Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Camel 1 Finger Clutch Kit

prowlnS10

Wow, what a difference the 1 finger clutch kit & stronger side stand return spring are!! 

Camel 1 Finger Clutch Kit

A very nicely sorted out kit that dramatically reduces clutch lever effort by approximately 18%, 30% or 37% & increases the clutch friction point by up to 60% depending on which of the 3 cable attachment holes is used. The install video, see below, is detailed & includes correct lever free play adjustment & tips on the impact of the wider friction point for each of the 3 cable attachment holes. I opted for the recommended middle hole which provides a marked reduction in lever pull effort, widened friction point & dramatically improved clutch modulation.  Wow...one of those small changes that equates to very appreciated & desirable results...so much smoother on shifts & easier to modulate...well done Cory 👍

20210628_121855.jpg

20210628_154956.jpg

Camel 1Finger Clutch Kit Installation Video

The Camel return spring is massively stronger (+95%) & larger than the oem spring that eliminates concerns over the side stand bouncing down in rough terrain & inadvertently activating the side stand safety switch that kills the motor + will make the bike less susceptible to rolling off the stand when deployed 😀  It returns to the upright parked position with such positive action & a resounding thud that I added a rubber pad to the stop.

20210628_151033.jpg 

20210628_151108.jpg 20210628_151120.jpg

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 4

These two items have been on top of my wishlist. Now I have to pull the trigger.

For the side stand spring install - did you manage this without a proper spring installer tool? I've installed a few springs using line and pliers and such, always a bit of a wrestling match. Makes me think, if I was doing it right it wouldn't be so hard.

Edited by Boondocker

I ended up doing the old "Stuff quarters in the spring" method to install it.  worked pretty well!

I did the spring on the side stand with a set of vise grips like Cory shows in his install video.

4 hours ago, Boondocker said:

These two items have been on top of my wishlist. Now I have to pull the trigger.

For the side stand spring install - did you manage this without a proper spring installer tool? I've installed a few springs using line and pliers and such, always a bit of a wrestling match. Makes me think, if I was doing it right it wouldn't be so hard.

Vice grips worked for me as well.  Easy peasy. Wear safety glass, you'll need your left eye for riding.

• Like 1

The best tool I’ve found for installing kickstand springs. Is a pair of automotive drum brake spring pliers. They work great, long handles with lots of leverage. One handle has a special socket that seems to work the best to lever the spring onA86A5FE7-0F1B-4007-96B0-EDC347D41A8C.thumb.jpeg.24291ab966706531b6402f5e689ab07e.jpeg

• Like 2

I didn't even know they had a heavy spring. I did the ktm thing and used an o-ring  looped through the pillion pegs. Does the heavy spring completely stop the kickstand slap?

20210623_101716.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, Canadian-t7 said:

I didn't even know they had a heavy spring. I did the ktm thing and used an o-ring  looped through the pillion pegs. Does the heavy spring completely stop the kickstand slap?

20210623_101716.jpg

It sure does.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 6/29/2021 at 11:08 AM, Boondocker said:

It is a tough pull without the right tool..I improvised & used a bicycle tool I have...lol

20201226_140003.jpg

• Like 1

Also just a shout out to Cory @ Camel ADV Products for his outstanding service with a personal touch. Order placed Friday, shipped Friday, arrived Monday (2 days early) with a personalized hand written "Thank You" on the pkg ...he also adds the tracking number 🙂

Note: pkg arrived not opened...didn't notice the TY until I started opening it.

20210628_121651.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Richarddd said:

The best tool I’ve found for installing kickstand springs. Is a pair of automotive drum brake spring pliers. They work great, long handles with lots of leverage. One handle has a special socket that seems to work the best to lever the spring on

I got  a pair of automotive drum brake spring pliers for under $10. If it gets used a couple of times I'll call it money well spent. Pretty sure I needed another tool anyway 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I posted some of this in another thread but it's more germane in this thread. 

1-Finger Clutch Kit - I have no issue with the clutch pull (weight) but find the friction zone a bit narrow, so trying this kit to see if it will widen the friction zone. Hope I have this installed correctly. The arm is slightly offset from the stock piece. 

1188822279_CamelADV1-FingerClutchKit.thumb.jpg.69e077e56b09d61571e2e7191d163bbf.jpg

Post-ride follow-up on the 1-Finger Clutch Kit - Looks like my initial adjustment to get clutch free play was very close. I was concerned about it because I've done almost nothing with clutches except pull the lever and replace a cable. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I paid attention in class - I mean the install video on the Camel ADV website - good info there. 

Before riding the bike I did 2 static tests with the bike on the center stand.

1. Test for clutch engagement in neutral. Start bike in neutral. With a cold engine there is typically some drag or stiction that can cause the rear wheel to turn, which should go away once the engine oil is warm. Might not be any validity to this test but it's easy to check. - Pass

2. Test for disengagement with clutch pulled in. With bike on center stand, put it in first gear, let out the clutch, pull in the clutch and touch the rear brake until the wheel stops. The wheel should not turn while in gear with the clutch pulled in. - Pass

With those 2 conditions met, I figured I was in the ballpark and could take a test ride and get a feel for the engagement. As you can see from the photo and per Camel ADV recommendation, I started in the second hole. Lever pull is noticeably lighter and the friction zone is wider. It's a pretty friendly change as it took almost no time to get used to the new feel. After riding surface streets for a half hour, I made a small change at the clutch arm adjuster to increase lever free play by about 1mm. Free play was in spec before and after adjustment but now free play feels like it did before the new part.

• Like 3

• Supporting Vendor
On 6/30/2021 at 2:21 PM, prowlnS10 said:

Also just a shout out to Cory @ Camel ADV Products for his outstanding service with a personal touch. Order placed Friday, shipped Friday, arrived Monday (2 days early) with a personalized hand written "Thank You" on the pkg ...he also adds the tracking number 🙂

Note: pkg arrived not opened...didn't notice the TY until I started opening it.

20210628_121651.jpg

Our shipper Holly tries to get a note on everything going out. We really appreciate the support from our customers!

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Question for those who have installed the Camel-ADV 1 finger clutch arm.  Has anyone found that their bike did not have the oem washer under the snap ring  installed?  I found mine missing when I did the install and wondered if it's an anomaly or if others have found  the same?   It's possible it fell off when I removed the arm, but I've searched all around the garage, including the dark places and have found nothing.  The new arm does rock back and forth a bit so my guess is the washer is required for a more secure fit.

Also, can someone please measure their oem washer id,od, & thickness so I can source one?  The washer goes for $17.67 including shipping, so hoping there is an easier way to come up with one. Thanks.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 1/7/2022 at 3:46 PM, AZJW said:

Question for those who have installed the Camel-ADV 1 finger clutch arm.  Has anyone found that their bike did not have the oem washer under the snap ring  installed?  I found mine missing when I did the install and wondered if it's an anomaly or if others have found  the same?   It's possible it fell off when I removed the arm, but I've searched all around the garage, including the dark places and have found nothing.  The new arm does rock back and forth a bit so my guess is the washer is required for a more secure fit.

Also, can someone please measure their oem washer id,od, & thickness so I can source one?  The washer goes for $17.67 including shipping, so hoping there is an easier way to come up with one. Thanks.  

Just measured mine with dial calipers:

20220109_073229.thumb.jpg.fb392fcfb048455061e87a1b9c418e25.jpg

• Thanks 4

On 1/8/2022 at 4:46 AM, AZJW said:

That's weird. Maybe it got stuck somewhere in the depths of the engine? Mine did the same during the installation, and if I didn't see where it went I probably would've never found it again.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@jdub53. Thank you sir, good folks like you are what make this forum so helpful! 

@DonaNobisPacemAgreed. Mine probably fell off although I was aware of it supposed to have been there so I was looking for it.  Checking behind the plastic clutch arm guard was my best hope of locating it. Oh well....

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, AZJW said:

@jdub53. Thank you sir, good folks like you are what make this forum so helpful! 

@DonaNobisPacemAgreed. Mine probably fell off although I was aware of it supposed to have been there so I was looking for it.  Checking behind the plastic clutch arm guard was my best hope of locating it. Oh well....

I use a magnetic pick up tool when that happens and I search in the cavities and sometimes it works.  I've had bikes that I swear are nut, bolt and washer eating machines.  A motorcycle black hole if you know what I mean.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Thanks @Landshark. I too make a habit of running my collection of different size magnets on the bike,  under the workbench,  under truck tires, neighbor's cat, etc... No luck this time around however, with @jdub53measurements,  I found a washer that fit the ID & OD, but was about .010 too thick. A file and emery cloth took care of that so I'm back in business! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi

Today I installed 1 finger clutch and encountered 2 problems.

1. Pull at the lever is very easy and the leaver doesn't want to go back the whole way. I have to push the lever back.

When I move clutch arm then spring gives pretty strong resistance and it moves back the all the way. There is no resitsance in the cable as well, moves very easily in the housing.

2. This is bit more serious - clutch doesn't disengage. Is it possible that by changing the clutch arm is possible to break something?

Since the bike hadn't run for 6 months, I turned the engine on and waited for the oil to heat up. But this didn't help.

I noticed that the sping isn't fixed through the whole lever movement. May-be this causes the first problem and why the spirng doesn't have the power to pull the lever the whole way?

Video for this below. 

Any ideas? Sping is here so this is very urgent matter now 🙂

image.png.44f1ee4d92d84f6f3d59aa27f60514c7.png

image.png.ac9aba0e98ffc3db2f917b425c201e97.png

You have the arm installed too far clockwise on the splines.

Use a marker and draw a line across the arm and shaft as it now sits.  Remove the arm  and install it back 2 splines/maybe more and try again.

When you install the arm and push it forward it should stop approx 90 degree to the front of the bike.  

Watch Camels install video around the 7:30 mark.  You will see when installing the arm it is actually pointing slightly to the rear of the motorcycle.  When you push ahead with your finger it should stop approx 90 degrees to the front of the bike.  

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

Maybe my bike is different but I dont understand the point of the lever. My t7 has one of the easiest clutch pulls out of the 40+ motorcycles ive owned.

• Like 1

@S.Ga.Rider What... Are you some sort of Commie? It is the heart of the capitalist system to oversell you on crap you don't need. Heck... the T7 doesn't really need much, if anything, for 99% of us but what fun would that be. Me... sad to say I too got caught up in this. My monthly house payment is overdue, as I just sign my paychecks over to Cory at Camel ADV.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

You dont appear to have the proprietary  cable bridge installed that is inclusded with the clutch kit??  Looks like your oem cable bridge??  This may be causing your issue...and or not clocking the lever on the splines properly

58yrs old/brother/husband/father/paramedic/soldier🇨🇦