Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 charcoal canister removal

LateApex

On 6/18/2021 at 5:03 PM, Hibobb said:

I have been watching this post with great interest. I do not have my bike yet so I cannot speak from experience, but a "Hot Start" issue is worrisome. I can follow the logic in the thinking, hopefully this modification is actually helpful and not just a placebo.

No doubt that removing crap and clearing space around the engine is always good for cooling.

Removing weight... I think the greater problem lays with my waistline.

Amen. 😁never a truer word. 

• Like 1

Anyone in Australia thinking of doing or has done this mod might want to think again, if you get the right police officer especially from the Traffic Operations Group who are qualified mechanics trained to sniff out such things, the EPA fine is ridiculous, we are talking around the $22,000 mark for each modification.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
On 4/1/2022 at 12:11 AM, Yasenia said:

That is such an amazing idea. My only concern is that it doesn't looking like is water proof. I ride rain or shine and it seems that the cover is just over the end of the tool box. If he designed it in a way to keep water out that would be great. Tools don't do well when they get wet. They can rust really fast. May be add some rubber seals all around the edge to create a seal. It would have to be some good rubber that doesn't get hard and brittle with the heat from the engine. I would LOVE to get one!

@Yasenia. Pull that Canister and replace it with a 2" piece of PVC about 9" long. Cap one end and get an Oatley plug for the access end and you've got your waterproof tool storage.  I carry my tire irons, 3/8" ratchet,  extension and plug socket in mine.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

9 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Yasenia. Pull that Canister and replace it with a 2" piece of PVC about 9" long. Cap one end and get an Oatley plug for the access end and you've got your waterproof tool storage.  I carry my tire irons, 3/8" ratchet,  extension and plug socket in mine.  

Interesting!

If you spray paint the PVC pipe and Oakley plug black, there won’t be any need for a lock. No one is ever going to realize there is even a tool tube there. It’s just going to look like some part of the motor. 
Putting a lock on it would only draw someone’s attention to it.  Especially since the entire tube could just be pulled out of the rubber sleeve. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I used a combination cable lock to help keep the honest people honest.  This is on my tool tube holding my DirtNapper.

20210608_130114.jpg

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, Charles De Mar said:

Can someone explain what the advantages to this mod other than increasing emissions?

Did the removal yesterday over a 6-pack of Coors Beer. As easy as rolling the rig down a Louisiana highway.

Got me 20 extra ponies, a bunch of torque, no more popping exhaust, throttle control is like my Quadrajet and its now streamlined like my '77 'Bird...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Forget to mention, you can stick a big fat Texarkana Burrito in that hole to fill yer gut at your next watering hole!

Keep 'em rolling!

- Cledus

• 1 month later...

Has any of you fella's given it any thought about moving that ugly hot water bottle off them beautiful jugs of this bike?

A coolant overflow bottle relocation sure would make this awfully clean lookin' bike a bit cleaner....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2022 at 10:52 PM, andy74rc said:

Just a note on 2021 models. There's an EVAP solenoid valve added in the system, mounted on top right side of the fairing (looking from the back to front). Procedure is the same. Other than choosing to remove the tubing and 1) leaving the valve attached to the connector, 2) simply removing the valve too, 3) removing the valve and making a dummy load to be attached to the connector.

Thank you for that info regarding 2021 bikes. I just removed cannister, and all the hoses. I left solenoid valve plugged in connector for now. Do you know if simply removing it brings any error code on dash? Or do I have to make a dummy load? 

Edited by blazoPL

On 10/8/2022 at 4:41 AM, blazoPL said:

Thank you for that info regarding 2021 bikes. I just removed cannister, and all the hoses. I left solenoid valve plugged in connector for now. Do you know if simply removing it brings any error code on dash? Or do I have to make a dummy load? 

Removing the solenoid will create an error code. Just leave it plugged in. It won’t know any difference and the weight savings making a load plug are negligible at best.

Ive had mine off for 10k miles now. The only result has been no more hard starting.

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2022 at 7:41 PM, blazoPL said:

Just wanted to update to my previous question: 

Regarding solenoid valve, no need to leave it. I deleted charcoal canister with the solenoid valve. And plugged 2w resistor straight to a valve connector and taped it.

I have no errors on dash. You just need to measure resistance of that valve, if I remember correctly it was sth like 22ohms. 

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't the line that runs from the tank to the canister thing the vent line? Wouldn't having it ran directly down to the chain guard location then enable it to suck water into the tank while fording, exactly the way fuel transfers from the Camel Aux tank?
I am going to be taking off my cannister off soon and just thought about this possibility. One of the dirt roads I like to ride crosses the Tallulah River, which can get a bit deep after some rain...

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

@PNGL you got me thinking...

Cory starts talking about the vent at around 22:00 of his install video.

He talks about the stock one-way valve, but I think it is better called a tip-over valve.

Maybe you can just route the vent (by-passing the canister) into the airbox? I think I would keep the tip-over valve somewhere in your loop.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 1 month later...

Can i ask what do ye do with rubber holder once canister is out?

Looks be stator and starter off to remove it without damaging it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john_aero said:

Can i ask what do ye do with rubber holder once canister is out?

Looks be stator and starter off to remove it without damaging it

I just ripped mine off. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjepps72 said:

I just ripped mine off. 

just like any old rubber hahah

Might just do the same as like having the rear of engine open and less chance of crap and muck getting stuck 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Anyone deleted the charcoal canister and still have problems with a hot start?  I had my bike parked in the sun on a 94 degree day and it would not start.  I have the Acerbis 6 gallon tank (no venting) and loosened the gas cap to make sure there was no pressure in the tank, but didn't matter.  Rolled it into the shade, let it sit for 15 minutes, and it fired right up.  Would have been a bigger problem if there didn't happen to be a nice tree nearby.