Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

19 hours ago, duggerc said:

Installed the Triple Clamp Moto steering damper kit.  Super easy to install and perfect fit.  Should help avoid a few of those close calls.

D91022F9-CE4B-402B-9CB0-B3040C1CE4E4.jpeg

8D671528-4F4F-4328-BC41-6429B735462D.jpeg

6-7 clicks backed off from full hard and I cruised through sand dunes yesterday fully loaded down. The damper is the best thing I’ve put on my bike so far. 

Edited by One Man Trail
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 3:48 AM, Stabilo_Boss said:

I would like to add that the front motoz tractionator GPS is not allowed/recommended for the 1.85 inch front rim of the T700. If the rim is too narrow it changes the profile of the tire, which in turn affects the properties and the wear pattern. As far as I can tell, none of the front tractionators claim the 1.85 inch rim as permissible.

Thats interesting, thanks. 

I did put it on my T7 and really like it so far. I find the profile great, traction very good for my usage and also find that the bike turns in a little easier/ quicker than the stock Pirelli’s. So good to go for me. I don’t have much time on the rear yet but so far I’m liking the front better than the rear. 

• Like 1

I got a slow front leak due to a little off track excursion on my IDBDR a few weeks ago. I woke up the next morn on day 2 at Trinity Lake to a flat tire. Patched it and no issue until the final mile to the Canadian border a week later, yup the front had gone flat again. I aired it up and it lasted all day to Spokane, but the air had dropped 15 psi. Yup, patch failure. I repatched it and no leak so far 2 weeks later, buuuuuuuuuuuuut I was so worried on the last 325 miles home that it would leak again. So today I fixed that unknowing feeling. I installed a TPMS. The little bracket I made bolts up to the remaining threads of the screw thru the rubber nut that holds the instrument cluster to the cluster bracket. I also put a grommet around the bracket hole that the stud runs thru and installed foam tape between gauge and panel. All 3 of these contacts should prevent any vibes.

20210919_191956.jpg

20210919_192011.jpg

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

4 hours ago, DT675 said:

Thats interesting, thanks. 

I did put it on my T7 and really like it so far. I find the profile great, traction very good for my usage and also find that the bike turns in a little easier/ quicker than the stock Pirelli’s. So good to go for me. I don’t have much time on the rear yet but so far I’m liking the front better than the rear. 

Cool!

Might be useful to report back after a few thousand miles if you notice and odd wear on the front.

Not many lovely late summer evenings left, so get out there and enjoy it while you can. Had a great spin out on our Yamaha T7 fitted with the low wheels, 19"/17",a great little backroad scratching

242120699_5022959671052188_8214465011779811245_n.jpg

Edited by Ktmmitch
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

I got a slow front leak due to a little off track excursion on my IDBDR a few weeks ago. I woke up the next morn on day 2 at Trinity Lake to a flat tire. Patched it and no issue until the final mile to the Canadian border a week later, yup the front had gone flat again. I aired it up and it lasted all day to Spokane, but the air had dropped 15 psi. Yup, patch failure. I repatched it and no leak so far 2 weeks later, buuuuuuuuuuuuut I was so worried on the last 325 miles home that it would leak again. So today I fixed that unknowing feeling. I installed a TPMS. The little bracket I made bolts up to the remaining threads of the screw thru the rubber nut that holds the instrument cluster to the cluster bracket. I also put a grommet around the bracket hole that the stud runs thru and installed foam tape between gauge and panel. All 3 of these contacts should prevent any vibes.

20210919_191956.jpg

20210919_192011.jpg

I just installed that AliExpress TPMS yesterday...figured for $21 delivered how could u go wrong? Don't know how long it will last, but the pressure reading when installed was right on my gauge. I just used the bar clamp it came with and was planning to relocate it, thanks for the idea. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

Cool!

Might be useful to report back after a few thousand miles if you notice and odd wear on the front.

Yeah I sure will.  However with all the front tire/ wheel issues I’ve had with this bike I’m not so sure how accurate it might be. My OEM Pirelli was bad from the get-go with the common wobbly issue. My front wheel was also not true side to side. I fixed that. The front wheel is also slightly out of true up and down, meaning the hub is slightly not centered within the wheel basket. I’ve taken a whack at that one and made it better but it’s not 100%. That’s a tougher one. Basically all the spokes on one half need to be loosened and all the spokes on the other half need to be tightened while trying to keep it true side to side 🤯.  

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

#1) Put on the Yamaha heated grips. I wired them to the accessory (switched) outlet under the left side fairing. I hope that the current use over time is not too high for that circuit. I used them on one Fall test ride, which wasn't too cold, but they worked really well. So far so good. I could only handle the low setting. Medium was too hot. High seems Really hot. I programmed them for the 600CC setting. I think they're going to be plenty hot. I didn't go with the instructions for the wire position on the throttle side, and instead ran the wire up in line with the throttle cables. I have it run into some clear poly tubing, with some slack at the bottom of the ignition switch assembly where the connection is. This works well to keep the wire from bending near the throttle as the throttle moves. I'm hoping it avoids wire fatigue over time, plus it just works and looks better. No loop happens. Had to improvise some little spacers since they're a bit short, like 1 cm, and the Yam official spacer has been OOS/backordered for almost a year. I'm pleased overall, except they don't have good texture. I really like the OEM grips. Great grip texture! I wish these were similarly good, but they're not. I'll see how they do for grip when off-road this weekend. I hope they aren't too slippery.

#2) I like the TUSK luggage rack, but didn't like the side carriers always hanging out there when not being used. On tight trails, they made me nervous that I would hook a tree or branch with them and bite it or lose my balance. That qualifies as bad, as on big bikes balance is everything. I'd hate to crash only because my luggage rack pulled me over... That said, I like the in-line portion of the Tusk rear rack, and I LOVE having a handle back there for lifting and moving the bike around, plus the rear rack for small/everyday loads. I doubt I could pick the bike up without a handle back there. Really, I use the the side rack as a handle all the time. So.... what to do? I hacksawed off the side carriers and improvised a handle on the stubs from copper water line. Having the carriers off saved some nice weight. Wanted to do handles from steel tubing, but couldn't come up with any way to do or buy the bends. Copper soldered together was the back up choice. I could tweak the copper 90 deg. fittings with some leverage as needed, as the actual bends on the rack aren't exactly 90 degrees. I think it turned out pretty good, and I'm getting some steel tubing as sleeves so I can put back on the side carriers when I need them. Working good so far!

original-3d45201c-f4a5-4dde-bcaa-a148de847096.jpeg

20210928_163431.jpg

processed-3af4b08a-e290-459d-b42e-e8027acd16b6_TNAMIecz.jpeg

Edited by Moto
  • Like 2

Installed my Heed rear bars.  Really impressed with these, quality kit.  And while they won't protect the stock exhaust, they *do* protect the stock exhaust hanger, so there's that.  If I do manage to crump the stock exhaust, that'll just be the final deciding factor for getting a Huzar high exhaust kit. 

OEM low seat and links (bought used from a member here) - I am 5'4"

Adjustable side stand

Triple Clamp engine covers

Adv Spec crash bars and rear rack

AXP skid plate

Tail tidy from Amazon

Puig headlight guard

Tenere.jpg

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

Installed the rest of my Techspec kit, Tusk Olympia tank bag and Tusk Excursion rackless kit with the x-small 10L top dry bag. I would have ordered the 20L if it weren’t sold out but I’m actually pleased with the 10L.

7DCB630F-21C6-430D-AB6C-B0448F05C26D.jpeg

77740D2D-6218-444B-96EF-081D0C2F694B.jpeg

• Like 1

Went for a glorious run down TransAlta Rd here outside of Calgary.

20210930_190842_resize_69.thumb.jpg.f356f0569c73efaa854235d6cb7700d6.jpg

Then down some insanely steep, gravelly doubletrack to a dry gravel riverbed.   Deeeeeep gravel, fairly large, with baby head sized surprises.  Managed to yeet the poor girl when I got overconfident (very unwarranted overconfidence, I'm competent on dirt roads, but have no experience with bouldery deep gravel) -

20210930_192824_resize_46.thumb.jpg.c7ad94910716385c2afc9ecb2b270c23.jpg

Of course, a right side drop.  Had to bend the muffler back out - I'm definitely replacing it with a Huzar high mount system.  

Then stopped atop what was formerly an island in the river to rest a bit and have a drink:

20210930_194413_resize_59.thumb.jpg.b62f0b91aba7246b7138e1579fac7ccf.jpg

Then turned around and headed out. 

Sadly, dropped her again (and again, on the right side) on the crazy hill climb out, leading to what is without a doubt the hardest bike lift I've ever done - super steep incline, wheels in the air with the tank etc in a deep rut.  Aaaand pulled the muffler away from the swingarm, again.  Gonna have a good time straightening out my forks tomorrow, was a pretty hard hit down that time (actually bent my crash bars in a bit), and the front end is waaaaay out of alignment now. 

Great ride, all in all.  Some fast fun on the dirt roads, some technical stuff with useful lessons learned. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Frances said:

OEM low seat and links (bought used from a member here) - I am 5'4"

Adjustable side stand

Triple Clamp engine covers

Adv Spec crash bars and rear rack

AXP skid plate

Tail tidy from Amazon

Puig headlight guard

As someone with a similar height situation (5'5" with a 29" inseam), I'm curious as to how well the low seat + links worked out for you. How big is the improvement compared stock and compared to just the lowering links?

8 hours ago, Camstyn said:

Installed the rest of my Techspec kit, Tusk Olympia tank bag and Tusk Excursion rackless kit with the x-small 10L top dry bag. I would have ordered the 20L if it weren’t sold out but I’m actually pleased with the 10L.

7DCB630F-21C6-430D-AB6C-B0448F05C26D.jpeg

77740D2D-6218-444B-96EF-081D0C2F694B.jpeg

Really liking that tusk kit. Is  there a uk importer? Might want the bigger version but not sure. I have Andystrapz side frames. I’m guessing they’re adjustable and would fit over close fitting bag stays. 

8 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

As someone with a similar height situation (5'5" with a 29" inseam), I'm curious as to how well the low seat + links worked out for you. How big is the improvement compared stock and compared to just the lowering links?

I just bought the bike a few weeks ago. I rode the bike without any lowering and I was at the edge of my limits.  I could barely stand the bike upright when it was parked because I could barely touch and get enough leverage to rock the bike upright.  I lucked out and got the OEM lowering links and seat shipped to me from another member for $90.  I installed these and lowered the front forks by 20mm.   It has been a big improvement for me.  I can stand on my tip toes now, where before I had to shift side to side to get my toes down.  For me, it is enough for now.  From what I have read, if I lower the rear any more, I will also need to get shorter springs for the front.  Since I just got the motorcycle, I am going to use it like this for a while and see if this is enough.  If I lower it in the future, I will probably install Soupy's lowering links in the rear and shorter progressive fork spings in the front. 

Edited by Frances
spelling

3 hours ago, Frances said:

I just bough the bike a few weeks ago. I rode the bike without any lowering and I was at the edge of my limits.  I could barely stand the bike upright when it was parked because I could barely touch.  I lucked out and got the OEM lowering links and seat shipped to me from another member for $90.  I installed these and lowered the front forks by 20mm.   It has been a big improvement for me.  I can stand on my tip toes now, where before I had to shift side to side to get my toes down.  For me, it is enough for now.  From what I have read, if I lower the rear any more, I will also need to get shorter springs for the front.  Since I just got the motorcycle, I am going to use it like this for a while and see if this is enough.  If I lower it in the future, I will probably install Soupy's lowering links in the rear and shorter progressive fork spings in the front. 

That's cool to know. Have you ever tried it out with just the lowered seat or just the lowering links? I'm kinda curious if it's possible to still tiptoe with just one of them, ideally just the lowered seat.

@Frances

Don't forget if you lower it anymore than the 20mm links you definitely will need a shorter side stand. You can get by with the stock one with the 20mm links you just have to be careful where you stop.

My wife is around 5'7" and put the 20mm lower links on it and shifted the forks before she picked the bike up at the dealer, added the Seat Concepts lower seat shortly there after, she was happy.

I rode hers for the first time the other day taking it in for service, was surprised at the difference lower seat almost made me feel like I was on a sport bike with lack of leg room, than flat footed and knees bent at a stop. I had forgotten how noisy the stock tires are, I didn't take it in the dirt really didn't want to be reminded how unsettled the front tire was. Definitely will be putting Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires on hers too.  

Congratulations on the new bike. 

46 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@Frances

Don't forget if you lower it anymore than the 20mm links you definitely will need a shorter side stand. You can get by with the stock one with the 20mm links you just have to be careful where you stop.

My wife is around 5'7" and put the 20mm lower links on it and shifted the forks before she picked the bike up at the dealer, added the Seat Concepts lower seat shortly there after, she was happy.

I rode hers for the first time the other day taking it in for service, was surprised at the difference lower seat almost made me feel like I was on a sport bike with lack of leg room, than flat footed and knees bent at a stop. I had forgotten how noisy the stock tires are, I didn't take it in the dirt really didn't want to be reminded how unsettled the front tire was. Definitely will be putting Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires on hers too.  

Congratulations on the new bike. 

I forgot to mention above that I already instaled the T-rex Racing adjustable side stand.  It needs a stiffer spring that I plan to buy from Camel ADV but I love the option to chage the lean angle of the bike.

49 minutes ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

That's cool to know. Have you ever tried it out with just the lowered seat or just the lowering links? I'm kinda curious if it's possible to still tiptoe with just one of them, ideally just the lowered seat.

Either option will lower the standover by about 3/4 inch.  Try the seat first and if it is not enough, take it a step further and add the links.

4 hours ago, Frances said:

Either option will lower the standover by about 3/4 inch.  Try the seat first and if it is not enough, take it a step further and add the links.

I've gone for the opposite.

Links first, then seat if it doesn't work for me.

One or the other will likely work, but want a more padded seat.

Got around to installing the cheap adjustable windscreen bracket that I’d bought off of Amazon today. I didn’t really expect too much of an improvement with this alone. Boy was I wrong. I set the height just slightly above half way up, and what a huge improvement.

I’m 6’5 with a 34” inseam, so pretty long in the torso. With the stock mounted windshield I had to resort to wearing ear plugs, as it was just unbearable at 60+ mph in the seated position. Now I can even ride at highway speed with my visor cracked open a notch, which there was no way I was doing that before! I’ve also ordered a clip on extender which hasn’t arrived yet. It’s supposed to help even further. I don’t even feel like I need it anymore, the bracket made that big of an improvement. I’ll try it anyways when it arrives.

• Like 2

Modified the exhaust, (again)

I removed the modified DB Killer.

20211002_111945.thumb.jpg.5aaf5cadabaf969295a5cb2f283cec5f.jpg

Here you can see the stock DB Killer on the right and the modified one on the left.

I installed a spark arrestor even though technically it does not need one since it has a catalytic converter, but try arguing that with an ambitious Park Ranger.

20211002_111959.thumb.jpg.f60d0d03ccc6b37ffdc6cdb65a4cdeb8.jpg

I picked this one up on Amazon, (Link bellow) and trimmed the flange down so it would slip into the slip-on portion of the muffler, but stop at the first weld wedging between the link pipe and muffler.

20211002_113409.thumb.jpg.0b8a76a8218624cd0600a9ad4ef2b072.jpg  

Sorry not really in focus and rotated, but you can make out spark arrestor down at the entrance of the muffler.

Here is the link to the arrestor. (opps, something went wrong) but I believe you can still click on it. 

I will let you know how it sounds and preforms after testing.

• Like 1

Modified the exhaust (Update)

Very pleased, seem to wake her up. Revs a little quicker picked up some top end and surprisingly does not appear to have adversely effected the bottom end.

Full disclosure: It sounds so bitchin all the performance gain may only be in my mind.

The video doesn't do it justice, but here it is.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 1

Added Oxford heated grips (very nice when riding at 39F this AM) and swapped the 12v for a dual usb. Oil changed at 400 and 1000 mi. I'm all done with the break in now. 

I'm still very impressed with the bike overall. It's amazing how good it is on and off road. The only thing I really don't like is the front Pirelli's performance in loose rocks. I'll definitely be switching that out ASAP.

IMG_2066.thumb.jpg.5a886c5e6bf855a36127caf01db6ac5b.jpg

• Like 1