've seen these as well. 

Curious to how they feel? Rubbery and plush to sink into with your knees or hard? Good grip? And as important I'm curious to the quality of the adhesive. 

The adhesive says 3M.

11 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

I've seen these as well. 

It is 3M adhesive. With only one ride on them, hard to judge long term but they didn’t fall off right away anyway! 😄

As to being plush, not really but decent grip and some give to them. I have the official Yamaha tank pad on also (that is available from the dealer in the US for some reason) and they are essentially the same as far as texture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wncrider said:

It is 3M adhesive. With only one ride on them, hard to judge long term but they didn’t fall off right away anyway! 😄

As to being plush, not really but decent grip and some give to them. I have the official Yamaha tank pad on also (that is available from the dealer in the US for some reason) and they are essentially the same as far as texture.

Perfect, that's what I needed to know. I have the Yamaha tank pad as well and was wondering if it's the same feel. Strange that we Yanks can get the tanked but not the side grips. So weird. Thank you! 

Got rid of the wraparound handguards and put some comfortable grips on it. Need to get some miles on it when it warms up a bit, then tires and Camel skid plate.

73EB1C88-5563-4EA8-975E-DF606B862130.jpeg

• Like 1

Put the OEM crash bars on today. They fit nice, and don't get in the way. Easy install. It occurs to me that they will make nice grab bars too for lifting the beast when I tip over. Went with Tusk rear rack and Tusk handguards. Ready for riding weather!

20210227_163717.jpg

• Like 3

Installed an EBay side stand big foot.  And, rode the bike for a few hours👍

77A8D70E-D498-40A3-9A16-BFBB8D1419E8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Moto said:

Put the OEM crash bars on today. They fit nice, and don't get in the way. Easy install. It occurs to me that they will make nice grab bars too for lifting the beast when I tip over. Went with Tusk rear rack and Tusk handguards. Ready for riding weather!

20210227_163717.jpg

What pannier rack do you have on? Will the tusk rear rack go with pretty much anything? 

I have old soft saddle bags that fit. The Tusk I think fits lots of stuff, though I don't really know. It comes with the hard case mounts that you can fit to what you have. Might mean drilling some holes for the lugs, though. I thought the rack was a good value, and it protects the exhaust and rear of the bike.

Pannier rack ,Mocking up wolfman hoops, further forward and tighter to the bike. 

680FA7CC-C801-4AFF-86A5-7F69E3AECA45.jpeg

B938BF53-375E-4323-AEE0-45C8956877F2.jpeg

BF62E20C-C180-45C4-ADEE-B9C2FAD9FE2E.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, Stener said:

Pannier rack ,Mocking up wolfman hoops, further forward and tighter to the bike. 

680FA7CC-C801-4AFF-86A5-7F69E3AECA45.jpeg

B938BF53-375E-4323-AEE0-45C8956877F2.jpeg

BF62E20C-C180-45C4-ADEE-B9C2FAD9FE2E.jpeg

The racks will be moved tighter to the bike yet.