Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How/where do you carry your tools?

mpatch

On 1/1/2022 at 7:43 PM, sracer said:

I have my tube under the passenger seat, essentially in the side of the rear fender and held under the metal crossover bar where you bolt the seat to. Just add some soft tape to the metal, should vibrate too bad, but I’ll check it in a thousand miles and get back to you lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 1/1/2022 at 12:53 PM, Hammerhead said:

Prep your tube like a 16” sausage. It has to go all the way across & start down the chain side to fit, so insert with the curve favouring that bend. 
   First 12” should slide in easily. The last bit with valve takes a little more push but hardly difficult. I point the final end toward the swing arm pivot but either way it should go & be relatively easy to retrieve given how often you’d be pulling it out.  
 Edit:  Regardless of tube storage, it’s worth noting I found some water puddling in the low point of the casting above the suspension links. Would be worth pulling that rubber bung to check for & dry things out in there on occasion if you’re riding wet conditions &/or washing the bike. 
   Suspect it’s getting  in through the holes that the chain guide plastics on swing arm are held in place with. 

1BACFB84-7F12-4525-9021-416812B6C3C7.jpeg

18871CFF-63C0-41D9-B2BC-96967285437A.jpeg

@HammerheadHas a great tutorial here on tube storage, but it required some changes to work with my 2mm Tusk 80/100-21 tube. I tried the protective plastic bag idea, but I kept coming up about 4" short of getting the entire " sausage " in the swingarm.  I tried multiple times, finally removed the plastic bag, put on extra rubber bands and made the sausage about 20" long to reduce the girth. My guess that an actual heavy duty tube will be a real chore getting in, if it will even fit at all.  I used copious applications of baby powder, much twisting and guiding to get the lead end over to the left side of the swingarm.  It's all good now, but since it's for an emergency fix only, I hope to not be messing with it for quite awhile.  Props to Hammerhead for his instructions as I'd have given up if not knowing it had already been done before.

20220217_153751.jpg

20220217_154640.jpg

• Like 5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 2/17/2022 at 3:10 PM, AZJW said:

@HammerheadHas a great tutorial here on tube storage, but it required some changes to work with my 2mm Tusk 80/100-21 tube. I tried the protective plastic bag idea, but I kept coming up about 4" short of getting the entire " sausage " in the swingarm.  I tried multiple times, finally removed the plastic bag, put on extra rubber bands and made the sausage about 20" long to reduce the girth. My guess that an actual heavy duty tube will be a real chore getting in, if it will even fit at all.  I used copious applications of baby powder, much twisting and guiding to get the lead end over to the left side of the swingarm.  It's all good now, but since it's for an emergency fix only, I hope to not be messing with it for quite awhile.  Props to Hammerhead for his instructions as I'd have given up if not knowing it had already been done before.  

That’s what happens when you have a heavy duty sausage ! At least you got it in there & it won’t be slapping about. 

Mine was just the stocker that came out when I went tubeless & even with the plastic wrapper on it slips in fairly easy without  lube.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 7:10 AM, DuncMan said:

I've now got the Bumot toolbox which is made for my pannier racks. Works well.

spacer.png

That's a serious bit of kit!

• Like 1

I have been able to fit quite a bit under the seat.  Photos show the arrangement. 

The real breakthrough was figuring out how to fit three 10" tire levers and my hand pump under the metal crossbar between the 2 parts of the seat.  (Represented by the GREEN bar in the photo.)  There is a small opening that allows these longer items to extend into the empty space inside the plastics on the right.  Kinda hard to show in pictures, but try sliding the levers under that bar, from the battery area, until they slide through and tuck under.  Pump goes next.  The tow strap, jammed in last, does a nice job of holding everything tight.

Lastly, not shown, I carry a spare tube under the main seat, in the area with the rubber strap.

I do carry a few other items (CO2, JB weld, wire) elsewhere for extended trips, but this is most everything.999705084_Toolsunderseat.jpg.34330e49e60258311af1bbfdeb49b987.jpg

Fitting the tire levers.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, Hammerhead said:

Prep your tube like a 16” sausage. It has to go all the way across & start down the chain side to fit, so insert with the curve favouring that bend. 
   First 12” should slide in easily. The last bit with valve takes a little more push but hardly difficult. I point the final end toward the swing arm pivot but either way it should go & be relatively easy to retrieve given how often you’d be pulling it out.  
 Edit:  Regardless of tube storage, it’s worth noting I found some water puddling in the low point of the casting above the suspension links. Would be worth pulling that rubber bung to check for & dry things out in there on occasion if you’re riding wet conditions &/or washing the bike. 
   Suspect it’s getting  in through the holes that the chain guide plastics on swing arm are held in place with. 

1BACFB84-7F12-4525-9021-416812B6C3C7.jpeg

18871CFF-63C0-41D9-B2BC-96967285437A.jpeg

That's interesting. Have you ever pulled that tube back out and inspected for friction wear?  And if so has there been any of significance requiring further pre-tube insertion prep?  Thanks

Edited by ADVUSA

7 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

@ADVUSA   it’s been a while, but last time I did the plastic condom seemed to be doing it’s job fending off any of that. The unwrapped portion also looked fine. The fit is snug enough at that end I don’t think it’s able to bounce around & rub on much. 
  The mounting  screws for the top of swing arm chain plastics do protrude through into that space & could be problematic. 
  Thanks for the reminder to keep an eye on that.  Would certainly defeat the purpose to find it eventually damaged when you actually needed it.

On long trips it ended up here... Off course under the beavertail
IMG_20220605_145724.jpg.71be2560546ebaf0dcddf5dadbea7d47.jpg

And to secure it form falling out from the side.
IMG_20220605_145728.jpg.5d1ac4c0ffdd278097c834814d72cbb2.jpg

21 hours ago, Richarddd said:

Tool tubeEA794B98-1E1F-4F3F-A864-5862FE1B95DD.jpeg.5a591c4e557775b70105b35a89fb435a.jpeg

That's a tidy install - how did you attach the tube?

57 minutes ago, Zero600 said:

That's a tidy install - how did you attach the tube?

I fabricated two brackets. The forward one is a long piece of aluminum flat stock. runs from a bolt under the seat and bolted to the end of the the tube. Aft bracket is a welded tee. Attached under the rack mounting bolt and attached to tube with two hose clamps2FADEF6A-F1ED-45E1-B7A9-7D9BEA66B655.jpeg.cd82581b37544f44524dc3f6f0aec69f.jpeg240E249A-F464-49EF-8144-9CF8FB6B5D5D.jpeg.c9517648fb88d1fe44becb0e92cd1dd9.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Richarddd said:

I fabricated two brackets. The forward one is a long piece of aluminum flat stock. runs from a bolt under the seat and bolted to the end of the the tube. Aft bracket is a welded tee. Attached under the rack mounting bolt and attached to tube with two hose clamps2FADEF6A-F1ED-45E1-B7A9-7D9BEA66B655.jpeg.cd82581b37544f44524dc3f6f0aec69f.jpeg240E249A-F464-49EF-8144-9CF8FB6B5D5D.jpeg.c9517648fb88d1fe44becb0e92cd1dd9.jpeg

Nice. I am jealous of anyone who can weld.

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 7:06 PM, Hammerhead said:

Front tube in the swing arm hidey hole, flat folded rear tube behind left front fairing panel. Both bagged against chafing & stay well put even though I’m rolling tubeless. Complete tool roll, trail crutch, silky saw, ratchet strap, motopressor pump, flat repair, first aid & Nelson Rigg half cover all with room to spare in the 6 ltr. Kriegas on OS base. They move up front to the crash bars when fitting lager Kriegas to the base. Empty 12 ltr in the tail bag spot as an always available trunk.. They’re  are all just part of the bike that way & never need sorting or get forgotten.

No handling issues with the tube stash spots? (swing arm and front left under panel)

26 minutes ago, Connor said:

No handling issues with the tube stash spots? (swing arm and front left under panel)

Nah, none. Many km of rough FSR this summer & both tubes have stayed put & are holding  their own. Recent check proved the heavy plastic bags are doing their duty against chafe.  Leaving them both right where they are.

• Like 1

As I’m off to the Manx GP next week I attached my tool tube to the exhaust hanger.  Plenty of clearance, used a piece of aluminium and a couple of bolts.  

Seems to do the job OK.

90507486-054E-4A24-AF3A-14CB5B84F1FE.jpeg

0F22D944-7E9C-4438-BE31-3FD665E59507.jpeg

• Like 2

After upgraded to the Rally Seat, I fit my tools in the seat tool picket.
So I got all my tools, rally raid tool and some small stuff in the seat pocket.
But also 3 tire spoons under the seat.

I use a Enduristan Basepack XS 6.5L bag on my tail rack for tubes and other things good to have.
But if I wanted, I could just bring a front tube in my riding back pack, or stuff it behind the windshield/rally tower.

M

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used at MyTech Yamaha 700 Tenere Tool Case?  They are about 135 euros, but by the time you buy another tool box and figure out how to mount it, you are close to this price that is customized for a T7.  

shop4521400.pictures.yamahaside700.jpg

Get your adventure parts and accessories from Mytech. Italian well made parts and accessories for BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, Suzuki and many more

• Like 2

Add a 60 amp circuit breaker to the side of that box and tell everyone you have an electric bike....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 hours ago, PP186515 said:

Has anyone used at MyTech Yamaha 700 Tenere Tool Case?  They are about 135 euros, but by the time you buy another tool box and figure out how to mount it, you are close to this price that is customized for a T7.  

shop4521400.pictures.yamahaside700.jpg

Get your adventure parts and accessories from Mytech. Italian well made parts and accessories for BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, Suzuki and many more

Looks a bit cumbersome, but will probably do its job well. I guess these won't work with most tail tidy solutions due to the blinkers sitting in front of the box door?

• 2 months later...

I keep my tools in an Enduristan Fender Bag, which is fixed at the same position as Yamaha's original metal box. This keeps the center of gravity low and I'm not adding too much unnecessary extra weight just because of a metal case.

Greetings from Germany and have a great New Year's Eve,

Bernd 💙💛🏁🤛🏼

PSX_20221231_214636.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i keep my tools and tubes in small Enduristan base packs strapped to the OEM crash bars.  Fairly low and provide wind protection for my knees.. .

On 1/2/2022 at 9:00 PM, Canzvt said:

I did EXACTLY this set-up. Take it offroad, and it will be gone. Good for highway use though.

Are you saying a system like this, as meant to be installed by the manufacturer who makes both the rack and the tube, isn't off-road compatible? 😬

20230103_194832.jpg.0256dd03900256e26e086935e0b2b1a0.jpg

Edited by DT675

Yep! Mine lasted about 2 days (600kms) of gravel forest service roads. The top tab (by the cap) broke off and I caught it just before the bottom one was about to let go and therefore loose the tube and my tools. The way you mounted yours it will fail guaranteed if you put any weight in it. I think the product it is a great idea, but should be weight limited in my estimation to about 1lb. I had my full tool roll in there that weighs just over 3 lbs. I will be refitting it in the next couple of months with a full wrap around loop close to the cap that should make it MUCH more durable.

If you want to use their mounting system, either limit the weight, mount it fully vertical, or mount it horizontal with the tabs under the tube. Otherwise, keep a spare set of whatever you have in there, as you might need it later...

• Haha 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...