Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 radiator fan always ON

Turkeyonatenere

Question

Hi all, recently bought a 2020 T7 and rode 2000 km on it.

Before the 1000km maintenance, radiator fan was kicking in after the engine temp exceeded 100C deg and would cool it back down.

However in the last 200km or so i realized the radiator fan has been constantly on at a lower level (ie fan making half as much noise as when its fully working at +100C) 

This low level radiator noise starts even when engine is just turned on.
I ve been checking the engine temp during riding and it fluctuates between 80-100C degrees which was its normal riding temp and engine is not showing any signs of distress. 

Couple of reasons I can think of is 1-2 weeks ago i turned off the engine when the fan was still on and engine was hot but I dont think that would have caused any problems.

At about the same time weather got really hot and I ve been riding in 31C deg, maybe its trying to make up for the hot weather but this machine can ride in desert so didn't think 31C would be a big deal for it. 

Has anyone encountered this situation?

The constantly semi running fan noise is quite annoying, I can't hear the engine's pure sound because of it. 

Bike just came out of the 1000km maintenance couple of weeks ago so all coolants / engine oil should be fresh. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

Best

9 answers to this question

I see no mention of a two speed fan anywhere. To verify, start it up and listen for your noise, then unplug the fan and see if it goes away (or not). 

Per Yamaha....

Fan turns on at 105c and off at 100c

Thermostat starts opening at 80c and fully open at 95c

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

looks like the relay is sticking. the two speed story seems like if the motor is running 14.4 volts high speed or 12 volts motor off low speed.

Are you sure the noise is coming from the fan? Does the noise change with the speed of the engine?

Why not try to look at the fan to see if it is spinning?

Watched your video and it looks completely normal. Don't remember at what temp the fan kicks in, but by looking at the video, the fan starts at 105C, and then off at 100C. This is its normal cycle.

With the 2WDW tune, they drop that to 90C (IIRC) and 85C. There is no 2 speed. It is either on or off. Again, your video looks COMPLETELY normal. All liquid cooled vehicles with electrically controlled fans will do the exact same thing...start at a predetermined temp, and shut off at a predetermined temp. Unless the vehicle is moving at sufficient pace to move enough air to keep the engine cool, it will cycle all day long just as your video indicated.

I would suggest the 'low speed' noise you hear is the fuel pump. It starts as soon as you turn on the key. The high speed noise you hear is the fan. These are the ONLY 2 electric motors on your bike that will cause this noise. Try turning on your key and not starting your bike. Listen for the noise. Does it stop after 4-5 seconds? If so, then you are hearing the fuel pump. The fan is purely thermostatically controlled and will not start until the engine coolant reaches a predetermined (105C) temp.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

3 hours ago, Turkeyonatenere said:

I'm losing my mind over this

Your mind is gone... 

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Canzvt said:

Watched your video and it looks completely normal. Don't remember at what temp the fan kicks in, but by looking at the video, the fan starts at 105C, and then off at 100C. This is its normal cycle.

With the 2WDW tune, they drop that to 90C (IIRC) and 85C. There is no 2 speed. It is either on or off. Again, your video looks COMPLETELY normal. All liquid cooled vehicles with electrically controlled fans will do the exact same thing...start at a predetermined temp, and shut off at a predetermined temp. Unless the vehicle is moving at sufficient pace to move enough air to keep the engine cool, it will cycle all day long just as your video indicated.

I would suggest the 'low speed' noise you hear is the fuel pump. It starts as soon as you turn on the key. The high speed noise you hear is the fan. These are the ONLY 2 electric motors on your bike that will cause this noise. Try turning on your key and not starting your bike. Listen for the noise. Does it stop after 4-5 seconds? If so, then you are hearing the fuel pump. The fan is purely thermostatically controlled and will not start until the engine coolant reaches a predetermined (105C) temp.

Thanks Canzvt for your reply. 

Indeed the cooling system fan starts and stops at correct temperatures and I look at below the bike to confirm fan is not turning but humming noise is always there. 

So it must be as you say the fuel pumps.... if that's the case they were functioning much more quieter when I first got the bike.

In anycase it is what it is for now. In next maintenance I'm going to take a look at these famous fuel pump. 

Thanks for your time 

Check the fuel level in the tank. If it is low, the pump will appear more noisy. If it is full, the pump will appear quieter. This is due to pump vibration resonance in the tank. When the tank is full the fuel dampens the vibration.

It is doubtful the pump is getting louder, but possible. Good thing to have your dealer look into on your next service, but my guess is that it is completely normal. Good luck!

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I took the bike to 2 different yamaha services and they weren't able to detect any technical issues and sent me on my way.

I'm losing my mind over this so posted a video on youtube to see if anyone can recognize a problem.

Do you think this humming is normal or is anyone elses tenere also doing it?