Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Got a little too excited riding home from the dealership

tydubs@gmail.co

Wow im sooo glad your ok buddy. To me it looks like a small bump in road and the left hand lets go and right hand pulls the bar?

so glad you ok tho

Yeah something like that. And yes, this is why we wear gear 👌

Yikes! Glad you limped away without more serious damage to you or the ‘not so new’ machine. Humbling  first outing that’s for sure. 
     Might be something to be learned about ‘weightless rider’ techniques & keeping the standing body balanced on the pegs & not getting torso in position where we’re dependent on holding onto the bike with arms & hand grip. Like your weight fell too far back & bike pulled out grip?
  The trouble definitely began once that left hand let go & the right pulled the steering over hard while simultaneously winding on some throttle. 

• Like 2

Indeed it takes guts to post this..my hat's off to you.  Glad you're ok.

• Like 1

Scary experience on first ride for sure. Glad you didn’t end up with more serious injuries.

take care. 

AND i forgot to add -- glad ya okay   ...   falling stiunks, no matter what.   but if ya can walk away?  alwasy good.

reminded me of a long time ago in Austin, TX,  
My 196x BSA Starfire 250 was sitting outside the bar on 6th street  (i was NOT drinking, was with friends)

its a slightly misty.rainy evening,  and I leave the bar.  Get on the bike,  starts 2nd kick.   Let it warm a bit,  and into gear to leave.
What do I see across the street but some of those super-cute pretty sororoity girls Austin used to be full of.

I blip the throttle some, feather the clutch, lift the front end, and????
spin the rear tire on the wet street, just enough to get moving quickly as it falls to the left, and we go sliding down 6-th street - wheels up, me on my keester.

the bike slides?  right into?  the passenger door of?...   a police cruiser
they turn on the pinball machine lights, get out of the PARKED car... walk over to me layin on the ground, and ask "well, what was that all about?"

I kinda shrugged, pointed and mumbled something about "pretty girls will get ya all the time"
They laughed and said "they dont seem too impressed,  stand up, lets see if ya been drinking"

When they realized I was sober as a church mouse, it caused even more laughter at my stupidity and the situation.
"IF the guys at the shop can buff the tire marks off the door?  we will let ya go with a verbal - cause thats the stupidest thing we have seen all week"

the APD shop was 2 blocks over, they said they would follow me, holding my license, dont try to run.    

No problem, I drove over to the shop where my pal Steve (also a BSA guy) worked!   He buffed the car door, no problem, little turtle wax and a LOT of laughter with the officers ... and off I went.

Nowadays, I know.   Camera or police and pretty girls?  ya gonna fall down....  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Haha! that's a great story, good to see a fellow TX boy up in here. I should have my bike completely fixed up by next week so I can't wait to get back out there and ride.

Edited by tydubs@gmail.co
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tydubs@gmail.co said:

Haha! that's a great story, good to see a fellow TX boy up in here

raised in TX - been living in silicon valley last 20 years.   they still dont get it.  🙂

the T7 is a GREAT bike -- use this opportunity to leave yours a little scratched.   that way you can say you already got the crash out of the way, its no longer perfect, and you can ride it hard now.

7 minutes ago, cstatman said:

raised in TX - been living in silicon valley last 20 years.   they still dont get it.  🙂

the T7 is a GREAT bike -- use this opportunity to leave yours a little scratched.   that way you can say you already got the crash out of the way, its no longer perfect, and you can ride it hard now.

Good thing I've never been afraid to ride hard or drop my bikes, this isn't my first or last spill, that's for sure. My buddy's told me I should be a stunt double with how good I am at falling now 😅

• Like 1

Managed to get some parts installed. Barkbusters, Oxford heated grips, double take mirrors, camel adv exhaust and anti bobble head, and a new sprocket (oem was damaged). Getting the damage to the tail end of the subframe fixed tonight.

Still waiting on new plastics for the tail end to get here and I'll be fully operational. 

IMG_20210316_202233.jpg

IMG_20210308_181718.jpg

• Like 1

That what does not kill us makes stronger, and walk with a limp!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We chopped off the tail, added sleeves, got lined up and straightened out, welded in place 

Screenshot_20210325-140247.jpg

Screenshot_20210325-144324__01.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tydubs@gmail.co said:

Before

IMG_20210306_201133.jpg

IMG_20210305_104253.jpg

what? you didn't like the new Cadillac tail fin design you created? 😛

seriously tho, that looks mighty mess up...glad you could repair it. 

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Cadillac tail fin

Or an Aerodynamic device commonly referred to as a rear spoiler.

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~