Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fuel Cap

MDB1

Again, I think they build good parts, I just want to make sure that USA members realize what they are getting into when they order from them. I hope the problems go away and will join in on praising them if the issues do go away. For now I’m watching and warning because once someone sees their parts and order from them and gets long wait times with no explanation or replies , they tend to turn to me for some reason.

• Like 1

Just tried to order one on the website. At $190 including shipping, ain't happening. Wouldn't be so bad, but he's charging VAT even when shipping overseas. That adds 20% to the price.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WRXer said:

Cap ordered in the USA.  Will let you know how it goes.

$190 shipped?

No.  99.95 GBP for the cap & 29.95 GBP for the shipping = $179 USD.  I added a couple small items also.  More than reasonable for a part of that intricacy to make--let alone come up with the design on top of it.

• Like 1

Looks like a clever and well-executed design.  I would like to see the recessed area machined smoother.  It will also will be a big pain if you need to remove your fuel tank cover later, but there's no way around that.

I'd probably order one if the vendor would remove the VAT for overseas shipments.  But he doesn't so I won't.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WRXer said:

No.  99.95 GBP for the cap & 29.95 GBP for the shipping = $179 USD.  I added a couple small items also.  More than reasonable for a part of that intricacy to make--let alone come up with the design on top of it.

Interesting. How did you pay? When PayPal presented my price in dollars, the total was $190.

Still more than I want to pay for a convenience item.

I don't doubt that he has a lot of work designing and machining it, and he does deserve to make a profit, just not worth it to me.  When I look around the garage, I realize the only bike I have with a flip up cap is the old '73 Norton. All my "modern" bikes, the '92 GS and  KLX250, my wife's R80ST, XT225, have removeable gas caps that I have been dealing with for years without an issue. I think I can continue to live with out a flip cap on the Tenere.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Toei said:

Looks like a clever and well-executed design.  I would like to see the recessed area machined smoother.  It will also will be a big pain if you need to remove your fuel tank cover later, but there's no way around that.

I'd probably order one if the vendor would remove the VAT for overseas shipments.  But he doesn't so I won't.  

And the silver one needs a silver pull lever.

14 hours ago, norton73 said:

Interesting. How did you pay? When PayPal presented my price in dollars, the total was $190.

That's Paypal doing what they do best--gouging you.  They are charging you fees for the currency conversion & charging your card in USD.  Select the option for paypal to charge your card in GBP--then you are subject to the conversion fees on your card--which often can be zero (look in your terms for no foreign transaction fees).

The Tenere is the only bike in my garage without a hinged cap---despise non hinged caps.  I'm already messing with gloves, wallet, card, at least one pair of glasses, possibly ear plugs, & helmet then add in setting the cap down on some filthy dusty pump & have the wind blow it (with the key stuck in it mind you) down & roll across the ground.  Surprised someone actually made one so I had to get it.

The stock cap surround seems to be plastic?  All the more reason to replace it.  The thing turns a little bit when fully locked also.  No reason Yamaha should have not just made it recessed--would be better for a tank bag.

I got silver...like the black pull tab for contrast.

Edited by WRXer
  • Like 1

Got the cap.  Everything has been outstanding to date.  Asked a question via the website & got a response right away.  Ordered Tuesday evening USA time, woke up Wednesday & had shipment confirmation with tracking number....cap in hand in USA 5 days later & that includes a weekend.  Domestic shipping is slower.  Everything well packed.  I have done my share of farkling over the years & this is a beautifully intricate piece of kit.  Amazing the machining involved.  Metal art.  Tank plug so you don't loose a screw. Rubber grommet for around the hinge.  Will give an update when I install.  A+ so far, in a whole different league than the usual aftermarket tripe.  Got a side stand switch & frame plugs too.

wd.JPG

ff.JPG

Edited by WRXer
  • Like 5

On 3/10/2021 at 12:57 AM, Toei said:

T7rally refunded me the amount of the VAT today since I was in the USA & said it should be fixed now for all USA orders.  Very pleased.

• Like 4

Lately T7Rally seems to be very active on their Facebook page. Questions get answered quickly. 

I’ve  been hesitant to order anything from them but in the last few months they appear to be doing better Cust svc. wise.  It’ll be nice to see them turn this thing around as they do make some interesting parts. 

I'm looking forward to see what they’ve come up with for extra fuel. 

J

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

Lately T7Rally seems to be very active on their Facebook page. Questions get answered quickly. 

I’ve  been hesitant to order anything from them but in the last few months they appear to be doing better Cust svc. wise.  It’ll be nice to see them turn this thing around as they do make some interesting parts. 

I'm looking forward to see what they’ve come up with for extra fuel. 

J

I have ordered from them a couple of times and had no issues getting what I ordered. You gotta remember, these smaller shops that make specialty stuff don't have the resources and people to be as "communicative" as we all would like. Kinda like Highway Dirt Bikes, he makes great products but is a small shop and can't be on the computer all the time answering emails as timely as we all would like them too.

I ordered one last night from T7. Pretty sure it will come within a week or two. Hell, during the pandemic, and this is the truth, I was getting parts I ordered from the EU faster than from California-unreal, well that and the EU guys use DHL alot more! UPS BLOWS!

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

mine just arrived today, 8 days after i ordered it. EU to Annapolis MD.

Ordered one of these last week, arrived yesterday, did not had to pay any VAT or other duties weirdly (I live in the Netherlands).

Installation was quite simple, only a bit of fiddling to get the seal around the fuel gap in properly. In the how-to video they say the locktite is pre-applied to some screws, in my case it came with a small tube of locktite and I had to apply it myself - no problem.

Must say I am very happy with this solution, although my GF looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I payed 140 euro’s to not have to find a place for the fuel cap each time I fill it up 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I personally hate flip-up caps.  So glad the T7's is like a dirtbike's.  Trying to pull a fuel nozzle spring-loaded CAFE boot up with gloves on is a pain in the ass with a cap in the way.  I'm gonna make a key blank mod so the cap can be removed without having to use the ignition key.

Edited by BADDANDY
cause
  • Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

I ordered some stuff and had DHL emailing me tracking the next day. Supposed to be here next week. 

On 3/25/2021 at 10:43 AM, cstatman said:

just ordered -  hoping for the best

Ordered 3/25 - arrived San Jose, CA 3/29 - installed!

interesting bit of kit,  the youtube instruction video is great

MY ONLY ONLY question --- when the cap is "open" it rests against the front of the tank cover - I am wondering if it will wear the plastic?

if it does?  I'll put a decal there!  🙂

happy to no longer worry about dripping my cap in the dust at a pemex station in the baja peninsula, then have to crawl around the desert looking for it.   🙂

(or at the gas station down the street.)

10 hours ago, cstatman said:

MY ONLY ONLY question --- when the cap is "open" it rests against the front of the tank cover - I am wondering if it will wear the plastic?

if it does?  I'll put a decal there!  🙂

I just checked mine and it has just enough gap where I can see light, so it is close but not touching. Doubt even if it did that it would rub, you are at a stop when it is flipped up, no vibration or lots of movement, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 1:17 PM, BADDANDY said:

I personally hate flip-up caps.  So glad the T7's is like a dirtbike's.  Trying to pull a fuel nozzle spring-loaded CAFE boot up with gloves on is a pain in the ass with a cap in the way.  I'm gonna make a key blank mod so the cap can be removed without having to use the ignition key.

i just want a screw in cap that will not leak!