Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis bigger tank 23lt

365moto.eu

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

U reckon it’s the vapours then or u think it would peel off those types of plastics anyway over time?

I do believe it is the vapours, as the bubbles tend to form away from the edges. If it was just peeling, it would start at the edges. But as mentioned, whether it is worth applying the coating or just replacing the stickers when it does start to happen is a different matter...

• Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

U reckon it’s the vapours then or u think it would peel off those types of plastics anyway over time? There’s always @Goldentaco ‘s suggestion of the tank liner if it’s the fuel. I’ve used it on my old tenere’s tank for rust prevention. 

As @duibhceK stated, the fuel vapors permeate the plastic eventually but they are liquid tight.  Perforated stickers help but are not 100% a solution.  It's just a function of the material.  

J

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

U reckon it’s the vapours then or u think it would peel off those types of plastics anyway over time?

Anyone who raced MX back in the day will tell you nothing will stick to a plastic tank for long. It will bubble no matter if it is perforated or not... New dirt bikes are watercooled and have radiator shrouds for the graphics - no longer on the tank...

They will stick and look good for a month or so, then they start to lose the battle with the vapors that permeate through the tank plastic...  No known solution I'm aware of and I have a close friend that owns a graphics company that will tell you the same...

It’s all first world problems I know.  Good advice on here, I’ll follow, if it ever arrives😁🙄.  Rugged roads are good though, I’ve been apologised to and kept informed all the way with offers of a refund if wanted. Great customer service. It’s Acerbis themselves who haven’t got them out yet. Probably truck driver /ports related  I’ll happily wait. 

T7 Rally announced on their FB page they have Acerbis tanks in stock shipping worldwide and their website looks like they're available to order.  They are working on a mid mounted option as well that should work with the Acerbis...but that's been in development for a couple years now.

https://t7rally.com/shop/ols/products/tenere-700-t7-acerbis-23l-fuel-tank

J

• Like 2

Was about to press go on that, and cancel the original order, but after vat etc, it’s £417. Uk delivery. I’ll wait. Rugged roads, £371 delivered. 

• Like 1

I’ll just watch as the guys with the first ones sail by as I’m filling up. 🥺damn their extra 6/7 litres. (Depending on what you read) 😁

• Moderators

Following along - be sure to post up a North American link this fall when it becomes available - I will do the same.

• Like 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my Acerbis 22L (edit: fixed) tank this morning.

A calculator I found on Google says that the additional 6L of fuel over stock will add ~10 lbs, so when I get a chance to install it I'm going to weigh both tanks empty to see if the plastic tank shaves any weight off from the stock tank (just for curiosity).

Tenere 700 Acerbis 23L fuel tank.jpg

Edited by badassler
  • Like 5

Are you banging yours straight on permanently? I’m undecided. 
Ive asked acerbis if any paint or wrap can be used.  Was also going to build it with new kit. Itching to fit it though. 🙄

32 minutes ago, badassler said:

Just received my Acerbis 23L tank this morning.

A calculator I found on Google says that the additional 7L of fuel over stock will add ~12 lbs, so when I get a chance to install it I'm going to weigh both tanks empty to see if the plastic tank shaves any weight off from the stock tank (just for curiosity).

Tenere 700 Acerbis 23L fuel tank.jpg

In the first video, you can see the weight saving (empty tanks) is 1.4 liters.

In the second one, you can see that Acerbis tank is closer to 22 liters than 23.

Just now, Quercus Petraea said:

In the first video, you can see the weight saving (empty tanks) is 1.4 liters.

In the second one, you can see that Acerbis tank is closer to 22 liters than 23.

Oh nice, someone already did the homework for me. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Ah, the site I bought mine from (T7rally.com) had it listed as 23L, but the official Acerbis listing says 5.8 liquid gallons which is actually 22L.

I assume it's impossible to Run a Tank bag with that kind of fuel cap, right?

I think the kreiga type setup would probably work. Anything that fits the standard tank should work really. The tank shape is pretty much identical. 

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

@badasslerI take it the breather /spill now goes to the cap as per olden days? But now down to the rollover/ charcoal filter? 

Correct, the tank comes with a new length of hose to connect from the top of the filler cap to the existing breather system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, qInvention said:

I assume it's impossible to Run a Tank bag with that kind of fuel cap, right?

Giant Loop Diablo and Fandango have recesses to account for this.  You can also install a swivel 90deg fitting if your mechanically savvy so you don't pinch the hose...or skip the swivel and just add a 90 deg with a quick disconnect or vent hose spinner on the hose.   With FI, this is less of an issue.  With carbs, it definitely can create flow issues.

J

Edited by Goldentaco

8 hours ago, badassler said:

Correct, the tank comes with a new length of hose to connect from the top of the filler cap to the existing breather system.

I assume you can leave the oem hose if you use the Acerbis locking cap, wich is already vented, am I right?

3 hours ago, Quercus Petraea said:

I assume you can leave the oem hose if you use the Acerbis locking cap, wich is already vented, am I right?

Just been watching charlycrx video on YouTube. He fitted the locking cap and ignored the vent hose. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Just been watching charlycrx video on YouTube. He fitted the locking cap and ignored the vent hose. 👍

Yep, but my doubt is if you can just leave the oem "short" hose in that case. I'm guessing you can, but not sure

That just connects to the charcoal filter so is no longer needed. I’d still prefer overflow/spill pipes on a tank mind. Just reboxed my acerbis. Can’t bring myself to fit it onto a white bike yet. 😂

• Like 1