Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

AZ trails

AZJW

• Moderators

Forgot to edit this one from last summer, but with lousy weather outside, figured I'd get it done.  Makes me miss those hot summer days right about now.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJW 15, or 16 tooth front sprocket?

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

15T. Stock gearing, but a Tall RallZ knobby on the rear. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 1/16/2023 at 9:44 PM, AZJW said:

Forgot to edit this one from last summer, but with lousy weather outside, figured I'd get it done.  Makes me miss those hot summer days right about now.

Those Rallz rears do get a bit hard towards end of life even if they have some tread left. I ran into the same thing running up Imogene in CO on an old one in the dry loose rocks. Just didn't want to bite much.  Looked up Mt Union out of curiosity. I don't think I got that far SW of Flagstaff on my way back east last time I was out that way.  Might have to put it on the list if I get out that way again. The terrain reminds me a bit of Mt Taylor and the Zunis around Grants NM. 

• Moderators

@Windblown Until proven otherwise,  I do believe AZ was at the top of the Creators list as a rock depository!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This video was actually shot in California last weekend while out visiting our son.  Glorious weather for late January.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 5:46 PM, AZJW said:

New state, New trails. Found this little gem about 15 minutes from the house.  Steeper in spots than it looks, but the T7 torque profile was made for this stuff, didn't even come close to stalling it once!

@AZJWThat type of trail was my fun 10 years ago on my Honda XR250, now at 71 I prefer the mild and scenic forest roads where I only use my technical skills to see what is coming up and then TURN AROUND.  Glad you are having that much fun. Winter in AZ is awesome.  It looks like you don't carry much "trail repair" gear. is that the case or do you have it all hiding around the bike?

• Moderators
9 hours ago, NeilW said:

That type of trail was my fun 10 years ago on my Honda XR250, now at 71 I prefer the mild and scenic forest roads where I only use my technical skills to see what is coming up and then TURN AROUND.  Glad you are having that much fun. Winter in AZ is awesome.  It looks like you don't carry much "trail repair" gear. is that the case or do you have it all hiding around the bike?

Neil,

I've got trailside repair gear stuffed all over the bike.  My philosophy had been " if you carry it, you won't need it" for years, but have realized that getting older makes picking up dropped bikes a bit tougher so I stripped 15 lbs of top weight from my Beta dirt bike and have pared down the stuff I carry on the T7.  It's oft discussed, especially in dirt bike riding circles that groups should farm out the carrying of repair items so as to not load down our bikes unnecessarily.  A recent trail ride drove that point home when our group of 5 riders stopped to change a front flat and the group produced 5 tubes, 3 patch kits, 9 tire irons, 3 hand pumps and 1 compressor!  

I bought a digital scale and went on a mission to strip all the extra weight off my bikes as possible  and pre- coordinate with others when hitting the trail to avoid duplication.

Here's where all that stuff is " stuffed" which has a lower CG than strapping it on top of the seat or putting it in a top case. 

20221212_082639.jpg.7b9a6735bbedea150611a2c4c19a58b5.jpg

20230205_063139.jpg.2b76dfaec45ffb0804d65c168d161b68.jpg

20230205_063200.jpg.4cbb18a0f1cdbf69786e4a2496fcff1d.jpg

20230205_063756.jpg.c97850eca6ac5442572e7db2be32488a.jpg20230205_064249.jpg.c64b17582c8489f95e1eb5ac5271a671.jpg

• Like 3

I like the idea of spreading the items between different bike but i ride often alone.
When DHL finally manage to deliver my rally seat (the driver couldn't find my house and it was send back, i live in a residential area) then i will see what i could stash there to reduce the size of my fatty tool rol.
I don't really like having stuff there because i have to take my bags off to get the seat off but the things you hope you'll never need are probably not needed very often.

20 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I like the idea of spreading the items between different bike but i ride often alone.
When DHL finally manage to deliver my rally seat (the driver couldn't find my house and it was send back, i live in a residential area) then i will see what i could stash there to reduce the size of my fatty tool rol.
I don't really like having stuff there because i have to take my bags off to get the seat off but the things you hope you'll never need are probably not needed very often.

Still wondering how this could have happened. I found your house IMMEDIATELY when we met last year. Nowadays, there's a cool tool called Google Maps. Even DHL drivers should be able to use it.

But don't expect too much additional space from the rally seat. It's not like double space or so. Of course, sometimes it's only millimeters which decide between "fits easily" and "no way it's gonna fit".

I like the idea of storing stuff behind the side panels - especially tubes or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

Neil,

I've got trailside repair gear stuffed all over the bike.  My philosophy had been " if you carry it, you won't need it" for years, but have realized that getting older makes picking up dropped bikes a bit tougher so I stripped 15 lbs of top weight from my Beta dirt bike and have pared down the stuff I carry on the T7.  It's oft discussed, especially in dirt bike riding circles that groups should farm out the carrying of repair items so as to not load down our bikes unnecessarily.  A recent trail ride drove that point home when our group of 5 riders stopped to change a front flat and the group produced 5 tubes, 3 patch kits, 9 tire irons, 3 hand pumps and 1 compressor!  

I bought a digital scale and went on a mission to strip all the extra weight off my bikes as possible  and pre- coordinate with others when hitting the trail to avoid duplication.

Here's where all that stuff is " stuffed" which has a lower CG than strapping it on top of the seat or putting it in a top case. 

20221212_082639.jpg.7b9a6735bbedea150611a2c4c19a58b5.jpg

20230205_063139.jpg.2b76dfaec45ffb0804d65c168d161b68.jpg

20230205_063200.jpg.4cbb18a0f1cdbf69786e4a2496fcff1d.jpg

20230205_063756.jpg.c97850eca6ac5442572e7db2be32488a.jpg20230205_064249.jpg.c64b17582c8489f95e1eb5ac5271a671.jpg

@AZJWthanks for this share. I think many will benefit from your experience.   For me it would be “now where did I hide my slime air pump ?”

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Local ride today with a buddy who likes to "surprise" me with stuff that is better done on a dirt bike.  His pat answer is " it's not too bad" and both times out there I've almost biffed the T7 in a ditch.  I should've anticipated his route selection and not topped off the tank before heading out there.  It's all good, but next time the dirt bike gets the nod. Sorry for the horrible audio and lack of image stabilization, video is from my hard mount dash cam which has the sole purpose of recording idiots cutting me off in traffic so dirt excursions aren't the best on this camera.

• Like 3

Anybody here do the AZ BDR? A group of us (all 690's and my lonely T7) are coming down from the great white north to spend a couple of weeks going from the Mexico border up to Moab on the BDR in early May. Should be a great trip.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Moderators

@Canzvt I'd be interested in joining your group for a portion of that. We need to ping @e010584 for some trail conditions intel as that's in his backyard. Let me know when you have some firm dates and I'll see if it'll work with my calendar. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Canzvt I'd be interested in joining your group for a portion of that. We need to ping @e010584 for some trail conditions intel as that's in his backyard. Let me know when you have some firm dates and I'll see if it'll work with my calendar. 

Sure. Plan is to leave Edmonton on May 6th. It will take the better part of 2 days to get there. Probably drop the truck/trailer in Flagstaff, and ride to the start. Probably May 8th. I'll know more closer to the end of the month.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Sure. Plan is to leave Edmonton on May 6th. It will take the better part of 2 days to get there. Probably drop the truck/trailer in Flagstaff, and ride to the start. Probably May 8th. I'll know more closer to the end of the month.

Section 4 still needing to thaw a bit, but all good on the other sections as I understand.  Hooking up with another Canadian (eh) coming through early next month to show him some of the other sites along the way (Sierra Ancha Ruins, Cherry Box, Cunningham Falls, etc.), but always up for an excuse to ride with others and show off how good we have it in AZ (https://www.facebook.com/groups/rideazbdr.)

Edited by e010584

7 minutes ago, e010584 said:

Section 4 still needing to thaw a bit, but all good on the other sections as I understand.  Hooking up with another Canadian (eh) coming through early next month to show him some of the other sites along the way (Sierra Ancha Ruins, Cherry Box, Cunningham Falls, etc.), but always up for an excuse to ride with others and show off how good we have it in AZ (https://www.facebook.com/groups/rideazbdr.)

Thanks for the info. That goes along with what we have been hearing as well. Original plan was to be there now until the end of the month, but a buddy of mine in Yuma said we better hold back for a bit. Really looking forward to it as I missed the CABDR last year with this group as I thought work was more important!!! 😣 NOT! Won't miss this year. I'll keep in touch.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Testing out my new drone today with #2 son at the controls.  Watching ARiemann1 on YT has inspired me to actually practice stuff on my T7 rather than just going out and hammering the throttle every chance I get.  My form obviously needs work as the video doesn't lie and actually helps me see what I need to work on.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, AZJW said:

Testing out my new drone today with #2 son at the controls.  Watching ARiemann1 on YT has inspired me to actually practice stuff on my T7 rather than just going out and hammering the throttle every chance I get.  My form obviously needs work as the video doesn't lie and actually helps me see what I need to work on.

I didn't realize how helpful it was to watch yourself until recently. Even better with a drone where you can keep the same camera position!

advgoats.com

14 minutes ago, random1781 said:

I didn't realize how helpful it was to watch yourself until recently. Even better with a drone where you can keep the same camera position!

Didn't the Director remind you to never look at the camera 🙂

• Haha 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, random1781 said:

Unfortunately looking at my skills on video reminds me of the line from a Toby Keith song " I'm as good once, as I ever was"!

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

Unfortunately looking at my skills on video reminds me of the line from a Toby Keith song " I'm as good once, as I ever was"!

Love that song. Totally relatable. Have you seen Pol’s outtakes?  He doesn’t always make those amazing jumps the first time!

• Moderators

Yes Neil, I have. I keep thinking to myself if he was like me in his late 60's with arthritic hands and a bad knee, he just might dial it back a bit! 😀

• Haha 1

Ready to go!

Well, not quite... have a few parts missing. But soon!

PXL_20230423_213409878.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the plans are final - kinda. Moab on Sunday night, ride Moab for a day (without gear) to get ride of the Canadian winter blues, then off to AZ for 10 days of on/off-road bliss! Probably hit the BDR on Wednesday/Thursday. Can't wait!

• Like 1