Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Upper HANDLE CROWN COMP. (bw32343000)

gwolt

Both bolts got snapped in half after applying turk wrench with only 20N.m as service guide indicated. Any ideas why? 

Tried pull bolt stem but ending out flating the screw housing of the clamp... now I wait for part to arrive approx. 14 work days... 😞

IMG-20210406-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20210407-WA0001.jpeg

• Sad 2

Wow! That’s a bummer!

Are you 100% sure you were using the right scale on your torque wrench? If so your wrench is out of calibration or you were using the wrong bolts (too long). Just looked at my triple clamp and the bolts do not protrude out the back of the clamp like yours are. 20 nm is not much torque, definitely not enough to snap those bolts...

• Thanks 1

I bought a 250$ brand new wrench, used it twice on my rear wheel main nut which is 105 N.m and it worked good, the wrench clicked on spot. But when trying to tighten these upper bolt on the clamp they snapped, no click sound from tourque... and yes they obviously tighten hard so they went all way in where you can see them on the other end quite good... sadly i throw wrench on bottom of tool box now... 

When tightening those bolts alternate back and forth tightening each one a little at a time so that they stay even.

• Thanks 1

try applying 20 nm on your rear axle, and see if you feel the torque wrench go off at 20 nm. My guess is that since you were near the very lower part of the usable range of the torque wrench you might not have felt the click. That or both bolts were damaged...

even if the bolt were too long there is no way a 8mm nolt would snap with only 20 nm ( 17 foot lbs). Max torque for 8 mm bolt,  per machinery handbook is 28.8 nm ( grade 😎8 ) and 48.3 nm for a grade 12.9. 

if the torque wrench is new, return it to get it checked. most important tool in the box.

You dont want to over tighten triple clamp bolt... messes up your suspension !!

hope your wait for the part is not too long, not riding sucks !!!!!

do update this if you find anything, could help others

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gwolt said:

Any ideas why? 

If you had lube/oil on the threads, it would throw the torque values off

• Thanks 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Also, not all wrenches will click at low settings, you will feel it but not hear it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NvNick said:

When tightening those bolts alternate back and forth tightening each one a little at a time so that they stay even.

^This

I had a pleasure snapping the lower on my other bike...got distracted and just keep on turning and PING!

• Sad 1

On 4/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, gwolt said:

I bought a 250$ brand new wrench, used it twice on my rear wheel main nut which is 105 N.m and it worked good, the wrench clicked on spot. But when trying to tighten these upper bolt on the clamp they snapped, no click sound from tourque... and yes they obviously tighten hard so they went all way in where you can see them on the other end quite good... sadly i throw wrench on bottom of tool box now... 

A torque wrench used for 105 N.m is not the the same torque wrench you should be using for 20 N.m. 

20 N.m is not enough torque for you to feel a click in a torque wrench that works well  at 105 N.m.  Better off just doing it with a small handle wrench by feel or using a torque wrench with a lower torque range. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Liquidape said:

A torque wrench used for 105 N.m is not the the same torque wrench you should be using for 20 N.m. 

20 N.m is not enough torque for you to feel a click in a torque wrench that works well  at 105 N.m.  Better off just doing it with a small handle wrench by feel or using a torque wrench with a lower torque range. 

Interesting, the wrench I bought has from 10 - 110. You're suggesting I better use a smaller torque tool for less then...what how much torque is too low for a standard looking wrench with 10 - 110 N.m options on it. 

4 hours ago, gwolt said:

Interesting, the wrench I bought has from 10 - 110. You're suggesting I better use a smaller torque tool for less then...what how much torque is too low for a standard looking wrench with 10 - 110 N.m options on it. 

I have 4 torque wrenches 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” and 3/4”. 
You normally want to stay away from being on the extreme end of adjustment. 
I’m guessing the broken bolts had nothing to do with the torque wrench and were the result of operator error. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gwolt said:

I would not use the lower and upper 10-15%  of the specified torque range on a bar or clicker torque wrench,  Maybe less of a concern on an electronic torque wrench that was calibrated at the lower and upper range.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, bike is in the shop been assembled with upper crown comp. After a loooooong wait the part finally arrived. 

Like some said here, do not use a large torque wrench with lower N.m, meaning if you need 20N.m just use a smaller wrench that has 10-50N.m and not from 10-110N.m   

20210428_090533.jpg

• Like 2