Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Packing food and water for overnight.

DT675

Anyone have any issues with wild animals and food (overnight)?  Or is the key to just make sure any and all food is in sealed type containers? 

One of the reasons of my concerns with water is i get dehydrated easily and usually well before others do. So water is always on the top of my mind. 

• Moderators

@DT675 A dry bag on a long rope tossed over a high tree branch works or something like a Bear Vault.  I've used both,  but the Bear Vault is easier if your soft bags will accommodate one.

BV500.jpg

Head out for a trip into Yosemite or Denali National Park with your food safe and secure in the Bear Vault BV500 Bear Resistant Food Canister. This large-capacity container's 700 cubic inch interior stashes enough supplies for...

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Nice, that looks good. 

Hey i was looking at your list and noticed you only have a 21” tube? 

Ever have any issue with that Mosko top bag not staying in place? 

Edited by DT675

Chairs:   I have 2 of the REI versions of the light chair, and they've held up.

18 hours ago, TeabagInsurance said:

I have yet to go moto camping, but I expect I will pack similarly to when I go back country backpacking. Is there going to be a fresh water stream near where you are? I generally only bring 1-2L of water for "emergencies" and cook with nearby stream water and use it to fill my LifeStraw bottle for regular drinking. For food, I tend to pack oatmeal, instant noodles, or dehydrated meals if I'm feeling wealthy. Throw in some jerky, nuts, etc. I don't bring a cooler or anything cold. If there is a stream nearby, leave your drinks in the shade in the stream and they'll keep cool enough. It might not be necessary to pack as light as I would, but I figure the lighter the better. I don't want my bike to be a 600lbs mountain on wheels.

Good stuff. Their usually is a stream crossing every so often everywhere I've gone. The Lifestraw bottle looks like a good idea. 

Alite Monarch chair is a little unconventional (you balance on just 2 legs), but surprisingly comfortable, compact and light. The 2 legs mean that you can change position which is great for the muscles and non- muscles after a day in the saddle.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DT675 said:

Nice, that look good. 

Hey i was looking at your list and noticed you only have a 21” tube? 

Ever have any issue with that Mosko top bag not staying in place? 

Yes, I just carry a 21" Tube, which saves space & weight and works in the rear if needed.  The top bag was unusually high on that particular trip due to a 1 gal. Rotopax mounted on a rack underneath.  I ended up not needing the fuel, but did manage to overload and break my rack in 2 places.  So... the Rotopax was removed from the post ride inventory.   Most will tell you, the best way to figure out your pack list is after you return home. 😉

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I also have a water filter. I recognize my camping destinations never bear the risk of running out of water: Luxembourg, Belgium, Germany, Scotland, Norway... not commonly known for their deserts. So I bring a filter and a Camelbak and I never had any issues.

I have a Katadyn Vario filter which I like very much.

Edited by qInvention
  • Like 2

So this is my final iteration. Went out for a short test ride tonight. I was pleased that everything seemed to stay put.  

The side bags are the Tusk  Excursion @ 15L apiece. Since this is the 1st time I’ve done something like this, I researched like crazy to figure out the perfect system “for me”. I haven’t even been out on the 1st trip yet and I already want a re-do! Lol. I’ll manage with this, for this year.  But for next year I’m thinking of selling this Tusk Excursion and instead  getting the Tusk Highland @ 25L apiece, getting a rear rack, ditching the roto pax and then strapping  the dry bag 180 degrees the other way for some more stability.

I was hoping to not waste money on the wrong equipment.  But it seems that’s exactly what I’m doing.  Oh well, live-ride-and-learn. 

17956B3F-8829-4A64-958C-6D8F40106D97.thumb.jpeg.f9ccfb8060005e2dcc24bcaee2a2373e.jpeg

718DEEAE-1E04-41AA-8E6B-363A8B1AC9C2.thumb.jpeg.0834429f722d9b51e10250de85913169.jpeg

• Like 3

I have been motorcycle camping for years, you probably will never stop buying gear! I'm constantly trying to improve my set-up. As for carrying water the photos show how I carry some water. I use reusable cable ties and attach these collapsible military bottles (ebay) on my crash bars.

I have the Adventurespec side racks and Kriega OS base and bags, I can attach more to the rear of the rack. I run the bags as far forward as possible for mass centralisation. 

20200429_145157.jpg

20200429_145641.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, 1st trip was a success! We did about 600 miles over 2 days.  Even though I aimed for mostly dirt roads, where we went their just wasn’t as much as I hoped. That’s ok. We had a great ride anyway. We got some great views, some really narrow twisting paved roads along with some light dirt roads too. 

Camping went great.  Since we never got off the beaten path too far, food and water weren’t an issue. We learned a few lessons for next time too! 

24BE46CE-08A9-4248-9DCD-9E2E0EC76BE1.jpeg

• Like 5