Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Finally Dunlop Trailmax Mission tested!

Xtenerider

On 12/27/2021 at 4:23 AM, Kavika1991 said:

I ride with a friend that has the E07s on his bike. They were going to be my tire to replace the Scorpions. They grip ok on road, but nowhere near the smooth vibration wander free ride of  the Dunlop’s.

Off road, I do better in sand, but he does better in mud. I also do better in gravel at high speeds 50mph and above. I can go faster than him before he, I quote  “I can’t keep up with you, the bike feels way to lose on the gravel at these speeds”.  Worth of note, he could keep up fine when I was using the Scorpions.

I can’t tell the difference between the scorpions or the Dunlop’s on gravel, except for the turns were the Dunlop’s front tire hooks firmly, the rear slides until you lean the bike and the tire bites.

On wet slimy clay over hard pack dirt. The Dunlop’s feel like you are on ice. We were on a ride and we got rained on hard while on this wet over baked clay trail. I even mentioned that he looked to be doing fine and I had almost no traction and he agreed.  However, he suddenly lost the bike and went into a ditch at a water crossing a few moments later.

I never lost the bike because the tires didn’t feel like they had traction but never became unpredictable or completely lost grip, and I was tense and alert the whole time.  

The Dunlop’s are wearing way better than the E07s. After riding rocky trails, the E07s have what appears to be rips and chunks missing  in the lugs. And  his rear is taking on a somewhat strange flattop profile. The Dunlop’s still look the same, worn down but still the same profile and plenty of grip.

Personally I would not use the Dunlop’s if I was riding in muddy terrain with much frequency. It’s a singular POV but hope that helps a bit. I got the Dunlop’s for the mileage, the performance was a welcome surprise, but they are not without flaws. 

SOLD. I will be buying these to replace my scorpions when the time comes! Thanks for the info friend 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, thepointchris said:

@Kavika1991I've had one 60 mile ride so far, stock pressured. Will drop a few lbs tomorrow for a commute, and then ride at your pressures next weekend on a trip. Thank you for the very detailed reply.

Did you notice the Difference? 

19 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

SOLD. I will be buying these to replace my scorpions when the time comes! Thanks for the info friend 🙂

No problem, just helping where I can. And helping people save money is always a good thing. Let us know how you like them and if you find out anything interesting. 

Did a test last week, I let the air out of the rear tire, and I was able to ride on it at slow speeds at 6psi. The front, forget it. Doable with 10 psi until you had to turn. And then all heck broke lose. Just sharing in case someone gets a flat, now you know. 

39 minutes ago, Kavika1991 said:

Did you notice the Difference? 

For sure, yes. Quiet and less rumbly on the Tarmac. Im noticing  different crown profile on the front when turning in as well.the Dropped a few psi yesterday, but the roads are wet here right now, so focused on the conditions more. I'm supposed to hit some gravel just after New Year, looking forward to that. Keep trading thoughts,  thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thepointchris said:

For sure, yes. Quiet and less rumbly on the Tarmac. Im noticing  different crown profile on the front when turning in as well.the Dropped a few psi yesterday, but the roads are wet here right now, so focused on the conditions more. I'm supposed to hit some gravel just after New Year, looking forward to that. Keep trading thoughts,  thanks!

I should add that I was pretty happy with the stock Pirelli Scorpions - I took them off at 5300miles with a little life left in them and no complaints, so anything extra that the Missions bring (except for the sweat getting them on!) will he very welcome

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Dusting off this thread to tally my installation of Dunlop Trailmax Missions. I got 6,600 miles out of the rear OEM Scorpion STR before it was well squared off and down to the wear bars. Overall, I thought that tire behaved well and while the front was good on tarmac, it offered very little cornering grip on dirt roads. Glad to be rid of it.

Getting the stock rear tire off the rim was as much of a chore as has been reported, but doable on my Cycle Hill tire rack. Getting the rear Dunlop on necessitated calling on my next-door neighbor and his extra-long tire irons. Heaven help me if I need to fix a rear flat in the boondocks. Maybe a used tire will give me a little less grief. It's not like I haven't mounted more than a few sets of tires. Technique, smechnique - gimmie a big, honkin' tire iron! I'll be packin' one soon. Too early for a performance report beyond a 20-mile scrub in around town. Very smooth.

I am running a new Trailmax Mission on the back of my Super Ténéré, replacing much-loved Mitas E07. So far so good on street, highway and dirt, expecting no less on the T7.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a spike in the tyre probably 20km from home.  Only felt it when the bike was up to 100km and then it was a strange rhythmic feel.   

Amazingly stable with no air pressure and a honking big spike embedded.  (did not know I had a puncture...)

IMG_2662.jpg

So it turns out it was not a big honking spike, but  rather a roofing nail.  It did however puncture the tube which then twisted itself up with the rim band.  

Edited by roygilbo
clarification
  • Like 3

On 12/29/2021 at 6:58 PM, Kavika1991 said:

Did a test last week, I let the air out of the rear tire, and I was able to ride on it at slow speeds at 6psi. The front, forget it. Doable with 10 psi until you had to turn. And then all heck broke lose. Just sharing in case someone gets a flat, now you know. 

See my response from today and the picture above.  

Edited by roygilbo