Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Totally Disgusted

Darkestarc

Good to hear you got the situation figured out.

Not surprised there wasn't anything in the tool kit to fit the 19mm hex.

My Super Ténéré also needs a 19mm tool.  It may have been mentioned earlier, but the base of certain sparkplug sockets is 19mm. Insert a short extension from the reverse side, and now you have a low cost axle tool. 

Not all sockets allow access from the reverse side for the extension though, so you have to find one that does.

For those that don't have one yet, this is what it looks like:

PXL_20210627_185129272.thumb.jpg.cb16e571b65b36cfcce31a051fcf5b93.jpg

Edited by MCGMB
  • Like 3

I am glad you figured it out. But, that service manager and technician(s) still should get some feedback. Most won't care, but it should not go unsaid. Wrong is wrong.

• Like 2

Especially if you had a wreck where it was proved in a court of law that ABS would have let you avoid/minimize the crash.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

@Darkestarc I read your thread with interest and I'm very happy for you that you were able to sort it out and - most important - can ride now instead of travelling back to the store that sold it to you or have to wait an entire month to have someone else look at it. 

All bikes are always thoroughly checked before delivery and no problems will ever occur, except for when they do. Like the front brake caliper that came lose on my first ride to work... 

You will agree with me that even if you trust your shop, nothing's better than double-checking what someone else has done. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 2:53 PM, MCGMB said:

Good to hear you got the situation figured out.

Not surprised there wasn't anything in the tool kit to fit the 19mm hex.

My Super Ténéré also needs a 19mm tool.  It may have been mentioned earlier, but the base of certain sparkplug sockets is 19mm. Insert a short extension from the reverse side, and now you have a low cost axle tool. 

Not all sockets allow access from the reverse side for the extension though, so you have to find one that does.

For those that don't have one yet, this is what it looks like:

PXL_20210627_185129272.thumb.jpg.cb16e571b65b36cfcce31a051fcf5b93.jpg

Damn, I didn't even think of using the short extension.  I did fit the spark plug socket in there, but couldn't figure out how to turn it.  Kudos you you good sir!

Edited by Darkestarc
  • Like 1

UPDATE.  The manager did email me, apologized, and asked what they can do.  (didn't offer to pick the bike up though..)   I explained what I did and at a minimum I was to be reimbursed for the tools as well as shop rate for R&R of the front wheel.  I just responded to him, so I'll await the reply.   I'm now going over all the bolts required for assembly and checking the torque specs..etc.   

Low and behold, the email that came in right after the dealership one was my Yamaha Vehicle purchase survey!   

I'll wait to see what the dealership response is, but I cannot in good faith not mention it on the survey.

It should be noted Dealers really value those surveys.  

I don't know how it affects them, but when I purchased  a generator and my T7 they were very much interested in getting very high marks on the surveys.   They didn't hold back asking for perfect marks on the survey, so it is important to them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Darkestarc said:

Damn, I didn't even think of using the short extension.  I did fit the spark plug socket in there, but couldn't figure out how to turn it.  Kudos you you good sir!

Thanks, I only regret I didn't join the Forum and respond sooner!

Good luck with the dealer. I *hope* they give you something to smooth out their mistake, like $ credit for T7 accessories...

Well, the manager made good on my request and will be reimbursing me for the cost of the tools plus shop R&R of the front wheel.  It will be going towards my new bash plate.  Check it out, I haven't seen anyone on the forum mention this unit:

Motoes Bash Plate

• Like 6

That's a cool skid plate.  Looks great.  I may have entertained that one, especially if it were black anodized. 

21 hours ago, Darkestarc said:

Well, the manager made good on my request and will be reimbursing me for the cost of the tools plus shop R&R of the front wheel.  It will be going towards my new bash plate.  Check it out, I haven't seen anyone on the forum mention this unit:

Motoes Bash Plate

I like the plastic slide rails. Aluminum plates stick to rock. That’s why I put a plastic skid on the enduro bike. I like the hybrid plates made by tusk. 

tus_20_qui_gli_adv_ski_pla-blk-197534000

The Tusk Quiet-Glide Adventure Skid Plate is constructed using 3/16” thick aluminum shaped to offer ultimate coverage. The aluminum is coupled with a ¼”...

• 3 months later...

Just to confirm that the Front ABS is used for the speedometer reading, as per the Yamaha Operators Manual.

image.thumb.png.149a4217635119516bda269f37bb8264.png