Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Got a little too excited riding home from the dealership

tydubs@gmail.co

Still not quite sure what I did to cause this, good news is I walked away with nothing more than a sprained ankle, some cracked plastics, and a bruised ego. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

WOW! Bad day for sure. Sorry to hear. Good luck with mending you and the bike.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

53 minutes ago, tydubs@gmail.co said:

Still not quite sure what I did to cause this

That sucked! What the heck happened, It looked like you were doing fine ... then wammo! I watched the video six time... the bike rev'd up like you hit oil or ice, before it got demonic on you. Glad you are OK. It take big balls to share the video with the world. 

Edit:

CSI (Crime Scene Investigation)... Did you slip/fan the clutch in an attempt to lift the front wheel and show off? 

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

really bizarre...riding dead straight, then a tank slapper. From what we can see it looks like maybe you were riding with one hand and hit something with your front tire? 

Glad you're good- could have been much worse if you'd hit a parked car or utility pole.

Wow! I saw a dealer's demo T7 with a Scott steering dampener installed. That would have saved the day I imagine. Glad you're ok. 

As far as crashing goes, you done good. You could have high-sided, which would have been a lot more painful...

Edited by Moto

24 minutes ago, Hammy said:

really bizarre...riding dead straight, then a tank slapper. From what we can see it looks like maybe you were riding with one hand and hit something with your front tire? 

Glad you're good- could have been much worse if you'd hit a parked car or utility pole.

Yeah I think what happened is I was downshifting and rev matching except I didn't downshift or something so I did a little clutch up and landed just off center

Just now, Moto said:

Wow! I saw a dealer's demo T7 with a Scott steering dampener installed. That would have saved the day I imagine. Glad you're ok. 

Probably right! 

21 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Did you get a phone number from the shapely chick?

Haha, all my friends said the same thing when I showed them the video. She's my neighbor and married with kids so I think she's pretty much off limits

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like there was some road repair just where you landed that could deviate the stearing
image.thumb.png.178e2cd3c619cd4e10b7c7e3f8e783d2.png

Well thats one way to do the "Fender eliminator mod" 😛

Joking aside, glad you're okay 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

😄     married with kids is BEST

she doesnt want a relationship,  and after "extracurricular activities"  she will send you home with a sandwich, a fruit roll-up and a juice box!

<joke, its a joke - calm down people>

• Haha 3

Good to hear you are OK. Tank slapping is not fun.  Time to get it fixed and get back onto the horse.

3 minutes ago, kainic said:

Good to hear you are OK. Tank slapping is not fun.  Time to get it fixed and get back onto the horse.

Absolutely. Parts are on their way and it's given me a chance to install some other mods while I'm at it

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are ok! The bike is easy to fix, no worries!

From watching the video 10 times, I think you hit that pothole and because of the impact you accelerated and lost grip from the left hand, because somehow you've pulled the handlebar with your right hand, then the bike started to wobble and lost control. 

I think you were also sitting up a bit, and this made the pull on the acceleration bigger.

I don't really know how you should have avoided this, maybe sitting down and not holding the handlebars tight, but it's good to know how it happen, so it never happens again.

If someone with more experience knows how to avoid this, would be appreciated to leave a comment here. I think we all want to learn from this mistake.

Edited by bctz123

Yeah I was definitely standing up, that didn't help

"When I was a kid" and did something dumb, we would look both ways and try to pick the bike up and get out of there before any of my buddies saw it. These days you post the crash on the internet! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

12 minutes ago, bctz123 said:

Glad to hear you are ok! The bike is easy to fix, no worries!

From watching the video 10 times, I think you hit that pothole and because of the impact you accelerated and lost grip from the left hand, because somehow you've pulled the handlebar with your right hand, then the bike started to wobble and lost control. 

I think you were also sitting up a bit, and this made the pull on the acceleration bigger.

I don't really know how you should have avoided this, maybe sitting down and not holding the handlebars tight, but it's good to know how it happen, so it never happens again.

If someone with more experience knows how to avoid this, would be appreciated to leave a comment here. I think we all want to learn from this mistake.

Naw, that ain't what happened.... He was riding home from the dealer, high on life, with a new bike. He sees the hot neighbor chick out walking her dog and to get her attention he grabs some throttle, fans the clutch, and picks the front up a bit and then waves to her with his left hand. Not used to the power of the powerful new T7, and landing it one handed, he looses it into a tank slapper and lays it down at her feet. To add insult to injury, when he starts to hit on her she tells him she is married with children (Which he successfully edited out)

• Haha 7

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 minutes ago, DORTx2 said:

The hazard lights.

Ohhhhh haha yeah.... Totally meant to do that

• Haha 1

If you go frame by frame (, and . buttons for youtube) starting at about 8 seconds in, here's what it looks like happened:

Front end comes up, whether from a clutch pop or the road or both. Either the front popping up unexpectedly or an unexpected hit of power throws you back far enough that your arms are locked out and you're stuck holding the throttle open with the bars turned as it has ripped your left hand from the grip and you cant regroup fast enough. At the start of the chaos revs look like they're about to round the corner on the tach and they stay elevated throughout.

You see this a lot when new guys jump dirt bikes and land real heavy on the front end.  Front compresses hard, rear finally follows, front unloads throwing them back, arms locked holding throttle WFO, loop, crash.

• Like 6