Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis bigger tank 23lt

365moto.eu

Not to hijack the brand in this thread, but man them Aussies like to go big! Not my speed, but combine this monster with a Camel & you’d be packing 30ltrs!

Safari Tanks supply long range motorcycle fuel tanks for many makes of bikes, including BMW, Husaberg, Kawasaki, Yamaha and more

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 2:52 AM, Hammerhead said:

Not to hijack the brand in this thread, but man them Aussies like to go big! Not my speed, but combine this monster with a Camel & you’d be packing 30ltrs!

Safari Tanks supply long range motorcycle fuel tanks for many makes of bikes, including BMW, Husaberg, Kawasaki, Yamaha and more

I think not the Acerbis tank nor the Safari can be combined with the CamelADV tank, as this one need to be plugged to the charcoal cannister, wich is unpluged from those bigger tanks.

12 minutes ago, Quercus Petraea said:

I think not the Acerbis tank nor the Safari can be combined with the CamelADV tank, as this one need to be plugged to the charcoal cannister, wich is unpluged from those bigger tanks.

You’re probably right, but the problem is more likely the fuel transfer. Camel tanks connect to the main tank vent for that, which both of these have in their caps. Might still work??,  but hardly necessary with one of these larger capacity units. 
   I’ve deleted my charcoal canister & the vent from my camel tank just runs to the stock overflow plumbing. Works great.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to fix both the Acerbis and Caamel tanks on the same bike and got it to work? I see this question here but no definite positive answer. Any pointers and links welcome. Thanks 

On 5/28/2021 at 10:37 PM, TeabagInsurance said:

I wonder if this new tank will be able to support the Camel ADV auxiliary tank. My T7 is ready for pickup next week and I have already received the Camel tank. Would be amazing I could use it in addition to the Camel tank. That would be some crazy long range!

1 hour ago, Treps said:

Has anyone managed to fix both the Acerbis and Caamel tanks on the same bike and got it to work? I see this question here but no definite positive answer. Any pointers and links welcome. Thanks 

Can’t offer an experienced answer, but given the camel siphons through the main vent & these tanks vent through their caps, that’s what you’d be looking at. Theory sounds plausible,

but in practice there might be issues?? 
  Some massive range available there but how often it would actually be used is another question. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:28 AM, Treps said:

I don't have any answer either unfortunately. The Camel tank did not end up fitting alongside my pannier rack, so I ended up returning the Camel tank. I'll likely end up getting an Acerbis tank anyway, and as Hammerhead noted, I think it's unlikely that I would end up actually making use of the combined range, so for me, I elected to return the Camel tank.

• Like 1

Could be Jan 22 at the earliest in UK according to Rugged roads £365.95

Camel 5 ltr aux tank £369.00

T7rally.com £329.17.

Couldn't you just put a hole and fitting in the bottom of the Acerbis tank and add a sealed gas cap to the Acerbis tank?

I think Cory  @Camel ADVmentioned this somewhere in another thread.

Edited by Simmons1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

• Supporting Vendor

6 hours ago, Engineer said:

@TeabagInsurance@Treps Hi, I have installed the Acerbis tank along with the camel tank and it all works perfectly.

It can be done. It took a lot of thinking about, some extra funds (for a flush filler cap) and a lot of patience.

You wouldn't want to do it unless you were slightly mad.

I made a stainless connector to replicate the breather connection next to the pump, and installed a breather pipe from there up to the filler cap area.

Cut off the boss that the cap screws on to and installed Newton Aero 200 filler cap with a solid fixing ring (modified to fit through fuel pump access hole).

The end of the breather pipe was fixed to the fixing ring of the filler cap.

I did say you need to be slightly mad. But it works.

IMG_20211025_180735 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211025_180834 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211028_122902 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211028_122924 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211029_132234 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211117_145728 (Copy).jpg

Nice work @Engineer! Like you mentioned, there are easier options but your's turned out very well.

6 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

Couldn't you just put a hole and fitting in the bottom of the Acerbis tank and add a sealed gas cap to the Acerbis tank?

I think Cory  @Camel ADVmentioned this somewhere in another thread.

The vent barb on the OEM tank is actually a long tube that is brazed into a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank. The other end of the tube goes up into the air pocket at the top of the tank (much like a diving snorkel). If you were to drill into the bottom of the tank and install a fitting, the fuel from the main tank would simply flow into the Camel Tank, causing it to overflow and dump gas everywhere.

There are a couple easy options for plumbing the Camel Tank into the larger aftermarket main tanks.

1) If the main tank has a vent barb on the fuel cap, you can simply plumb the fuel line from the Camel Tank to that barb. The downside is that when you spin the main cap off, you need to make sure the the fuel line is spinning on the barb so the hose doesn't get twisted. If you have a tank bag that sits over the fuel cap, then this method won't work as the fuel hose will be kinked, that will create a vacuum lock, no fuel will transfer and if it gets bad enough, it can cause your bike to stall.

2) You can drill a hole in the top of main tank and install a bulkhead fitting, then a barb fitting into it. You can also do it without the bulkhead fitting, simply by using an NPT tap, NPT barb fitting and petrol rated teflon tape. This new hole needs to be above the fuel level. The fitting can be into the side of the tank but at the top of that side. You'd have to plug the vent on the main tank's cap or you'd lose all of you vacuum and nothing would transfer.

Before you bust out the drill and add a hole in your fuel tank, make sure you know what you're getting into. My comments above are in no way a DIY tutorial. Tanks are HDPE or XLPE and are notoriously tough to patch if you end up putting the hole in the wrong spot. Proceed with caution!

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Nice work @Engineer! Like you mentioned, there are easier options but your's turned out very well.

The vent barb on the OEM tank is actually a long tube that is brazed into a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank. The other end of the tube goes up into the air pocket at the top of the tank (much like a diving snorkel). If you were to drill into the bottom of the tank and install a fitting, the fuel from the main tank would simply flow into the Camel Tank, causing it to overflow and dump gas everywhere.

There are a couple easy options for plumbing the Camel Tank into the larger aftermarket main tanks.

1) If the main tank has a vent barb on the fuel cap, you can simply plumb the fuel line from the Camel Tank to that barb. The downside is that when you spin the main cap off, you need to make sure the the fuel line is spinning on the barb so the hose doesn't get twisted. If you have a tank bag that sits over the fuel cap, then this method won't work as the fuel hose will be kinked, that will create a vacuum lock, no fuel will transfer and if it gets bad enough, it can cause your bike to stall.

2) You can drill a hole in the top of main tank and install a bulkhead fitting, then a barb fitting into it. You can also do it without the bulkhead fitting, simply by using an NPT tap, NPT barb fitting and petrol rated teflon tape. This new hole needs to be above the fuel level. The fitting can be into the side of the tank but at the top of that side. You'd have to plug the vent on the main tank's cap or you'd lose all of you vacuum and nothing would transfer.

Before you bust out the drill and add a hole in your fuel tank, make sure you know what you're getting into. My comments above are in no way a DIY tutorial. Tanks are HDPE or XLPE and are notoriously tough to patch if you end up putting the hole in the wrong spot. Proceed with caution!

Cory, how well would it work to find a location in the main tank to fit the barb that is higher than the Camel tank but lower than the top of the main tank. Would this allow the fuel to first be drawn from the top of the main tank, lowering the COG, then once the fuel level reaches the barb, the fuel from the Camel tank gets drawn? Would the larger air gap in the top of the main tank hinder the flow of fuel from the camel tank?

If this was still effective then the barb could be place somewhere protected at the front of the main tank, and not interfere with a tank bag or fuel cap.

Edit - actually I can answer my own question, it wont work. At least it wont work unless the barb had a one way or manual valve, for the reason you mentioned about the fuel travelling back to the camel tank and overflowing its own breather. Would be good to find a solution with the breather hoses so this could be done.

Edited by TimeMachine

• Supporting Vendor
7 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Cory, how well would it work to find a location in the main tank to fit the barb that is higher than the Camel tank but lower than the top of the main tank. Would this allow the fuel to first be drawn from the top of the main tank, lowering the COG, then once the fuel level reaches the barb, the fuel from the Camel tank gets drawn? Would the larger air gap in the top of the main tank hinder the flow of fuel from the camel tank?

If this was still effective then the barb could be place somewhere protected at the front of the main tank, and not interfere with a tank bag or fuel cap.

Edit - actually I can answer my own question, it wont work. At least it wont work unless the barb had a one way or manual valve, for the reason you mentioned about the fuel travelling back to the camel tank and overflowing its own breather. Would be good to find a solution with the breather hoses so this could be done.

The fuel from the Camel Tank is drawn to the main with vacuum/siphon. The fuel supply has to be in the air pocket at the top of the main tank to work properly. You cannot add a check valve/one-way valve as your main tank will not be able to vent/breathe properly when the fuel expands due to heat (due to changes in ambient temp or because of engine heat etc). 

The new fitting would not have to be on the top surface of the tank, it could be on the front facing surface but it HAS TO BE above the fuel level of the main tank when it is full. 

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, T7Dave said:

Does the Acerbis tank fit with the Scotts steering damper? 

Just fitted my tank. And it fits with a damper.

but… there’s some space between the tank and the frame.

EBF96B19-5023-40BA-B4F5-0ACD29AEBB8E.jpeg

50D09DC8-B97B-4D3C-ABD0-D60185E30846.jpeg

7E6E8A6B-91CF-4E7F-84ED-81DAA6626D2F.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:42 AM, Engineer said:

@TeabagInsurance@Treps Hi, I have installed the Acerbis tank along with the camel tank and it all works perfectly.

It can be done. It took a lot of thinking about, some extra funds (for a flush filler cap) and a lot of patience.

You wouldn't want to do it unless you were slightly mad.

I made a stainless connector to replicate the breather connection next to the pump, and installed a breather pipe from there up to the filler cap area.

Cut off the boss that the cap screws on to and installed Newton Aero 200 filler cap with a solid fixing ring (modified to fit through fuel pump access hole).

The end of the breather pipe was fixed to the fixing ring of the filler cap.

I did say you need to be slightly mad. But it works.

IMG_20211025_180735 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211025_180834 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211028_122902 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211028_122924 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211029_132234 (Copy).jpg

This is stellar.  It’s the way Yamaha should have built it. !! Great job. Would you be interested in doing a kit? I would love to have this on mine. I have already order the acerbis tank.  

• Like 1

Looking at buying the locking fuel cap but there are two sizes advertised . Can someone tell me which one fits, the big cap or the small cap. My tank turns up in 6 weeks can’t wait.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:42 AM, Engineer said:

Hi, I have installed the Acerbis tank ... 

It took a lot of thinking about, some extra funds (for a flush filler cap) and a lot of patience.

WOW !!!!!  That is beautiful work and a nice flush filler cap. 

Do you have any tips and links for converting the Acerbis to the flush filler cap ? ... I mean other than "you need to be slightly mad" ?

14 hours ago, MGG said:

Do you have any tips and links for converting the Acerbis to the flush filler cap ? ... I mean other than "you need to be slightly mad" ?

@MGG

I used The Aero 200 fuel filler cap with integral neck from Newton Equipment Ltd in the UK, with their aluminium solid fixing ring.

I cut off the filler neck on the tank flush with the surface, being careful not to scratch the surrounding area and installed the neck of the Aero cap through the hole. Drilled the 6 fixing holes and fixed the cap to the tank with the fixing screws into the aluminium fixing ring. I used Teroson PU92 sealant between the fixing ring and the inside of the tank to ensure a fuel tight installation.

Problems:

I think that the Newton Aero 200 series filler caps are only available unvented,which suited my purpose as I installed an internal vent to connect to the original vent system. If an internal vent is not being installed, it would be necessary to provide a separate vent at the top of the tank.

The Aero 200 aluminium fixing ring is too big to fit through the fuel pump fixing hole and needs to be slightly reduced in size, requiring the use of a lathe.

As I have mentioned previously, I wanted a flush filler cap and the ability to connect to my already installed Camel tank by replicating the breather connection that exists on the standard tank. I am fortunate to be retired and have the use of a lathe and well equipped workshop.

I only carried out the mod as a personal challenge to see if I could do it. I would not recommend it to others due to the cost and difficulties involved.

Edited by Engineer
correction
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 10:08 AM, majland said:

Got mine and fitted it last weekend.  Might need to do something about the last white piece below the tank.

JCfnFubQOc7ikSgxH79P_bmv_FZv6GiZCj-8E9YIbKTNttosFDrpp26_QOT6Fkj2wuyM6s2-9I8w-Jr2ypjj0jvaSaO9tbtfTR0mqqlrqSjRdjYDcYQcvC34hhKUjxCxM1RbZOklT2hVxIu1Uu2kAngSD5yIt7pEdlkgu2zvtwtJh_4MjxP1EMZ0YAUzcDH7lRwdaFUBA0bGTBQM5jbLl6RftbagtJRh49nJs6pQBifVPl4Ez_6XISrSgWVp0M5iHFGGZUSHdvhwwZMin5Poy9qWJ7Hky2RfVjRhVbjWS2DrOotckm2C4adp7yS8A6IpyL9XYqhRWhNvefu22rzgXE_RCNZc0KtF2w-ft1Ky_7fBo1Tp_8ACl156AI0MyYhCyNOllnVRtNgb9c8gA0kwoXVrfmbjD9v0mcLR6Esn37Y-w_1Fnx6SYUCUU9OQEHk7WW0zzvPBZlGF4v9BKWNsk5xJXHEcCd_TSE2OYCTl5J7P9jjUlFlcCF5ekepybZzvFPEjm17w9vuEbNsvaJPLfGRRh9J7C4ITBm2uhv9nESnrGKiFUf_7TbVumTHP1saThn-NjaKDMIkAfQhl9585G8yWT12pYPyBI-2G57Hfmpncjv3jJgX5sjU25SIutJLLWAot1T51w--Jtnvs3tgHVhOzrRWMuBoUxBC8v7jOU8m_EPANHc5_tHHww34Fj7uLy4DDsMFG74RblH1Fhp8VQNsB3g=w969-h1290-no?authuser=0

Today the F came on at 388km and after another 60km i put 21,95 liters in - that was a bit close since a youtube video shows that it might only take 22,1x  and not the full 23liter it is advertised.

How much are you actually able to use ?

• Like 1

2020 Yamaha XTZ700 Ténéré
2011 Yamaha XT660Z ABS Ténéré [Sold], 1994 Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré [Sold], 1988 Yamaha XT600Z Ténéré  [Sold]

Sounds about right.  I’d expect 280 miles from my acerbis. Like the old 600. I’d say 450km is a good deal. 

I went to fit my Safari tank yesterday but the rear bracket holes were a full hole out. I will need to get a replacement organised...

Safari rear bracket holes.jpg

• Sad 2