Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

@sethwaterfall

Went through similar break-in procedure, but I changed mine at 600mi. and 1500mi. At the 600 mi. I used Yamalube Performance All Purpose (petroleum based) and at 1500mi. switched to Yamalube Full Synthetic, I change Filters at all oil changes.

Just curious did you stay with the standard oil or did you switch to Synthetic? I found the synthetic did improve the shifting.

Had the same feelings about the stock tires, switched to Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. very happy with them, front much more planted in the loose stuff.

Edited by UtahJack

@UtahJack

I went with All Purpose as I plan to do another change at 3000mi then I'll go to the recommended schedule. That's good to know that full syn helped shifting, I'll go with that. I also change filters every time. Full set of Bridgestone Battlax on the way now.

• Moderators
On 9/14/2021 at 1:48 AM, Stabilo_Boss said:

Speedindex GPS.png

I would like to add that the front motoz tractionator GPS is not allowed/recommended for the 1.85 inch front rim of the T700. If the rim is too narrow it changes the profile of the tire, which in turn affects the properties and the wear pattern. As far as I can tell, none of the front tractionators claim the 1.85 inch rim as permissible.

A question about the fender. Did you crack the fender with it in the high position? I like the low fender and figured that it would not be optimal for mud, but never thought it might crack.

@Stabilo_Boss Curious as to where you found this MotoZ sizing chart? Is it listed on their website and I somehow missed it? I found this on their website that addresses the 1.85 rim we have on the T7. Granted it covers the tube type Adventure,  but below is a pic of my RallZ front tube type, that also is permissible on our 1.85 rim.

20211003_091212.jpg

20211003_090934.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

33 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Stabilo_Boss Curious as to where you found this MotoZ sizing chart? Is it listed on their website and I somehow missed it? I found this on their website that addresses the 1.85 rim we have on the T7. Granted it covers the tube type Adventure,  but below is a pic of my RallZ front tube type, that also is permissible on our 1.85 rim.

20211003_091212.jpg

20211003_090934.jpg

I got the image from a local reseller's website. Must have been out of date. Thanks for posting this. It has made my choice in tires a lot simpler.

• Like 1

What muffler is that?....Found a previous post of yours about the exhaust---Wings.  Looks good.  Is it Chinese?

Edited by WRXer

• Moderators
On 10/3/2021 at 12:15 PM, AZJW said:

20211003_091212.jpg

20211003_090934.jpg

All the tech specs for each tire type is listed at the bottom of each respective page on their Australia site: 

motoz_logo_big.png

MOTOZ Motorcycle Tyres are designed by dirt bike enthusiasts who love riding off road. MOTOZ specializes in enduro, desert, adventure, hybrid and MX tyres.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

5 hours ago, WRXer said:

What muffler is that?....Found a previous post of yours about the exhaust---Wings.  Looks good.  Is it Chinese?

Yes, Wings, it’s made in Slovenia. I’m very happy with it.

I installed a "chinese" tail tidy and I integrated the flashing lights with the rear optic group.

(cause of the high exhaust from HP Corse - model SP1 short titanium).

It seems Shrek !

shrek.jpg

16334328578743.thumb.jpg.4bd8c3eaddb94eaf8169b2526795b903.jpg16334328578422.thumb.jpg.8e6fc941d8205e96a76ec2b79e42fe98.jpg16334328577941.jpg.7d784bf3fa20112048b84b708d7898f2.jpg16334328577220.thumb.jpg.9167d8532fd7e787edf5780df078c063.jpg

Edited by 365moto.eu
  • Like 3

Installed my OBR Enduro 3/4 grip mitts, getting ready for winter.  Warm hands are happy hands.

20211005_131728.thumb.jpg.acdedfd9f40d413e1717075407080d42.jpg20211005_131719.thumb.jpg.7cc9684d3c9d4b00d1bed6e1ed7fa31b.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 3:37 PM, sethwaterfall said:

They look good.  Are these as bright as the stock units?

On 10/2/2021 at 12:18 AM, Camstyn said:

Got around to installing the cheap adjustable windscreen bracket that I’d bought off of Amazon today. I didn’t really expect too much of an improvement with this alone. Boy was I wrong. I set the height just slightly above half way up, and what a huge improvement.

I’m 6’5 with a 34” inseam, so pretty long in the torso. With the stock mounted windshield I had to resort to wearing ear plugs, as it was just unbearable at 60+ mph in the seated position. Now I can even ride at highway speed with my visor cracked open a notch, which there was no way I was doing that before! I’ve also ordered a clip on extender which hasn’t arrived yet. It’s supposed to help even further. I don’t even feel like I need it anymore, the bracket made that big of an improvement. I’ll try it anyways when it arrives.

I see more than a dozen different options on Amazon from $20 to $60.  Which did you buy and do you like the quality of them?

22 minutes ago, Dan M said:

They look good.  Are these as bright as the stock units?

I see more than a dozen different options on Amazon from $20 to $60.  Which did you buy and do you like the quality of them?

I bought the cheapest one I could find, since it was just for an experiment. Quality seems fine, I don’t feel the need to upgrade it.

• Like 1

Put on a set of Michelin Anakee Wilds. Was able to sell my Scorpions locally. 

Have ridden a little bit on them. Dirt roads I can definitely  tell a big improvement. On road they have that weird knobby feel but I'll get used to it. 

T7 Anakee Front.jpg

T7 Anakee Rear.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Installed my OBR Enduro 3/4 grip mitts, getting ready for winter.  Warm hands are happy hands.

20211005_131728.thumb.jpg.acdedfd9f40d413e1717075407080d42.jpg20211005_131719.thumb.jpg.7cc9684d3c9d4b00d1bed6e1ed7fa31b.jpg

Only in Canada, eh!

4 hours ago, Offcamber said:

Put on a set of Michelin Anakee Wilds. Was able to sell my Scorpions locally. 

Have ridden a little bit on them. Dirt roads I can definitely  tell a big improvement. On road they have that weird knobby feel but I'll get used to it. 

T7 Anakee Front.jpg

T7 Anakee Rear.jpg

Do they wander on the motorway? they obviously won’t handle as well as the str with its large central block, but may wear better being Michelin. my stock tyres are squaring with the road to work. 
Let us know how they wear and how long. 

On 10/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, Camstyn said:

ADV-Spec rear rack and luggage guards

5B8145B7-BFC4-47D3-85E3-18E0DD1925D2.jpeg

8EF553D9-8B44-40FA-8A87-548C5D9987BC.jpeg

I noticed you went with grip pads for the rear body panels then upgraded to the luggage guards.  Were the soft bags not secure enough without the guards?

6 hours ago, Dan M said:

I noticed you went with grip pads for the rear body panels then upgraded to the luggage guards.  Were the soft bags not secure enough without the guards?

I’d bought the grip pads along with the tank pads a while back. I waffled on the rear grip pads and decided to go with the ADV-Spec guards instead, but they were on backorder. I had a trip planned for last weekend so I installed the grip pads, then my trip got postponed for a week, and then the guards showed up, and now I’ve got both. I hadn’t intended to install both, it just worked out that way.

The grip pads definitely would have been fine on their own for rackless sized luggage like what I bought.

• Like 2

Thanks.  I'm looking to do rack less and have been a minimalistic about adding too much extra weight.  So I'll probably just go with grip pads to keep things from moving around too much.

Lots of options on rack less mounts but in-stock options are currently slim. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 10:59 AM, Landshark said:

Only in Canada, eh!

Hah yeah, you know how it is.  I've long used heated gloves and grips, but these are *massively* more effective.  Even at 0C I'm still just wearing summer gloves with heated grips on low, whereas before I'd be busting out the heated gloves as well as the grips on high. Heated gloves are so bulky, though.

I ride all winter, but there's challenges here in Calgary that I didn't have back in Vancouver.  Like absolute *@#$-off cold.  

Also got some studs in for the T7. My Tracer has it's Anlas Wintergrips on already (Really fantastic tires in very low temps and light snow/ice, but just don't cut it in anything more than a light bit of snow), so it'll be my "clear roads" ride, now I've just got to settle on a good set of tires to stud up for snow days.  I missed a whole month of riding last year (stupid February anyways) and damnit, I'm not missing it this year.  

Sadly, choosing tires is extremely difficult, because there's precious little information about offroad tire's grip in cold temps, and when there is anything, it's generally like the Kenda Ice Tire which isn't actually a good tire for ice, it's just a good tire to run big ass ice spikes in.

20211007_213143.thumb.jpg.151db6295d2f3d08d8681243ec7936b2.jpg

They'd work in the stock Scorpions, for sure, but I think I've worn mine down too much already - they need 8mm to screw in to.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 6:12 PM, Camstyn said:

I bought the cheapest one I could find, since it was just for an experiment. Quality seems fine, I don’t feel the need to upgrade it.

Glad to hear this, as I've got a $20 set arriving tomorrow.  Aliexpress, but I imagine they're identical.  I'm just a wee lad in comparison at 6'4", but it seems it'll work just fine.  

I figured at the price I'd at least know if they work in a useful way or not, and if there's a quality problem then at least I know if it's worth getting a better one or not.  Though honestly, it's a simple bracket that's not particularly load bearing, I can't imagine where it'd matter about quality. 

6 hours ago, Dan M said:

Thanks.  I'm looking to do rack less and have been a minimalistic about adding too much extra weight.  So I'll probably just go with grip pads to keep things from moving around too much.

Lots of options on rack less mounts but in-stock options are currently slim. 

keep in mind that if you go with the AS guards you can mount luggage straight to them, no harness kit required.

The grip pads add weight, over 1lb. The harnesses add weight. Combined with the pads you’re probably not saving a lot of weight over the lightweight aluminum guards. The cost difference ends up being minimal, too.

When they are back in stock I will likely upgrade to three Kriega 18L bags and mount them like this, without the OS-Base.

D5C3BFDF-B318-48A6-945A-2BCC16F676FE.jpeg

• Like 2