Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Just finished installing some RideADV racks & Turkana HippoHips 30L saddle bags.

I will hopefully be getting out to test them in the next few weeks.

Had a little trouble installing the RideADV rack on the left side, the bracket that goes to the passenger foot peg was not aligned correctly & I had to file the holes longer to get the screw in. Otherwise they are solid. 

20210725_144102.jpg

20210725_144113.jpg

20210723_121918.jpg

20210723_121948.jpg

20210725_143954.jpg

20210725_144053.jpg

• Like 3

I installed SW-Motech pegs today in the 15mm lower position. I had to do some work with the dremel on the left side footpeg bracket to be able to lower the shifter a notch, and I lowered the brake pedal as far down as it will go.

Took a ride and it felt ok in street shoes, but I feel like with boots on the brake pedal may still be a little high. Has anyone done anything to get it lower than the bolt adjustment allows? Also the shifter feels short now, will be looking for an extended shifter tip. I rode the bike 69 miles with the stock pegs and the shifter felt fine, maybe just because these pegs are wider it now feels short, or it’s just in my head?

** update, took it for a nice long ride today in my street boots and shifter/brake pedal feel fine. I really don’t use the rear brake much anyways but it never felt awkward. Not a fan of these low / straight bars though, need more sweep, Pro Taper ADV bend coming soon.

3B35AF6D-23DE-467D-B979-791C1C8CD7E8.jpeg

8C2D4301-6BA9-4449-BA23-6FB57EF2354F.jpeg

Edited by Camstyn
  • Like 2

So I lowered the bike via suspension mods rather than the standard 20 mm or 40 mm lowering links. We aimed for at least 1" lower. Of course, that required mods for the center stand and side stand. I had the stock center stand wacked off and rewelded at a local fabrication shop for a reasonable cost but ordered the Camel Adv camel toe 1" shorter side stand. Wonderful piece of work! But apparently a side stand designed for 20mm lowering link doesn't work quite as well with a 1" (at least) lowered suspension. Worked OK on the level but in anything other than level or down to the left, it was difficult to deploy and not leaning enough to be stable. My fault and no criticism of the Camel ADV product. 

Rather than wack that off and reweld, I ordered the T-Rex Racing adjustable side stand. Frankly, I was surprised when it arrived. It is much more substantial than the pictures made it appear. The adjustable piece is solid steel and has threads all the way thru for the bolt, alleviating my concern about movement with a loose bolt. As you can see, I have it shortened all the way. Much better! 

IMG_3365.thumb.jpeg.04cb5142ab4b31cbccd8cd5bca6b007b.jpeg

In the next couple of days, I will post pictures of my most expensive upgrade yet!

• Like 3

I made 4 ROK straps.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Relocated the horn behind the left cover. used the  2 oem metal strips, bended them a little so the horn doesn't touch the cover. more protected for mud and cleaner look . also made a sidekick extenter foot. this one is patented...😀

P1000023.JPG

P1000025.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I have spent a lot of time and $$ to make this bike my own. The latest (and last for a bit) was the most expensive but after 2 tube failures in the last two weeks, I am more than happy to go tubeless with the Bartfactory rims, front and rear. Also put on new tires. Not any gnarly off road tires but more suited to my 80/20 rides. Michelin Anakee Adventures. 

IMG_3366.thumb.jpeg.765da87713cd70545d5780384e454881.jpeg

I love this bike for what I do and plan to keep it a long time!

Edited by wncrider
  • Like 6

Converted my rear OEM wheel to tubeless and put on a fresh Motoz Tractionator Adventure tire.  This thing is a beast.

DIY tubeless-1.jpg

Motoz Tractionator Adenture.jpg

• Like 4

Pretty sure my rear ABS wheel sensor has failed. I took it into the dealer and they are going to replace it under warranty. For whatever reason, while they had it for the day, they elected to adjust the free play in my clutch cable. Normally, I prefer very little free play because I find it easier to feather the clutch using 1-2 fingers with the engagement point being closer to the bars. Very annoyed that they adjusted that, so I spent some time re-setting it. Also moved my stock front fender up to the highest position.

I still need to dial in my (stock) suspension, but I don't want to ride with all of the smoke outside. The air quality index is absolutely atrocious out here. Waking up to a layer of ash on the bike every morning does not lead me to believe it's good for me or the bike.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TeabagInsurance said:

Pretty sure my rear ABS wheel sensor has failed. I took it into the dealer and they are going to replace it under warranty. For whatever reason, while they had it for the day, they elected to adjust the free play in my clutch cable. Normally, I prefer very little free play because I find it easier to feather the clutch using 1-2 fingers with the engagement point being closer to the bars. Very annoyed that they adjusted that, so I spent some time re-setting it. Also moved my stock front fender up to the highest position.

I still need to dial in my (stock) suspension, but I don't want to ride with all of the smoke outside. The air quality index is absolutely atrocious out here. Waking up to a layer of ash on the bike every morning does not lead me to believe it's good for me or the bike.

How did you realize that the ABS wasn't working?  What were the symptoms?

23 minutes ago, Landshark said:

How did you realize that the ABS wasn't working?  What were the symptoms?

I initially realized when the ABS light on the left of the dash came on. After riding with it on for about 25Kms, a check engine light came on too. I checked the code with my OBD2 reader and the engine code read an error for an ABS wheel speed sensor. If I try to disable ABS and turn it back on, nothing happens when holding the button. I tested in dirt to see if ABS on the rear brake was working and it was not. The rear locked up as if I had ABS turned off. I was a bit scared to test and see if front ABS was working as I didn't want to dump the bike in a spectacular fashion, so I brought it in to the dealer at that point. Tried disconnecting both ABS sensors and reconnecting them, as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but no dice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rode 100+ miles on road, dirt, gravel in N.E. TX; it now has 3700. Took the passenger pegs off and a little other minor stuff. Fun riding, but it was a hot one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TeabagInsurance said:

I initially realized when the ABS light on the left of the dash came on. After riding with it on for about 25Kms, a check engine light came on too. I checked the code with my OBD2 reader and the engine code read an error for an ABS wheel speed sensor. If I try to disable ABS and turn it back on, nothing happens when holding the button. I tested in dirt to see if ABS on the rear brake was working and it was not. The rear locked up as if I had ABS turned off. I was a bit scared to test and see if front ABS was working as I didn't want to dump the bike in a spectacular fashion, so I brought it in to the dealer at that point. Tried disconnecting both ABS sensors and reconnecting them, as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but no dice.

Let us know the outcome of this.  Also, what OBD2 reader do you have.  I need to get one.

19 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Let us know the outcome of this.  Also, what OBD2 reader do you have.  I need to get one.

I purchased this unit on amazon ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows for use on my BMW r12ooRT. But it also works on the Tenere 700 with the adapter cable 4 Pin to Obd2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector Motorcycle Scanner Diagnostic Cable fit for Yamaha.

I use a program on my Android Phone called ScanMaster 4.5 from some use it seems to work for error code reading/resting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

I purchased a fairly cheap one off of Amazon, same as the 4 pin OBD2 connector:

OBD2 reader:

4 pin OBD2 adapter:

The OBD2 reader was actually on sale for $35.99 when I bought it a well, plus another $5 for the electronic coupon on the page. Hard to beat $31 CAD honestly. I bought it specifically for this last issue as I figured it would be a good idea to have a reader regardless. I have no issues with it. Pretty straightforward to use, doesn't feel super cheap or anything, and it gets its power through the cable as well - no batteries required.

• Thanks 1

Removed passenger pegs and brackets today, and a bunch of parts arrived that I will be installing tomorrow. CamelADV heavy footpeg spring, CamelADV anti-bobble, BRP chain guide, and Wings slip-on.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:26 AM, Stener said:

Pannier rack ,Mocking up wolfman hoops, further forward and tighter to the bike. 

680FA7CC-C801-4AFF-86A5-7F69E3AECA45.jpeg

B938BF53-375E-4323-AEE0-45C8956877F2.jpeg

BF62E20C-C180-45C4-ADEE-B9C2FAD9FE2E.jpeg

What crash bars do you have? 

Wings exhaust installed. This thing is really beautifully made, and I’ve had a lot

of Big name aftermarket exhausts. Highly recommend, and their customer service was fantastic too. They were very helpful and seemed to really appreciate the business. Stoked to support a company like that.

Installation was very straight forward, and fitment could not be better. The dB killer does have a spark arrestor, and with it installed it sounds very close to stock, just a little more rumble when you give it the beans. With the dB killer removed and the dummy insert installed is sounds amazing, but too loud for my taste, not looking to attract negative attention, I’ll be rocking the dB killer.

Total system weight with the dB killer installed is 2.54kg lighter than stock, or roughly 5.6lbs. Was surprised what a boat anchor that stock can is.

6C7E3508-995E-469A-AA03-0A10EE333F73.jpeg

FC960667-918D-4F0B-832E-21332ED790BB.jpeg

059EC486-82DB-405F-9D69-102769AF5B7E.jpeg

• Like 2

See if the dual screen approach helps with air issues. 

13555288-FC5C-4668-94BD-3D00DAD0DF7F.jpeg

BDBFD476-9772-4092-A746-926A8472A36B.jpeg

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE! 😱 😆  I’m done with this front tire oscillation. I made it better by truing the wheel and balancing. But it’s still there. The tire itself is out of sorts. 

So tonight I pulled the tire in anticipation of the arrival of a Motoz GPS. 

I have to say, while I’m sure the rear tire, when it comes time for its change will punish me for saying this but.. this was the easiest tire I’ve ever removed.

B6DE6A40-48D0-4089-A304-9F873AB78BD3.thumb.jpeg.135f32b36e5d334a1610d8dd3afd98d2.jpeg

22C41CA0-8102-4875-978A-01DAFE0AF818.thumb.jpeg.d7ed23c679b868870505f47901d8e78b.jpeg

Edited by DT675
  • Like 4

I use and am a fan of the Kriega duffles. I use the 30 L for camping rides on the passenger seat and have a 10 L for a rear bag as needed. So far, the bag has been attached by using the subframe loops on my Bumot racks like this:

IMG_3328.thumb.jpeg.e46b78f6240f40cd30f29871c424ce0f.jpeg

But that takes time and ends up with excess strap length that flops around after removal, meaning I have to take them off and reattach them. While searching Revzilla to use a birthday gift card for extra straps to cut to fit, I found some made for the T7 to attach under the rear seat, like this:

IMG_3376.thumb.jpeg.ae9c970ba0aa25c98eda9bbd25f73f2d.jpeg

They actually are shown to attach to the middle set of screws but I got a longer bolt and moved them back so that they fit the 30 L bag better. I can thread the strap around the slots in my rear rack and keep the bag from moving forward. Finshed product looks good enough to just leave on the bike all the time. 

IMG_3375.thumb.jpeg.ad03f3895edca96a86770e6dd6ae648d.jpeg

• Like 2

My T7 - ready for adventure (the long way around).

screen adjuster brackets

big foot plate - side stand

b b bashplate

rear luggage racks

front crash bars

oxford heated grips

bark busters

eastern beaver PC 8 auxiliary fuse box (still in the post)

LED Stedi spots

Full suspension upgrade

frame protectors

water pump protection

new foot pegs - wider

brake peg adaptor

chain guard guide - rear

front screen stiffener rods

off road tyres for off road riding

amp meter

full sticker kit - protection

front light protection

wings exhaust - muffler (looking for high lift kit)

b b rear luggage rack and extension rack

top box

tail tidy

tank, side cover protection - rubber

soft grips 

roto pack 

pannier bag ADV

20210808_121811[1].jpg

20210808_121824[1].jpg

• Like 4

On 8/6/2021 at 10:31 PM, DT675 said:

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE! 😱 😆  I’m done with this front tire oscillation. I made it better by truing the wheel and balancing. But it’s still there. The tire itself is out of sorts. 

So tonight I pulled the tire in anticipation of the arrival of a Motoz GPS. 

I have to say, while I’m sure the rear tire, when it comes time for its change will punish me for saying this but.. this was the easiest tire I’ve ever removed.

I thought I’d follow up on this. Installed the Motoz GPS tonight (finally!) and went for a  70ish mile round trip to my buddies house cause he has my balancer. This tire has made a huge difference! Finally the front end of this bike is smooth! For the 1st time in nearly 3000 miles! Wish I did this soo long ago.

Oh wait, my local dealer said their was nothing wrong with the bike. They didn’t bother putting it on a balancer/ truer, but knew their wasn’t anything wrong with it. Must be all in my head. 

It was kinda getting a little dark so I didn’t even bother balancing it and headed home. I’m going to get the GPS rear and balance them both when I do. Also, it was so smooth I almost don’t even care if it gets balanced.. Along with being smooth, I felt the tire helps the bike turn in a little better too. Traction seemed good on the pavement (I didn’t push it too hard yet being so new).  Felt as good on dirt roads at 30 PSI as the STR at 20 psi. But, I really didn’t put that may miles on it to be much of a judge yet. 

15BCA6C0-4A60-4812-AFF2-DE267D54B0D8.thumb.jpeg.f531516442cd174694afedb5a2de1f9f.jpeg

Edited by DT675
Pic.
  • Like 1