Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How/where do you carry your tools?

mpatch

2 hours ago, duibhceK said:

almost looks like it belongs there with that shape. Have you use a mounting bracket on the inside as well? or just the one mount on the outside shown here?

I made a bracket that bolts to the underside of the rear fender using the four rear fender bolts.  It connects to the inside of the tool kit and can't be seen in the photo.

The strap you can see is not actually needed.  I added that later to give a bit more support, but sometimes I remove my tail rack and run with just the inside bracket.

There is room to do the same on the opposite side as well if you run the stock exhaust.  I might add a second on the other side eventually. 

AF95528F-99C6-4FD5-9F76-CBBADDF614BB_1_201_a.jpeg

9416F426-F8F1-488F-9A24-7E486EFC578D.jpeg

• Like 4

On 12/30/2021 at 12:56 PM, williestreet said:

I made a bracket that bolts to the underside of the rear fender using the four rear fender bolts.  It connects to the inside of the tool kit and can't be seen in the photo.

The strap you can see is not actually needed.  I added that later to give a bit more support, but sometimes I remove my tail rack and run with just the inside bracket.

There is room to do the same on the opposite side as well if you run the stock exhaust.  I might add a second on the other side eventually. 

AF95528F-99C6-4FD5-9F76-CBBADDF614BB_1_201_a.jpeg

9416F426-F8F1-488F-9A24-7E486EFC578D.jpeg

Would love to see some more pics from different angles!

Looks very interesting!

thnx in advance!

• Like 1

Front tube in the swing arm hidey hole, flat folded rear tube behind left front fairing panel. Both bagged against chafing & stay well put even though I’m rolling tubeless. Complete tool roll, trail crutch, silky saw, ratchet strap, motopressor pump, flat repair, first aid & Nelson Rigg half cover all with room to spare in the 6 ltr. Kriegas on OS base. They move up front to the crash bars when fitting lager Kriegas to the base. Empty 12 ltr in the tail bag spot as an always available trunk.. They’re  are all just part of the bike that way & never need sorting or get forgotten.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Someone awhile back mentioned they were considering removing the charcoal canister and replacing it with a tool tube. If someone has done this mod, post up some pictures as it would utilize otherwise wasted space behind the engine.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, Hammerhead said:

Front tube in the swing arm hidey hole, flat folded rear tube behind left front fairing panel. Both bagged against chafing & stay well put even though I’m rolling tubeless. Complete tool roll, trail crutch, silky saw, ratchet strap, motopressor pump, flat repair, first aid & Nelson Rigg half cover all with room to spare in the 6 ltr. Kriegas on OS base. They move up front to the crash bars when fitting lager Kriegas to the base. Empty 12 ltr in the tail bag spot as an always available trunk.. They’re  are all just part of the bike that way & never need sorting or get forgotten.

How is that rear tube secured in that location? Very interesting..

40 minutes ago, DT675 said:

How is that rear tube secured in that location? Very interesting..

It isn’t,  gravity. Just kinda wedged between the rad shroud & fairing. Hasn’t budged. Flattened & folded twice in a thick plastic bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Someone awhile back mentioned they were considering removing the charcoal canister and replacing it with a tool tube. If someone has done this mod, post up some pictures as it would utilize otherwise wasted space behind the engine.

Did see that done somewhere. Maybe the canister delete thread?? Prime real estate for a snack heater though. Mine remains a work in progress.

Thanks. I’m Going to take a look at that location. That would be great if I could get my rear tube out of my side bags.

• Like 1

Correction @DT675, folded 3 times. It’s  good otherwise wasted space. Not the easiest fit but it’s not going to jump outa there on its own

13 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Could someone take a photo of the front tube going in the swingarm? Seems like I can't fold mine small enough to make that work. Thanks

3 hours ago, sracer said:

Could someone take a photo of the front tube going in the swingarm? Seems like I can't fold mine small enough to make that work. Thanks

Prep your tube like a 16” sausage. It has to go all the way across & start down the chain side to fit, so insert with the curve favouring that bend. 
   First 12” should slide in easily. The last bit with valve takes a little more push but hardly difficult. I point the final end toward the swing arm pivot but either way it should go & be relatively easy to retrieve given how often you’d be pulling it out.  
 Edit:  Regardless of tube storage, it’s worth noting I found some water puddling in the low point of the casting above the suspension links. Would be worth pulling that rubber bung to check for & dry things out in there on occasion if you’re riding wet conditions &/or washing the bike. 
   Suspect it’s getting  in through the holes that the chain guide plastics on swing arm are held in place with. 

1BACFB84-7F12-4525-9021-416812B6C3C7.jpeg

18871CFF-63C0-41D9-B2BC-96967285437A.jpeg

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Prep your tube like a 16” sausage. It has to go all the way across & start down the chain side to fit, so insert with the curve favouring that bend. 
   First 12” should slide in easily. The last bit with valve takes a little more push but hardly difficult. I point the final end toward the swing arm pivot but either way it should go & be relatively easy to retrieve given how often you’d be pulling it out.  
 Edit:  Regardless of tube storage, it’s worth noting I found some water puddling in the low point of the casting above the suspension links. Would be worth pulling that rubber bung to check for & dry things out in there on occasion if you’re riding wet conditions &/or washing the bike. 
   Suspect it’s getting  in through the holes that the chain guide plastics on swing arm are held in place with. 

1BACFB84-7F12-4525-9021-416812B6C3C7.jpeg

18871CFF-63C0-41D9-B2BC-96967285437A.jpeg

Edited by sracer
thanks for the info, hadn't considered wrapping to the chain side!
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:20 AM, AZJW said:

Here is a topic about it:

• Like 1

• Moderators

@BikeBrother, yes, thank you. I do remember reading that thread, but thought someone had posted up what they'd used as far as materials who actually put a tool tube in that space.  Maybe I saw it over at ADVRider?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

19 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@BikeBrother, yes, thank you. I do remember reading that thread, but thought someone had posted up what they'd used as far as materials who actually put a tool tube in that space.  Maybe I saw it over at ADVRider?

I seem to remember the tool tube they used being a pc of PVC pipe with a pair of those Oatey pipe plugs in it 

image.jpeg.e2eed2dacbbc47c350162ec5f5b28a7e.jpeg

• Like 1

All of my tools except tire irons which are switched from bike to bike.  Basic tools are in tool tube.  All specialty tools under the seat.

0409211616.jpg.edb085213bdba95b6c144f8657132b57.jpg

0410211716.jpg.409c3db961cb7bc44789854a6b06f162 (1).jpg

0410211717.jpg.c614289751c2ae241a487de2d8bf9ad4.jpg

20220102_080304.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

• Moderators

@BADDANDY Thanks for posting this. Looks like you reused the OEM rubber mount with a piece of 2" ID pvc? 

25 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@BADDANDY Thanks for posting this. Looks like you reused the OEM rubber mount with a piece of 2" ID pvc? 

Yes

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

6 hours ago, nolman said:

t7tools.thumb.jpg.0197e40cc4e728f78a021e9b5cbe5778.jpg

I did EXACTLY this set-up. Take it offroad, and it will be gone. Good for highway use though.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

5 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

I did EXACTLY this set-up. Take it offroad, and it will be gone. Good for highway use though.

Well, has survived 2 weeks of TET-trail in spain, so all good up untill now! 

The day will come... The mounting points are very weak when subjected to high frequency/high amplitude vibration. If you don't see both, you might be find. 700kms of washboard roads (over 3 days) did mine in.

Good luck! Enjoy the ride! Envious as its minus 28C here with 30cm of snow...

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I fitted a plastic tool tube, it has a dual purpose  I can fit my flask of coffee in or tools or spair waterproof's.

Also serve's as a crash protection for my akrapovic, don't ask me how I know.

IMG_3828.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/31/2021 at 8:57 PM, nolman said:

Would love to see some more pics from different angles!

Looks very interesting!

thnx in advance!

The Kappa/Givi tool box has 4 mounting points on each side of the box so it can be adapted to many bikes and be used on either side of the bikes.

My bracket is pretty rough looking, but it does the job.  If you look under the tail you will see 4 bolts up through the tail.  Mine might look slightly different because I have a Camel tail tidy.  The bolts need to be replaced with longer ones.

My bracket is "L" shaped and connects to these 4 bolts and then bends approx 90 degrees behind the tool box.

I made a small aluminum plate that bolts to the back of the box.  For ease of install/removal I wanted the bracket to attach to the small plate and not directly to the tool box.  

The Aluminum plate I made this from was thicker than ideal so making it from 2 different pieces was also easier, so another reason I went this route.  I had considered making 2 simple strips of aluminum instead of one piece up under the tail.  It would have been easier, but for several reasons I wanted to have the main bracket out of one solid piece.

The under tail bracket is heavy enough to support all the weight, but I decided to run a simple vertical aluminum bracket up to my homemade luggage rack.  Supporting both sides of the toolbox greatly strengthens the unit and I worry less when out on rough trails.  

9C089597-C1CA-4BE7-A535-78274507A249_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1