Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Got rid of the snorkel and pre filter. Mob Up Designs air box lid with pre filter installed.

MUD.jpg.ce43c866ec0715269aa44de10e80196b.jpgMUD1.jpg.b1cd35c08162e8d140972e8ab61efb4c.jpg

• Like 3

Did you have to do an ECU reflash for that?

Suppose I didn't "have" to, but I did get an ECU flash. 2WheelDynoworks did it. With all the changes made, the stock ECU program would not have been ideal. 

Uni Foam main filter, Arrow stainless headers, my own high exhaust link pipe and pipe hanger, cheapo ebay/Amazon silencer, Fisch moto spark arrestor. A bit more rowdy for sure. There are other threads on the 2WDW flashes. All I did was list the mods I made and they did their thing. 

image4.jpeg.97a6b8b5c5e7989bae55eedffe89c347.jpeg

• Like 1

Farkling continues...

Today I put on the Rally Raid Soft luggage racks,  Camel ADV Anti Bobble Head, Rally Raid GPS mount. Wired the and mounted the Zumo XT and got the wiring installed for the Denali D4s. 

Next up Outback Motortrek  Engine guard and skid plate....the mount the D4s...

That should do tt for the short term. 

T7 Raily Raid.jpg

T7 Garmin.jpg

• Like 5

New handgrips from the dump from a exercise machine. Pretty big but nice and soft takes a few days to get used to them $1 from tip.
Added some eBay lights down low for better visibility during the day. I have a switch to turn them on and off at night but during the day they stay on at the switch but I’ve installed a cheap switching unit that senses the battery voltage turns them on when the motors running automatically turns them off when I’m stopped.

B90267D2-7933-413A-B4AB-52579A331A13.jpeg

4FE5CE5E-EBB5-480E-9034-A6A3C7EA3F97.jpeg

5D4A1320-1917-40FC-958D-464CE068F4E5.jpeg

EFCA0C50-2622-40F7-BD9D-A31451A71A34.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Dislike 1

When I finally got to do my first real trip with the T7 a couple of weeks ago, it showed the farkles done so far (Bumot soft luggage, lower seat and lowered suspension) were great for my intended use of this bike. It did reveal some needed farkles! 😉

First off, the handlebar reach which had not really bothered me on short rides, killed the back of my shoulders doing 3 consecutive 300+ mile days. So Monday morning I ordered a set of HeliMark bar backs. Put a set on my Super Tenere and they worked well. These feel and look great and have two mounting spots for a Ram mount ball to boot! Might replace my mirror mounted Ram mount for the phone.

IMG_3246.thumb.jpeg.2f49da98db4bbc62a558ba81f08dcb65.jpeg

Second, my arthritic hands really missed the cruise control of the ST, so the Kaoko throttle stabilizer was ordered and installed. Not really a cruise but will do to give my hands a short break when appropriate. 

IMG_3250.thumb.jpeg.2eb2139004b14ef41e67d6b24cbe1bf5.jpeg

No test ride yet but it appears to work as advertised. Took a little custom install since I had the Oxford heated grips with the OEM hand guards, a combination not listed when you order. It turned out to be as simple as trimming about 1mm off the end of the grip and leaving off one of the supplied spacers.

• Like 3

I added Stegz Pegz and a Camel ADV Tank.  It took some major braining to get them all to play nice together.  Mainly the AS side rack needed spacers and bolt switcheroos to line everything up.  In the end, I lost the Pillion Pegs in the process.  Wife and I don't 2-up on the Tenere anyway so it wasn't too big a loss.

I ended up ditching the AS lower mount bracket and attaching the rack directly to the Stegz Peg mount.  Drilled and tapped, I reused the AS captive nut and it all is nice and secure.

1942D2F6-3E53-4843-8717-AC895EEB8AF2.thumb.jpeg.b1cf6f9c56473d662a154e371c4d3f96.jpeg

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 9

A small 150km tour to test out my new cockpit setup.

A 3D printed integrated brace, Smartphone holder, TPMS display and Chain oiler bulb

It looks rather bulky, but puts everything exactly where I want it.

IMG_20210518_204817_3_front.jpg

IMG_20210518_204913_8_rear.jpg

• Like 2

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

new improved anti-shake/reinforced bracket. new design and really strong (battle tested). Fingers crossed it will lass longer that the poor designed Spanish version 🙂

IMG_0985.jpeg

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0992.jpeg

• Like 3

Took my fast red Tenere for its first outing of the year to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. 

E23F469E-734D-4F1A-9EED-FBD4CCB520F1.jpeg

0BC3F4D4-108C-43CB-B9D4-8035B985D533.jpeg

• Like 9

On 5/24/2021 at 7:58 PM, Mezekk said:

new improved anti-shake/reinforced bracket. new design and really strong (battle tested). Fingers crossed it will lass longer that the poor designed Spanish version 🙂

IMG_0985.jpeg

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0992.jpeg

Can you share the STL's?

On 5/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, wncrider said:

When I finally got to do my first real trip with the T7 a couple of weeks ago, it showed the farkles done so far (Bumot soft luggage, lower seat and lowered suspension) were great for my intended use of this bike. It did reveal some needed farkles! 😉

First off, the handlebar reach which had not really bothered me on short rides, killed the back of my shoulders doing 3 consecutive 300+ mile days. So Monday morning I ordered a set of HeliMark bar backs. Put a set on my Super Tenere and they worked well. These feel and look great and have two mounting spots for a Ram mount ball to boot! Might replace my mirror mounted Ram mount for the phone.

IMG_3246.thumb.jpeg.2f49da98db4bbc62a558ba81f08dcb65.jpeg

Second, my arthritic hands really missed the cruise control of the ST, so the Kaoko throttle stabilizer was ordered and installed. Not really a cruise but will do to give my hands a short break when appropriate. 

IMG_3250.thumb.jpeg.2eb2139004b14ef41e67d6b24cbe1bf5.jpeg

No test ride yet but it appears to work as advertised. Took a little custom install since I had the Oxford heated grips with the OEM hand guards, a combination not listed when you order. It turned out to be as simple as trimming about 1mm off the end of the grip and leaving off one of the supplied spacers.

Can you tell me what size Oxford heated grips you got? 1 inch or 7/8ths? 

33 minutes ago, ducaticowboy said:

You need 7/8ths (22mm). I just picked up a set of Oxford Premium Adventure grips which are the correct size for the T7. No cutting/trimming or spacers required to my knowledge.

Edited by TeabagInsurance

On 5/18/2021 at 10:27 PM, Southcoastbiker said:

New handgrips from the dump from a exercise machine. Pretty big but nice and soft takes a few days to get used to them $1 from tip.
Added some eBay lights down low for better visibility during the day. I have a switch to turn them on and off at night but during the day they stay on at the switch but I’ve installed a cheap switching unit that senses the battery voltage turns them on when the motors running automatically turns them off when I’m stopped.

B90267D2-7933-413A-B4AB-52579A331A13.jpeg

4FE5CE5E-EBB5-480E-9034-A6A3C7EA3F97.jpeg

5D4A1320-1917-40FC-958D-464CE068F4E5.jpeg

EFCA0C50-2622-40F7-BD9D-A31451A71A34.jpeg

Good lord those grips are ugly! I do implore you for being happy with what works for you though! I'm sure they're quite comfortable. Are you not concerned with the spongy material absorbing grime and other contaminants over time?

• Like 1

Rode about 50 miles of dirt between Briceburg and Yosemite. Hit many locked gates and downed trees. This was dead end number 6 and mile 20 of backtracking I think. 

Mt Trumbull Peak Lookout. You can just make out El Capitan in Yosemite Valley to the left of my tank bag. 

This was a good test for the Stegz Pegz. They worked great. I thought I’d use them more but it was nice having them there. My Sw Motech centerstand has a bracket that my Right heel can rest on. The Stegz come into play when my weight is a little further back like when climbing or mobbing through sand. Get the Two puck option. One puck I don’t think would work too well. 

32E232F0-7840-4CE7-A6DC-13D7471A68C1.thumb.jpeg.8d4870d5c7f2a948561995fa4d4da007.jpeg
J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 4

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

Rode about 50 miles of dirt between Briceburg and Yosemite. Hit many locked gates and downed trees. This was dead end number 6 and mile 20 of backtracking I think. 

Mt Trumbull Peak Lookout. You can just make out El Capitan in Yosemite Valley to the left of my tank bag. 

This was a good test for the Stegz Pegz. They worked great. I thought I’d use them more but it was nice having them there. My Sw Motech centerstand has a bracket that my Right heel can rest on. The Syegz come into play when my weight is a little further back like when climbing or mobbing through sand. Get the Two puck option. One puck I don’t think would work too well. 

32E232F0-7840-4CE7-A6DC-13D7471A68C1.thumb.jpeg.8d4870d5c7f2a948561995fa4d4da007.jpeg
J

Nice pic of my former backyard,  I used to live about 15 mins from Greeley Hill. A couple weeks before the El Portal fire in 2014, a group of us took the Yosemite-Coulterville dirt road all the way into the park via Foresta.  We did a side trip over to the Mt. Trumbull Lookout,  it was really pretty country then. I assume there is still dead fall and burnt trees everywhere up there? We hadn't been back since to survey the damage, but was sure it wouldn't recover within our lifetimes. 

Thanks for the Stegz pegz report, those are on my short list.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Have to admit they look a bit strange but after using them for a few days I like them they take out most of the vibration, not suitable for someone with small hands but its so comfortable.

Easy to take them off as well.

2 hours ago, TeabagInsurance said:

Good lord those grips are ugly! I do implore you for being happy with what works for you though! I'm sure they're quite comfortable. Are you not concerned with the spongy material absorbing grime and other contaminants over time?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, AZJW said:

Nice pic of my former backyard,  I used to live about 15 mins from Greeley Hill. A couple weeks before the El Portal fire in 2014, a group of us took the Yosemite-Coulterville dirt road all the way into the park via Foresta.  We did a side trip over to the Mt. Trumbull Lookout,  it was really pretty country then. I assume there is still dead fall and burnt trees everywhere up there? We hadn't been back since to survey the damage, but was sure it wouldn't recover within our lifetimes. 

Thanks for the Stegz pegz report, those are on my short list.

Not much burned deadfall. Most of the fallen trees are recent and many with foliage still on. There was a ton of broken branch pieces to be careful of. I was planning to do that same route you mentioned but at least 3 trees on various roads blocked passage. I had never ridden that way before but I had used Briceburg to get over to Coulterville. The whole area was covered in a real fragrant scrub brush like creosote or some Manzanita thing. I took a short nap in it while snacking under a tree. 

We used to get into the park in Wawona via Chowchilla Mtn rd. Dumps you out on a fairway of the golf course. That was my plan for the afternoon but with all the backtracking I lost almost 2 hrs just trying to find a way out. Finally figured out that 02S30 was clear out to Rush. Reek Lodge. 

Riding up Burma Grade within 15 mins I hit the first locked gate.

J

Edited by Goldentaco

Lots has been done but the only noteworthy thing is rekluse clutch a few days ago. 
Only have 100 or so miles on it since but initial impression is it’s not the same as on a small bike. 
For now I’ll say auto clutch on a big bike is a waste unless you ride stuff that a big bike has no place or you’re lazy like me. 

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, ducaticowboy said:

As was stated, 7/8ths. I also had the Adventure grips.

I have been using the Ram Mount X-grip to hold my iPhone on the bike. No issues other than it's a little slow putting on the webbing back up on to secure it and that the phone has to be offset in the grip to prevent it from hitting the volume bottom. Since I use Spotify for music sometimes, that is a pain.

I decided to get a used Kyocrera DuraForce military grade phone on eBay to use with the  OsmAnd  app as a GPS and wanted a different mounting system. So after reading rave reviews for the Quad Lock, I decided to give it a go. Ordered the ball mount version with the vibration dampener. As it turns out, the vibration is only an issue on the iPhone and since I loaded my Spotify account on the DuraForce, there is no need for the iPhone to leave the safety of my pocket or tank bag. 

Have to say, the Quad Lock looks like a nice piece of work and since the volume buttons allow zooming in and out on the GPS app, no interference with the volume buttons is great! 

IMG_3272.thumb.jpeg.97c82d4ef1557aaef7682ee55e36a9b8.jpeg

• Like 1

I started out with the Ram Mount X-grip on 2 of 3 last motorcycle purchases.

I started to see more of my ADV pals switching over to the Quad Lock mounts. I didn't like it at first that I had to use Quad Lock phone cases, but soon got over that issue.

I switched over one of the US X-grip bikes to Quad Lock system.

I'll change over my other X-grip bike overseas, when I can travel back to my home over seas. I don't want to deal with their current mandatory 14 day COVID quarantine upon arrival.

The T7 started off with a Quad Lock standard mount. But, all the off-roading in rough terrain messed up my iPhone's camera stabilization. I later upgraded it to Quad Lock: vibration dampener and the weatherproof wireless charging base mount. So, I hope this setup will prevent damaging my iPhone upgrade later this year when they release the new models.

• Like 1

Used some gutter guard to fashion some additional rad protection.  Zip tied to the inside of the stock rad cover.  About an inch narrower than required so I left the gap at the top where  stones will be less of an issue.

It will do short term until I decide on an aftermarket one or maybe I can find guard slightly wider.

BDFD4F04-C898-42E1-8B97-5F9AE035388D_1_201_a.jpeg

957BC9BE-2CFF-47D5-B45E-A6EEF2220FD7_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 4