Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Soft luggage options

Mark

2 minutes ago, jdk2man said:

What size bags are those on the front guard? 6l? And can you open the bag without removing it?

Yes 6ltr & yes, roll top. Compression straps cinch tight various loads from near empty to stuffed full.  Extremely durable water resistant outer w’ removable waterproof liner. Not cheaply made (or priced!)

I'm looking for options for soft luggage and nobody has mentioned my main option right now, the Nelson Rigg Dry Sierra (link below). I am thinking about fitting them without side racks, I don't see any difficulty to attach them securely, but I am maybe overoptimistic expecting too much from a heat shield keeping the right side pannier away from the exhaust.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycle-luggage/dry-bags/deluxe-adventure-dry-saddlebags-detail

Edited by danidetapia

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running the Kriega T7 specific base with two OS18 bags. Pretty great overall but been having some fits with their customer service. The base that was shipped to me had a stitching error with the straps that go over the rear mounts. It creates a twist in those straps which has me concerned I may not be able to cinch the base as tight as I should be able to.

I've been waiting 3 months for them to get replacement bases and they finally got them back in stock (so I'm told; I have a hunch they've had them all along since they've been selling them on the site...).

So then the customer service rep tells me I have to pay shipping (from US to UK!!) to get this faulty base back to them before they'll send me a replacement! I contested and they said "okay, well, send us a photo of the faulty base with the straps cut off and we'll send you a new base". Seems wasteful to me so I asked them if I could just get a credit (use the savings to get a seamster to fix this base).

I'll update once its resolved but moral of the story is the products look/function pretty great (aside from this one little error) but customer service has been a nightmare. I would venture the 10 year warranty would be nearly impossible to pursue.

3 hours ago, HoboHighlander said:

I've been running the Kriega T7 specific base with two OS18 bags. Pretty great overall but been having some fits with their customer service. The base that was shipped to me had a stitching error with the straps that go over the rear mounts. It creates a twist in those straps which has me concerned I may not be able to cinch the base as tight as I should be able to.

I've been waiting 3 months for them to get replacement bases and they finally got them back in stock (so I'm told; I have a hunch they've had them all along since they've been selling them on the site...).

So then the customer service rep tells me I have to pay shipping (from US to UK!!) to get this faulty base back to them before they'll send me a replacement! I contested and they said "okay, well, send us a photo of the faulty base with the straps cut off and we'll send you a new base". Seems wasteful to me so I asked them if I could just get a credit (use the savings to get a seamster to fix this base).

I'll update once its resolved but moral of the story is the products look/function pretty great (aside from this one little error) but customer service has been a nightmare. I would venture the 10 year warranty would be nearly impossible to pursue.

I had exactly the same issue with the base. My dealer talked to the German distributor and he mentioned that there is no negative influence for the function or stability. 

For me not acceptable. I contacted Kriega GB an they will replace the base for free but I had to send it in at own costs. New OS-Base should arrive next week. I also ordered the new brackets for the front straps which were mounted at the passenger pegs. This will fix the problem when using a higher seat. 

31693F89-7BAC-4619-AFE2-D61C952A1220.thumb.jpeg.e8f8ee44b4057bf7c0ee93aa9c6cc360.jpeg

Edited by bikeever

That IS  unacceptable @bikeever. I'm surprised you capitulated and sent it in. If I spend $400+ on a company's luggage system, investing money in their solution OVER other ideas, it had better be correct. If it isn't, I shouldn't have to pay (and wait however long to send it to GB and back) to fix it!

The whole scenario is doubly disappointing and frustrating because I waited patiently for them to contact me about a replacement. I should have just had them take the harness back and bought some AS or RR side racks.

@HoboHighlander
Indeed it’s a bit disappointing. But it’s also (for me) not worth to get in conflict with the German seller. He already stated that the twisted straps aren’t an issue which will cause any problems. 

The customer service of Kriega GB is very good. Should be possible to find a good solution for everyone. 

I never noticed if my Kriega was like that and now it doesn't matter as i cut the end of the straps off so that i could undo them completely as it ties around my rack and i either unbolt the rack or chop chop.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, danidetapia said:

I'm looking for options for soft luggage and nobody has mentioned my main option right now, the Nelson Rigg Dry Sierra (link below). I am thinking about fitting them without side racks, I don't see any difficulty to attach them securely, but I am maybe overoptimistic expecting too much from a heat shield keeping the right side pannier away from the exhaust.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycle-luggage/dry-bags/deluxe-adventure-dry-saddlebags-detail

Have you done this yet?  I’m interested in how that turns out. 

Bought two Kriega OS-18 but still waiting on the bike 😄 

Was wondering whether it is possible to mount them on RallyRaid or AdventureSpec racks  "diagonnaly" like on OS-base?

All of the photos I could find show them mounted horizontally.

4 hours ago, DT675 said:

Have you done this yet?  I’m interested in how that turns out. 

Not yet, will post some photos shortly 

Shakedown ride with the Reckless 80 with my camping gear

Tied down to a Black Dog helipad that replaces the passenger seat. No racks.  Also no quality issues with the MoskoMoto stuff

94F3767E-8FFE-47E3-8973-C115FD125291.thumb.jpeg.b6f907b382df4333bf1e515092fbb21c.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Hammerhead said:

T7 specific OS base with 3m film on outer plastics & some reinforcements to the plastics on the back. 
 @Louis pics demonstrate the exact setup you’re talking about on the previous page using the universal base. 
   With the slight extra width the AS racks create you should be able to squeeze an 18 in the middle position.

Only the 12 fits nice in the middle if you go rackless.

What did you find the issue is with trying to fit an OS18 in the middle? Just too wide? I have the T7 base and two 18's but was thinking of getting a third 18 for in the middle. From mocking it up with the two I have on hand it looked as though it would work.

10 hours ago, HoboHighlander said:

What did you find the issue is with trying to fit an OS18 in the middle? Just too wide? I have the T7 base and two 18's but was thinking of getting a third 18 for in the middle. From mocking it up with the two I have on hand it looked as though it would work.

Ya 18 is a bit wide, you could probably cram it in but 12 definitely fits better.

Has anybody tried the Touratech Discovery Soft Luggage yet?  I'm intrigued but can only find links to purchase outside of the States.  Is this available from Touratech US yet?  It's got a ton of capacity.  65 liters in the sidebags alone.  You can also pull out the drybags and fill the shells with ice and beer to bring back to camp.  I mean, that's what really matters right?

1916499549_touratechdiscovery1.jpg.6bfe57ce8dd0da7fb9c3820c15e4e8bf.jpg01_055_1284_0_07_ded7.thumb.jpg.99fe7f00f9459ca4237a20fb91804378.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AB Stoney said:

Has anybody tried the Touratech Discovery Soft Luggage yet?  I'm intrigued but can only find links to purchase outside of the States.  Is this available from Touratech US yet?  It's got a ton of capacity.  65 liters in the sidebags alone.  You can also pull out the drybags and fill the shells with ice and beer to bring back to camp.  I mean, that's what really matters right?

1916499549_touratechdiscovery1.jpg.6bfe57ce8dd0da7fb9c3820c15e4e8bf.jpg01_055_1284_0_07_ded7.thumb.jpg.99fe7f00f9459ca4237a20fb91804378.jpg

Looks pretty good and considerably cheaper than the mosko moto reckless 80. I wonder how much it weighs.

I love the Hemisphere holster setup from AltRider. I removed the metal hooks from the rear strap and simply looped the strap under the tail. Been rocking for 8 days and 2k miles in all sorts of terrain and they simply work. 

1032D9F7-C5AA-4CF9-B7E0-2BB4996A7B43.jpeg

3F490C4D-D0D3-4E8A-A751-5E7F397698F2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:33 PM, AB Stoney said:

Isn't it a rebranded Tusk Highland ?

Edited by didier

13 minutes ago, didier said:

Isn't it a rebranded Tusk Highland ?

At first glance my impression would be no. The tusk looks different with non top exposed dry bags or even non removable integrated bags.

1 minute ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

At first glance my impression would be no. The tusk looks different with non top exposed dry bags or even non removable integrated bags.

True. And no molly attachment on front...

• 1 month later...

Is anyone running Tusk Pilot panniers with the Rally Raid soft luggage racks? If so please post pics if possible. Trying to decide between Nelson Rigg Sierra saddle bags and the Tusk Pilots.

thanks

On 4/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, Liquidape said:

Tied down to a Black Dog helipad that replaces the passenger seat. No racks.  Also no quality issues with the MoskoMoto stuff

94F3767E-8FFE-47E3-8973-C115FD125291.thumb.jpeg.b6f907b382df4333bf1e515092fbb21c.jpeg

Agreed. Did a 7 day trip this spring, first trip with the new Mosko gear and it rocked. This stuff is bomber and fits the bike and my gear perfectly.

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, Liquidape said:

Just got done with an 8 day 2600 mile trip with the Reckless 80 and the gear worked great. Camped every night and there was plenty of room for all my gear, clothes, and supplies. It never moved even over really rough terrain. The beaver tail was great for having extra room to pick up supplies, and even grabbing a few bundles of fire wood after removing the top dry bag and leaving it at camp. 
Really happy with how the entire system worked. 
80533E3F-DE5C-45C7-A4B3-0E94C7296FD0.thumb.jpeg.2bd1274b15286db9ca76fb3ae665d2f5.jpeg

Edited by Liquidape
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 4:33 PM, AB Stoney said:

Wondering if it fits the T7. On the right side it is over the exhaust. Propably requires a good heatshield
Système de rangement Discovery, by Touratech Waterproof

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2021 at 6:59 PM, RideID said:

Is anyone running Tusk Pilot panniers with the Rally Raid soft luggage racks? If so please post pics if possible. Trying to decide between Nelson Rigg Sierra saddle bags and the Tusk Pilots.

thanks

I had a similar question about the Tusk bags but with the AS side racks. 
It's been a while since the last post here so hopefully folks have gotten some mileage / can comment?