Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tube failure

MikeCMP

Got a question, not an expert on tubes, I just got back from a weekend ride no problem, then i took everything off the bike, washed it, was going to take my kiddo for a ride and the rear tire was totally flat. I just took the tube out and it has a small tear here.

Is this normal? is the nut supposed to be on the stem inside the rim like that?

The liquid is the stands no seal sealant which obviously could not seal that.

Will any 18 inch tube work for this? There are tons of slightly different sizes and it made my head hurt looking for one that would work with the bike but on the road too but off road and blah blah.

Mike

image.thumb.png.85dd52b0fdacf2fca59aec2c8a731976.png

That looks like a tire iron pinch.  I suppose it's OK to have the nut on the inside.  I have both on the out side and tighten them together so they stay put but I don't tighten the nuts right down on the rim.  That way if the tire spins on the rim you can see it by observing a leaning stem.  Buy a tube that is on road rated.  Off road tubes are thick and can heat up at high speeds.  

Edited by Landshark
grammar

Def not a tire iron pinch, as i don't use irons, i use a no mar machine, but i see how it looks that way. It's actually on the little rubber bulge holding the stem in, i would guess that the nut held that part of the tube farther from the rim, forcing more flex on that part of the tube. leading to failure. I ran that tube for a few hundred miles, if i damaged it with the iron, I think it would have deflated immediately after inflating the tire. but who knows, i could have knicked it or something which weakened it and it failed later.

I was so aggravated i used my 3m sealing table and "Rage converted" my rim to tubeless. I wrapped the tape over my failed outex layers, and have no leaks finally. No more tubes!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I think you have a point there.  If the nut was on the inside, this may have caused the gouge in the tube.  I didn't realise that the air leak was at that spot so you're right, you would have had a flat sooner in that case.  But all for not, you have tubeless now.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I think you have a point there.  If the nut was on the inside, this may have caused the gouge in the tube.  I didn't realise that the air leak was at that spot so you're right, you would have had a flat sooner in that case.  But all for not, you have tubeless now.  

Yeah I can not for the life of me find the definitive answer to if the nut should be there

Some say yes holds the washer on

other say no

I don't remember how it came from yamaha 🙂

But yeah if it keeps holding air I should be good.