Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis bigger tank 23lt

365moto.eu

13 hours ago, Jagumba said:

I went to fit my Safari tank yesterday but the rear bracket holes were a full hole out. I will need to get a replacement organised...

Safari rear bracket holes.jpg

Is there no play in the bushes? If they supplied eccentric bushes it would be fine. Let’s hope it’s just a glitch. 

16 hours ago, Jagumba said:

I went to fit my Safari tank yesterday but the rear bracket holes were a full hole out. I will need to get a replacement organised...

Safari rear bracket holes.jpg

Double check everything. I think those holes for inlays are done in injection molding process.  If that is the case, it would mean that it all acerbis safari tanks are faulty. Evidently that is not the case, because there are people who have successfully installed the tank

9 hours ago, Dougie said:

Is there no play in the bushes? If they supplied eccentric bushes it would be fine. Let’s hope it’s just a glitch. 

No play they use the standard OEM bracket and bushes

6 hours ago, witgen said:

Double check everything. I think those holes for inlays are done in injection molding process.  If that is the case, it would mean that it all acerbis safari tanks are faulty. Evidently that is not the case, because there are people who have successfully installed the tank

Ran the vernier calipers over them twice to be sure

Send an email via their website.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

8 hours ago, witgen said:

It’s the aus tank. Not seen one here yet. The acerbis fit fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 7:08 AM, Rider 101 said:

Send an email via their website.

Well Safari contacted me when they read of the issue. The sent a replacement tank express post the next day. Apparently my tank and 1 other had an issue with the cooling process during injection molding and the holes were 5mm out. The customer service and communication from Safari has been nothing short of exceptional. I picked up the new tank this morning and this one fitted straight on. 

Safari fitted.jpg

• Like 5

I just don't like the shape. I will have an Acerbis in a couple of days.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

21 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

I just don't like the shape. I will have an Acerbis in a couple of days.

I looked at them but I didn't like the shape 👍

6 hours ago, Jagumba said:

Well Safari contacted me when they read of the issue. The sent a replacement tank express post the next day. Apparently my tank and 1 other had an issue with the cooling process during injection molding and the holes were 5mm out. The customer service and communication from Safari has been nothing short of exceptional. I picked up the new tank this morning and this one fitted straight on. 

Safari fitted.jpg

Can’t argue with that customer service. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Which crash bars are everybody running with their Acerbis tank? Just tried to fit some Hepco beckers and the clearance is too tight on the side panels and trim pieces…

2 hours ago, beachzack said:

Which crash bars are everybody running with their Acerbis tank? Just tried to fit some Hepco beckers and the clearance is too tight on the side panels and trim pieces…

I don't remember any of the panels being in a different locations after the Acerbis tank install.

I am using Adventure Spec crash bars. 

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

25 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

I don't remember any of the panels being in a different locations after the Acerbis tank install.

I am using Adventure Spec crash bars. 

I thought that would be the case too, but with the acerbis tank I’ve got mere millimeters of clearance for the black trim piece in the background of this photo. These are Hepco and Becker “extreme” crash bars. Probably worth noting my acerbis tank wasn’t exactly the same as stock and required some fiddling to get the panels back on. Think I just picked crashbars that run a little too high and tight…

5D41841F-3DDE-44EB-B6C2-B1DBF1CD9FEB.jpeg

79C10E03-E7B1-499C-BB42-381D45D6CE27.jpeg

10 hours ago, beachzack said:

SW Motech bars on my bike and zero conflicts with the Acerbis tank.

Original yamaha

2020 Yamaha XTZ700 Ténéré
2011 Yamaha XT660Z ABS Ténéré [Sold], 1994 Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré [Sold], 1988 Yamaha XT600Z Ténéré  [Sold]

4 hours ago, jdub53 said:

SW Motech bars on my bike and zero conflicts with the Acerbis tank.

Same. No issues at all with SW bars and the Acerbis.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:09 AM, beachzack said:

I thought that would be the case too, but with the acerbis tank I’ve got mere millimeters of clearance for the black trim piece in the background of this photo. These are Hepco and Becker “extreme” crash bars. Probably worth noting my acerbis tank wasn’t exactly the same as stock and required some fiddling to get the panels back on. Think I just picked crashbars that run a little too high and tight…

Did you remove the pads inside the panels? 
what were they like before the tank swap?

Edited by Dougie

I installed an Acerbis tank a month ago and am really loving it. I have noticed very little change in the feel of the bike, and gone is the range anxiety I used to feel a lot. Just returned home from a trip up into Quebec, where several times I put in over 15 liters after long off-road sections. It would  have been pretty tight going with the original 16 liter tank! The loose, floppy vent hose into the cap is a lousy design. Will probably install a vent fitting straight into the tank to fix it. 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 8:09 PM, beachzack said:

So its close but not touching? I don't see the issue. I have the same bars and my tank should be here this week I hope it all fits.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:26 AM, Dougie said:

Did you remove the pads inside the panels? 
what were they like before the tank swap?

Pads removed, I didn’t actually try on these bars before swapping the tank on, so not sure, I did have to modify the plastics just a bit by drilling mounting holes out a bit.

9 hours ago, BlackHawkChief said:

So its close but not touching? I don't see the issue. I have the same bars and my tank should be here this week I hope it all fits.

There’s no room for me to fit the black trim piece in there, let alone try to remove it with the bars installed, it perfectly blocks one of the bolts. Even if I could mount the front plastics without the trim piece, those also have fitment issues on my bike. Let me know how your install goes, seems there’s a bit of variance in tolerances with each tank

• 3 weeks later...

Acerbis tank installed.

Works fine with Motea crash bars. Motea's second advantage - compatibility with GP Mucci skid plate (yeap, still waiting for my order... 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by łorsoł
  • Like 3

XRV750 / DRZ400S / G650X / 2T 200EXC / ADV990R / TIGER800XCE690R / TE510 / T700

Photos and movies: https://sites.google.com/view/lorsolek

• Moderators

Canadian folks, I am seeing the Acerbis tank on the Triple Clamp Moto website now. Leave me one, cheers!

07f8-61bb7a432e47d_600x600_crop_center.p

Replaces the stock steel fuel tank on Yamaha Ténéré 700 (also known as XTZ700). This product is made of an impact and abrasion resistant plastic. It has larger capacity than the stock tank. Features: Increased capacity of...

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 6 months later...

I'm looking at doing this Acerbis project on my 22.  Two things I can't seem to find an answer to:

1.) Is there a way to have the vent tube elsewhere?  I don't really like the look of it coming out of the gas gap like that

2.) I see that you can buy a locking cap (though not sure what size applies here) - how would a locking cap work without ventilation?  I don't see the vent tube on the locking cap

2 hours ago, eddylindenstein said:

I'm looking at doing this Acerbis project on my 22.  Two things I can't seem to find an answer to:

1.) Is there a way to have the vent tube elsewhere?  I don't really like the look of it coming out of the gas gap like that

2.) I see that you can buy a locking cap (though not sure what size applies here) - how would a locking cap work without ventilation?  I don't see the vent tube on the locking cap

1. Not really if you use the cap that comes with the tank.

2. The vent is built into the locking locking gas cap so there would be no need for a hose.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750