Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Your reaction to people driving and on the phone? (Discussion about riding smart and safe)


bctz123

Recommended Posts

bctz123

I am curious to start a discussion on the topic on how you react when you see someone driving for a few minutes straight constantly texting with both hands on the phone and not paying attention at all to anyone around them, especially us, on motorbikes.

 

My first instinct is to say something, try to educate them, but then I realise that I will just waste my time and I just go.

My philosophy while riding is to have a calm and relaxed ride, without trying to get upset at anyone and trying my best to avoid idiots.

I am curious how you react when you see this kind of things happening, and what is your view on riding safely and avoiding idiots on their phones.

Thanks!

Edited by bctz123
Link to post
ADVUSA
10 minutes ago, bctz123 said:

I am curious to start a discussion on the topic on how you react when you see someone driving for a few minutes straight constantly texting with both hands on the phone and not paying attention at all to anyone around them, especially us, on motorbikes.

 

My first instinct is to say something, try to educate them, but then I realise that I will just waste my time and I just go.

My philosophy while riding is to have a calm and relaxed ride, without trying to get upset at anyone and trying my best to avoid idiots.

I am curious how you react when you see this kind of things happening, and what is your view on riding safely and avoiding idiots on their phones.

Thanks!

Best NOT to engage cagers- at least from all the YouTube videos I've seen. You won't fix them.

ATGATT is your friend. Check out a Helite Turtle 2 vest.

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Moderators
AZJW

I concur,  do not engage the moron, they're already distracted enough and might " drift" into you, unintentionally or otherwise. I have a dedicated dashcam on my T7 and have told the wife, that's the priority item to recover if I get punted into oblivion.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

Link to post
ADVUSA
59 minutes ago, AZJW said:

I concur,  do not engage the moron, they're already distracted enough and might " drift" into you, unintentionally or otherwise. I have a dedicated dashcam on my T7 and have told the wife, that's the priority item to recover if I get punted into oblivion.  

If you don't mind, what dedicated dash cam do you use, I sometimes don't always mount my GoPro.

Link to post
  • Moderators
AZJW
17 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

If you don't mind, what dedicated dash cam do you use, I sometimes don't always mount my GoPro.

You bet. Using a Lightdow LD6000 camera on a Motopumps mount. Plugged into the oem accessory port with a USB cable adapter and run the camera in car mode. Fires up and shuts off with the key, set and forget. Cheap enough of a setup to just leave on the bike, but I carry a zip lock for inclement weather or deep creek crossings. 

 

 

20200727_125308.jpg

 

 

20200727_125332.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

Link to post
bctz123

Great idea with the dash cam. Found this smaller one from Garmin. 

cf-lg-4cd9f690-860a-4006-9dfb-9417ace04c

Garmin Dash Cam™ Mini is a car key-sized dash cam with 1080p resolution, 140-degree field of view and built-in Wi-Fi® connectivity.

 

Link to post
Colddog

I find that awareness and bike typical acceleration are key.  I hate riding beside anyone, I will accelerate to get ahead of them no matter if they are on the phone or not. 

Tight traffic is definitely a tougher job, that's when I keep an eye on rear enders.  I try to align myself so I can advance up between the rows of vehicles to escape the soccer mom texting.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
NvNick

I roll down my window and throw my beer at them

  • Haha 2
Link to post
gone2seed

No cure for stupid. Just get away from them.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.