Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2.5 X 19” front wheel

gone2seed

Just went to Woody’s site and ordered a 19” front.

I don’t ride single trak . Not interested in going The full super moto route either. Will leave a review when I get it installed. 

Will be doing the 4412n and installing  A 110 Anakee adventure. 

I was going to go the Alex route for SM 17/17 but then saw Woody's 19". It could be the happy medium... Did you get a 17" rear or keep the 18"? Adv bikes that come with 19" front usually have a 17" rear, it should rebalance the weight better than 19/18 (but clearly more expensive buying the rear too).

• Like 1

I plan on staying with the 18” back. Should be ok.

I had another punctured tire Monday. (third one this year)

Was on the GS so not a big deal. Pulled the wood screw, installed the stop & go plug, and aired up. On my way in 15 minutes. 

The rim I ordered has the safety bead and will get sealed when it shows up.

• 1 month later...

Rim came today,(not the fly swatter!) Did the spoke nips with silicone. Tape tomorrow, hope it holds air. Let you know.

image.thumb.jpeg.26740c0423e93f37a00cc8e654a9c534.jpegwheel  was on And off so many times this morning I was thinking to go buy A tube. Got one and tried one more time. Changed out the stem, added another layer of 4412n . 

It’s hold air so far. We will see. Woody’s wheels does not garrentee that their  sealing job will last. After this morning I can understand why. (I removed/replaced this tire 5 times!)

Don’t know if it is worth the trouble.  If it seals it will be.

If you are thinking about doing  this with 4411 or 4412 skip the silicone. Tape will not stick.

Edited by gone2seed

Frustration maxed this morning, 

0 pressure , when the going gets tough the tough go fishing. No fish either.

ouch, will install  a tube . 

Damn

That sucks!  Where is the air leaking from?  Spokes or rim?  I can't believe they don't guarantee air leakage for at least the first 10 days or something.  There must be a way to make it work but it's probably a bunch more money.

• Like 1

No LS, this one is on me. I did the back with 4412n and got it right the first time. So, what could go wrong?

Leaked from the spokes. Outex uses little tape tabes to put over the spokes before you tape. I tried using  GE silicone caulk .  The tape won’t stick to it.

So remove the tape, remove the silicone , clean again with acetone. Didn’t scuff it first! So remove the tape , scuff the inside of the rim,acetone, reapply tape . One layer, still loosing air. Remove tire, apply second layer of tape over first. Sealed.

Yea!

This morning pulled the front off the bike, and tried removing rotors. First bolt took way more torque to loosen than  it should have, second one would not budge and stripped out the the 6mm Allen wrench hole. ( Are there any fasteners on this bike that are not over torqued?)  

Decided to go another route. Ordered a set of rotors since the Woodies set up comes with new bolts. So the Mt700 uses the same rotors and there was A set  in LA on Ebay. 

We will see.

Very labor intensive.  But I guess once you get it right, viola.  It's all good maybe.  And I agree the fasteners have to be handled with kid gloves or you're not getting them out.  Good luck on the tubeless work.

• Like 1

Ain’t leaking air now. So, advice to anyone . If doing it yourself.  Buy the 4412 n in two rolls 2” for the back;;1” to seal the front. 50mm and 25mm for anyone metrically handicapped. 

Use A 3m pad to scuff the surface before cleaning the rim with acitone. Gloves? Two layers of the tape.

Should be good the first try.

• Thanks 2

Got a short wet ride in this morning. Good; Loved 🥰 the feed back. Bad ; No speedo or ABS. Am looking into a fix .

29 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Got a short wet ride in this morning. Good; Loved 🥰 the feed back. Bad ; No speedo or ABS. Am looking into a fix .

You'll probably want to chat with @Aleksandar13 who has replacement rings..although he wouldn't know what to do with 19" wheels, he's done 17 and 21. Rally Raid maybe? They might have some ideas for you.

• Like 1

Haan wheels made the hubs. They might have a solution. Don’t care about the ABS brakes. I used to road race. (badly)

Speedo , I was expecting to be off. 

With the speedo error what it is a GPS would make sense.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:42 PM, gone2seed said:

Haan wheels made the hubs. They might have a solution. Don’t care about the ABS brakes. I used to road race. (badly)

Speedo , I was expecting to be off. 

With the speedo error what it is a GPS would make sense.

Sorry to hear the tubless conversion was so frustrating.  But keep us posted how the 19" wheel performs.

Judging by how others have done putting a 19 on the AT, you might expect as well or better on twisties . . . but not as well in the rocks.

The circumference of the tire might not be so different that the stock tone ring and sensor will throw the speedo way off.  Maybe ditto for the ABS, but you probly want to be careful testing that.

Interested in your follow-up.

Just curious, if you had it to do again building a custom wheel . . . would you go with tape and pucky again, or look for a purpose made tubeless rim?

177380102_tubelessmotowheel.JPG.cb361ae356e044874a9f27a7ae5f780d.JPG

:

• Like 1

FWIW, Jeff from Procycle put a 19" on the front of his AT.  Says he did not have to change out the ABS rings and it works fine.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-africa-twin-crf1000l-owners-thread.1112644/page-1259#post-38894345

If the T7 is different, there is probably a workaround so your ododmeter and ABS can still operate.

Edited by one wheel drive

Update.

Fix the speedo and got rid of the Abs error code. On close inspection noticed the gap between the sensor and abs ring was a lot more on the front then the back wheel. Remove wheel ,install washers behind it to decrease gap. Reinstall. Now the sensor is contacting the ring! WTF. Was going to remove the wheel and remove the spacers and said to hell with it for now and used the same size washer between the sensor and its mount. Problem fixed. (If I had to guess it would be that the bearing race on the left side was not seated all the way into the hub the first time it was mounted and the second time I might have been getting A bit irate and gone farm tight on the axle install , seating the bearing.) Or the axle spacers with the new hub are different length?

Speedo error going by the radar speed  indicator signs NYS puts out is 6 mph at 30. 36 shows up as 30 on the radar. So 72 on the speedo would be 60? 

Would Ido it again? Yes. Im retired. What else do I got to do?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 1:58 AM, one wheel drive said:

Sorry to hear the tubless conversion was so frustrating.  But keep us posted how the 19" wheel performs.

Judging by how others have done putting a 19 on the AT, you might expect as well or better on twisties . . . but not as well in the rocks.

The circumference of the tire might not be so different that the stock tone ring and sensor will throw the speedo way off.  Maybe ditto for the ABS, but you probly want to be careful testing that.

Interested in your follow-up.

Just curious, if you had it to do again building a custom wheel . . . would you go with tape and pucky again, or look for a purpose made tubeless rim?

177380102_tubelessmotowheel.JPG.cb361ae356e044874a9f27a7ae5f780d.JPG

:

In a NY minute. One of my other rides is a GSA with tubeless style rims. I had no issues with T7 sealing the back,(maybe because the wider rim  gives ya more room to seal over the spokes?)

Would recommend anyone going to tubeless to get  a rim designed for it.

• Like 1

150 miles or so this morning. Mostly broken up back roads some gravel. Sped up rebound 1/2 turn, feels a bit spongy but it softens the larger bumps. 19” works better for me in this type of riding.

Running Anakee Adventure front and back and they work .Feed back,👍

To admit my shame there is a tube in the front. Ain’t quit yet. Looking for other solution. 

Jeff