Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Wind & Noise Management

prowlnS10

• Moderators

@Endopotential Like you and @jdub53 I too have ( had) a disdain for the look of a spoiler riding high up, on top of a windscreen.  I went the adjuster route, but I too didn't realize any real improvement from it. The spoiler was cheap, effective and hasn't been an issue as far as vision. For the record, I'm 6'1" and having the spoiler on for about 18 months, I hardly even notice it ( visually), but certainly would notice if it wasn't there.

20210817_140107.jpg.74d918415de861a9edd1df4092314678.jpg

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

8 hours ago, Endopotential said:

I've been riding for over 6 years, but they've all been sport bikes with minimal windscreens.

I'm about 5'10".  Just got the height adjuster for my Tenere's windscreen but at its highest position the top interferes with my sight line.  Kinda like what I imagine wearing bifocals would look like.  There's also some slight distortion looking through that plastic.

Is this something you all just get used to?  I can't imagine adding those additional spoilers and other farkles on top of it all.

I'm also 5-10 and have an adjuster. I found that the best setting was somewhere in the middle of the full range. Too high and wind comes in between the gap or around the sides. I've seen pretty significant improvement. Not perfect, but better than stock.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 11:25 AM, Hollybrook said:

Just a quick follow up to my previous post about the wider screen (~$30) that would not stay in position.   I switched to the smaller version using the original mounts and my issues are fixed. 

I recently ran into the same issue with the smaller screen.  At about 80mph passing a pickup truck, the screen tilted on its own again.  After that, I could not get it to stay in place.

Thinking a Puig Multi-Adjustable Visor 2.0 might be a good replacement because the mounts are spaced the same, I bought one.  The way the mounts are designed, they will not stay in place with just a little pressure.  At speed, there is no way the screen will stay in place.  They would work fine on a wider windshield, but they have to mount to the edges of the T7 windshield, just like in @jdub53's photos.

Back to the drawing board...

The Amazon screen does exactly what I want it to do, but the mounting hardware is not robust enough.  It is a copy of the $150 MRA X-Creen that supposedly has better quality hardware that can be purchased for $100.   I am having a hard time believing it is that much better!

Edited by Hollybrook

• 3 weeks later...

I had a revelation with the Amazon screen -- if I rotate the windscreen latch down instead of up, it holds much better.  I don't know if this is particular to my individual piece or a result of previous damage, but it seems to be working over a few rides.  In the photo from AZJW just above, he has the latch rotated up, so that seems to be working for him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, Boyca said:

Could someone link me the amazon product @jdub53 and others have mentioned please?

Here you go.

DUILU Motorcycle Windshield Extension , Universal Adjustable Clip-on Windscreen Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector (Clear, Small) https://a.co/d/1gHm3Xg

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 3 weeks later...

I get a sort of 'ripping' turbulent air noise above about 80kph with stock screen. Terrible for your ears after about an hour of riding and for long distance travel which I like to do, its not something I could cope with. It'd leave me deaf...I'm surprised Yamaha released it like they did when everything else is great about the bike. I've been riding for over 40 years and ridden over 30 bikes - from sports to naked to adv to enduro, racing MX and road racing - I can't think of any bike that is noisy as the Tenere in terms of wind noise...It'll make a whole generation of deaf Tenere 700 riders! I tired the adjustable screen fitting but it made no difference for me, in any screen position...that ripping air noise remained. I have an Arai Quantum which is nice and quiet for me on other road bikes so I tried that as a comparison to make sure it wasn't my dirt helmet, and no difference. If I ride along standing up, it's almost completely silent in the clean air - just like a normal naked bike as you'd expect. So rather than go down the route of having some sort of barn door assembly with flaps and slots, I've ordered a short screen; hoping that will make it bearable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi43 said:

I get a sort of 'ripping' turbulent air noise above about 80kph with stock screen. Terrible for your ears after about an hour of riding and for long distance travel which I like to do, its not something I could cope with. It'd leave me deaf...I'm surprised Yamaha released it like they did when everything else is great about the bike. I've been riding for over 40 years and ridden over 30 bikes - from sports to naked to adv to enduro, racing MX and road racing - I can't think of any bike that is noisy as the Tenere in terms of wind noise...It'll make a whole generation of deaf Tenere 700 riders! I tired the adjustable screen fitting but it made no difference for me, in any screen position...that ripping air noise remained. I have an Arai Quantum which is nice and quiet for me on other road bikes so I tried that as a comparison to make sure it wasn't my dirt helmet, and no difference. If I ride along standing up, it's almost completely silent in the clean air - just like a normal naked bike as you'd expect. So rather than go down the route of having some sort of barn door assembly with flaps and slots, I've ordered a short screen; hoping that will make it bearable. 

The simplest solution that sacrifices overall protection is a cut down oem windscreen or shorter one like the PowerBronze Sport when combined with correct laminar flow & perhaps adjustable spoiler (see pic).  The most effective 1 step bolt-on windscreen is likely the Madstad Adjustable Windscreen System, as it is one of the few that addresses laminar flow effectively, is adjustable for angle/height & their proprietary mounting bracket also stiffens the assembly...but is definitely road centric for aesthetics/size (see pic).

The T7 has complicated air management issues, but seems to respond best to improved laminar flow up the inside surface of the windscreen (an easily overlooked component, as most just want a bolt on fix), a better shaped windscreen (less Dakar inspired, more touring focused), an adjustable clip/bolt on spoiler (creates a 2nd level of laminar flow that smooths air flow off the upper edge of both windscreen surfaces pushing the smooth air envelope higher) & proper side wind management minimizing spill over around the sides that draws air up the forks creating noise getting up under the front chin area of the helmet (required custom made side deflectors in addition to bolt on lower wind deflectors options)...my original post at the beginning of this thread covers it in more detail.

Good luck with the shorter windscreen..you should notice an improvement in noise level & air flow in hot weather, but depending on the percentage of hwy droning & cold/inclement weather you will have to determine if acceptable.

img_0283.jpg

Tenere700sideview_1024x1024@2x.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made that DIY "laminar flow" mod from a thin acrylic sheet tucked behind the main one, and it seems to be a wonderful idea.  This is with a stock windscreen raised up about 3 inches.

I can get to about 70mph / 110kph before wind buffetting and noise get to be annoying.  

• Like 1

I noticed a subtle change in airflow after removal of the T7's OEM mirrors when I installed Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards with their integral mirrors last fall.

I've been using a small spoiler on top of the OEM windshield for quite some time which greatly reduced buffeting and noise, and after noticing this airflow change just to experiment I removed the spoiler for a few rides. Although there was still a difference with the spoiler and without while using the HDB items, I found that difference much smaller now and riding with no spoiler was now fairly tolerable for me at speed.

Interesting how many things will change airflow, noise and buffeting on these bikes.

20221109_130153.jpg.68f67a79df1b13366812f9396a53b9c1.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kiwi43 said:

It will help a lot - in my case (Puig sport screen) I'd say it has reduced buffeting by 80%. Still not as quiet as when standing up, but bearable. Anyway, I wear earplugs on any longer / faster ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, shorter screen and earplugs. 
all adv bikes seem to suffer with it though, ktm, bmw, Honda.  Even the new Norden. Narrow vertical screens. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 12:30 AM, AZJW said:

but I too didn't realize any real improvement from it. The spoiler was cheap, effective and hasn't been an issue as far as vision.

20210817_140107.jpg.74d918415de861a9edd1df4092314678.jpg

I've struggled to find the perfect position for this one and have mine quite a bit higher, I'll drop it till the arms are horizontal like you guys have and see if that makes any improvement.  It's ok now, but it could be better.  One great thing about this screen is that you can adjust it on the fly with no tool.  Very cool.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up I fitted a short screen and it’s a big improvement, it made a huge difference for me. Was a bit worried I couldn’t live with it but it’s ok now. It’s probably only a couples of inches shorter but a huge improvement. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kiwi43 said:

Just to follow up I fitted a short screen and it’s a big improvement, it made a huge difference for me. Was a bit worried I couldn’t live with it but it’s ok now. It’s probably only a couples of inches shorter but a huge improvement. 

Glad it works for you, too!

• 1 month later...

What is the shortest / smallest windscreen for a T7?

Is there any product that just covers the back of the LCD without covering much else?

I have a tall / big MRA windscreen that I hate and need to get rid of.

2 hours ago, discoganya said:

Is there any product that just covers the back of the LCD without covering much else?

I cut an aftermarket screen down (ordered wrong one by mistake), WRS, using the available dimensions on the websites etc. It just covers the top crossbar. But on cooler days the wind is still strong with a peaked helmet and pulls your head about. I might try to fit world raid side deflectors next. Came back from a weekend yesterday and was almost deaf. 
I do also have the adjustable brackets which I might put back on. 
try cutting your screen down but keep the extra width ( while still trying to keep it looking good- bikes should) jigsaw, file, glass paper then ultra fine wet and dry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, discoganya said:

I know of Powerbronze and Puig, their shapes differ a bit. Both just cover the crossbar above the LCD. I like my Puig for its clean look. I chose a slightly tinted version.

20230405_121852.jpg.77533c6a3ecc1df33ffaa33bac4ed37d.jpg

20230311_141211.jpg.88a12e8b29584d462d629f233adf2e47.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love my WRS Sport Screen, made a great improvement.

IMG_4370.jpeg

On two occasions I've had the wind whip a packet of cigarettes (I know I know) out the breast pocket of my jacket on the t7. 

I've got screen adjusters and the little side panel things. The wind seems to barrel roll in front of me.

Doesn't bother me though tbh other than occasionally throwing rain drops up at me lol

at 188cm tall (33" inseam or something close to that) I ordered the PowerBronze sportscreen. I think it is the same hight as the Puig one but figured that the batman ears on the PowerBronze may help cut wind.
Short screen was a massive improvement over stock, especially at 80km/h or more. 
Combining this with the rally seat made an even greater improvement, so short screen and tall seat would be my recommendation.
Added bonus that it arguably makes the bike look better compared to low seat and tall screen option.

image0.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, Kiwi43 said:

Which screen model did you go for?

11 hours ago, beakster said:

Which screen model did you go for?

Slipscreen "short" 

IMG_0399.jpeg

Edited by Kiwi43
pic

22 hours ago, NordicT7 said:

at 188cm tall (33" inseam or something close to that) I ordered the PowerBronze sportscreen. I think it is the same hight as the Puig one but figured that the batman ears on the PowerBronze may help cut wind.
Short screen was a massive improvement over stock, especially at 80km/h or more. 
Combining this with the rally seat made an even greater improvement, so short screen and tall seat would be my recommendation.
Added bonus that it arguably makes the bike look better compared to low seat and tall screen option.

image0.jpeg

Exactly my combination too. I'm also 6 ft 2. A massive improvement over stock (seems counter intuitive, but it's not) and looks so much cooler too in my opinion. Cheers 

• Like 1

Best set up for me too but the biggest thing I’ve noticed with the wind in the helmet is  the difference on later helmets maybe for “earpieces” etc. My old helmets were tight on the ears and quiet. Now there’s a gap for the wind (arai tour x4- we’re talking standing behind a jet on afterburner…..great album of course 😉). I’ll be checking out my next helmet very carefully. No peak next either. 

• Like 2