Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis bigger tank 23lt

365moto.eu

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

Probably a stoopid question, but: does the fuel gauge become redundant if you fit an aftermarket tank?

I’m going to guess no based upon my experience with other bikes and aftermarket tanks. 
I was hoping they’d offer it in translucent for that reason. 

• Like 1

The fuel level is measured by the pump unit as far as I'm informed, meaning as long as the OEM pump unit is transferred to the new tank - which seems to be the case with the Acerbis tank - you can still use the fuel gauge.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, qInvention said:

The fuel level is measured by the pump unit as far as I'm informed, meaning as long as the OEM pump unit is transferred to the new tank - which seems to be the case with the Acerbis tank - you can still use the fuel gauge.

No doubt it will work but it won’t be accurate more than likely. 

9 minutes ago, mpatch said:

No doubt it will work but it won’t be accurate more than likely. 

Less accurate than with the stock tank?  So the first bar will still be 60% of the acerbis vs 50% of the stock tank capacity.  😉

FWIW I am planning to get the Acerbis tank. It looks great and I have been pleased with acerbis tanks on other bikes.

Edited by transalper
  • Haha 2

Do they ever come with petcocks etc? Mines due in a few weeks and I’d rather have two complete tanks for quicker swap as and when I feel the urge. Might have to order some. 

27 minutes ago, transalper said:

Less accurate than with the stock tank?  So the first bar will still be 60% of the acerbis vs 50% of the stock tank capacity.  😉

FWIW I am planning to get the Acerbis tank. It looks great and I have been pleased with acerbis tanks on other bikes.

I like to think of the fuel gauge on this bike as an old fisherman in a pub. There’s some truth in the story but you have to take it with a pinch of salt. 🍺😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it’ll have to wait a bit longer. Not in uk until mid October now. Probably a transport thing in the current climate. 

I just checked looks out of stock in US, didnt know they were already available. Didnt realize this was in French the YT videos haha

Edited by vagrant318
  • Like 1

@Dougie Following this thread with interest; keen to know how you get on with it. I'm building my T700 into an overlander; so want a big range (already have the camel tank). Please post updates when you get and install your Acerbis tank.

Cheers fella.

@NeilWill do bud. Should be a couple of weeks 🤞. Ideally I want two complete tanks so I don’t have to p*ss about swapping stuff. Depends on the price of the pump.
Need to find a way of making it white too, so I can red speed block it like my 1vj. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

...Need to find a way of making it white too, so I can red speed block it like my 1vj. 

It's doable.  You can coat the inside with an epoxy coating made to seal gas tanks.  It's meant for repair cracked tanks but it works on plastic tanks to seal them as well.  I did it to my F650 Funduro tank with a product from Caswell.  I ran it for a few years before selling the bike and the Black rattle can paint I sprayed the yellowed tank with was intact.  You will lose a little bit of volume, maybe .25l .  

Before:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8113/8695163578_70bbf9f17c_c.jpg

After:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8393/8694044201_945f9748da_c.jpg

Thread here.

Tips or questions about working on your F650 / G650. Do not post 'Wanteds' or 'Sales' of any items in the forums, but use the Classifieds forum instead.

Edited by Goldentaco

What, put the sealant on the outside and it goes off white? Or you rub it down and spray it? 
was considering the vinyl route, thought there would be a plasticote paint too. I’ll see what it looks like as it is first. I’m not the best at blue Peter skills. Just mech/elec stuff. 

17 hours ago, Dougie said:

What, put the sealant on the outside and it goes off white?

you put the sealant on the inside so that fuel fumes don't mess up the paint / coating / stickers you'd want to apply on the outside of a plastic tank.

• Like 2

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Does it look like you will be able to use all the fuel in the tank ? Ive had a  few tanks in the past where there was a fair amount of unusable fuel that was too low in the tank to be used.....

The pump is right at the bottom by the look of the pics. Real life inspection will have to wait.  December delivery now to uk. 🙄

On 10/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, duibhceK said:

you put the sealant on the inside so that fuel fumes don't mess up the paint / coating / stickers you'd want to apply on the outside of a plastic tank.

Are those fuel fumes really a problem with non full covering stickers?

I’ve seen people using vinyls on their KTM790 tanks with no issues.

Somebody had any experience eith that, and can confirm how long the stickers lasted?

6 minutes ago, Quercus Petraea said:

Are those fuel fumes really a problem with non full covering stickers?

I’ve seen people using vinyls on their KTM790 tanks with no issues.

Somebody had any experience eith that, and can confirm how long the stickers lasted?

I replaced the OEM decals on both sides of my KTM 950 Adv's plastic fuel tank due to bubbling from fuel fumes that leeched through over several years. A very common occurrence on those bikes, and I sold it before the new decals bubbled again. 

7 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I replaced the OEM decals on both sides of my KTM 950 Adv's plastic fuel tank due to bubbling from fuel fumes that leeched through over several years. A very common occurrence on those bikes, and I sold it before the new decals bubbled again. 

Thanks for that!

How long (aprox.) those decala lasted??

I woudn’t mind changing some white home made stickers every few months…

I wonder if Acerbis is producing this tank in white in the future

5 minutes ago, Quercus Petraea said:

Thanks for that!

How long (aprox.) those decala lasted??

I woudn’t mind changing some white home made stickers every few months…

I wonder if Acerbis is producing this tank in white in the future

My 950 Adv was a 2004 model that I bought used in 2012 with the original decals bubbled, so no idea how long it took for that to happen. The replacement decals (which I made myself by tracing the OEM stickers, then transferring the design to some locally sourced black self-adhesive film, cutting and applying it) hadn't bubbled yet when I sold the bike two years later.

Bubbling visible below the knee pad (knee pads added by previous owner to try and hide the decal bubbling):

IMG_8576.thumb.JPG.b982027f0a7696375c565ac578aef380.JPG

Not a great picture, but with the replacement decal:

IMG00403-20140315-1438.thumb.jpg.d53cedf0bfc2b6f60a1fb4ae9647135a.jpg 

• Thanks 1

I reckon they should be ok, acerbis are the masters of placcy tanks. Stickers on a new clean one should be fine. Was thinking of trying the 3M wrap to make it white. Or there’s always plastikote spray. 

55 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I reckon they should be ok, acerbis are the masters of placcy tanks. Stickers on a new clean one should be fine.

It will be fine for a while, probably quite a long while. But it won't be fine forever. Many (tank) sticker sets for enduro and cross bikes are perforated for this very reason. It would probably be long enough not to worry about it and just replace them when they do start showing bubbles, though.

Even Acerbis is not immune to the phenomenon, the stickers I put on Acerbis tanks for my DRZ400 and my WR450 also started bubbling. The Safari tanks on my TR650 had it as well.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

U reckon it’s the vapours then or u think it would peel off those types of plastics anyway over time? There’s always @Goldentaco ‘s suggestion of the tank liner if it’s the fuel. I’ve used it on my old tenere’s tank for rust prevention.