Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Your reaction to people driving and on the phone? (Discussion about riding smart and safe)

bctz123

I am curious to start a discussion on the topic on how you react when you see someone driving for a few minutes straight constantly texting with both hands on the phone and not paying attention at all to anyone around them, especially us, on motorbikes.

My first instinct is to say something, try to educate them, but then I realise that I will just waste my time and I just go.

My philosophy while riding is to have a calm and relaxed ride, without trying to get upset at anyone and trying my best to avoid idiots.

I am curious how you react when you see this kind of things happening, and what is your view on riding safely and avoiding idiots on their phones.

Thanks!

Edited by bctz123
10 minutes ago, bctz123 said:

I am curious to start a discussion on the topic on how you react when you see someone driving for a few minutes straight constantly texting with both hands on the phone and not paying attention at all to anyone around them, especially us, on motorbikes.

My first instinct is to say something, try to educate them, but then I realise that I will just waste my time and I just go.

My philosophy while riding is to have a calm and relaxed ride, without trying to get upset at anyone and trying my best to avoid idiots.

I am curious how you react when you see this kind of things happening, and what is your view on riding safely and avoiding idiots on their phones.

Thanks!

Best NOT to engage cagers- at least from all the YouTube videos I've seen. You won't fix them.

ATGATT is your friend. Check out a Helite Turtle 2 vest.

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I concur,  do not engage the moron, they're already distracted enough and might " drift" into you, unintentionally or otherwise. I have a dedicated dashcam on my T7 and have told the wife, that's the priority item to recover if I get punted into oblivion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

59 minutes ago, AZJW said:

I concur,  do not engage the moron, they're already distracted enough and might " drift" into you, unintentionally or otherwise. I have a dedicated dashcam on my T7 and have told the wife, that's the priority item to recover if I get punted into oblivion.  

If you don't mind, what dedicated dash cam do you use, I sometimes don't always mount my GoPro.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

If you don't mind, what dedicated dash cam do you use, I sometimes don't always mount my GoPro.

You bet. Using a Lightdow LD6000 camera on a Motopumps mount. Plugged into the oem accessory port with a USB cable adapter and run the camera in car mode. Fires up and shuts off with the key, set and forget. Cheap enough of a setup to just leave on the bike, but I carry a zip lock for inclement weather or deep creek crossings. 

20200727_125308.jpg

20200727_125332.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I find that awareness and bike typical acceleration are key.  I hate riding beside anyone, I will accelerate to get ahead of them no matter if they are on the phone or not. 

Tight traffic is definitely a tougher job, that's when I keep an eye on rear enders.  I try to align myself so I can advance up between the rows of vehicles to escape the soccer mom texting.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If I happen to run across a police car, I stop by and tell them. I don't try to educate people or fix stupid, I try to make them pay whenever possible - much more satisfying.