Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Wind & Noise Management

prowlnS10

@jdub53 Thank you for the spoiler recommendation. I purchased the same unit from Amazon and it worked wonderfully. I no longer have any buffeting issues at highway speed. I also don't get nearly as many bug splats on my visor. The bugs are all hitting the spoiler instead 🙂. For reference to others I'm 5'9". I think this is the best $28 addition you can make to the bike. 20211029_154529.thumb.jpg.ef42a283a46df4be87ff0ef477eb04c5.jpg

• Like 3

This information is exactly what I was looking for. Buffeting and wind noise make the bluetooth speakers useless over 45 on my ride, but ducking down just 7 or 8 inches greatly helps.

As a cost first approach, I am going with a universal clip on to see if that will solve the issue well enough for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7YBB3N

If this doesn't get it, I'll likely get a PUIG after market larger screen and place the clip onto it, and see if that works. $30 first, then $120 more if needed.

I love this forum, helps me make better informed decisions on my ride and farkles. 

• Like 1

I also found this windscreen, however they blur out the logo on the images. I suspect they don't have rights for the log placed on these.

https://www.amazon.com/YLHAPPY-Motorcycle-Accessories-Windshield-Windscreen/dp/B096XZ8J5J

I don't think I am going with these, but a color match option was interesting and worth a share. 

Has anyone used the Vstream sport or sport/touring windscreen on their T7?

National Cycle's VStream® Windscreens have turned the motorcycle windscreen world upside down -- literally! The patented, unique inverted "V" profile creates a quiet and comfortable riding experience unequalled by...

National Cycle's VStream® Windscreens have turned the motorcycle windscreen world upside down -- literally! The patented, unique inverted "V" profile creates a quiet and comfortable riding experience unequalled by...

Based on this review it seems like it might be a decent solution 

any feedback on either of these models?

• 4 months later...
Custom Side deflectors for Skydmarx Windscreen

This is my final project to optimize wind management for my set-up & riding by designing 3 mm clear plexiglass side deflectors to integrate with the Skydmarx windscreen to manage the spillover airflow on the sides which is an area that the T7 needs improvement with most windscreens.  Last years mock-up templates made from white board really aided creation of a large still air pocket in front of the rider & noticeably reduced up draft from the forks that was directed under my helmet/chin area creating noise. There are lots of associated pieces to integrate with this custom design & it is not directly transferable to T7s with other accessories without modifications, but may provide an overall direction for others to adapt to their bike if desired: Skydmarx XL windscreen cut down w/the cut-off piece mounted with MRA X-Creen adjustable hardware to accommodate hwy & off-road heights, custom design laminar flow plate, T7 Rally adjustable windscreen mounts, PowerBronze side deflectors & Barkbuster hand guards w/Storm guards. Laminar flow has been incorporated into most of the surfaces to equalize air pressure/speed on inner/outer surfaces.  The new fixed position side pieces attach via the 4 oem windscreen/T7 Rally adjustable mount bolts, were shaped via a heat gun & allow for independent height adjustment of the windscreen. The material was cut using a band saw with corners hand filed & edges buffed out with a sponge sanding block & added clear rubber spot dots (used for cabinet door soft stops) to prevent chaffing/rubbing where the lower outer edge of the deflector mates with the PowerBronze deflectors.  Final observations/review will have to wait until the bike is insured in April, but riding last year with the mock-up prototypes taped on provided a dramatically improved riding experience approaching full size touring bike wind/management coverage. block.  Final observations/review will have to wait until the bike is insured in April, but riding last year with the mock-up prototypes taped on provided a dramatically improved riding experience approaching full size touring bike wind/management coverage.

At 187 cm ( 6' 1.5") with a tall upper body I set the windscreen at the mid-point of height adjustment with 45 mm (1.75") remaining adjustment range up & down which pushes the air flow over my helmet while allowing me to look over the windscreen spoiler when set in the high position (my seat has approx 2.45 cm or 1" of added foam that compresses to about 1/2 of that height.  Here is the link to my full wind management journey in chronological order 

Updated Ride Review Aug 2022 after 10 day 3,800 km Trip

My preferred set-up is with the spoiler in the low position & the windscreen raised about 2/3 of the travel of the T7 Rally adjusters, which enlarges the gap at the bottom of the windscreen allowing more air increasing laminar flow to push the air flow over my head if I slouch slightly & provides better sight lines + provides some wind to cool my face if I sit upright...for rain & cold riding I prefer the spoiler in the high position with the windscreen lowered for maximum coverage.

20220303_205211a.jpg

20220303_205240b.jpg

20220303_205302c.jpg

20220305_190135j.jpg

20220305_190205k.jpg

20220305_193834l.jpg

20220305_193858m.jpg

20220305_193915n.jpg

20220305_193952o.jpg

20220305_194212q.thumb.jpg.883d55df05eae09ca5cb59860ef16f29.jpg

20220308_225228.thumb.jpg.d1852ebf53712f4c8cb9969084524112.jpg

20220308_225338.thumb.jpg.8ce9636c773c206bf225c0e6fc13e743.jpg

20220308_225415.thumb.jpg.d9ebf67a09dd2bc88e888cccb9df1181.jpg

20220308_225251.thumb.jpg.88e1955e8c33fb452b1d39900f97ad91.jpg

20220305_194212q.jpg

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 4

I am 6'2" and I have noticed some buffeting also. I have tried the sliders to extend the screen up. It didn't work for me. It actually increased the buffeting.

While riding I also noticed that if I sit up really straight or stand up just a little my head is no longer in the turbulent air from the screen. This gave me the suggestion that the screen should not be taller, but smaller! I now have bought a screen that is a little lower. Will try it out as soon as I can.

Just my 2cents.

Edited by Chris1974
  • Like 2

While I'm not a tall rider, 5'8ish, I did have a lot of turbulent air in the top of my helmet. It was noticeable even on a non-peaked helmet. I ordered powerbronze's sport screen and it made a big  difference. If you're expecting an air free pocket... then no it's not for you. But the air I'm being hit with is completely clean and no longer vibrating my head all around

• Like 2

• prowlnS10 changed the title to T7 Wind & Noise Management

MadStad is the only manufacturer to incorporate a laminar flow plate into their adjustable mounting hardware with their Adjustable Windscreen System for the T7.  This should make an outstanding start for anyone seeking improved wind, noise, buffeting management combining most of the elements desired for the T7: wider, taller & better shaped windscreen, adjustable height & angle + integrated laminar flow plate that adds rigidity to the oem windscreen mount.

Tenere700sideviewfullbike_1024x1024@2x.thumb.jpg.e88f91b347cdc28609e2547efc322738.jpg

Tenere700sideview_1024x1024@2x.thumb.jpg.966e21aa0e7e4480869ddcdc588acff8.jpg

tenere700clear_1024x1024@2x.thumb.jpg.fe8182ed8d153bd461a790c37629d7dc.jpg

tenere700LightGray_1024x1024@2x.thumb.jpg.fd819ba3b0fb2927a5f40804af00bcf3.jpg

BehindCLoseup_1024x1024@2x.thumb.jpg.046d588e07d6feb2c9f55cf78c86e5ca.jpg

• Like 5

I just bought one. It makes a real difference on the highway. I bought the recommended for my height 16". It is fine on the highway, but doesn't go low enough for off road. I just ordered the new 14".

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 3:56 AM, JRS700 said:

I just bought one. It makes a real difference on the highway. I bought the recommended for my height 16". It is fine on the highway, but doesn't go low enough for off road. I just ordered the new 14".

@JRS700: could you link me to that 14"? Can't seem to find it on their website (only 16 and up)

Sorry I'm slow answering you but I have been out of the country. It is new and not on the website. Contact customer support and they will give you the information on ordering one. They will also make a custom one if you need it.

On 3/6/2022 at 2:43 AM, prowlnS10 said:

That's one elaborate windshield.  Gotta give you props for the development process.

This may have been easier:

Slipstreamer Vetter Shield Tall Clear W/Har Dware - S-174

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

For me the adjustable brackets are perfect. I hate the idea if having a fixed tall screen. In the summer in slow traffic you cook. In the summer if I'll be doing a lot of heavy traffic I can put it all the way down and have enough wind to keep my girls cool. If I am depending more time on the freeway a bit above midway up is good for me.

As to noise, I wear ear plugs. Some say that they can't hear the traffic. I can't understand that. Once you get used to them there is no going back. Additionally,  

situational awareness increases.

people who can't understand what I am talking about, Next time you are in nature, like a forest, beach (away from people and cars), sit down and relax as if you were about to meditate. Look around and notice has much as you can. Then close you eyes. Your hearing sense becomes very acute. it's as if someone turned up the volume. You can hear things you didn't hear before. Not you didn't hear it, you ignored it.

I have been riding for 34 years, I have never crashed or fallen. I've had "close" calls no more 4 times in those years. I still hear more than enough to hear things around me, like sirens. But it has tremendously helped me wear situational awareness to the point that I am able to predict to a very high degree what other around me are about to do. To me it has become like a game.

I think that most riders have a similar level of awareness, may be mot as refined, but enough to be much safer out on the roads. As a medic for 10 years and a patrol officer of four now, I have been to enough motorcycle and car accidents in which people tell me, "I know he was going to pull out of the drive way!" Well, then why didn't you do something about it? Nothing worst than "knowing" but not doing anything about it.

To me earplugs are as important as a helmet and other protective equipment. People can chose not to wear them, but your hearing will suffer sooner or later to the point of not being able to hear. Which could become worst than wearing earplugs.

• Like 5

On 11/4/2021 at 1:26 AM, Butter said:

@jdub53 Thank you for the spoiler recommendation. I purchased the same unit from Amazon and it worked wonderfully. I no longer have any buffeting issues at highway speed. I also don't get nearly as many bug splats on my visor. The bugs are all hitting the spoiler instead 🙂. For reference to others I'm 5'9". I think this is the best $28 addition you can make to the bike.

I also have this one, and have found it to reduce the wind noise significantly. I'm 185 cm - just a tad over 6 feet, and with 32' inseam. But I also have a seat Concepts Tall Comfort (which indeed improves the sitting comfort on longer rides). Before I mounted the SC the wind noise was quite OK, but hings worsened with the higher seat. This spoiler then helped a lot - so now all good for longer stints on the slab (I have previously ridden 7000 kilometers in 7 days on my older 660 Tenere). 🙂

Edited by Chev.
  • Like 1

I installed a Puig awhile back...

puig.jpg.71b61c8b7ca537dc8aeef488aa024910.jpg

Now that I have about 500mi. of highway use I thought I would give you my two cents, although it has been said at that rate I am over charging.

I am very pleased with this windscreen, my everyday helmet is modular and like all modulars it is noisy, the Puig has greatly improved the buffeting and the noise reduction is remarkable. After 500mi. of highway at varying speeds I have yet to receive the first bug on my helmets face shield and being springtime that is remarkable. 

I am 6' tall and this upgrade has worked out very well.

• Like 3

For my use, the Ten is a road bike, really - although, I do appreciate the the ability to go quite comfortably on all kinds of roads. When crossing Europe on bigger roads it now works well to do hours at 90-100 mph (150-160 kmh). - Not bad at all for this kind of bike, I think!

Thanks for your advice, guys!

Edited by Chev.

• 1 month later...

My vote goes to Madstad.  Have wasted a lot of time n $ over the years on many brands of screens. Once I discovered Madstad, all my bikes get Madstad, as soon as they offer one. As others have stated, Madstad knows exactly how to design a screen that truly works. Their secret is allowing airflow under screen to eliminate buffet causing vacuum behind screen. Any screen that is too closed off and doesn't allow pressure relief is likely going to be a bummer!

On 3/6/2022 at 3:43 AM, prowlnS10 said:

Must take 45 minutes just to clean the bugs off this thing!

Edited by Hibobb
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Hi, I have a kind of rhythmic low level whining noise around 60-70km/h and then again more annoying noise at exactly 105km/h or more. If I go faster it becomes a higher frequency continuous whine but decrease in decibels. If you move you body forward from your normal sitting position to lean over the tank you mostly hear engine noise. 

I was convinced it was related to my tires/tyres, I have the standard scorpion-rally-str tires/tyres, but now I am doubting. Can it be a wind buffeting issue?

regards Wil

On 7/11/2022 at 2:12 PM, Will said:

Hi, I have a kind of rhythmic low level whining noise around 60-70km/h and then again more annoying noise at exactly 105km/h or more. If I go faster it becomes a higher frequency continuous whine but decrease in decibels. If you move you body forward from your normal sitting position to lean over the tank you mostly hear engine noise. 

I was convinced it was related to my tires/tyres, I have the standard scorpion-rally-str tires/tyres, but now I am doubting. Can it be a wind buffeting issue?

regards Wil

Might be the chain roller. Buffeting sound is like opening a car window at high speed.

I tried the Puig deflector and it did very little for eliminating  buffeting, I might try the cheap Amazon one.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone fitted the world raid screen and air deflectors yet? I was looking at one in the shop and reckon the screen will fit easily. Maybe reshaping a little. It spreads the air wider so might actually miss my helmet.   Not 100% about the deflectors though. Think the mounting holes look the same but not sure about the rear. We need someone with both nearby to try a swap. 
in the middle of cutting down my puig touring screen ( screen number three) at present. Was thinking of taking it down to sports height while still keeping the width somehow. Shortened it 2 inches first and cut the front gap out. Still shite. 
might even try the madstad tilt on a sports screen or the WR. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dougie said:

Anyone fitted the world raid screen and air deflectors yet? I was looking at one in the shop and reckon the screen will fit easily. Maybe reshaping a little. It spreads the air wider so might actually miss my helmet.   Not 100% about the deflectors though. Think the mounting holes look the same but not sure about the rear. We need someone with both nearby to try a swap. 
in the middle of cutting down my puig touring screen ( screen number three) at present. Was thinking of taking it down to sports height while still keeping the width somehow. Shortened it 2 inches first and cut the front gap out. Still shite. 
might even try the madstad tilt on a sports screen or the WR. 

I’m sure these is a post on it Doug

On 7/31/2022 at 7:56 PM, Lewie said:

I’m sure these is a post on it Doug

Can’t find one, I may have to buy a fourth screen and see  😁🍺