Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ténéré 700 - Changing Rear Inner Tube/Tire

orbsurfer

Removing the rear tire, depending on tire brand, can be a little challenging... In this video I am using some wood blocking and a C-clamp in order to simplify the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orbsurfer said:

Removing the rear tire, depending on tire brand, can be a little challenging...

Orb,

You make a real nice video. Your calm voice and soothing demeanor is reassuring, much like the meditation videos my wife watches.

Me...? I  am cursing, throwing things, and overall just a bastard when I am changing a stubborn tire.

• Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

This exact thing is on my to-do-list today. Goodbye Rally STR not going to miss you at all. Just a little bit scared, how stubborn the Motoz Rallz will be. 

@orbsurfer ABS-sensor is a nice tip 👍

Anything in a pinch. At home I have a bead breaker as part of the HF tire changer. Never has failed to break a bead on even my thick tractor tires. For reseating tube tires I use the Baja No Pinch tool. 

Plenty of Lube is the key...

Get Back On The Trails QUICKLY & EASILY. From 650cc to 50cc, Our Tools Are Specifically Designed to Install Tires Without Pinching Your Tubes!

ndhi5d3.gif

Edited by Offcamber
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just mounted a set of Motoz tires and it wasn't terribly hard. I only used 2-8 inch tire spoons and was able to break the bead by being persistent and spraying soapy water in as i pried down on the bead. The Motoz went on easily and it took me maybe 1 1/2 hours complete. I have an MRP stand to work on the wheels from and i will add that i have probably changed a 1000 or more tires in my day so a little experience helps.

On 7/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, Hobes said:

This exact thing is on my to-do-list today. Goodbye Rally STR not going to miss you at all. Just a little bit scared, how stubborn the Motoz Rallz will be. 

@orbsurfer ABS-sensor is a nice tip 👍

Mounting the Motoz Rallz was far easier for me than breaking the bead on the rear STR for the first time. 

FYI the No-Mar tire lube is a phenomenal tire lube.  So much better than the standard tire lube you get at an auto parts store. I don’t have a No-mar tire changer, but I think the lube they sell is half the reason their tire changers make it look so easy.  

• Like 1

@Liquidape Yeah wasn't half as hard as I suspected it to be. STR really was a pain in the ass getting off the rim. Other than that, it went like a breeze. 

Hello fellas. I’m currently changing tires on my T7, and I came across this (picture). The edges are sharp, should I do something about this before re-mounting the tube and new tire?

thanks!

22B47478-7C2C-446F-A8DF-FA3C3A6704EB.jpeg

Edited by JayD

Oh boy that was a fight, getting the Pirelli back tire off was the biggest fight of my life!

I only used trail tools, and if I ever get a flat far away from any help, I’m just going to give up 😂

16 hours ago, JayD said:

Hello fellas. I’m currently changing tires on my T7, and I came across this (picture). The edges are sharp, should I do something about this before re-mounting the tube and new tire?

thanks!

22B47478-7C2C-446F-A8DF-FA3C3A6704EB.jpeg

hi, i found similar after having a long screw pierce my rear tyre. it damaged the rim "tape" leaving a very sharp edge that would have done for my new inner tube for sure. i would suggest checking when changing tyres....as you should !

brian

@bth2Thanks for the reply. I changed my tires yesterday, and this damage was probably caused by me using tire spoons without caution.

What did you do with the sealing tape before installing new tube and tire?

I trimmed away the sharpest edges with a razor and put a piece of gorilla tape over it. Dont know how it will hold up, but I think it’ll be fine.

6 hours ago, JayD said:

@bth2Thanks for the reply. I changed my tires yesterday, and this damage was probably caused by me using tire spoons without caution.

What did you do with the sealing tape before installing new tube and tire?

I trimmed away the sharpest edges with a razor and put a piece of gorilla tape over it. Dont know how it will hold up, but I think it’ll be fine.

did the same. trimmed the sharp edge off and duct tape over the damage.

• Thanks 1

Replacing the Stock tire was a struggle. The tube gets caught between the tire bead and the safety ridge on the rim and makes getting the bead down into the center of the rim a pain in the A$$! No way I was going to fight with this and win away from the shop. Destroyed the stock tube in the removal process.
  I used tape on mine too.

3m 4412n. 

Edited by gone2seed