Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Side protection pads

al700

• Supporting Vendor
5 minutes ago, rhicks said:

How difficult is it to get them off since they are pretty stuck on as it is?  Is it just a slowly peel away process?   I had already put mine on and was so excited to get them on without messing something up I didn't realize any drain or bolt issues until they were already installed.

I spent way too much time trying to make sure the tank pad was lined up than I should have.  The side panels took me a while but that's my own OCD fault. 

Yes, just peel away.  Usually a hair dryer to apply some heat make the glue softer easier.

You may want to leave them on until the replacement panels arrive.  I know they changed the pattern on some of the panels, but I DON'T know if they made the holes bigger.  I'm still awaiting words on that.

- Paul

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

Ok everyone, here's the official word from TechSpec...

The part they modified/updated is the Left, Rear Panel, to make it fit much better.  They will start sending replacements to everyone this Friday.

As for the holes being bigger, here's what they had to say:

They liked the bigger holes also, but that pattern is more complex and drastically slows down their process with chamfering that inside radius, which would mean higher cost, and they are still not keen on the little tabs and the leg on the lower panel because it's more vulnerable to lifting.

Their idea is that the more surface area they can cover with the grip material the better.

They also said if anyone wants a refund they would take care of you.  Based on their customer service alone, and the way they handled the situation, I know I'll be keeping them on my bike 🙂

- Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor

Just wanted to let everyone know, TechSpec has started to ship the modified/updated Left Rear Panel, to everyone to make it fit much better.

When you receive it, please give me feedback as to how it fits compared to the original.

TechSpec cares about your feedback, and actually took them off their website until they receive feedback on the new panel.

They want to ensure customer satisfaction before they make them available again.

Now THAT's service!!!

Thank you TechSpec!!!

Well I will go on the record I washed my bike for the first time since having them on it and I really had no issues with water collecting in the under sized holes and my bike was filthy after a muddy ride. I did stick a napkin in each hole to see how much water if any was being trapped and it wasn't much. Not enough to loosen the glue. FWIW the glue sticks pretty good on these things you'll have to work to pull one off. I hadn't paid much attention to the left rear panel until you brought it up. But yea it is off quite a bit but I lined mine up based on the key hole for the seat not the bottom bolt cut out. Done by the method I used does make the cutout at the bottom way off.

Oh well I'll swap that one out and get back with you on it.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 8/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, UtahJack said:

I was thinking it was so easy to trim, it would be nice is Tech Spec sold just squares, triangles, and circles that you could trim to suit.

They do sell their SS pattern in cut-to-fit sheets, FYI

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BellissiMoto said:

Just wanted to let everyone know, TechSpec has started to ship the modified/updated Left Rear Panel, to everyone to make it fit much better.

When you receive it, please give me feedback as to how it fits compared to the original.

TechSpec cares about your feedback, and actually took them off their website until they receive feedback on the new panel.

They want to ensure customer satisfaction before they make them available again.

Now THAT's service!!!

Thank you TechSpec!!!

Thanks for contacting them. Hopefully they line up much better this time. It sounds like they're keeping the holes too small to save time, so for me I'll just cut out the bolt holes larger like what Yamaha and UtahJack did with theirs. I just had to take those panels off the last 2 days to do a high fender mod and making it easier to access the bolt, as well and not getting degree and moist behind it would be best. It's a shame they're not doing that too, but easy enough to change. Looking forward to getting them and modifying them to make them work. 

Thanks again BelliM for doing the leg work and Techspec to make it right. Very impressed with your business ethics and attention to detail. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

• Supporting Vendor
7 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Thanks for contacting them. Hopefully they line up much better this time. It sounds like they're keeping the holes too small to save time, so for me I'll just cut out the bolt holes larger like what Yamaha and UtahJack did with theirs. I just had to take those panels off the last 2 days to do a high fender mod and making it easier to access the bolt, as well and not getting degree and moist behind it would be best. It's a shame they're not doing that too, but easy enough to change. Looking forward to getting them and modifying them to make them work. 

Thanks again BelliM for doing the leg work to make it right. Very impressed with your business ethics and attention to detail. 

Thank you for the kind words.  It's because I'm an enthusiast first, employee second 🙂

As for the holes being bigger, here's what they had to say:

They liked the bigger holes also, but that pattern is more complex and drastically slows down their process with chamfering that inside radius, which would mean higher cost, and they are still not keen on the little tabs and the leg on the lower panel because it's more vulnerable to lifting.

Their idea is that the more surface area they can cover with the grip material the better.

But again, easy enough to mod them to make the holes bigger if so desired.

Heck, before these came out, I was about to buy their cut-to-fit sheets and make my own pattern (like I've done for all of my custom bikes), so even if I have to modify them to my liking, they saved me a whole bunch of time, and the price is definitely right 🙂

• Like 1